Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Contender for player of the season right here along with bellamy imo.

skrtel02.jpg

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/skrtel-scoops-monthly-award

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

redzerdrog wrote: »
    As much as id like to see him back in football i hope it is not with that club

it won't be.

i don't believe it was ever on the cards, and was purely media hyperbole after Abramovich was rumoured to have contacted him.

i have little doubt that the Chelsea job would be of little interest to Rafa, and remember, by all accounts, he wants a chance at our club again.

none of the story fits, but it's funny to see some Chelsea fans get in a tizz over the guy.

the media really did succeed in poisoning the minds of a lot of supporters when it comes to Senor Benitez. pathetic really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Something somewhat realistic that would make me smile:

- We win the FA Cup, Kenny's legend is ensconsed for ever more;
    - Our league form picks up to something like 2 ppg between now and season's end and the likes of Downing and Carroll show something;
    - Rafa is hired back and Kenny sits beside him and shakes his hand at his returning press conference;

Then watch out world...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

SlickRic wrote: »
    it won't be.

i don't believe it was ever on the cards, and was purely media hyperbole after Abramovich was rumoured to have contacted him.

i have little doubt that the Chelsea job would be of little interest to Rafa, and remember, by all accounts, he wants a chance at our club again.

none of the story fits, but it's funny to see some Chelsea fans get in a tizz over the guy.

the media really did succeed in poisoning the minds of a lot of supporters when it comes to Senor Benitez. pathetic really.

Maybe it's all an elaborate ploy to try get FSG to bite before he 'signs' a contract elsewhere....

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Maybe it's all an elaborate ploy to try get FSG to bite before he 'signs' a contract elsewhere....

;)

as in Chelsea have a ploy to get us to hire Rafa back?

that'd be nice of them, trying to get us to hire back our best manager of the modern era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Something somewhat realistic that would make me smile:

- We win the FA Cup, Kenny's legend is ensconsed for ever more;
    - Our league form picks up to something like 2 ppg between now and season's end and the likes of Downing and Carroll show something;
    - Rafa is hired back and Kenny sits beside him and shakes his hand at his returning press conference;

Then watch out world...

Would be me ideal alright but I would like to see us under Kenny for a season more with the addition of 2 or 3 attacking/finishing players .

One thing springs to mind when I think of a Rafa return is Gerrard , Carragher etc .
    How was the last few weeks between them and Rafa ? .. Good , Bad ?

The reason I ask is the two boys have now carved a role in the club for when they retire , would they have an issue with Rafas return ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

as in Chelsea have a ploy to get us to hire Rafa back?

that'd be nice of them, trying to get us to hire back our best manager of the modern era.

From a media perspective... Or maybe Abramovich is a 'Pool supporter deep down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

delighted to hear this from Glen...

Rest of Piece Here.

I really wonder if Gerrard believes the team is better now than the team which we had a few seasons ago in the Champions league. No Alonso, Mascherano, Arbeloa, Crouch, Benayoun or Torres plus Kuyt was playing really well on the right wing.

I would agree with Johnson though. It was great to win the Carling Cup but qualifying for the Champions league is the next big step the club has to make.

@ESPNSoccernet: Paris St Germain's billionaire owner Nasser Al-Khelaifi: "It is true that we want Luis Suarez and Gonzalo Higuain."”

• Advertisement

They might get Higuain but not a chance they will get Suarez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If PSG came in for Suarez with a biger offer we'd be foolish to not consider it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I really wonder if Gerrard believes the team is better now than the team which we had a few seasons ago in the Champions league. No Alonso, Mascherano, Arbeloa, Crouch, Benayoun or Torres plus Kuyt was playing really well on the right wing.

Overall squad depth Id say its better but not a patch on the first XI..yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If PSG came in for Suarez with a biger offer we'd be foolish to not consider it.

Definitely...anything around 50 million and take it. 30 million on Darren Bent and 20 Fletcher.

I don't think this summer is the right time to get rid of Suarez unless he really wants a fresh start after all the BS of the last few months, which I hope not after the way the club has stood by him. He has had a relatively quiet season and clubs are still eager to get a hold of him so hold onto him for at least one more season before even considering it, if he has another so-so season I don't think there will be any less clubs interested in him but if he has a good season it will push his price up a bit more.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Definitely...anything around 50 million and take it. 30 million on Darren Bent and 20 Fletcher.

Might be able to get Fletcher for 5 million if Wolves go down but I do not think he is good enough. Darren Bent would fit in well though. Junior Hoilett or Victor Moses would be great signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Might be able to get Fletcher for 5 million if Wolves go down but I do not think he is good enough. Darren Bent would fit in well though. Junior Hoilett or Victor Moses would be great signings.

Moses conversion rate is terrible, Pretty sure after the frist ten games he had taken the guts of 60 shots and scored no goals. 2 Goals in 25 apps this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭joe123

Cant believe some people are thinking we should sell Suarez. Some daft fans out there.:mad:

People have short memory's. We blew 80+ ****ing million on **** last summer/january window. Suarez was our only shining light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

joe123 wrote: »
    Cant believe some people are thinking we should sell Suarez. Some daft fans out there.:mad:

People have short memory's. We blew 80+ ****ing million on **** last summer/january window. Suarez was our only shining light.

Worse still there are some that think Fletcher and Bent would be adequate replacements !! wwhaaaaaat ?

I am pie wrote: »
    Worse still there are some that think Fletcher and Bent would be adequate replacements !! wwhaaaaaat ?

I don't think anyone (bar maybe Chessplayer) actually thinks that, in fact most people were against the idea of Bent being in the same team as Suarez, never mind replacing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

joe123 wrote: »

Enrique?
    Bellamy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

We had a scout at Vasco's latest game, supposedly looking at Dede.

http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/?action=read&id=336587

• Advertisement

Dont know much about him , anybody ?...
    @thisisanfield: #LFC are close to a deal for Birmingham City winger Nathan Redmond (via @duncanjenkinsFC) Comolli was at St Andrews last night.”

mixednuts wrote: »
    Dont know much about him , anybody ?...

He was discussed on here last moth. Cracking young player and already a few levels above Sterling imho. Would be the type of young player that I would buy to get regular run outs from the bench despite him only being 18. He is easily as fast as Sterling and easily as skilled, but has better positioning and crossing, plus he is showing that he can make the jump from youth/reessie football to handling Championship footy and maybe better.

Saw him a year or two ago in some youth games and was blown away by him and have kept a eye on his career since then. Very much in the style of Lennon but for my money far better than Lennon was when he was 18 - 21/22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

**yawn**

I never said he didnt have good achievements but nice of you to put words in my mouth. you got a few thanks for it anyway so id say your happy.

All i said was it's never going to happen. Roman wouldn't have him IMO. His negative style of play and disastrous end to his last two jobs would count against him too much.

Honestly, people who post "yawn" or "meh" should be ****ing perma banned.

Many people here believe you already to be a WUM or Troll, something you've tried to defend on occasion.

Personally I don't mind your posting style, being the easily amused person I am I usually get a laugh out of it and you occasionally have a valid point, although it falls to the wayside with the amount of shíte you regularly post.

Use "yawn" again and you can **** right off though.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

"Jonjo wants to come to Blackpool and we want him here, and we will keep stalking Liverpool until we get him."

Reckon they get Skrtel to check the bushes at Melwood, because I'm pretty sure they'll find a Blackpool official hiding in them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

"Jonjo wants to come to Blackpool and we want him here, and we will keep stalking Liverpool until we get him."

Reckon they get Skrtel to check the bushes at Melwood, because I'm pretty sure they'll find a Blackpool official hiding in them :pac:
    He needs a full season but I'd be trying to get him in with a prem team - he needs experience at the highest level if he's to do a job for us imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

All i said was it's never going to happen. Roman wouldn't have him IMO.

And my post was designed to show you why it's foolish to completely rule him out. But dismiss it as a thank whore comment all you want.

Funny how Blackpool made a big fuss when Liverpool were interested in Adam. All sorts of claims about Liverpool talking about their player in public and unsettling the player. Plus lots of talk about how Blackpool don't do that sort of thing.

Guess the standards and morals that they like to warble on about don't apply to themselves.

PaulieC wrote: »
    He needs a full season but I'd be trying to get him in with a prem team - he needs experience at the highest level if he's to do a job for us imo

The likes of Villa would be perfect for him or maybe Norwich .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The obvious difference is that Adam was central to Blackpool while Shelvey is clearly not important to Liverpool this season - if he were he'd be playing.

Swansea, Norwich or even Bolton would be the kind of clubs I would look at for him or any other young attacking player we want to loan out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭budgemook

Villa mostly bypass the midfield these days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭budgemook

Kess73 wrote: »
    Swansea, Norwich or even Bolton would be the kind of clubs I would look at for him or any other young attacking player we want to loan out.

Doubt he'd get in the Swansea team!

mike65 wrote: »
    The obvious difference is that Adam was central to Blackpool while Shelvey is clearly not important to Liverpool this season - if he were he'd be playing.

The way I see it if a chairman or manager goes public and whinges about how he thinks another club is doing something wrong, then he would want to be sure not to do what he made out to be a terrible offense.

'Onest 'Arry is another who likes to talk about players at other clubs, but throws a big strop when anyone even half mentions a Spurs player.

budgemook wrote: »
    Doubt he'd get in the Swansea team!

They have a few injuries/suspensions in their wide forward and CAM slots atm. Plus they vary between an attacking 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 which would be perfect for a Shelvey style player if he was used in one of the attacking roles.

From twitter:

This Is Anfield ‏ @thisisanfield
    #LFC are close to a deal for Birmingham City winger Nathan Redmond (via @duncanjenkinsFC) Comolli was at St Andrews last night.

From twitter:
    Page 515 wink.gif

Page 515 wink.gif

Ah :o

Page 515 wink.gif

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone needs to switch to 30 posts per page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Id rather not send anyone to Blackpool, nothing against Blackpool FC but that chairman Oyston is tighter than two coats of paint. Helping Blackpool get into the prem wont improve Blackpool, all the money they earned last year was paid out to another company and not a penny went to the club. I wont shed any tears if Oyston doesnt get promoted again.

Of course thats neither here nor there regarding development of the player. Wigan would be perfect for players from LFC.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

mike65 wrote: »
    Someone needs to switch to 30 posts per page.

40, ainec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

K-9 wrote: »
    Now, now Chessplayer. You aren't questioning his goal rate, I've done that myself on the thread, you kind of started of with the idea of selling him, which got quite the reaction, as expected!
    I said sell him if we got a massive fee. The whole reason I suggested we might sell him was because of his poor stats!!

K-9 i don't understand the reaction at all. He's only been with us for a year and has done his fair share of playacting. It's not like he's some sort of established Fowler-like legend.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Chessplayer, you say we should sell Suarez on goal and assist stats alone. You deserve to be called up on rubbish like that.

Ever watch on the box /go to any Liverpool match this season? If you did you'll note that he's our best creative player by a mile. So let's sell him....derp

I don't believe that you're for real anyway.there's no way you believe some of the stuff you post.
    What in the name of jesus are you on about now rarnes? I said I'd sell him if we got over and above what he's worth because he's not producing enough end-product. We're creating chances from midfield, we're dominating possession. One problem: goals!

As for me not being genuine - why in the name of holy god would i be logging on here and posting my thoughts every odd day.

I said sell him if we got a massive fee. The whole reason I suggested we might sell him was because of his poor stats!!

K-9 i don't understand the reaction at all. He's only been with us for a year and has done his fair share of playacting. It's not like he's some sort of established Fowler-like legend.

What in the name of jesus are you on about now rarnes? I said I'd sell him if we got over and above what he's worth because he's not producing enough end-product. We're creating chances from midfield, we're dominating possession. One problem: goals!

As for me not being genuine - why in the name of holy god would i be logging on here and posting my thoughts every odd day.

The fact that you are basing your whole stance on stats rather than seeing what he contributes with your own eyes sums up how retarded your stance is. 99% of your posts come across as troll like, are you a troll?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Lads,I am running a small competition the prize is a Liverpool jersey and a free 6 month Setanta satellite subscription,I have 3 of them to give away.The question is very easy...

If you are interested...

http://www.irishkop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20505

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Some of the Suarez criticism is ridiculous...my main criticism of him would be that he tries to take too much out of the ball and doesn't shoot enough. The penalty incident against Arsenal was a perfect example, if he hit the ball first time he would most likely score but he tried to take it around the keeper and the ball was going out for a goal kick if he wasn't quite clearly and viciously taken out of it.

Leave the talk of getting rid of him to Fergie and his ilk.

:D Fantastic, yes he was but by his own volition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

The fact that you are basing your whole stance on stats rather than seeing what he contributes with your own eyes sums up how retarded your stance is. 99% of your posts come across as troll like, are you a troll?

No and I think that's a stupid stupid comment to make.

And I'm not basing my whole stance on stats, but goals per game is a pretty important measure for a forward. It's an indisputable fact that we don't score enough. Our midfield has been dominating possession. OBVIOUSLY Suarez brings more to the table than just goals. I never said he didn't.

Consider the following:
    1. We spent £35m on Carroll and have no hope of recovering that. As such, we are stuck with Carroll. The Suarez-Carroll partnership hasn't blossomed.
    2. Suarez could fetch huge money. That could be reinvested in a genuine goal-machine which could give the team more balance. Yes Suarez is a classy player but may not be right longterm option for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

I'm not saying i specifically want rid of Carroll, but the club could probably get 15 million ( reasons: young player/ "English talent"/ showed promise at Newcastle) for him this summer if we really tried. I'd rather take a 20 million loss in the summer than 35 mil a couple of years later, IF we have decided he is not going to fit into our system at this stage.

Like most businesses, he's going to depreciate rapidly in value as an "asset" thats not performing, so if Kenny doesn't fancy him (and i don't think he does), then lets swallow our pride and try and get someone else in instead. If the Americans are decent businessmen then they will realise there is more to it than saying "we've spent 35 million on him, so we're gonna make it work". If its not working, best get more money now than feck all in a couple of seasons time. Stoke might be interested for example, he'd suit their style more and they have splashed out decent money on players over the past couple of years, so they might bite. Sometimes if things are not working it makes sense to cut losses and try and recoup what we can. His partnership with Suarez is not working, so unless we are getting 50 million plus for Luis from PSG or something, then there is little point in keeping Carroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'm not saying i specifically want rid of Carroll, but the club could probably get 15 million ( reasons: young player/ "English talent"/ showed promise at Newcastle) for him this summer if we really tried. I'd rather take a 20 million loss in the summer than 35 mil a couple of years later, IF we have decided he is not going to fit into our system at this stage.

Like most businesses, he's going to depreciate rapidly in value as an "asset" thats not performing, so if Kenny doesn't fancy him (and i don't think he does), then lets swallow our pride and try and get someone else in instead. If the Americans are decent businessmen then they will realise there is more to it than saying "we've spent 35 million on him, so we're gonna make it work". If its not working, best get more money now than feck all in a couple of seasons time. Stoke might be interested for example, he'd suit their style more and they have splashed out decent money on players over the past couple of years, so they might bite. Sometimes if things are not working it makes sense to cut losses and try and recoup what we can. His partnership with Suarez is not working, so unless we are getting 50 million plus for Luis from PSG or something, then there is little point in keeping Carroll.

I honestly don't think anyone would pay £15 million for him. What club do you think would take a punt at that price?

No and I think that's a stupid stupid comment to make.

And I'm not basing my whole stance on stats, but goals per game is a pretty important measure for a forward. It's an indisputable fact that we don't score enough. Our midfield has been dominating possession. OBVIOUSLY Suarez brings more to the table than just goals. I never said he didn't.

Consider the following:
    1. We spent £35m on Carroll and have no hope of recovering that. As such, we are stuck with Carroll. The Suarez-Carroll partnership hasn't blossomed.
    2. Suarez could fetch huge money. That could be reinvested in a genuine goal-machine which could give the team more balance. Yes Suarez is a classy player but may not be right longterm option for us.

I have considered your points, we should get rid of the forward who despite not scoring as much as you expected (most regular users here were aware of where his strengths lay, and Kess I think? even outright claimed that most of his contributions would come from assists) is actually our top scorer and has a good few assists, and creates most of our chances (often from little or nothing) in every match while keeping the one who at times looks lazy and uninterested because we won't recoup the money we spent on him?

I would be of the opinion that it would be better to take the hit on Carroll and put whatever was gotten for him towards the cost of a new striker. There is evidence of what Suarez can do if he is partnered with a player who can play on the same wavelength as him and if Liverpool can provide someone like that we would see a better return from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I think people are being a bit unfair when they say the Carroll-Suarez partnership won't work.

They've only started two games together since the New Year. One against Brighton in which we scored six, and the other in the Cup Final where Cardiff defended like dogs.

I also don't understand why either Carroll or Suarez would have to leave this summer. Just because we sign another striker, doesn't mean that one has to leave. There's nothing wrong with having 3/4 good strikers in the squad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement