Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

lads, stop rising to it, and talking about Chelsea.

willmunny1990 has been infracted and strongly warned.

many posts deleted.

back on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We've been "in for" Munain every transfer window for the last 4 years I'd say at this stage.

Wish we had got him, talks a few years ago were around 10m can only see that being at the very least doubled by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

monkey9 wrote: »

Looks like McGrath is saying that Johnson should have backed Evra simply because they have the same skin colour. Really stupid comment by McGrath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Kess73 wrote: »
    Looks like McGrath is saying that Johnson should have backed Evra simply because they have the same skin colour. Really stupid comment by McGrath.

Wow.

Stupid.

The childish **** about "Liverpool getting hammered in round one" shows where the angle this Ex-Man Utd player is coming from. He must be back on the ale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Wow.

Stupid.

"It’s sad someone is having a pop at me," McGrath said.

"I thought supporting a player - Evra - with the same colour skin might not be such a bad idea for Johnson. When he is 52 and not as popular as he is now, he might think differently.

"Liverpool got hammered in round one and, if Glen is starting round two, I think it’s a mistake.

"With Liverpool just winning a trophy, I’d imagine Kenny Dalglish would prefer to put all this to bed."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Jeeezus...will this saga ever end.

It is ruining the reputation of everyone involved in it at whatever level.

Bizarre comments by McGrath, but wtf was Johnson doing dragging this crap back into the media again?

Wow.

Stupid.

The childish **** about "Liverpool getting hammered in round one" shows where the angle this Ex-Man Utd player is coming from. He must be back on the ale.

First thing I thought when I read his comments was that he must be on the gargle.

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Jeeezus...will this saga ever end.

It is ruining the reputation of everyone involved in it at whatever level.

Bizarre comments by McGrath, but wtf was Johnson doing dragging this crap back into the media again?

Maybe the fact that McGrath was still talking about it in interviews is why Johnson decided to speak out on it. McGrath has mentioned it on twitter, on the radio and on tv.

Plus there is a rugby player who is backing what McGrath said and who called Johnson and "Uncle Tom" for wearing the tshirt.

Am baffled at how he was able to call Johnson an Uncle Tom in an interview and had none of the anti racism groups pass any comment at all on it.

Reina is in an advert in another country and one anti racism group tries to make something out of nothing, but when a genuinely offensive comment is made about Johnson we hear nothing from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭joe123

After watching Bilbao last night it made me sad. Llorente and once again Munian looked quality.

I cant be arsed searching but there were quotes from Llorente in the Andy Carroll transfer window saying he nearly joined Liverpool?

Well without Champions league we wont have a hope of signing him. Shows that a big guy can play with the ball on the deck. I really wish we didnt waste 35 million on Carroll. :(

A word on that munian though, I dont watch spanish football week in week out so I dont know about his consistency, but whenever Ive seen him play he looks like a star. Only 19 too.

We really really need champions league football or we will miss out on all this sort of talent. Sadly I have no faith in Comolli/Kenny bringing in foreign quality.

Sure isnt Scott Sinclair as good :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Muniain reminds so much of a younger Iniesta

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

MD1990 wrote: »

a young Scholes aswell .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

MD1990 wrote: »

will he go to the Euros?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Trilla wrote: »
    will he go to the Euros?
    i think he will
    depends on if Pedro picks up him form or not

Clint Dempsey anyone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

mixednuts wrote: »
    Clint Dempsey anyone ?

For 6-7m yes.

But I'd imagine Fulham would be looking for more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

Yup. Sounds racist to me. Imagine this happened the other way round and famous old white footballers were saying that white players should back white players simply because of the colour of their skin??? :eek:

McGrath is a legend but should stfu imo!! The more he speaks the more he exposes the hypocrite within.

Clint Dempsey anyone ?

No thanks. That sod is on my blacklist after his playacting against us this season. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

Maybe the fact that McGrath was still talking about it in interviews is why Johnson decided to speak out on it. McGrath has mentioned it on twitter, on the radio and on tv.

Plus there is a rugby player who is backing what McGrath said and who called Johnson and "Uncle Tom" for wearing the tshirt.

Am baffled at how he was able to call Johnson an Uncle Tom in an interview and had none of the anti racism groups pass any comment at all on it.

Reina is in an advert in another country and one anti racism group tries to make something out of nothing, but when a genuinely offensive comment is made about Johnson we hear nothing from them.

Well Johnson has gotten alot of grief and been talked about alot recently simply because of the colour of his skin. Sounds pretty close to the dictionary meaning of the word racism to me.

No thanks. That sod is on my blacklist after his playacting against us this season. :)

You know me Kess ... you can never have enough good cúnts in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

djPSB wrote: »
    For 6-7m yes.

But I'd imagine Fulham would be looking for more.

Dempsey is a quality player but we are in the process of building a team at the moment. We should be aiming for players in their early twenties.
    I wonder if Hugo Rodallega would fit into the team. We have been linked with him before. Might be a good option if we can pick him up on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Corholio wrote: »
    I dont agree.

McGrath knows Johnson would legitimately be the only one who could have had experience in this situation, i.e. racism against a black person. Im not saying I agree fully with what McGrath said, but his reason for saying this about Johnson is reasonable IMO.

Also McGrath didn't 'basically' say it was alright for Gerrard, Carra etc to wear t-shirts. He said nothing of the sort.
    Well said. I agree with this entirely.
    Do you genuinely not get Johnsons point?

I'll explain it nice & simply for you......

The whole thing about racism is that we're all the same, black, white, yellow, orange, green, blue.

All. The. Same.

Love. Peace. Compassion. Etc. Etc.

As such, if there is a wrong commited (like racism), we should all be disgusted about it.

Equally.

What McGrath was saying basically was, it was alright for Gerrard, Carra etc to wear show their support of Suarez by wearing a tshirt. But it wasn't ok for Johnson, because he is black.
    I didn't say I didn't get Johnson's point. I understand his point, but I don't accept the textbook definition of racism as a valid argument in this context.

What I would say is that your post is one most objectionable that I've ever had the misfortune to read. However, well done on all the "thanks"!
    McGrath pretty much answered why Johnson was wearing the tshirt during his criticism of Johnson though, and by doing so pretty much nullified his comments.

But McGrath then went on the radio and on tv and repeatedly singled out Glen Johnson for wearing the tshirt, as well as singling him out on Twitter.

McGrath himself said that if he were a player he would not have worn the tshirt if he suspected his team mate was guilty, but by saying that he pretty much sets up the counterpoint that a player who thought his team mate was innocent would wear the tshirt, so then going on to single out Johnson on twitter , radio and on tv because Johnson was a black player wearing the tshirt is a bit ignorant as it pretty much walks over Johnson's right to think his own team mate was innocent. And to do so on the basis that Johnson was a black player and as such should be against Suarez could be seen by some people as calling Johnson a race traitor something that the rugby player actually did say about Johnson when he called Johnson an Uncle Tom for wearing the tshirt. Did not hear McGrath contradicting that comment on the radio or criticising the rugby player for an offensive comment.

Oh and how was the tshirt thing a pr disaster by FSG? Given they had no involvement in that.
    Johnson says it was the club's decision.
    "It was the club's idea. But obviously we all agreed."
    FSG run the club, don't they?

A bit odd to accuse McGrath of racism, I think. GJ says he has never come across racism in this playing career. Consider that fact for a moment, and consider what black players like Barnes and McGrath endured before Glen came along.

Pretty sad to see an also-ran like Johnson attack Paul McGrath in this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Clint Dempsey anyone ?

Wonder how him and Bellamy would get on?:D

I am a fan of him though, would have taken him prior to the last WC or just after it, think it would be a bad decision now though.

Does anyone really give a hoot about Paul mc graths opinion on the matter anyway.

He seems to be talking nonsense,poor fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

:D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Have always loved McGrath. A true legend, but almost always comes across as a bit dim in interviews.

• Advertisement

or McGrath has no idea what the hell he is talking about.

just because a person has endured racial abuse, doesn't mean automatically that he knows how to articulate himself about the issue. and it doesn't mean he's and expert on the subject.

yes, Johnson should've probably just said "no comment" in these modern times.

but for McGrath to hint that Johnson should probably support Evra because of the skin-colour shows a complete lack of understanding on the issue of racism. that's basically encouraging white people to support white people, and black people to support black people.

um, that will only heighten the tensions in the long run Paul.

maybe Johnson is privy to information we're not? maybe he knows Suarez, likes him, and felt like backing him? to broadly say that Johnson should have maybe supported Evra because of skin colour is loltastic at best, and at worst, the height of ignorance and/or racist itself.

Johnson says it was the club's decision.
    "It was the club's idea. But obviously we all agreed."
    FSG run the club, don't they?

A bit odd to accuse McGrath of racism, I think. GJ says he has never come across racism in this playing career. Consider that fact for a moment, and consider what black players like Barnes and McGrath endured before Glen came along.

It was also made pretty clear that FSG has no imput into the tshirt idea and that it was done at local level in the club with Dalglish being the man who gave the go ahead on it.

Also you think it odd to say that what McGrath said was not close to borderline racism? The man came out and said that Johnson should have backed Evra because they share a skin colour. He did not come out and say that Johnson should have gone with the side he thought was telling the truth, he came out with the ignorant comment that said Johnson should have picked sides based on skin colour.

Maybe McGrath is just a very stupid man who does not grasp that what he said, because if he is not as stupid as he comes across then he is nothing more than an ignorant hypocrite that spoofed his way through a number of interviews on the Suarez topic and who had no problem keeping his mouth shout when Johnson was referred to as an Uncle Tom. McGrath only seems to see racism when it suits him. Much more likely he is a dimwit who liked the attention his comments in the media got him.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Does anyone really give a hoot about Paul mc graths opinion on the matter anyway.
    A daft comment. The point is not PMcG's opinion, it's the fact that Johnson bizarrely accused him of being racist. McG's entitled to his opinion even if it's wrong. He's a famous footballing legend and has been on the receiving end of racist abuse, so that qualifies him to comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

For context for the initial incident recommend you watch an Argentine movie (..it's a bit bleak and heavy!!) called Carancho.

Darin (stars in Secrets of the Eyes - major Latin-Am filmstar) turns to a guy who is hassling him / annoying him and says "dale, dale negro" ...another scene with same context he says "dale negrito"

Both men, in both scenes are white.

Translation would be " yeah, yeah, man" in a defensive and dismissive tone.

Uruguayan culture and Argentine culture are the same, truly.

A daft comment. The point is not PMcG's opinion, it's the fact that Johnson bizarrely accused him of being racist. McG's entitled to his opinion even if it's wrong. He's a famous footballing legend and has been on the receiving end of racist abuse, so that qualifies him to comment.

If you want to listen to a guy with a bit of intelligence talking about racism listen to John Barnes, not PMG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

So, finally we have Liverpool fans in this long running saga willing to say someone said something racist

And that person is Paul McGrath.

Paul McGrath.

You cant make this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

so if I receive a punch in the face. Does that entitle me to comment on the techniques of professional boxing?

Just because you experience something doesn't necessarily mean you should publicly comment on it and especially if you haven't thought through your argument.
    A major problem on this issue is people are reacting to the subject without thinking about it first. Not gathering their own opinion on it but rather just mouthing what they feel should be said or regurgitation what others have said.

People need to have more responsibility and twitter and the likes doesn't help.
    From Ferguson, to McGrath, to Johnson to that rugby player, probably should of all just kept quiet or considered their position and how their words would affect an already volatile situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Fuhrer wrote: »
    So, finally we have Liverpool fans in this long running saga willing to say someone said something racist

And that person is Paul McGrath.

Paul McGrath.

You cant make this up.

How is your Spanish ? ...specifically your 'castellano' - that's how the locals refer to their language.

it's the fact that Johnson bizarrely accused him of being racist.

the only thing is, it's not that bizarre is it?

McGrath's comments are closer to racist than anything Johnson did.
    He's a famous footballing legend and has been on the receiving end of racist abuse, so that qualifies him to comment.

no it doesn't

especially if his comments are utterly moronic and miss the essence of racism entirely. he's implying clearly that black players should support each other just because they're black FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I wonder if Hugo Rodallega would fit into the team. We have been linked with him before. Might be a good option if we can pick him up on the cheap.

His goal scoring record appears to be pretty awful.

That Dede defender that was posted yesterday scores a decent amount of goals for a defender, about 1/10 games.

I actually had to go back and check if the quote attributed to you was real or altered, that should tell you something. Jumping the shark should be renamed in your honour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm so glad we're back to the racism talk - thanks Paul & Glen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Clint Dempsey anyone ?

Dempsey is a great player but it'd take a big fee to take him away from Fulham and at 29 there's probably better value to be had elsewhere.

Dembélé (sp?) looks quality as well, fantastic touch and close control, very strong and great eye for a pass. I reckon he'll end up at a bigger club before too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

tibor wrote: »
    Dempsey is a great player but it'd take a big fee to take him away from Fulham and at 29 there's probably better value to be had elsewhere.

Dembélé (sp?) looks quality as well, fantastic touch and close control, very strong and great eye for a pass. I reckon he'll end up at a bigger club before too long.
    I like Dembele and we need a Belgian to persuade the rest to join

tibor wrote: »

Good player and one that I was surprised to see Fulham get tbh.

Not sure where we would play him though. His best position is as the CAM or as the support striker.

Would be interesting if we got him and a quality CM in the summer as that would allow us to play a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with Lucas, new quality CM, and Dembele as the central triangle of either formation.

Another player who would be very similar in style and skill level to Dembele, but who is a couple of years younger, is Younes Belhanda. Basically he is a CM who is very good in the traditional CM role or as a CAM and has the pace and trickery to play on either wing when he has to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Please no, please no CMs. We have a plethora of them, of all shapes and sizes. I'm not sure Kenny/Comolli or whoever has his glasses on when pursuing our CM targets. We need pace and width, and we need someone to score goals. The last thing we need is to get another erection about an average CM.

• Advertisement

Please no, please no CMs. We have a plethora of them, of all shapes and sizes. I'm not sure Kenny/Comolli or whoever has his glasses on when pursuing our CM targets. We need pace and width, and we need someone to score goals. The last thing we need is to get another erection about an average CM.

The thing is we do need another CM, but we need a quality one that can play alongside Lucas as well as being able to cover when Lucas is out.

Neither Dembele nor Belhanda are that player imho as they are both pretty much attacking players rather than players who are as good at defending as they are at attacking (although Belhanda is a handy enough reader of the game and is capable of a decent tackle).

I agree that we need pace and width (along wityh a striker who can actually score goals on a regular basis), but this season has shown that we also need more than one quality CM at the club, especially if that one quality CM gets injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Please no, please no CMs. We have a plethora of them, of all shapes and sizes.

We've got 1 solid CM - Lucas.

Adam is ****
    Spearing is only a squad player
    Gerrard is old.
    Henderson and Shelvey aren't ready yet.

I think that's the textbook definition of "needing a midfielder".:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

We need a lot of things. It's depressing! Sorted for a wingers though as Doni is as good with his left as he his with his right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

For some strange reason I'm reading an interview with that utter ar$ehole Paddy Barclay, but I thought this answer from him was worth sharing.

You recently were talking about how journalism has changed, and how you used to be able to call Fergie up at his home on a Sunday afternoon, waking him up, to ask about his squad’s injuries for the upcoming fixture. How has the industry changed during your career?

Oh, enormously. I remember when Liverpool were at their peak and Joe Fagan briefly took over as manager before Kenny Dalglish. I met Joe and said I’d really like to do an interview. He said: “Yes that would be fine lad. My number is in the book.” So I looked in the Liverpool telephone directory and under Fagan J was his number. It was extraordinary.

For some strange reason I'm reading an interview with that utter ar$ehole Paddy Barclay, but I thought this answer from him was worth sharing.

That comment of Barclay's makes Joe sound like someone who stood in as manager for a few games and not a man who managed the team to a league title, a European cup, and a league cup, as well as managing the club in a number of other finals not least being his role as the man who managed us that day in Heysel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

That comment of Barclay's makes Joe sound like someone who stood in as manager for a few games and not a man who managed the team to a league title, a European cup, and a league cup, as well as managing the club in a number of other finals not least being his role as the man who managed us that day in Heysel.

Yeah, true. But on the flip side of that it is a nice story, and one that shows just how much the game has changed since those simpler times. Fagan probably wouldn't be able for all the media if he was around nowaday, Bob Paisley nearly wouldn't either.

Shankly on the other hand could be an almost Mourinho like figure, if without the massive ego :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Luis Suárez has won more penalties than any other player in the top flight this season, what a waste! :(

Dempsey is a quality player but we are in the process of building a team at the moment. We should be aiming for players in their early twenties.

I'd don't think age should make much much difference in deciding what players we sign, although it should be a factor in the fee being paid.

A couple of weeks before last summers transfer window closed, I was fairly confident that our squad was capable of finishing in the top 4. But then Spurs added established experienced players like Adebayor, Parker and Friedel and Arsenal added Arteta. These signings had a major say in who was going to finish in the top 4. While they all may be short sighted signings, it is alot easier to build for the future when you have CL football secured. Even Bellamy was a major success for ourselves.

I suppose its about achieving a mixture of youth and experienced players.

It was also made pretty clear that FSG has no imput into the tshirt idea and that it was done at local level in the club with Dalglish being the man who gave the go ahead on it.

Much more likely he is a dimwit who liked the attention his comments in the media got him.
    Kenny gave the go ahead after the bigwigs came up with the plan. FSG own the club, no passing the buck.
    You could be right about McGrath, he's no scholar!
    SlickRic wrote: »
    no it doesn't
    I happen to think it does qualify him and that to say otherwise is to talk through one's arse.

I'm not trying to win an argument here but I'm just gonna add this comment in case some of you have forgotten it: Paul McGrath is possibly the greatest Irish man to have ever lived. If he says something, whether it's wrong or not, regardless of whether he's had a few or not, we should listen respectfully, and decline to comment if we disagree. We can't have LFC fans to turn on him in favour of a poster boy who's had half a good season for Liverpool. If you think Downing and Henderson are flops, you obviously don't remember Johnson's first couple of years.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    If you want to listen to a guy with a bit of intelligence talking about racism listen to John Barnes, not PMG
    I mentioned Barnes.
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    I actually had to go back and check if the quote attributed to you was real or altered, that should tell you something. Jumping the shark should be renamed in your honour.
    GJ's a good player, but compared to the mighty Paul McGrath he is a league one journey man.

• Advertisement

The thing is we do need another CM, but we need a quality one that can play alongside Lucas as well as being able to cover when Lucas is out.

Neither Dembele nor Belhanda are that player imho as they are both pretty much attacking players rather than players who are as good at defending as they are at attacking (although Belhanda is a handy enough reader of the game and is capable of a decent tackle).

I agree that we need pace and width (along wityh a striker who can actually score goals on a regular basis), but this season has shown that we also need more than one quality CM at the club, especially if that one quality CM gets injured.

A Scott Parker type signing would be ideal. Someone experienced with genuine quality that won't cost too much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement