Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I don't geddit.

Look at every face and you might see a few new additions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I find a Dublin taxi driver to be a better source than the mirror tbh, as in not much of a source at all.

Not that it's any better a publication but it was actually the Sunday People.

It was also just posted to highlight that these stories would start to appear about Suarez.

It wasn't posted as it was Bastion of a newspaper.

Whether we like it or not Suarez is going to be linked to the 2 Spanish clubs while we struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Kess73 wrote: »
    Look at every face and you might see a few new additions. :)

Are you heading over anytime soon Kess?

Nothing planned myself except QPR away on St Patricks Day:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

There is no denying that we have a better manager and squad than last season and we are playing better football ,but we are still falling way short .

I'm also not one for looking back , be it previous managers , owners etc but when I look forward I'm worried .

If you write down a list of our squad players and strike off who you think would fail to get us back into a title contending squad then I'm afraid even after all we have spent you wouldnt have many names left in that sheet .

I have been saying it since the summer that you won't win anything buying Charlie Adam, Stuart Downing's of this world .
    I have no problem in spending over the odds for up and coming potential like Henderson but this sort of spending/risk should only be made when the core of a squad is established , not when your trying to build that squad .

Andy Carroll's purchase is off my sanity radar so I have no clue how or why that happened.

We now look like a squad that needs a new back bone as we have players that need moving on (quickly) players that should only ever make the bench , and serious holes in key positions in our starting 11 that can only be filled by new purchases or a reserve player hitting the ground running .

But on the spending side if I was John W Henry I would be saying "What the **** is going on " and be very careful about who I want spending anymore of the clubs millions .

Honestly I think we are all (in different ways) starting to see the symptoms of the bad dealings we have made in the transfer market .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

doc_17 wrote: »
    I know people are disappointed with the results and play this last few weeks but I'm taking a long term view.

While some signings have been poor value for money (Carroll, Henderson, Downing) and some others have not showed much this year (Adam) I think overall our squad is much better than at any time its been in the last 2 years. Losing Lucas was devastating for us given how he had been playing for the past 18 months.

I don't think we'll get the top 4 this season but next season will be a better one for us given the stability now at the club and with some more targeted investment in the squad. Kenny Dalglish didn't come down in the last shower and he'll know what changes have to made and he won't be shy in making them.

He has spent a good bit of money but given that we sold 3 of our best players for about 100 mil in the last 2 years and 2 summers when there was no net investment in the team this was money that had to be spent.

I honestly believe that the last thing we need is another change in manager in the summer (4 different managers in 4 seasons? is that what people want to see). When you give a very god manager time and back him you will get the results.

I agree 100% with the sentiment in this post.

I have a theory that a lot of the summer investment was a concerted effort to get proven PL players. To provide a platform/foundation from which to push the club forward. I'd imagine from this point onwards the club and particularly Comolli will be a lot more imaginative with signings.

Unfortunately for us, the PL proven players have been hit and miss. Enrique, Bellamy and to a lesser extent Henderson have all been good in my opinion. Henderson does not lack for effort, he works hard for the team every game.

Carroll, Downing, Adam have been a huge disappointment.

Carroll was better yesterday but he's never going to be good enough. As a target man, he's incapable of winning his own ball. N'Gog showed him how to lead the line.

Glad I stuck with avoiding the superthread and the match thread after the game ended.

It meant I avoided reading drooler posts whilst I was still annoyed about the game.

As for the game, well my thoughts on it have not changed from what I said in the short post I made in the match thread at the final whistle.

Spineless performance and the total lack of effort from many of the players was a disgrace. One, maybe two at a push, played well enough. Three players tried their best and their performances ranged from average to poor, but at least the effort was there with them.

Bellamy being the player whose effort and performance were good. Reina being the only other player who might have the same said of him.

Agger, Skrtel and Enrique as the three other players who put in effort. Agger's performance in terms of playing was alright and I think he has nothing to be ashamed about from the game. Skrtel made a few mistakes yesterday and did not play as well as he has done of late, but he tried hard and the effort was there. Enrique started off having a total stinker and although he improved as the game went on, he did not have a good game, but again the effort was there.

The rest were shyte.

Gerrard showed his age. He showed why he cannot be expected to be the regular driving force anymore because he simply is not up to it week in week out. He played poorly and worse than that he lacked effort.

Henderson was poor. Looked like a guy who was trying to hide when he could, and offered nothing in midfield. No effort and no heart.

Maxi was poor in terms of play, and no effort.

Johnson was awful at full back, awful going forward, and lacked effort.

Carroll was terrible. Aimless wandering, no fight, no effort, no heart. Terrible first touch that saw him struggling to control basic short passes a number of times.

Adam was the worst of the bunch today. Could not pass to save his life. Could not tackle to save his life. Lacked effort and looked lost. Was the ppor performance due in part to having Garrard and Henderson not being good enough for CM? Maybe, but that does not excuse the lack of effort from Adam.

It was the worst performance this season imo, and Kenny was glad to give the team stick afterwards.

Hopefully it'll have the desired effect and gee them up for the big matches this week.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It was the worst performance this season imo, and Kenny was glad to give the team stick afterwards.

Hopefully it'll have the desired effect and gee them up for the big matches this week.

Giles nailed it on PSS, when he said it wasn't a typical Liverpool performance. You can forgive losing a game when the players have put all they have into the game. You cannot forgive a performance when the players haven't put in any effort. Thats what disappointed Dalglish the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mod Note:

Lads, seriously cop on.

A. Regular posters should be at this stage in their lives be able to use the bloody ignore feature and not respond to people they think are trolls.

B. Posters who are acting as such have just recieved infractions and a permanent ban from the forum.

C. Anyone who called someone a troll on thread has recieved an infraction

Seriously like, just use the bloody ignore feature or the report post.

If you claim someone is a troll, you responding to them either indicates the following:

A. You think they are a troll and the best thing you can think of to do is engage in discussion with them. That makes so little sense it's funny.

B. You are just claiming they are a troll in order to lessen their points being made, in which case you'll be getting a yellow card.

As I said before, the only logical actions (which happen to be the ones the charter allow) when you meet someone who is a troll is to report it, and then possibly ignore them.

• Advertisement

Giles nailed it on PSS, when he said it wasn't a typical Liverpool performance. You can forgive losing a game when the players have put all they have into the game. You cannot forgive a performance when the players haven't put in any effort. Thats what disappointed Dalglish the most.

Spot on.

PHB wrote: »
    Mod Note:

Lads, seriously cop on.

A. Regular posters should be at this stage in their lives be able to use the bloody ignore feature and not respond to people they think are trolls.

B. Posters who are acting as such have just recieved infractions.

C. Anyone who called someone a troll on thread has recieved an infraction.

If you claim someone is a troll, you responding to them either indicates the following:

A. You think they are a troll and the best thing you can think of to do is engage in discussion with them. That makes so little sense it's funny.

B. You are just claiming they are a troll in order to lessen their points being made, in which case you'll be getting a yellow card.

As I said before, the only logical actions (which happen to be the ones the charter allow) when you meet someone who is a troll is to report it, and then possibly ignore them.

Just to add to the ignore bit if you don't mind.

For anyone using firefox...

This feature completely ignores users even when they are quoted. Basically, they disappear :)

Link http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/26567
    But you need to install this prior to installing the above
    link https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../greasemonkey/

Works a treat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Used to use it myself before being a mod required reading all the posts. Great little script!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

What's really annoying is that there seems to be no improvement in the team in the last six months, they seem as disjointed as they were pre season. Apart from Bolton at home and the two Chelsea games and Newcastle recently I can't remember any other games that i was excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Strong words from Kenny, I just hope the players react positively and step up to it. Fingers crossed John Henry backs him and we bring in a quality player before the window closes.

A midfield general is sorely lacking. Yes our wingers are weak and we can't score goals but a powerhouse in the middle would exert huge influence on a game. A Paul Ince, a Roy Keane, a Mascherano. A Ronnie Whelan would be nice, but the likes of Adam and Henderson shouldn't be automatic starters. I think they could used in the same way United use the likes of Carrick. Let's hope players who underperform are dropped. You can have an off game, but 2 or 3 in a row and you should be dropped.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

How much more proof does Kenny (or who ever controls the transfers) need? We have to bring in a good signing or two if we are even gonna challenge for a Europa spot, it's that bad and Suarez returning is still over-shadowed by having no striker to score these sometimes countless opportunities and a midfield lacking any speed/strength/tackling ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

Still sickened after that loss yesterday. Getting 4th was our only focus for this season and you can safely say it's a write off now. Shocking stuff, after all the money we spent. Love Kenny but think he has mismanaged horribly in all departments over the past 7 months. Andy Carroll may turn out to be the same knife in the back that El Hadji Diouf was for Houllier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hopefully the loss was the tipping point to convince Kenny and the owners that we need some top class fire-power brought in this month if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The spark seems to be gone out of the team with Suarez missing, he is the only player that make a chance out of nothing. The play seems aimless without him.

Regarding the current squad, its become obvious that Kuyt has finally run out of steam. Getting a fee for him as quickly as possible is a priority.

Carroll is never going to make it at Liverpool, Dalglish needs to recognise this quickly and dispose of him ruthlessly.

Krasic is being offered around Europe at the moment, he is worth a gamble to solve our right midfield issues, on a loan deal if possible.

Comolli needs to get creative in his signings. Teixera might be a sign of that, David that is. Finding a proper midfielder to anchor the team in Lucas absence is important if you want to have Gerrard or Adam in midfield.

It might also be wise to give more game time to players like Shelvey, Kelly, Robinson, Spearing and even Sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Strong words from Kenny, I just hope the players react positively and step up to it. Fingers crossed John Henry backs him and we bring in a quality player before the window closes.

A midfield general is sorely lacking. Yes our wingers are weak and we can't score goals but a powerhouse in the middle would exert huge influence on a game. A Paul Ince, a Roy Keane, a Mascherano. A Ronnie Whelan would be nice, but the likes of Adam and Henderson shouldn't be automatic starters. I think they could used in the same way United use the likes of Carrick. Let's hope players who underperform are dropped. You can have an off game, but 2 or 3 in a row and you should be dropped.

Empty threats IMO.

KK needs to bring in a replacement for Lucas most of all, their is absolutely no bite in Liverpool's midfield with him gone.

Most of the players under performing were bought buy KK himself, he needs to look at himself and judge himself as harshly as the players, you can put it down to lack of effort on their part but to be honest they don't have the quality anyway.

It is going to be very hard to sign quality players in Jan, coupled with the fact their is very little chance of Liverpool getting a top 4 finish this season, it is not going to be a very attractive option for talented players who are worth anything.

Liverpool are lucky their next games are City and United. At least you know the lads will be up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭joe123

Mod Note:

Lads, seriously cop on.

C. Anyone who called someone a troll on thread has recieved an infraction and a permanent ban from the forum.

If you call someone a Troll on here you get a permanent ban!? :eek:

Andy Carroll is so bad. Apart from looking like he doesnt actually give a ****, his first touch is awful. I mean I have a better first touch than him.

Just throwing a name out here as a loan option to cover Lucas being out. Flamini from Milan? Fallen out of favour there and he is decent at what he does. Was excellent before he left Arsenal.

And if we want Champions league we simply must bring in a striker this window. Carroll is not up to it and I reckon he will have one more season before being moved on.

Adam is a player we bought at a decent price but he is a luxury player. He is not good enough to be starting week in week out but should be looked at if we need a bit more creative play in the last 30 minutes of a game when the opposition are tiring and hed naturally have more freedom because of this.

He was badly exposed yesterday and a midfield pairing of him and Gerrard should never happen again unless Lucas is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

joe123 wrote: »
    Just throwing a name out here as a loan option to cover Lucas being out. Flamini from Milan? Fallen out of favour there and he is decent at what he does. Was excellent before he left Arsenal.

Not a bad shout. Out of contract in the summer too I think, so Milan would probably be happy enough to sell this window. He's on huge wages I believe though, since he joined them while out of contract, which might be a bit of a sticking point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

As a liverpool supporter I am really disappointed with the entire set up.

I'm fed up reading about how the latest game shows we need to go out and spend big.

We already did that!

I don't expect the owner to waste his money, that would be childish.

I expect the manager and chairman to make good signings 9 times out of 10.

Every signing made so far, bar Suarez, has been a huge failure.

Giving kenny and ayre more money is a waste.

You cant run a profitable business with poor management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭joe123

shangri la wrote: »

I'm fed up reading about how the latest game shows we need to go out and spend big.

We already did that!

Jose Enrique has been excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

We already did that!

To be fair, Enrique has done well for ye as well.

Regarding the current squad, its become obvious that Kuyt has finally run out of steam. Getting a fee for him as quickly as possible is a priority.

Carroll is never going to make it at Liverpool, Dalglish needs to recognise this quickly and dispose of him ruthlessly.

Krasic is being offered around Europe at the moment, he is worth a gamble to solve our right midfield issues, on a loan deal if possible.

Comolli needs to get creative in his signings. Teixera might be a sign of that, David that is. Finding a proper midfielder to anchor the team in Lucas absence is important if you want to have Gerrard or Adam in midfield.

It might also be wise to give more game time to players like Shelvey, Kelly, Robinson, Spearing and even Sterling.

do you base all your opinions on football365?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Just to add to the ignore bit if you don't mind.

For anyone using firefox...

This feature completely ignores users even when they are quoted. Basically, they disappear :)

Link http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/26567
    But you need to install this prior to installing the above
    link https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../greasemonkey/

Works a treat

That's a great yoke! Their name doesn't even show up on the thread!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

niallo27 wrote: »
    The spark seems to be gone out of the team with Suarez missing, he is the only player that make a chance out of nothing. The play seems aimless without him.

It must be hugely discouraging for the rest of the team to see the ball constantly being lost by Carroll. He is utterly incapable of winning any 50/50 battle. Thats simply not good enough for a 6'3" forward.

To think had we persevered with N'Gog we'd have a huge amount of extra money and in all likelihood, a better player.

do you base all your opinions on football365?

Huh??? I don't read football 365. Why have they posted something similar?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Some people are saying its good that they've got City and Utd coming up. But they're only cup games. We can't win our home games in the league; and now they have to expend all this energy in the cups?

Unless we qualify for CL we'll lose Suarez. Unless we qualify for CL we won't get close to signing the required talent. Its a downward spiral.

But at least we've got City and Utd coming up to help us forget. Forget that we can't get 3 points against relegation battlers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

ush wrote: »
    Some people are saying its good that they've got City and Utd coming up. But they're only cup games. We can't win our home games in the league; and now they have to expend all this energy in the cups?

Unless we qualify for CL we'll lose Suarez. Unless we qualify for CL we won't get close to signing the required talent. Its a downward spiral.

But at least we've got City and Utd coming up to help us forget. Forget that we can't get 3 points against relegation battlers.

That's what i'm scared about. Two fantastic cup performances followed by a shocking performance against Wolves

Huh??? I don't read football 365. Why have they posted something similar?:confused:

could have been the bbc but basically the article this morning mentioned all the same players you suggested.

manual_man wrote: »
    That's what i'm scared about. Two fantastic cup performances followed by a shocking performance against Wolves

3 points against Wolves. Thats a tall order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I don't think Suarez will go anywhere this summer especially not to Madrid anywhere he isn't good enough to displace anyone in that Madrid team Inter I suppose is a possibility but I don't think Inter could afford to pay for him they have seriously cut the wage bill and transfer spend in recent seasons probably due to FFP coming into play.

ush wrote: »
    manual_man wrote: »

3 points against Wolves. Thats a tall order.

It shouldn't be

he had a shocking game yesterday. i think we should buy cole or assou-ekotto this window.

he had a shocking game yesterday. i think we should buy cole or assou-ekotto this window.

I don't know if it's just me but i thought he looked a bit fat. Like he's put on a few pounds

could have been the bbc but basically the article this morning mentioned all the same players you suggested.

So what. Its a marketplace and agents are hawking their wears. Clubs are known to be looking for cover in certain positions. And this is all gonna get reported in the media and fans are gonna have their say on it.

Unless you're gonna uncover rough diamonds in obscure leagues , you're not one to talk.

Well I can assure you its all coincidental. Maybe I should turn professional with my musings?

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    Are you heading over anytime soon Kess?

Nothing planned myself except QPR away on St Patricks Day:)

Am back home next weekend, and will be catching the game against United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

kkkultv1k20.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

Mod Note:

Lads, seriously cop on.

C. Anyone who called someone a troll on thread has recieved an infraction and a permanent ban from the forum.

am i reading this right..

the shi t stirrers who come in here to cause trouble get a warning and maybe a temp ban..

those who fall into their trap and respond and call them trolls get a permanent ban??

really?

Has anyone any thoughts on Jelavic from Rangers? We are strongly being linked with him in Scottish papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

bite your tongue, use the report post and leave it at that.

mike65 wrote: »
    bite your tongue, use the report post and leave it at that.

Jelavic isn't that bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Has anyone any thoughts on Jelavic from Rangers? We are strongly being linked with him in Scottish papers.

Hes a poacher, scores goals & normally stays on the last man. Only a few like him on here i think but in my opinion hes the type of player that we need. To the people who think hes playing in the poor league blah blah all the usual look at david goodwille. Doing very well at blackburn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I don't geddit.

i take that as a compliment to my photoshop skills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

eldwaro wrote: »
    i take that as a compliment to my photoshop skills

I didn't even notice Rafa at first.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I didn't even notice Rafa at first.:pac:

the temptation was there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

If Goodwillie^^ 2 goals in 15 including one he handled into the net is the best example of recent "succesful" singings from SPL it tells you everything you need to know about the standard.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement