Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

K-9 wrote: »
    Another good contributor gone, we've zerks as an able replacement though! ;)

Do ya reckon they take it in shifts, or just have multiple accounts?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

So it's basically "as you were" in the race for 4th. Everyone battling for it decided to stand still this weekend. The team that ploughs on consistently while the rest stand still will be the ones who eventually get it. Plenty left to play for, there are 54 points up for grabs with 5 points separating us from Chelsea in 4th.

I'm reluctant to even address any of the comments that infer Kenny should go. It's embarrassing. I'd give him 5 years and chuck as much money as possible at him.

It's laughable that people even wonder out loud whether John Henry would be sitting at home making a 50/50 decision on whether to back the club financially in the transfer market because a few of this years major signings have not yet worked out. Laughable because we are only 22 games into the first season at the club for some of these players, but also laughable because if he really does think along those lines we are truly f****d whether Kenny is manager or not. If every club owner refused to back the manager because some signings did not work out, there would be no transfer market. I would say that about 10% of transfers are an amazing success, 20% are good, with the rest being either mediocre or failed at any given club.

Hopefully John Henry can see that, unlike a fair few of you lot, otherwise we are in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Do ya reckon they take it in shifts, or just have multiple accounts?

lol, funny image of them all clocking in and out, weary on the night shift or after a night on the sauce, taking it in turns to make cups of tea, the idle dry chat in the staff room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Changes for who? Most of players will still start because we don't really have much better in back up.

just remembered we have a bet going

22 games gone, liverpool are 19 points off the top and 8 ahead of villa

yis would want to pull the finger out, coz bad and all as we are, it's looking in my favour :p

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Helix wrote: »

yis would want to pull the finger out, coz bad and all as we are, it's looking in my favour :p

What's at stake?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

spockety wrote: »
    It's laughable that people even wonder out loud whether John Henry would be sitting at home making a 50/50 decision on whether to back the club financially in the transfer market because a few of this years major signings have not yet worked out. Laughable because we are only 22 games into the first season at the club for some of these players, but also laughable because if he really does think along those lines we are truly f****d whether Kenny is manager or not. If every club owner refused to back the manager because some signings did not work out, there would be no transfer market. I would say that about 10% of transfers are an amazing success, 20% are good, with the rest being either mediocre or failed at any given club.

Hopefully John Henry can see that, unlike a fair few of you lot, otherwise we are in trouble.

Giving him 5 years and throwing money at him is even worse then suggesting he be sacked. Why give him potentially more money to waste? I'd be amazed if Henry was apprehensive about giving Kenny and Commolli loads of more money. I can only imagine what he's thinking to himself when he watches the performances of Andy Carroll and Stuart Downing. Henry doesn't have a bottomless pit of money, I hope he doesn't just hand it over to Kenny so he can spunk it on more average brittish dross.

Still like my side of it. It's going to be close though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

zerks wrote: »
    Don't think this has.I don't read every page in this thread so didn't know the gif was posted already,even so it deserves to be posted every few pages.
    niallo27 wrote: »
    I don't get. Are we supposed to be disappointed liverpool didn't sign young, jones and wickham.

That was posted in August, if not earlier. It's aged pretty badly alright.

Any gifs about Arsenal beating us to Chamakh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Young, Wickham and Jones absolutely ripping up the Premier League at the moment. Fair dues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

5starpool wrote: »
    What's at stake?

€50

if pool finish closer in points to the top than they do ahead of villa he wins, if villa are closer to pool in points than pool are to the champions i win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And ye are giving out stink about McLeish!

@stumpypeeps, names mentioned in the Summer of 2010! The point is the club is a far more attractive proposition now than then. I'm not advocating Kenny should go btw, I'll wait till the end of the season and see!

@spockety, completely agree on the transfer thing. I've seen a few posters say Henry wont give Kenny more money for transfers based on his record so far, if that's the case, Kenny might as well go now! Downing and Carroll is a big worry though, as an owner of a business he must be wondering about £55 Million on those 2. On the positive side, Bellamy and Enrique have been successes, Adam and Henderson okay.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

€50

if pool finish closer in points to the top than they do ahead of villa he wins, if villa are closer to pool in points than pool are to the champions i win

The bet is just Liverpool finishing 10 points ahead of Villa.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73794784#post73794784 post #968

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Don't think this has.I don't read every page in this thread so didn't know the gif was posted already,even so it deserves to be posted every few pages.

Well you're not much of a United fan then:pac:

K-9 wrote: »
    @spockety, completely agree on the transfer thing. I've seen a few posters say Henry wont give Kenny more money for transfers based on his record so far, if that's the case, Kenny might as well go now! Downing and Carroll is a big worry though, as an owner of a business he must be wondering about £55 Million on those 2. On the positive side, Bellamy and Enrique have been successes, Adam and Henderson okay.

It's not just any normal business though. Sport, and football are different.

If he's losing sleep over spunking £55m at the top end of the Premier League, then this business is not for him and he should get out of it.

(I suspect however that that's not the case, and would be amazed if he is overly concerned at this stage).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Anyone watching tv3, I reckon they will be making a film like this about the Suarez evra case in years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

There has to be a sensible middle ground between 'sack Kenny' and 'The King can do no wrong.' The fact is, our signings have been awful and the owners have every right to be apprehensive about handing over more money. But I'm not calling for Kenny's head. I hate how things are always presented as black and white in football. It is possible to criticise a manager when they deserve criticism, without calling for their head.

Kenny will be learning as he goes, lets just hope hes learned something from his signings so far. But the point is that there has to be a sensible alternative. Revise the transfer policy perhaps? Whats certain is that something has to happen before the club throws £20m at someone like Dafoe or Bent.

Enrique, Suarez and Bellamy have been good signings. We haven't seen enough of Coates or Doni to judge. I could take or leave the rest. That may seem harsh on young Henderson, but I just feel that he was a misjudged, rather than bad, signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Hi guys, this is my first post in the Liverpool thread, I'm a big supporter.

What I really want to post about is Andy Carroll.

In my opinion he's a Geordie Kevin Kilbane i.e. a donkey, except he's a donkey that's worth £35 million.

Can someone please explain to me why we bought a donkey for £35 million when there's scores of decent players for a similar price or decent young players for a lot less?

I find it difficult to watch a match that he plays in. I don't know if he's angry at the ball or if he's trying make love to the ball but it's a stark contrast to the Latin grace of Suarez.

I know he's young but he's not worth £35 million, Pardew must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Sorry if this has been discussed in detail before or if there is another thread for it.

EDIT

Please note I am being civil and trying to keep in-line with the charter. There would be many expletives if I was discussing this in real life and calls to 'have him taken care of'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Sindri wrote: »
    Hi guys, this is my first post in the Liverpool thread, I'm a big supporter.

What I really want to post about is Andy Carroll.

In my opinion he's a Geordie Kevin Kilbane i.e. a donkey, except he's a donkey that's worth £35 million.

Can someone please explain to me why we bought a donkey for £35 million when there's scores of decent players for a similar price or decent young players for a lot less?

I find it difficult to watch a match that he plays in. I don't know if he's angry at the ball or if he's trying make love to the ball but it's a stark contrast to the Latin grace of Suarez.

I know he's young but he's not worth £35 million, Pardew must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Sorry if this has been discussed in detail before or if there is another thread for it.

EDIT

Please note I am being civil and trying to keep in-line with the charter. There would be many expletives if I was discussing this in real life and calls to 'have him taken care of'.

Don't you ever put Kilbane down like that. A superb servant to the Irish team, and has been a very useful player.

He is the exact opposite of everything Carrol is. Kilbane was useful.

Don't you ever put Kilbane down like that. A superb servant to the Irish team, and has been a very useful player.

He is the exact opposite of everything Carrol is. Kilbane was useful.

Sorry, that was not meant to be an insult to Kilbane, a great servant, but still a pack mule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Welcome to the thread Sindri.

Your post is harsh on Kevin Kilbane, although I'm grateful that someone has finally had the courage to bring up Carroll for the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Kenny gets lots of leeway from me because regardless of the players we have bought I felt he has been doing the right things on the pitch. Even against Stoke contrary to many of the opinions I felt we played well. It needed some tweaking like a better option that Dirk up front and getting more runners into the box but in general I was happy that we controlled the game and played some good football. Yesterday as I have already said gave me cause for concern cause I felt tactically some of the decisions were awful.

Opr

• Advertisement

Welcome to the thread Sindri.

Your post is harsh on Kevin Kilbane, although I'm grateful that someone has finally had the courage to bring up Carroll for the first time.

Is this sarcastic or has no one actually brought him up?

Sindri wrote: »
    Is this sarcastic or has no one actually brought him up?
    Yeah, I was being a sarcastic bastard. Sorry :o

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Well you're not much of a United fan then:pac:

clap.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Have you nothing better to do on a Sunday night?

Nah,it's this or Dancing On Ice:D

After my mischief making I'll post my feelings on how I see things at Liverpool at the moment.

If it was any other club (bar City) I'd feel sorry for Liverpool.Half my mates are 'pool fans and their mantra is "Next Year". Not going to happen any time soon.

Dalglish was meant to be the return of the messiah but I'm afraid ye were sold a pig in a poke.Tactics that are outdated,no plan B when things are going wrong on the pitch.The thought that buying British would transform the club and galvanise it.His poor handling of the Suarez case.

Overpaying for mediocre players,we all know peoples thoughts on Carroll.I posted ages ago about Henderson when United were linked with him-don't rate him and glad he went to Anfield instead.As for Adam-the sun shines on a dogs arse sometimes but he's being found out lately.Downing is the same,someone posted OPTA stats for last weeks game and he spent most of it going backwards,not great for a winger.

Will the Yanks give Kenny another £100 million odd to fix this? I can't see it happening.

Cracks are appearing and the dissenting voices growing louder against Kenny,even his public lambasting of his players was a mistake-this is something to be done privately.The worst performers yesterday were players he bought.
    His legendary status at the club shields him but that shield is slipping,will ye give him 'til the end of the season or will the unthinkable sacking happen if this poor form continues?

ps. If I post any more gif's or pics here,they are done in good humour that's all.

Half my mates are 'pool fans and their mantra is "Next Year".

In fairness, it's in the contract when we sign up.

spockety wrote: »
    It's not just any normal business though. Sport, and football are different.

If he's losing sleep over spunking £55m at the top end of the Premier League, then this business is not for him and he should get out of it.

(I suspect however that that's not the case, and would be amazed if he is overly concerned at this stage).

I doubt he's losing sleep over it but I'd say he is wondering how the 3 of the 4 biggest transfers at the club, £70 Million, have had little impact on the team. Using your 30% rough guide, one of them should have been good. Ignoring that is ignoring your own test!

Suarez is a success, though we've seen why other clubs weren't willing to take the risk, you've to take the good with the bad with him. Enrique very good, though limited attacking wise, Bellamy good, Adam okay for the money, needs a Lucas beside, just like Gerrard.

A good CM should be a target in the Summer. The type Kess talks about, good at being a DM if needs be but can link to an AM or CF. We've Lucas and Spearing for the DM, Gerrard and Shelvey for the AM, the link in between is the problem. Adam isn't bad, but not a 30+ PL starter player.

The other areas we need to buy are pretty obvious but a quality signing in that area would make a huge difference. Defence is sorted, LB hopefully will have Robinson as cover. Any doubts about Lucas and his importance are gone, what we need now is a partner for him. A smart, intelligent partner, somebody who can pick a pass, read a game, the new Alonso (I'll take half an Alonso). Gerrard can't do it, Henderson can't, Adam is the squad option.

So Striker, RW and an intelligent CM to partner Lucas.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Liverpool will sign Andy Johnson. Kenny told me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

His legendary status at the club shields him but that shield is slipping, will ye give him 'til the end of the season or will the unthinkable sacking happen if this poor form continues?

Well there is little chance of the supporters getting him sacked, Hodgson had
    no capital, no good will to draw on which is why he went so soon. If Dalglish can't turn the ship around between now and May then I think he'd be obliged to leave to be honest. Mind you I don't see Werner and Henry giving any money if they don't see improvements in both play and results so he'd be toast anyway.

I can't see KK forcing the owners into making a decision by digging his heels in. Kenny will do right by the club, even if it means going upstairs.

• Advertisement

Kenny gets a bye because the team usually plays well under him, just missing the finishing touch. The last couple of matches have been worrying.

As for criticising the players, zerks would be criticising Kenny if he supported the players, a win, win for him.

Far too many droolers on here talking absolute nonsense. Apparently Kenny is some deity figure, he gets criticised loads on Liverpool threads. Shows you how out of touch the droolers are!

I honestly can't remeber anyone on this thread calling ever calling kenny the "messiah" or the "saviour" yet all the boys under the bridge seem to think we've spent all this time waxing lyrical about how that's all we've ever said about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The FSG boys are in town tomorrow, so no doubt a few things will be said and understood

I honestly can't remeber anyone on this thread calling ever calling kenny the "messiah" or the "saviour" yet all the boys under the bridge seem to think we've spent all this time waxing lyrical about how that's all we've ever said about him.

It's win, win. Ditch him, a Liverpool legend failed AND Liverpool have no loyalty to managers. The droolers said we were too loyal previously!

Keep him , it'll take time. The droolers, ironically, don't understand it takes time. They weren't United or Chelsea fans in the 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

mike65 wrote: »
    The FSG boys are in town tomorrow, so no doubt a few things will be said and understood

I'd say they're mainly coming in for the Cup semi final!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Was looking at Liam Neeson's wiki page, as you do and spotted this 'Neeson is a fan of Liverpool F.C.[45]'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Was looking at Liam Neeson's wiki page, as you do and spotted this 'Neeson is a fan of Liverpool F.C.[45]'.

Yeah, he is. I've seen him at a few matches!

Well, at least one red will be beating Wolves next week.

*groans inwardly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

The same emptyheads bring up the "our year" thing as a stick to beat us with. It's a joke lads, sorry to burst your bubble.

United fans pontificating about how loyal you should be to a manager gives me a laugh. Usually lads in their 20's who've never experienced life without one of the greates managers in the history of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

mike65 wrote: »

They'd better be bringing their cheque book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

With the clan at a Fulham game.

slide_1327_19492_large.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

daithijjj wrote: »

I remember that game. Pretty sure it was just after his wife died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I remember that game. Pretty sure it was just after his wife died.

Yea, two weeks after she died.

daithijjj wrote: »

The head on him. You wouldn't think he's Irish at all, would you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Kenny should get Neeson in as a midfield enforcer, he'd have the opposition bricking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Kenny should get Neeson in as a midfield enforcer, he'd have the opposition bricking it.

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for the ball, I can tell you I don't have the ball. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you give me possession now, that'll be the end of it. I will not tackle you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will tackle you, I will find you, and I will break your fcukin' legs."

aaronh007 wrote: »
    "I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for the ball, I can tell you I don't have the ball. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you give me possession now, that'll be the end of it. I will not tackle you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will tackle you, I will find you, and I will break your fcukin' legs."

Came to post something remarkably similar.

All the same, us Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Grayditch wrote: »
    Came to post something remarkably similar.

All the same, us Liverpool fans.

:pac: peas in a pod us

And to be fair, after reading it aloud, it sounds like something Souness might say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

aaronh007 wrote: »
    :pac: peas in a pod us

And to be fair, after reading it aloud, it sounds like something Souness might say :D
    Souness is a rangers man.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygVgxYa3mlo

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »

Dalglish was a Rangers supporter in his youth. :D

Love the commentary, "that is certainly a booking". Shows how much the game has changed!

ush wrote: »
    The head on him. You wouldn't think he's Irish at all, would you?

He is being lined up to play the title role in Sami's biopic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement