Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

How about 4th place AND The FA Cup/League Cup? Fcuk it, Kess has won me over. :p

I posted something similar earlier in the week - if we can put together any sort of a run (3 wins or more) and get a bit of momentum we're right back in the race for 4th.

Lord knows we're far from perfect, but Arsenal and Chelsea have serious flaws as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Morzadec wrote: »
    WHich would be a better season? 4th place and no cups or League Cup and FA Cup won?

I'm not sure what I'd go for...but probably the cups
    Cups every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Benzino wrote: »
    All Star Mr & Mrs is just on the telly here, seems Kenny and Marina are going to be on it next!

Edit: They are on now on TV3!

I imagine some tired and emotional ManYoo fans, forced into watching TV with the missus having used up their brownie points earlier in the day, screaming at the TV right now
    Not me,I just made her turn it off :D
    Edit:Saying manyoo is so ghey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Anything could happen in the FA Cup, we'll probably get Chelsea (A), nice easy one! :D

The CC and 4th should be the targets and see what happens in the FA Cup.

2 massive wins for the players in the last 4 days though. As the Gerrard quotes after the City game showed, its important to win these games.

Reputations, legends and histories built on days like them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

tumblr_lyirq9gmU21r8fm3eo1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That's class!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

lets just hope that child wasnt thrown into the sky with the first goal hence not in the picture for the second!

oh...i just threw this together

babybellerz.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i think i speak for everyone when i say...

GET THE MOTHERFÚCK IN!!!!!!!

SlickRic wrote: »

It is a beautiful day :-)

And just when you think the day can't get any better, lo and behold, we get this rare spot, a rare and never seen before force of nature in his current habitat, I give you:

2 minutes and 7 seconds of Andy Carroll highlights in a Liverpool shirt! :eek:

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

K-9 wrote: »
    And just when you think the day can't get any better, lo and behold, we get this rare spot, a rare and never seen before force of nature in his current habitat, I give you:

I must say, having watched these highlights, he was better today than I gave him credit for earlier in this thread. My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

K-9 wrote: »

He looks fit now.

His touch was good and worked hard.

Hopefully there's more of this to come.

Tusky wrote: »
    I must say, having watched these highlights, that he was better today than I gave him credit for eariler in this thread. My bad.

I'm awaiting the Attenborough gate scandal on that video! :D

The problem always with Carroll is that even when he plays well or half decent there is no support for him, especially if Bellamy isn't on the pitch. It's why Bellers is so highly rated, put him in any system and he'll do a job. Pass and move with Maxi and Suarez, right at home because his technical game is good, along with Carroll, he anticipates Carrolls' flicks. Kuyt rarely does it, and look what happened when he did!

Bellamys' goal against City was praised for being good, excellent technical play, Kuyts' goal is just as damn good, just simple and effective.

He actually was throwing his weight about today and that was good to see, should do his confidence good. It's funny how he just can't buy a goal, it's like watching Torres, the woodwork is his friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/EXCLUSIVE-Liverpool-Dirk-Kuyt-told-he-is-not-leaving-with-interest-from-Roma-and-Fiorentina-article858903.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Dirk Kuyt fired Liverpool to a dramatic victory over Manchester United at Old Trafford – after being told he will not be allowed to leave Anfield.

The Dutch striker was the subject of an enquiry from Fiorentina and Roma during the week after the Italian clubs were told that Kuyt was becoming disillusioned at playing a peripheral role under Kenny Dalglish.

His Dutch agent, Rob Jansen, travelled to Merseyside last weekend only to be told that the striker was going nowhere.
    And he showed just why Kenny Dalglish wants to keep him by coming off the bench to score an 87th-minute winner to sink United and send Liverpol into the fifth round of the FA Cup.

Kuyt said: “It was a great header to me by Andy Carroll and all that I needed to do was score.

“We have proved we can compete with the best.

“Maybe United were the better team, but at the end of the day it is all about scoring goals.”

Daniel Agger headed Liverpool ahead only for Ji-Sung Park to equalise before half-time. But Kuyt capitalised on Patrice Evra’s poor marking to win it for Kenny Dalglish’s side.

Evra was given a rough ride by Liverpool fans who haven’t ­forgiven him over his accusations that he was racially abused by Luis Suarez when the team’s met at ­Anfield in October.

Suarez was handed an eight-game ban by the FA after they upheld Evra’s complaint.

And last night Liverpool officials were trying to identify a supporter who was caught on camera apparently making monkey gestures to the United full-back.

Both Dalglish and Sir Alex ­Ferguson were happy that the game was played in a good spirit – although the United boss could not resist having a dig at referee Mark Halsey.

Dalglish reacted angrily when he was asked whether his fans were wrong to jeer Evra.

“Are you winding me up?” said Dalglish. “Why would I be disappointed for Patrice Evra? I’ve been booed and I don’t see it as an issue.

“The fans are entitled to support their team and there was absolutely no problem.”

United felt that Kuyt’s winning strike may have been offside, but Ferguson said: “I haven’t seen it.

“You don’t always get decisions here anyway. We didn’t get anything from the referee. In a way it was well handled. It was a sensible performance from the referee and the players showed great respect to each other. There wasn’t a bad tackle in the game. It was played in a good spirit.”

Both clubs were anxious to promote good behaviour – both on and off the pitch.

And Ferguson has won himself some respect on ­Merseyside after it was revealed he made a donation to the Hillsborough Appeal when he visited ­Anfield in the aftermath of the tragedy that took the lives of 96 Liverpool fans back in 1996. Kenny Derbyshire, who was at Hillsborough and is now chairman of the Hillsborough Justice Campaign, said: “It was a great gesture. The first I heard that Fergie had been to Anfield to pay his respects after the disaster was this week.

“I have always respected him for the job he has done for Man ­United – even though as a Liverpool fan I don’t like to admit it.

“I’ve now got even more respect for him after hearing what he did back in 1989.

“I think that all Liverpool fans will respect him that little bit more after hearing that he came to Anfield to offer his support at such a difficult time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Thought one of his best contributions was keeping the ball in the corner for about 90 seconds in injury time. Just the time a team could get nervy and he gave everyone a chance to catch a breath.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/EXCLUSIVE-Newcastle-Demba-Ba-lined-up-in-swap-deal-for-Liverpool-Andy-Carroll-article858448.html

Demba Ba will quit Newcastle this summer and pocket a staggering £3million of a £7m buy-out clause.

The Magpies are furious details of the in-form Senegalese striker’s contract have been made public.

But they are resigned to losing the 26-year-old at the end of the season.

And his advisers made it clear widespread interest in him would ­inevitably lead to his departure after just one ­season in the North East.

Six Premier League clubs including ­Tottenham and Liverpool are ready to meet the buy-out clause leaving Newcastle powerless to keep Ba if the player wishes to move on.

West Ham were in a similar ­situation when they were ­relegated from the Premier League last ­season. Under the terms of Ba’s contract, they were forced to give him a free transfer.

It seems negotiations over Ba’s move to Newcastle last ­summer depended on the buy-out clause being inserted, after the club refused to meet the player’s ­personal demands or pay a ­significant amount of agents’ fees.

Ba, who earns around £30,000 a week plus appearance money, is ­expected to double his salary with another move and prefers to stay in the ­Premier League despite ­interest from European clubs.

His departure will ­inevitably lead to more speculation about the return of Andy Carroll to ­Newcastle 18 months after joining Liverpool for a ­huge £35m.

Carroll’s relationship with Liverpool is disintegrating. Friends claim he would jump at a cut-price return to Newcastle.

Carroll was excellent today. I firmly believe long term he's going to be an excellent player for the team. He may never live up to the 35m price tag but he's always gonna be a great option to have in the squad and he showed enough fight today to be worthy of the number 9 shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

djPSB wrote: »
    He looks fit now.

His touch was good and worked hard.

Hopefully there's more of this to come.

i don't think its anything to do with being fit, this was only a short while after coming back from injury last year

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i don't think its anything to do with being fit, this was only a short while after coming back from injury last year

I think he stayed in last night so that probably helped.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Thoughts on the match:

Very good defensive display except the brainfart from Enrique. Thought Kelly was solid deputising for Johnson ans Skrtel and Agger did little wrong all game.

Midfield: Passed the ball poorly at times. In fairness to them, and Kenny, we were down to the bare bones. Carra at DM was a bad decision but we shouldn't see him much there in the future. Thought Gerrard looked very leggy at times. Fair play to Dalglish for taking him off, a lot around me were bemoaning the decision at the time, but I think he had nothing left in the tank and wasn't playing great as a result. Henderson maybe suffered as well after Wednesday night and was largely anonymous. We didn't keep the ball well and maintain sustained possession.

Out wide:

Downing was not spectacular but, like Wednesday, showed encouraging signs. He looks more confident and more willing to take on his man and play positive attacking football. He is yet to do anything amazing but I thought it was another decent display from Downing and was pleased with him. Thought Maxi was really poor, did very little right and was pleased to see him come off. Kuyt took his goal well (although I thought the keeper was very poor).

Carroll:

Obviously a much improved performance and showing that his physicality can cause problems and lead to goals. Some people going a little overboard in the praise though however imo. He still did a lot of stuff wrong, sometimes his timing of the jump isn't great plus a lot of knockdowns didn't find their man in the first half. It was a positive performance - but I think maybe we expect so little from Andy now that anything decent seen as very good. Still positive stuff from Carroll but I still don't think he's in our strongest XI when we have everyone fit.

Manager:

Dalglish had to juggle the team around a bit and we had a pretty weakened team out (a fact a lot of United fans seemed to miss when bemoaning their own lineup and injury problems). The subs worked well though so hats off.

Overall, without wanting to piss on the parade I thought we were pretty poor for the most part, and came up against an equally poor United team. We also came up against a very nervy keeper who, imo, was at fault for both goals and the game could've been very different if a decent confident keeper had been between the sticks.

Still I don't care, it doesn't make the win feel any less sweet! To knock out the 2 top teams in the country in 1 week is pretty impressive regardless how it was done. With City and United out, we have as good a chance as any of winning the cup and should go all out to try to do so. Looking forward to the draw tomorrow, don't mind who we get as long as it's at home.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jan/28/liverpool-andy-carroll-carlos-tevez?CMP=twt_gu
    Liverpool have made a remarkable bid to swap Andy Carroll with Carlos Tevez and move on their club-record £35m signing not even a year after signing him from Newcastle United.

The Anfield club contacted City on Thursday to ask how much they want for Tevez and whether they would be willing to contemplate a straight exchange with Carroll. Brian Marwood, the City football administrator, rebuffed the idea immediately, even though Carroll is a player Roberto Mancini has admitted admiring when he was at Newcastle.

The move demonstrates how Liverpool are now openly looking at offloading Carroll despite the insistence behind the scenes at Anfield that he can still play a prominent part and Kenny Dalglish's praise for the player after the 2-1 FA Cup defeat of Manchester United.

Carroll has scored only six goals in 35 appearances since becoming the eighth most expensive footballer in history and has not even been able to establish himself as a regular starter this season.

His problems adapting on Merseyside have also left Liverpool willing to take a £10m hit on the player, with Tevez valued at £25m, though that revelation is hardly surprising considering his difficulties at Anfield, added to the sense that he has not always been fully focused.

Fabio Capello, the England manager, has already expressed misgivings about the lifestyle of a player who has managed only two league goals this season in 20 appearances.

Those remarks went down badly at Anfield, with Dalglish defending Carroll, but the questions will probably not go away until he becomes a regular scorer. Carroll's longest run of starts this season is three games and Marwood's decision was made on the basis that he could no longer improve their team even though Mancini has a shortage of front players at a time when Tevez's strike is in its 11th week and Mario Balotelli is now serving a four-match suspension.

Tevez is planning to return to Manchester next week now it has become apparent that Milan are not able to meet City's asking price and, unless anything changes before Tuesday's transfer deadline, his adviser, Kia Joorabchian, says the Argentinian wants to re-establish himself in the team.

Whether that is possible remains to be seen, with Mancini not prepared to entertain the idea unless there is an apology from Tevez for walking out on the club and the string of other offences that have already led to him being found guilty of gross misconduct and losing almost £10m in wages, fines and lost bonuses since the start of the season.

Tevez is still a formidable striker and finished as the league's joint-top scorer last season, but he will be returning to England with a severely damaged reputation and Liverpool's attempt to take him along the M62 will surprise many people given his propensity for causing dressing-room problems and an apparent dislike of living in England.

There is also the fact that, approaching his 28th birthday, he would not have fitted into Liverpool's usual policy of buying players at a young age who will keep a resale value over the course of their contract. Liverpool, however, were willing to make an exception and City would have been glad to arrange a deal after unsuccessful talks not just with Milan but also Juventus, Internazionale and Paris St-Germain. They remain open to offers for the Argentinian but will not change their mind about Carroll.

amiable wrote: »

Lol. Can't wait until this Tuesday and all the transfer sh1te is over and done with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

^^^^ this never happened. The story is from Daniel Taylor, a self confessed United fan when our clubs meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Looks like we are doing our utmost to try and bring in a top class striker.

Opr

• Advertisement

daithijjj wrote: »
    ^^^^ this never happened. The story is from Daniel Taylor, a self confessed United fan when our clubs meet.

The Guardian is a Manchester Paper anyway

It's supposed to be in the Sunday Times too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

So that means he made the entire thing up then does it?

For what it's worth (and I've said this before) Daniel Taylor is bang on the money more often than not. I find him very reliable and well informed when it comes to both Manchester clubs. You don't get promoted to chief football writer of the Guardian if you're not doing a good job.

He's more reliable than Jim Boardman anyway;)

No smoke without fire. Far too many stories floating around of us contacting clubs for it all to be BS.

Opr

Taylor is a Forest fan I believe, banned from United pressers though at this stage, only 4 national papers are left! ;)

Ludicrous story. We know January windows are all sane, boring and predictable!

Would be hilarious though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Blatter wrote: »

For what it's worth (and I've said this before) Daniel Taylor is bang on the money more often than not. I find him very reliable and well informed when it comes to both Manchester clubs. You don't get promoted to chief football writer of the Guardian if you're not doing a good job.

I'd say Taylor has good contacts at both Manchester clubs.

Shows Liverpools desperation to offload Carroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

A front three of tevez Bellamy and Suarez enough to make any centre half loose sleep

Kenny after the City game - "If City have got more players like Bellamy they dont want, we'll take them"

Then we put in an offer for Tevez ? Lolz

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

We'll wait for the Man U fans to deem whether that's racist or not. No need to be happy!!!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Love it!!! Anyone got the actual link to this gif??

opr wrote: »
    Kenny after the City game - "If City have got more players like Bellamy they dont want, we'll take them"

Then we put in an offer for Tevez ? Lolz

Opr

Would beat the meltdown last year, would entice me back to Twitter for the 31st! :D

Still, Bale still going to Inter? ;)

The Guardian used to be good years ago. That is all.

What did you think of his performance today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

monkey9 wrote: »

sent it to you. You could just right click and click copy image URL.:o

What did you think of his performance today?

Better question for you :pac:

If the swap was on offer would you take it before the deadline ? (Deal or no Deal)

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

If the swap was on offer would you take it before the deadline ? (Deal or no Deal)

Opr

deal, deal deal,

ill fly to england to do the taxi runs myself

The bould Jim retweeted a conversation were Taylor said he only supports United if playing Derby/Liverpool.

Sounds like a Forrest from fan from the late 70's/ late 80's! ;) Well done Jim.

I'd say this is one time linking to a piece with the S*n bus is acceptable:

BBC News - Operation Elveden: Five held in police payment probe

For those who just want to see the text:
    Operation Elveden: Five held in police payment probe

Former managing editor Graham Dudman is understood to be among the arrested journalists

Four former and current Sun journalists and a police officer have been arrested by detectives investigating payments made to police by journalists.
    Scotland Yard said the men, aged 29 to 57, were arrested at addresses in London and Essex.
    The 29-year-old, a serving officer in the Metropolitan Police's Territorial Policing Command, was arrested at his work - a central London police station.

News Corporation said it would continue to pursue "legitimate journalism".

Offices at News International in Wapping are currently being searched.
    The BBC understands the arrested journalists are ex-deputy editor Fergus Shanahan, ex-managing editor Graham Dudman, crime editor Mike Sullivan and head of news Chris Pharo.
    The Met said the arrests, part of Operation Elveden, were prompted by information given to police by News Corporation.

'Draining the swamp' A News International source told the BBC it was an effort aimed at "draining the swamp" so as to restore journalistic integrity at News International titles.
    News Corporation and its management and standards committee (MSC) issued a statement following the arrests saying it had made a commitment last summer that unacceptable news gathering practices by individuals in the past would not be repeated.
    "It commissioned the management and standards committee to undertake a review of all News International titles, regardless of cost, and to proactively co-operate with law enforcement and other authorities if potentially relevant information arose at those titles.
    "As a result of that review, which is ongoing, the MSC provided information to the Elveden investigation which led to today's arrests."
    News Corporation also said it would "continue to give its total support to the continued work of the MSC and to ensure that legitimate journalism is vigorously pursued in both the public interest and in full compliance with the law".

An internal email from Tom Mockridge, the chief executive of Sun owner News International, on Saturday told staff the company was providing legal support to those being interviewed by police, while officers were conducting a limited search at The Sun's offices, supervised by the MSC's lawyers.

Operation Elveden is supervised by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) and is being run in conjunction with Operation Weeting, Scotland Yard's inquiry into phone hacking by the now-closed News of the World.
    A spokesman said Saturday's arrests and searches related to suspected payments to officers and was not about seeking journalists to reveal their sources regarding information obtained legitimately.

Second officer The police have said that two men, aged 49 and 57, were arrested at their homes in Essex. A 48-year-old man was detained at his home in north London. Officers are searching their homes.
    A fourth man, aged 42, was arrested at 11am when he attended an east London police station.

The News of the World closed in the wake of the phone hacking scandal
    All were being questioned on suspicion of corruption under the Prevention of Corruption Act 1906, aiding and abetting misconduct in a public office and conspiracy in relation to both offences.
    The officer was being held on suspicion of corruption under the Prevention of Corruption Act 1906, misconduct in a public office, as well as conspiracy in relation to both offences. His home was also being searched.
    He is the second serving officer to be arrested as part of Operation Elveden. The first, a 52-year-old woman, was arrested last month and bailed, police said.

A total of 14 people have now been arrested as part of the inquiry. Thirteen were arrested by the Met and the thirteenth by the IPCC.

Ongoing inquiries IPCC deputy chair Deborah Glass said she was satisfied with the "strenuous efforts being made by this investigation to identify police officers who may have taken corrupt payments".
    She said she had considered the IPCC's role and whether to use its powers directly in relation to the latest suspects, but said "given the interlocking nature of the investigation and arrests which do not just involve police officers, I believe the priority is not around whose powers should be used, but for an effective investigation that brings wrongdoers to justice.
    "While we continue to provide a supervisory role across Operation Elveden, I will consider each referral on its own merit and we will investigate independently if appropriate."

Among those questioned during the inquiries were former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks, ex-Downing Street communications chief Andy Coulson, former News of the World managing editor Stuart Kuttner, the paper's former royal editor Clive Goodman, and its former crime editor Lucy Panton.
    The total number of people arrested in the inquiries now stands at 28. Two were released without further action, and 21 remain on police bail.

Any doubts about where they got their sources can now be dispelled but no doubt the songs will still be chanted!

Opr

No Deal.

- Wouldn't want Tevez at the club

- He would be looking for 150k+ per week

- He would have an almost 0 resale value, City can't sell him at the minute. God knows how hard it would be to sell him in 2 or 3 years time

- Former MANC

- I would sell Carroll for £15m before I'd swap for Tevez

No Deal.

- He would have an almost 0 resale value, City can't sell him at the minute. God knows how hard it would be to sell him in 2 or 3 years time

- Former MANC

I would really only want him until the summer when both of us can part company mutually happy if that is what both parties decide. We get a new striker and he gets his move in the summer. Easily in the summer you would get rid of Tevez for £25m+ no problem. Certainly the swap would leave you with an asset with far higher market value that Carroll.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

monkey9 wrote: »
    Suarez bird is a Craaacker.Worth 2 Andy Carrolls.

http://soccerlens.com/guardians-daniel-taylor-doesnt-deserve-to-write-about-manchester-united/3317/

The Guardian went on a steady course downwards from about 2005 as regards football. But im a cynic really, i havent bought a newspaper in a very long time but i read some other people bought :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

No Deal.

- Former MANC

Agree with all of this not only is his wages ridiculous his attitude stinks!! Wouldn't want him near the club with his negativity that could spread to younger impressionable lads at the club!

I actually thought if true this was a pretty great angle shoot by us to save face in this whole Carroll business that didn't quite come off.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement