Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

murpho999 wrote: »
    You know what last season I would have agreed with you entirely about Spearing but then he got a new contract so obviously the people who work with him day in day out saw something in him and this season when he got the chance you can see he has and still is improving and learning his craft.

Not his fault opposition was poor tonight, a good game is a good game and he will gain confidence from it.

Also, your comparison to other players is poor....he's not at level of Toure or Parker yet but I'd rather have him in the squad instead of the likes of Barry as he is young and will only get better.

I also see something in Spearing.

I see aggression, work rate, pride, heart etc. Able to play the simple passes.

I also like him being part of the squad, and wouldn't sell him.

But, I just don't think he is good enough, or ever will be to fill the boots of Lucas over the course of a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

djPSB wrote: »
    I think comparing Masch and Spearing on ability is quite silly.

No comparison at all between the two players imho. When Mascherano was younger than Spearing is now he was already rated as one of the best defensive midfielders in the game. When Mascherano reached Spearing's current age it was the 2008/09 season and one only has to look at the performances he put in that season.

For me Spearing has nowhere near the qualities or abilities that Mascherano has or had, and I doubt that Spearing will ever go on to even be a second teir Mascherano style player.

People tend to talk about Spearing as if he is some youth player breaking into the ranks. He turns 25 this year so is hardly young potential at this stage.

Here’s a brief summary of Adams’ stats from the match.

Stat Value
    Crossing Accuracy:75%
    Goal Assists : 2
    Pass Completion: 80%
    Tackles: 4
    Total Accurate Crosses: 3
    Total Accurate Passes: 44
    Total Crosses: 4
    Total Passes: 55
    Total Shots: 2
    Thanks to EPL Index.

IMO 11 misplaced passes in a game from a central midfielder who is supposed to be a good passer is quite high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Spearing was out for a fair few games between the suspension and injury as well.

Gerrard gets a pass so.................................

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The 35 million was spent already, we're not spending it on him again, crazy money, but it really doesn't matter a **** anymore. It's a fairly simple principle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I believe we can get fourth!

I believe Andy Carroll will score more goals this season.

I believe Henderson is going to be an excellent player.

I believe Suarez is back!!!

I believe Kenny is the man for the job!

Was it this time last year Kuyt went on scoring run?

Seriously good week to be a Liverpool fan. Bring on Spurs!

Johnson looked a bit iffy tonight. Some seriously stupid decisions at times and against a team that can score goals we would of been punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Kess73 wrote: »
    No comparison at all between the two players imho. When Mascherano was younger than Spearing is now he was already rated as one of the best defensive midfielders in the game. When Mascherano reached Spearing's current age it was the 2008/09 season and one only has to look at the performances he put in that season.

For me Spearing has nowhere near the qualities or abilities that Mascherano has or had, and I doubt that Spearing will ever go on to even be a second teir Mascherano style player.

People tend to talk about Spearing as if he is some youth player breaking into the ranks. He turns 25 this year so is hardly young potential at this stage.

I seem to remeber you weren't the biggest fan of Spearing Kess, but how do you feel about him since standing in for Lucas? I think some people have been pleasantly surpsrised, not saying he's been unreal but he's definitely proven to be competant in the role. I suppose the question is can he stay consistant.

P.S this isn't an invitation for you to bang on about Moussa Sissoko again :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Fckin hell, the one week where the chap deserves a bit of a break.

He might deserve a break but he doesn't deserve to be gushed over as being brilliant.

Also, just to make Murpho happy....

He still looks distinctly average. He's improved but it was at the stage where he couldn't really look any worse.

SlickRic wrote: »
    also, i don't know if this is actually a corner turned for Carroll, but if it is, it's fascinating that it has taken this long.

it's like he's all of a sudden remembered he's a big strong bastard who can bully anyone he wants.

it's crazy how much of this game is in the head.

Yeah would agree that it is no corner turned, and anyone who says so is talking rubbish.

But it was a game where he did what is expected of a striker and that is put the ball in the net, so for me tonight was a good night for Carroll and if he starts to put the ball in the net on a regular basis then I might start to buy into talk of him coming good.

I am a bit wary of getting carried away as he was brilliant last season against City, and I can remember talk back then of him having turned a corner/found his feet etc etc., and we all know how it has gone since then.

Tonight though the lad did his share, did his job, and deserves any praise he gets for tonight's game. I have a lot of doubts about him, but I hope that he gives more reason for praise than criticism betqween now and the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Stat Value
    Thanks to EPL Index.

IMO 11 misplaced passes in a game from a central midfielder who is supposed to be a good passer is quite high.

I was reading that. And was surprised how good he is. Then I saw your comment and laughed. Lads we have to accept sometimes we shouldnt criticise.

Adam is second on the assist table only to silva.

• Advertisement

I seem to remeber you weren't the biggest fan of Spearing Kess, but how do you feel about him since standing in for Lucas? I think some people have been pleasantly surpsrised, not saying he's been unreal but he's definitely proven to be competant in the role. I suppose the question is can he stay consistant.

P.S this isn't an invitation for you to bang on about Moussa Sissoko again :pac:

I think Spearing is a hard working honest player who will give his all anytime he is called upon. But I do think that he is very very limited as a player. By limited I mean physically, in terms of footballing ability, and in terms of game intelligence/reading the game.

I love his attitude when he is on the pitch, and by all accounts he is a model pro off of it as well, save for his awful attempts at hip hop/rapping etc.:)

I see the guy as a good Championship level player to be honest, and I do think that if the club had any sort of decent cover in midfield that Spearing would not get within an ass's roar of the first team.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

eldwaro wrote: »
    I was reading that. And was surprised how good he is. Then I saw your comment and laughed. Lads we have to accept sometimes we shouldnt criticise.

Adam is second on the assist table only to silva.

Not quite second.

Player Club Times
    David Silva Manchester City (60) 13
    Chris Brunt West Bromwich Albion (22) 7
    Nani Manchester United (54) 7
    Samir Nasri Manchester City (60) 7
    Stephane Sessegnon Sunderland (28) 7
    Juan Manuel Mata Chelsea (40) 7
    Luis Antonio Valencia Manchester United (54) 7
    Gareth Bale Tottenham Hotspur (43) 7
    Bobby Zamora Fulham (25) 6 24
    Robin van Persie Arsenal (39) 6
    Ryan Giggs Manchester United (54) 6
    Charlie Adam Liverpool (25) 6
    Ashley Cole Chelsea (40) 6
    Roysten Drenthe Everton (23) 6
    Morten Gamst Pedersen Blackburn Rovers (30) 6

http://www.statbunker.com/football/btb/index.php?PL=competition&CompID=373&statType=assist

Carroll is starting to get involved in play, link up play, but as he has started doing that, the standard has moved on. People want goals and that's natural. Continuous improvement.

I was hoping for 10-15 goals in the PL so a disappointment, but things are getting better. Ideally he'd have scored 4 or 5 with Suarez out.

Maybe a Carroll getting confidence back and Suarez back might just work.

One common denominator for Carroll or Suarez leading the line, no support!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Andy Carroll has scored more league goals in 2012 than Adebayor, Torres, Rooney combined

5starpool wrote: »
    Not quite second.

Player Club Times

http://www.statbunker.com/football/btb/index.php?PL=competition&CompID=373&statType=assist

For £7/8 Million, not bad. Gerrard and Lucas out so much. I'd say he has done okay. Needs a DM because we all know he can't tackle.

5starpool wrote: »
    Not quite second.

Player Club Times

ive spent the entire day writing my dissertation in history...

today i've written about 150 footnotes, and checked every source...

i dont check one source and i discover i've been had!

faith in the importance of source checking restored!

i apologise....still think adam is a bit of a whippin dog though.

ive spent the entire day writing my dissertation in history...

today i've written about 150 footnotes, and checked every source...

i dont check one source and i discover i've been had!

faith in the importance of source checking restored!

i apologise....still think adam is a bit of a whippin dog though.

Well i prefer to look at performances before stats and to be fair Adam deserved the criticism he got. He's been poor in a lot of games. He was good tonight though and hopefully this will herald a revival in the form he showed at the start of the season for us.

Kuyt, Carroll, Adam and to a lesser extent Downing playing a lot better. Henderson looking solid, Bellamy on fire and Suarez on the way back! Couldn't have come at a better time for the run of fixtures we have.

Adam was pretty decent tonight, but nothing special either. You can only beat what's put in front of you obviously, but Wolves were mostly rubbish. In the last 2 months he has mostly been awful, and not near the standard required. Lots of big tests coming up in the next few games though for him if selected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Just a reminder about the big game for the kids tomorrow night against Spurs in the QF of the Nextgen series. Kick-off is at 7pm.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/nextgen-live-on-wednesday

Sir Gallagher, how did the first team get on tonight ? Did we win ? :P

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Thought spearing was much younger, ah well he's a decent squad member.

see i agree that adam has been poor...and his fouling is second to none...

but currently were breathing positivity. i know that shouldnt allow complacency but enjoy the good times! it's been a tough while we've had

see i agree that adam has been poor...and his fouling is second to none...

but currently were breathing positivity. i know that shouldnt allow complacency but enjoy the good times! it's been a tough while we've had

There's nothing wrong with being realistic either though.

Some fans like to jump on bandwagons, when we are winning they think every player is untouchable and can do no wrong.

When we are going through a rough patch they over react with their criticisms.

I try to avoid this, and try to judge player performances and ability realistically whether we are winning or losing.

Just because Spearing had a good game tonight, he is been compared in here to Masch which is over reacting to a good performance.

Some fans like to jump on bandwagons, when we are losing they think every player is crap and can't do anything right.

I try to avoid this, and try to judge player performances and ability realistically whether we are winning or losing.

Fixed your post.

Masch was apparently crap though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Spearing ain't near Masch's level as a player. Saying otherwise is way over the top.

However, as someone who thought Spearing had no future at the club prior to Kenny's arrival, I've been very pleasantly surprised at how well he has performed both at the end of last season & when called upon this season & am now of the opinion that he could prove to be a very good squad player for us for the foreseeable future.

Over the last 12 months, Spearing has been much better than I thought he would be when he has played, but he still has his limitations obviously. Seems like a decent squad option, and 1 thing he never lacks is commitment, which is a huge touch.

• Advertisement

Thread is lacking a few posters recently. Seem to have gone very quite in the second half in the match thread, there's couple of them, barring the obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I thought Enrique was quality tonight. Brilliant defensively and going forward he delivered some lovely passes for the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Did Kuyt not get his 50th Liverpool goal against Utd on Saturday?? :confused:

monkey9 wrote: »
    Did Kuyt not get his 50th Liverpool goal against Utd on Saturday?? :confused:

Nope, he has 60 odd in all competitions. The 50 milestone was for league goals, but it was misreported a few times over the course of his drought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Some fans like to jump on bandwagons, when we are winning they think every player is untouchable and can do no wrong.

Just because Spearing had a good game tonight, he is been compared in here to Masch which is over reacting to a good performance.

I think ya might be referring to me here but what I meant is he is like, i.e. similar to a 'mascherano' type player. No way am I comparing him to being at Mascherano' level atm. But Jay does evidently play similar to Mascherano and also Lass Diarra.

And I dont think its a matter of jumping on bandwagons as I think he deserves recognition, not only tonight but also for example, against City and Fulham last season he put in great performances. Lets hope he keeps improving his game:)

• Advertisement

opr wrote: »
    Just a reminder about the big game for the kids tomorrow night against Spurs in the QF of the Nextgen series. Kick-off is at 7pm.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/nextgen-live-on-wednesday

Sir Gallagher, how did the first team get on tonight ? Did we win ? :P

Opr

We won 3-0. Goals from Carroll, Bellamy and Kuyt. Keep your eye out for Carroll he's a young player we bought off Newcastle for £35m in case you didn't know.

I hear we have an under 5's match coming up, have you managed to get tickets and a flight sorted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

great result tonight,delighted for Carroll,played well last couple of games & got his just rewards,hope he keeps making them runs into the box
    have to be honest im still on the fence about adam,will he,wont he,apart from his two assists tonight i thought he was greedy & sloppy like most games
    rest of the team looked sharp especially Reina :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Great week of results, Especially tonight's as I had no confidence in seeing we were going to be without Gerrard and how poorly we perform against weaker opposition. Saying that, Wolves did help us out by falling asleep on the first two goals.

Disappointed we didnt sign someone, Think we could of done with at least one new face in the final third. Louis is back, but still think we are lacking in cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Johnson looked a bit iffy tonight. Some seriously stupid decisions at times and against a team that can score goals we would of been punished.

Thats tempting fate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Stat Value
    Thanks to EPL Index.

I seem to recall John Obi Mikel had the highest pass completion percentage for huge chunks of last season.....because it was always played to somebody 6 yards from him. I know who I would rather have.

Stats can be misleading and success or failure should not be soley attributed to them. Silva and Modric give the ball away all the time but you have to accept that the more adventurous player will concede possession more. Gerrard frequently throws possession away too and people accuse him of "hollywood" passes.

Every midfield needs a player with the vision and ability to try things. Adam may not be the best midfielder in the prem but you got him cheap and he is alot better than some of the dross out there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Delighted, they're the games we've been winning. Spurs at home is hugely important on Monday, good to get nearly a weeks rest before that. Great head of steam up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Which one are you, Robson or Jerome? ;)

R Kelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Kirby wrote: »

Stat Value
    Thanks to EPL Index.

I seem to recall John Obi Mikel had the highest pass completion percentage for huge chunks of last season.....because it was always played to somebody 6 yards from him. I know who I would rather have.

Stats can be misleading and success or failure should not be soley attributed to them. Silva and Modric give the ball away all the time but you have to accept that the more adventurous player will concede possession more. Gerrard frequently throws possession away too and people accuse him of "hollywood" passes.

Every midfield needs a player with the vision and ability to try things. Adam may not be the best midfielder in the prem but you got him cheap and he is alot better than some of the dross out there.
    Neither Modric or Silva give the ball away all the time both keep the ball like it's glued to them.

On tonight the spurs next gen team has been weakened a bit by loan moves for some of our players and Lancaster making his debut last night.

Hoping for a good performance though we have some promising players coming through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Disagree with this. Spearing over the the last 12 months has reached a level of performance that has shown Kenny that he needs to be considered as serious contender for the first team. He has a good football brain and can play and contribute to the free moving passing style Kenny wants to encourage. Only have to look at the second goal tonight. Jay deserves his place, maturing into a mini mascherano but imho better on the ball

This. I'll be the first to admit i thought Spearing would never be good enough for the prem league never mind a club like Liverpool but he's proved me wrong i'm glad to say. A very decent squad player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Just to clarify Spearing is 23, Kess was saying that he was turning 25. He's not, he'll be 24 in November.

Players are bound to improve playing competitive high level matches. Spearing is doing that. He's no kid but I believe he will get even better, as I feel his position is one in which you learn a lot and develop from playing at the highest level - positionally, tactically, time on the ball etc... How much has Lucas improved in the last year (Lucas is a year and a bit older than Spearing)? Spearing's development has not finished imo. I think he definitely has the ability to be a useful squad player/option for a top 4 side.

I wrote him off prior to Kenny's arrival too by the way, but I think it's unfair, based on his performances at the end of last season and deputising for Lucas so far, to say he's not good enough to be a backup/option for us if we have top 4 aspirations.

It will be interesting to see if I'm proved right anyway, because I expect him to be one of the first names on the team sheet for the remainder of the season, so we'll get to see lots of what he offers and if he continues to develop as he has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭martin g

Great win last night, i taught we played really well and could of got a couple of more goals but still happy with the win. Enrique is a class player and one of our best players this season but he trys to play football in areas that he shouldnt. He has been caught in possession a few times in areas when he has left the winger 1 0n 1 with Agger or Skertel, he should hit row z a few more times !
    i hope Kenny doesnt tinker with the system to much and let Andy get a run of games and get a few more goals for his confidence !
    And Dirk reaching 50 goals at last... great night all round !!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So, assuming no fitness issues, Monday should be:

Reina

Johnson
    Baresi--Agger
    Enrique

Spearing

Gerrard

Kuyt
    Suarez
    Bellamy

Carroll

?

Cause I likes the looks of that I does! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Neither Modric or Silva give the ball away all the time both keep the ball like it's glued to them.

On tonight the spurs next gen team has been weakened a bit by loan moves for some of our players and Lancaster making his debut last night.

Hoping for a good performance though we have some promising players coming through.

Thats the difference between a 40m pound player and a 10m I'd imagine..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Skrtel has been awesome of late. Man of the Match for me against Utd. Really impressed how calm and assured he has been on the ball and has become a threat in the oppositions box as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Knex. wrote: »
    Thats the difference between a 40m pound player and a 10m I'd imagine..

Some would argue Kevin Doyle holds the ball up better than Andy Carroll so I'm not sure price should be used as a good indication of touch tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Skrtel is awesome because of Agger.

there's no doubt in my mind about that.

i'm convinced that Agger's confidence and calm has helped no end. i say this because as much as I love Carragher, he wasn't the most assured on the ball, and i can imagine Skrtel panicking a lot in defence, either trying to hoof the ball like Carrahoof, or just rushing into things.

it cannot be underestimated how much organisation and calm Agger brings to that backline.]

like VP now that he's had a long run of fitness and is now being mentioned in the same breath as the very best in the league, i believe Agger with a similar stretch of fitness will prove the same.

oh, and Suarez is back.

get the motherfúck in!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2012/01/31/wolves-vs-liverpool-0-3-highlights-video-2012-goals-carroll-bellamy-kuyt/

Highlights of last nights match for anyone interested. Posted in the match thread too. (Match of the Day included).

Agger and Skrtel have been brilliant so far this season. Enrique has been good but as someone mentioned he has predilection for running the ball outta defence and he will get caught with that. Also holds onto the ball far to long sometimes in attack. If he works on them tso things he will be an excellent left back. Right now he is a very good left back.

As good Johnson has been this year, he is still prone to silly mistakes and like our left back gets caught in possession. Is there any reason why he couldn't play further up the field and have Kelly behind him?
    He is a genuine threat going forward and Kelly needs to be playing to continue his development. I also think he is a better crosser than Johnson.

I believe it to be so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Kirby wrote: »
    Some would argue Kevin Doyle holds the ball up better than Andy Carroll so I'm not sure price should be used as a good indication of touch tbh.

Ah to be fair we all know the story with Carroll and the fee paid etc. There is no doubting though that Silva and Modric are worth 40m and that Adam is worth around the 10m mark. For his price Adam is a good player, happy we signed him and he does a job. Granted he needs a DM beside him but so too do Silva and Modric. See how good they would be lined up next to Gerrard in CM every week.

And I would much prefer to have Carroll in my team than Kevin Doyle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement