Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The whole thing is a predictable farce. Suarez gets a trial by media and an 8 match ban (as well as a slew of sanctimonious bullsh1t from people who decided that a summary was enough depth of understanding) while Terry will get a fine and have the whole thing brushed under the carpet and forgotten by the same "take a stand" media and FA. Clearly the whole Suarez thing was a predictable political event to have a potshot at Blatter and no more.

how do you know what will happen to Terry?

how do you know what the FA will do?

how do you know he won't get a ban?

for the millionth time, the FA can't do anything until the criminal case happens. they can't. they could well have done something already if they could, and there's no point guessing otherwise.

why make yourself sound like tin-foil hat man?

you make reference to Rio in your post too. he was banned by the FA for a while for missing a drugs test a couple of years ago - a ban recognised by many as harsh. that doesn't really play into the FA showing any sort of partial leaning to high profile English players with regards bannings now does it?

so do you actually think this is pro-English from the FA? or do you somehow think there's an anti-Liverpool agenda?

i merely think the FA are inept in a lot of respects, but in no way do i think there's any malice in anything they do.

also, who is this top guy in the FA saying they'll do nothing more? is there a quote? i'd love to see it, because that would in itself tell an awful lot if there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That's f*cking ridiculous, as far as I remember reading the worst that can happen to him is a £2,500 fine. So no football time missed for a case that was more clear cut than the Suarez/Evra one (in that he either said it or didn't).

The fine would go with the criminal record.
    THe FA will charge him if he is found guilty by the judicial system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

ok i was chatting with my mate who studied law earlier and he had a few insights into the Terry case.

Yes July 9th is an odd date for the trial to start but there is often a large delay in time between charge and trial. If it had been October he wouldn't have been surprised.

If he is found guilty by judge then he will receive whatever penalty and then be judged by the FA too.

However this is where it gets interesting;

IF he is found not guilty by the court he can still be investigated and punished by the FA. In court it has to be beyond any reasonable doubt but with the FA it can be a probability charge (or something like that)

The example he gave was OJ Simpson.

Found innocent of murder but the family still were able to sue him for it.

its an odd one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think the FA will try & sweep the Terry thing under the rug.

I think that if he is found not guilty in court, they'll say that's the matter closed as far they're concerned.

I think they'll do this because xenophobia is a huge problem is corners of English society (including football) and they're perfectly happy to make a scape goat out of a foreigner while trying to get the England captain off.

I think there is a pro English agenda from the FA & the media in England. Massively so. I think there is malice in it.

danniemcq wrote: »
    ok i was chatting with my mate who studied law earlier and he had a few insights into the Terry case.

Yes July 9th is an odd date for the trial to start but there is often a large delay in time between charge and trial. If it had been October he wouldn't have been surprised.

If he is found guilty by judge then he will receive whatever penalty and then be judged by the FA too.

IF he is found not guilty by the court he can still be investigated and punished by the FA. In court it has to be beyond any reasonable doubt but with the FA it can be a probability charge (or something like that)

its an odd one!

Hopefully the tin foil hats can be put away for another while now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

danniemcq wrote: »

its an odd one!

The law in the US is the same as the law in England? Thought i read a quote a few weeks back that the FA will take no further action in the case it's all in the hands of the police now. Must go digging.

SlickRic wrote: »

for the millionth time, the FA can't do anything until the criminal case happens. they can't. they could well have done something already if they could, and there's no point guessing otherwise.

you make reference to Rio in your post too. he was banned by the FA for a while for missing a drugs test a couple of years ago - a ban recognised by many as harsh. that doesn't really play into the FA showing any sort of partial leaning to high profile English players with regards bannings now does it?

so do you actually think this is pro-English from the FA? or do you somehow think there's an anti-Liverpool agenda?

i merely think the FA are inept in a lot of respects, but in no way do i think there's any malice in anything they do.

also, who is this top guy in the FA saying they'll do nothing more? is there a quote? i'd love to see it, because that would in itself tell an awful lot if there is.

I don't "know" anything, its an educated guess. What do you think will happen to Terry as matter of interest?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I think there is a pro English agenda from the FA & the media in England. Massively so. I think there is malice in it.

media, yes.

the FA, i can't agree.

they're just stupid.

I don't "know" anything, its an educated guess. What do you think will happen to Terry as matter of interest?

the thing is, it is a guess.

and you said Terry...
    will get a fine and have the whole thing brushed under the carpet and forgotten by the same "take a stand" media and FA. Clearly the whole Suarez thing was a predictable political event to have a potshot at Blatter and no more.

i have no idea.

but my guess is that he'll be found not guilty of the criminal act, then the FA will act. Euro 2012 will be over, so even if there was a case where they were trying to protect him, there doesn't need to be once the championships are over.

i think it's too big an issue now for them to be able to sweep it under the carpet nonchalantly. i just don't see that happening.

• Advertisement

the thing is, it is a guess.

and you said Terry...

i have no idea.

but my guess is that he'll be found not guilty of the criminal act, then the FA will act. Euro 2012 will be over, so even if there was a case where they were trying to protect him, there doesn't need to be once the championships are over.

i think it's too big an issue now for them to be able to sweep it under the carpet nonchalantly. i just don't see that happening.

We shall see.

It's a mistake to think that Slick. It really is.

If the FA don't go after Terry in the same way they did with Suarez, there can only be malice in it. They're aware of what is alleged. They are aware they require a different, less substantial burden of proof than a UK Court. They are aware that the Crown Prosectution service thinks that there is a sufficient case against Terry to satisfy the higher burden of proof. They are aware this means they're lesser burden of proof required (which we saw in the Suarez case is beyond minimal) would be a piece of piss to satisfy.

If they don't charge Terry, it's because they want to let the English man off, it's as simple as that in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Spearing thing is really simple. He is the only fit player in our squad right now who properly understands how to play Defensive Central Midfield, sit infront of the backline and effectively break up play. So he starts every game he's fit for imo. That should give him a run of games between now and the end of the season that he has never received before and, as such, we'll be in a much better position to assess how good he is at that point. Depending on that assessment, it will either become a priority investment position for us in the summer or it won't. Easy game.

If the FA don't go after Terry in the same way they did with Suarez, there can only be malice in it. They're aware of what is alleged. They are aware they require a different, less substantial burden of proof than a UK Court. They are aware that the Crown Prosectution service thinks that there is a sufficient case against Terry to satisfy the higher burden of proof. They are aware this means they're lesser burden of proof required (which we saw in the Suarez case is beyond minimal) would be a piece of piss to satisfy.

If they don't charge Terry, it's because they want to let the English man off, it's as simple as that in my mind.

did i claim anything different :confused:

if that happens, then yes, it's because he's English and/or the England captain, and it'd arguably be malicious towards the foreigner; in this instance Suarez.

my only point was that i don't think there's much proof of the FA being really pro-England over the years in terms of big issues.

see Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand for instance. (i hate using Utd players as examples and all, but that's all i could think of off the top of my head).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The scallywag's back.

SuarezBirthday.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Grayditch wrote: »
    The scallywag's back.

SuarezBirthday.gif

Never gets old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Kess73 wrote: »
    Including his time out on loan to Leicester in the Championship, Spearing has a whole 24 league games worth of experience since the start of the 2008 season. He has a further 19 cup games in that period. Says a lot about his ability that even with Lucas out that Spearing was not put in the side as a regular when not suspended.

Wasn't he out injured for a couple of games as well? Must have been ineligible for about 6/7 games between the suspension and injury. If he was fit for the United match, that's the only one he hasn't featured in since Lucas got injured, and he was available. You seem to be making out that Kenny isn't picking him, which I don't think is the case.

As for his career stats, well he did have Masch and Lucas ahead of him.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

did i claim anything different :confused:

if that happens, then yes, it's because he's English and/or the England captain, and it'd arguably be malicious towards the foreigner; in this instance Suarez.

my only point was that i don't think there's much proof of the FA being really pro-England over the years in terms of big issues.

see Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand for instance. (i hate using Utd players as examples and all, but that's all i could think of off the top of my head).

That scenario would still be working on the assumption that if a foreigner was found not guilty in a court of law, the FA would investigate him. Maybe somebody can point out where this has happened before? Because I don't see how anyone could claim the FA are xenophobic otherwise, it's just a tinfoil hat assumption.

Regardless, I'd be surprised if the FA didn't investigate the Terry case after the court verdict. The only way I could see them not doing so is if they weren't legally allowed to do so. I don't know what their policies are with regards double jeopardy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I would hope regardless of the court outcome, the FA will be pressing charges anyway, bringing the game into disrepute type stuff. The FA were pretty painstaking over making sure Suarez got charged.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The scallywag's back.

SuarezBirthday.gif

Possibly the funniest .gif I have seen in the Soccer Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

FA Cup game V Brigton is on the Sunday at 4:30 on ESPN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

The scallywag's back.

SuarezBirthday.gif

nice to see gerrard looking after shelvey.

0b2f0eed2.jpg

Clearing out my Ma's attic and she finds this. Probably from 1988; my first Liverpool shin guards which doubled as canvas for my superior rhyming skills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

0b2f0eed2.jpg

Clearing out my Ma's attic and she finds this. Probably from 1988; my first Liverpool shin guards which doubled as canvas for my superior rhyming skills

Did the other one say Man U sh*ted?:D

My memories of them are how they would itch the legs off you after running around with them on for a while, and the bottom of them would also cut into your skin.

The itch was unbearable and they the bottom wing yokes would cut the ankles off ya, alright.

And THAT'S why I was brutal. Yep.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

FA Cup game V Brigton is on the Sunday at 4:30 on ESPN

Sweet. I'm away for a few days before that, but back late on Saturday night. I was funking pretty hard for a Sunday fixture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

so terry gets to lead england at the euros, has a clear run till season is over with chelsea..

will no doubt retire from international football afterwards.. to save from being demoted..

the whole thing stinks ,dont care what ye say..it stinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Not half as good as the suarez one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

The FA could have dealt with this first but that would have meant the court was preordained if the FA found him guilty
    Likewise they can and most likely will wade in after the court is finished with Terry

Two high profile cases that are worth bearing in mind are Duncan Ferguson and Cantona
    Both were banned and found guilty by their FA
    I dont know the facts but vaguely remember cantona being banned before court?
    Maybe difference is both were open and shut cases prob with guilty pleas

If Terry is found guilty, the FA will have to ban him after their own hearing. Probably 8 games as well. If he is not though, it will be swept under the carpet, ignoring the higher burden of proof needed in the arena he was tried in. That is what I expect to happen, but who knows, hopefully I'll be proved wrong if he is found not guilty in court.

5starpool wrote: »
    If Terry is found guilty, the FA will have to ban him after their own hearing. Probably 8 games as well. If he is not though, it will be swept under the carpet, ignoring the higher burden of proof needed in the arena he was tried in. That is what I expect to happen, but who knows, hopefully I'll be proved wrong if he is found not guilty in court.

Exactly my thoughts on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

I for one would like to be able to put the whole suarez/evra thing behind me now and never have to listen to it being discussed but with this whole Terry afair dragging out there is bound to be countless reminders/ comparisons between the two. Suarez is back now, we as a club should be able to and need to move on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Didi Hamann signing copies of his book in Eason's on the 18th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Dunno if it was posted before but here are some Spanish ads featuring Pepe! :phttp://www.groupamaseguros.tv/canal-de-campana-me-siento-seguro_spots-pepe-reina_111802370182.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

mormank wrote: »
    I for one would like to be able to put the whole suarez/evra thing behind me now and never have to listen to it being discussed but with this whole Terry afair dragging out there is bound to be countless reminders/ comparisons between the two. Suarez is back now, we as a club should be able to and need to move on now.

That's exactly what the FA would like us all to do but don't .

Take a step back and see what they have done . The joke of a judgment and the written verdict , the timing of the release etc etc .

Yes the club should and will move on .
    But as long as the FA continue to be shambles of a organisation that they are then it's for all fans benefits that the pressure is kept on for change .

Remember even the British Govt. has demanded they change .

The NextGen game coverage on lfc.tv (sky 434) has started now. Strong enough lineup, and good bench with Adjoran, Pelosi and Morgan on the bench. Suso returns from suspension, and Sterling/Ngoo playing as well. Ward, the new keeper is on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

7 pm kick off

Belford, McLaughlin, Sama, Wisdom, Flanagan, Roddan, Coady, Silva, Suso, Sterling, Ngoo.

subs: Ward, McGiveron, Pelosi, Adorjan, Emilsson, Morgan.

http://www.sportz-for-free.org/spurstv.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Id suggest to watch that ^^^^ in firefox with adblock or you may go insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Ngoo!!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Ngoo misses a sitter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Ngoo is the rawest footballer I have ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Off topic but..

As we begin to speculate about targets for the summer, and we dream about players like Hazard and Cavani arriving, it is just as important that we can hold onto players like Reina, Agger, Enrique, Lucas and Suarez who could be subject to bids from the Barcelona's of this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

mixednuts wrote: »
    That's exactly what the FA would like us all to do but don't .

Take a step back and see what they have done . The joke of a judgment and the written verdict , the timing of the release etc etc .

Yes the club should and will move on .
    But as long as the FA continue to be shambles of a organisation that they are then it's for all fans benefits that the pressure is kept on for change .

Remember even the British Govt. has demanded they change .

Ok. Agreed. Let me rephrase, I personally need to take a step back from defending the man so vehemently in the real world! :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Irishkop is down for the final stage of our move to a new hosting package.Cant say how long it will be down for as its hard to say,the norm for a big move like this is between 6 hours & 72 hours.I will do my best to have it back up and running asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

djPSB wrote: »
    Off topic but..

As we begin to speculate about targets for the summer, and we dream about players like Hazard and Cavani arriving, it is just as important that we can hold onto players like Reina, Agger, Enrique, Lucas and Suarez who could be subject to bids from the Barcelona's of this world.

I'm just glad that Rafa wasn't given the funds he asked for at Inter or he might have taken Agger and Lucas with him. Iirc, there was serious interest in them that summer.

I think we're quite lucky at the moment in that, none of the top European clubs really require a keeper. Barça have Valdes, Real - Casillas, Bayern - Neuer, Inter - Cesar, Milan - Amelia etc. Can't really see him leave in the next two years at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

aaronh007 wrote: »

I think we're quite lucky at the moment in that, none of the top European clubs really require a keeper.

there is a team down the east lancs road that badly need a keeper ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

rossie1977 wrote: »

Yeah but as they're in the Europa, I didn't consider them :p

I'd value them at:

Reina: £20m
    Agger: £25m
    Lucas: £20m
    Suarez: £30m
    Enrique: £15m

rossie1977 wrote: »

They spent £20m on a young keeper last year so they should be sorted for a while.

You'd imagine. :pac:

djPSB wrote: »
    I'd value them at:

Agger: £25m
    Lucas: £20m
    Suarez: £30m
    Enrique: £15m

I'd imagine if they were sold they prices would be more along the lines of:

Agger: £18m