Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

5starpool wrote: »
    I'd imagine if they were sold they prices would be more along the lines of:

Reina: £20m
    Agger: £18m
    Lucas: £15m
    Suarez: £40m
    Enrique: £12m
    I'm sorry Lucas is at this stage at least a 25m pound player.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm sorry Lucas is at this stage at least a 25m pound player.

You might think he is, I might somewhat agree in terms of importance to the team, but I can almost guarantee that his price would be much closer to 15m than 25m if he was sold. Mascherano didn't even get sold for 20m and he was at the top of his game and one of the top in his position in the world when he was sold.

Irrelevant since he won't be sold anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

You might think he is, I might somewhat agree in terms of importance to the team, but I can almost guarantee that his price would be much closer to 15m than 25m if he was sold. Mascherano didn't even get sold for 20m and he was at the top of his game and one of the top in his position in the world when he was sold.

True but tbh i could'nt give a sh1te just seen what's happening at that football match in Egypt :mad: Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

True but tbh i could'nt give a sh1te just seen what's happening at that football match in Egypt :mad: Sickening.

What's happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Msacherano also wanted to leave and supposedly refused to play knocking his price down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

1-0 Spurs. I only caught 10-15 minutes of it in the first half because of broadband problems but I saw 4 great Liverpool chances; that was apparently typical of the whole match.

Out of the tournament now unfortunately. Just one of those nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

@LucasLeiva87Lucas Leiva
    Walking without crutches another small but important step of my rehab.

Sur he'll be back in a couple of weeks................ hardy buck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

kop77 wrote: »

Sur he'll be back in a couple of weeks................ hardy buck!

One small step for Lucas, one giant leap for Liverpool

Ok, I know he's only 17, but can anyone, and I mean anyone, defend having 4 defenders on the bench for a league match when we could have Sterling there instead.

It's not even possible to use all 4 defenders, which makes it all the more ridiculous.

If Hodgson did it . . .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Sappy404 wrote: »
    1-0 Spurs. I only caught 10-15 minutes of it in the first half because of broadband problems but I saw 4 great Liverpool chances; that was apparently typical of the whole match.

Out of the tournament now unfortunately. Just one of those nights.

They dominated the match but did not take any of the many, many chances they created. They should learn alot from the game. I would have liked them to go through as they would put it up to anyone left in the competition.
    Didn't think much of the Spurs team, thought they would have been better given some of their results.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ok, I know he's only 17, but can anyone, and I mean anyone, defend having 4 defenders on the bench for a league match when we could have Sterling there instead.

It's not even possible to use all 4 defenders, which makes it all the more ridiculous.

If Hodgson did it . . .

... we would have probably lost 3 nil.

If Hodgson did it . . .

Because he's not ready for the step up? The guy looks great but the level of play is really very poor. Add in the fact he's about two stone I really don't see what they guy could do at the top level for us at the moment.

Because he's not ready for the step up? The guy looks great but the level of play is really very poor. Add in the fact he's about two stone I really don't see what they guy could do at the top level for us at the moment.

kinda like Michael Owen when he was 17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

"Are you the first team in disguise?"

Jeez fierce unlucky tonight the lads. Sterling wow you pay to watch them sort of players. So so unlucky tonight.

Future looks positive though.

kinda like Michael Owen when he was 17

Owen was a striker not a winger.

Owen was a striker not a winger.

What difference does that make? Centre backs tend to be more physical than full backs so Raheem will be fine.

What difference does that make? Centre backs tend to be more physical than full backs so Raheem will be fine.

A winger will get the ball in front of his man and have to beat him one on one and then will have to deal with a covering centre back. He'll need excellent touch and control in tight spaces which I don't think he has yet. Owen never had to do any that and just used his pace and movement to get in behind defeners and then had enough time and space that he didn't need amazing touch or control. Most PL fullbacks will simply be able to lean into sterling and knock him off balance to easily. Also most covering players(either a centre back or midfielder) will have the pace to clean up or provide good cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

A winger will get the ball in front of his man and have to beat him one on one and then will have to deal with a covering centre back. He'll need excellent touch and control in tight spaces which I don't think he has yet. Owen never had to do any that and just used his pace and movement to get in behind defeners and then had enough time and space that he didn't need amazing touch or control. Most PL fullbacks will simply be able to lean into sterling and knock him off balance to easily. Also most covering players(either a centre back or midfielder) will have the pace to clean up or provide good cover.

Have you been watching the same player as the rest of us? His close control, speed and balance is what sets him apart. He is slight but he seems to be growing all the time.

Honestly can't understand where you got this idea from. Bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

If Hodgson did it . . .

He had all our available strikers on the pitch (Bellamy, Kuyt, Carroll). That's fairly attacking.

If Sterling, or any other of the under age players were good enough, Kenny would have them in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You've changed Chucky!

djPSB wrote: »
    He had all our available strikers on the pitch (Bellamy, Kuyt, Carroll). That's fairly attacking.

If Sterling, or any other of the under age players were good enough, Kenny would have them in the squad.

I'm pretty sure we'll see Sterling in the squad sooner rather than later. His development seemed to have stalled a little lately, probably due to off field distractions, which is understandable. Tonight was a welcome return to form. Could be a great option late in a game.

djPSB wrote: »

All the more reason to have our next best attacking options on the bench.

Coates, Carragher, Kelly and Aurelio cannot all be used from the bench, it's stupidity.

What is the criteria for choosing our subs? Seniority seems to be the order of the day. We need players who can change games, we need options from the bench.

Imagine if you can circumstances where even 3 of those defenders might be brought on. Because I can't. Coates will never get the nod ahead of Carragher, so he shouldn't be on the bench. Kelly/Johnson/Carra can all cover both full back positions, so Aurelio needn't be on the bench.

It seems like a small thing, but it really bugs me.

Have you been watching the same player as the rest of us? His close control, speed and balance is what sets him apart. He is slight but he seems to be growing all the time.

Honestly can't understand where you got this idea from. Bizarre.

It's what sets him apart at the level he is playing. I dont think he has excellent first touch and control compared to premiership players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

All the more reason to have our next best attacking options on the bench.

Coates, Carragher, Kelly and Aurelio cannot all be used from the bench, it's stupidity.

What is the criteria for choosing our subs? Seniority seems to be the order of the day. We need players who can change games, we need options from the bench.

Imagine if you can circumstances where even 3 of those defenders might be brought on. Because I can't. Coates will never get the nod ahead of Carragher, so he shouldn't be on the bench. Kelly/Johnson/Carra can all cover both full back positions, so Aurelio needn't be on the bench.

It seems like a small thing, but it really bugs me.

But at the same time, if we needed someone to play up top, Kuyt could have been moved there.

If we needed someone on the right, Bellamy could have switched or Downing could have came on.

If we needed someone on the left, Downing was on the bench or even Aurelio.

I'd imagine if players like Coates weren't even making the bench, they wouldn't be staying with us for too long.

Carragher also seems to be providing cover for Spearing at the minute.

Kenny will introduce the younger lads when they are ready.

It's what sets him apart at the level he is playing. I dont think he has excellent first touch and control compared to premiership players.

He's playing in an elite European Under-19 tournament. I think that's a pretty high standard. He is also extremely quick.

The biggest test will be the physical side of things.

Don't forget Shelvey, Flanagan and Robinson have all played at Premier League level. None of them looked as good as Sterling at this level when they played Sporting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Tonight was my first night seeing Sterling, and maybe I just caught him on a good night but I was very impressed, can definitely see why people rate him so highly. He is very slight, but it didn't seem to effect him too badly tonight, although up against PL defenders is a different story. I think his pace is something we could really do with in the first team, not saying he should be in the squad all the time or even regularly, but would like to see him given a few minutes once or twice before the end of the season.

He looks the perfect player to play left side of a 4-3-3 formation. His ball control/dribbling and pace stood out, once or twice his lay off or pass was poor enough, but this guy is only 16 (17?). I know he isn't ready to play in the PL regularly, but I think he would genuinely cause problems, this Liverpool team has very little pace and if he came off the bench in a match where a team was defending high up against us, he could cause havoc IMO. All this is just based off tonights game btw, so maybe he plays different usually or just had a good night tonight.

He's playing in an elite European Under-19 tournament. I think that's a pretty high standard. He is also extremely quick.

Don't forget Shelvey, Flanagan and Robinson have all played at Premier League level. None of them looked as good as Sterling at this level when they played Sporting.

Granted, it's a far less physical level he plays at - but i've never seen Sterling outmuscled badly in a game. I've seen teams kick him off the pitch and i've seen him get back up and continue to terrorise them.

If you're a tired full-back, and there's 80 minutes on the clock, would you rather face a lightning quick, tricky winger, who maybe isn't as strong as more developed wingers? Or would you rather Kuyt, Maxi or Downing came on?

I can tell you now what most defenders would think.

None of those look are good enough for Premier league level with us now either. Shelvey is the closest but even then he's a squad level player. I'm not saying he deson't have a great future I'm just saying he's not yet good enough for premier league matches and for someone who's just turned 17 I don't expect him to be.

None of those look are good enough for Premier league level with us now either. Shelvey is the closest but even then he's a squad level player. I'm not saying he deson't have a great future I'm just saying he's not yet good enough for premier league matches and for someone who's just turned 17 I don't expect him to be.

I think you're being pretty tough on Robinson and Shelvey in particular but their futures may well lie away from Liverpool.

I'm just very excited by Sterling. I have rarely seen a player with such balance and control and blistering pace. If he works hard I think we could have a really amazing player on our hands.

Of course, more fall by the wayside than make it.

He will be getting minutes in the PL this season, I have no doubt about that.

Next season, hopefully we will have bought one or two better wide players and Raheem can spend the next season or two as a squad player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Msacherano also wanted to leave and supposedly refused to play knocking his price down.

and the reason why I would never have him back at the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Anyone who watched the game against Bolton reserves a few weeks back will attest to not being in the slightest bit worried about Sterling coping with the more physical type defenders. Clubs are supposedly queuing up to take him on loan.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

None of those look are good enough for Premier league level with us now either.

i thought flanagan and robinson looked really good last season, especially flanagan who looked completely fearless against the likes of arsenal and city, flanagan got dropped and hasnt played since that mistake against sunderland and was that mistake any worse than agger losing dzeko last week against city or enriques two mistakes against bolton and man utd

I think you're being pretty tough on Robinson and Shelvey in particular but their futures may well lie away from Liverpool.

I'm just very excited by Sterling. I have rarely seen a player with such balance and control and blistering pace. If he works hard I think we could have a really amazing player on our hands.

Of course, more fall by the wayside than make it.

I don't think I'm being tough, just honest really. I'm taking anything away from either guys potential, I think Shelvey WILL be huge for us in the future and has the making of an excellent player but he was asked to step in now and start most games for the rest of the season I'd be extremely worried. Just because a guy isn't ready to make the step up now isn't/shouldn't be considered a knock against him. The vast majority of 19 years olds aren't ready for PL and not at the level Liverpool strive for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

if some of these guys were playing in belgium or france we'd be creaming ourselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Good post from someone on RAWK about Sterling. He watches an enormous amount of youth football and has seen pretty much every game Raheem has played since he made his debut for us as a 15 year old.
    I know it's boring to say, but I think you've got to trust the club on this one. It's a stock answer, and some times a cop out, but in this case just go with it. We paid a lot of money for him, Kenny singled him out before the game against Southend last year, Rafa mentioned him as one who could go onto the first team eventually, he's often involved in and around the first team. The club aren't oblivious to what they've got on their hands, they're protecting it. If you watch the academy show on the club channel, or you read the interviews with the youth players on the website - ask yourself when you've seen Sterling on there? I've seen Coady interviewed plenty, I've seen Jack Dunn and Jordan Lussey, who are younger than Sterling interviewed now. Never Sterling. After he signed someone - possibly Rodolfo - made the point about putting too much expectation on him. Someone over on the website made a compilation of his U18 debut for chrissakes.

Sterling isn't sneaking up on anyone in the club. They know he's a special talent, just like we do, he does, and everyone he plays against does. Just like QPR knew when they were setting up senior reserve games for the lad at 14/15 years old. Everyone knows, no one - who really matters - says. But we all know.

I've watched the lad in god knows how many games now, for Liverpool and in the summer for England. I've only twice come away thinking there was a player on the pitch with the same level of talent as him. Once was the Sporting match at Anfield when their striker, Betinho, and our new lad looked a cut above everyone, along with Sterling who terrorised their right back. The other was the youth cup against United when Ravel Morrison pretty much dragged their team through. And y'know what, that's one of the few matches I've ever seen where a youth team went into the match with specific tactics to nullify an opposition player. They would regularly double up and treble up on Sterling - who still set up the first goal. (Thankfully) we tried to play our own game against United, and Morrison made us pay.

He has an extremely high level of natural ability. Even everyone who preaching caution will concede that he's at the kind of Owen or Gerrard level when they were coming through. People exercise caution because they don't want to see a player like that ****ed over before he starts.

We'll see him when we see him. If it's in two weeks then great. If it's in two years then it'll be because people at the club think that'll be when it's best to see him, and with Sterling they've taken a special interest from minute one. It won't be because there's no desire to use youth, but because everyone can see he could be something very special, and we want to see him make the most of that.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Could we not of got Cisse back?!
    I miss him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The way I look at it is, we could have had our pick of a number of great deals striker-wise,like Cisse, but they would all damage our 35m strikers chances and confidence.

We really have so much invested in Carroll, not just all that money, but the time too. He's had two great games in a row, I'd be great to see him grow in confidence and somehow click with our style of play better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Grayditch wrote: »
    The way I look at it is, we could have had our pick of a number of great deals striker-wise,like Cisse, but they would all damage our 35m strikers chances and confidence.

We really have so much invested in Carroll, not just all that money, but the time too. He's had two great games in a row, I'd be great to see him grow in confidence and somehow click with our style of play better.

Cisse....bloody hell...some people have short memories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I can't see any of the young lads getting near the pitch this season, well, if things go according to plan anyway.

I'd say you'll see the likes of Sterling and Coady brought in next season for the Carling Cup and subs for League matches if there are a few injuries. Touch wood, not too many injuries this season, Lucas and Gerrard the 2 long term ones and there's a squad there that need games or sub appearances.

Flanagan I can understand as Kelly and Johnson are in good form and staying pretty much injury free. Robinson has been injured for a while and Aurelio is there. Maxi and Coates haven't made the subs bench for games.

Can't see Kenny taking the CC as seriously next season, particularly if we are in the CL. EC, he might try a couple of them as subs to give them experience.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

4 million, like ;)

Him and Baros both. Could of got both for cheap like. Sure f*ck it sack Kenny and bring Houiller and Evans as joint managers. :)

What ever happened to the joint manager situations? Don't see it much now.

Nice to have Cisse back in the premiership though. Adds a bit of colour with his enviable hairstyles and impressive artwork.

Aresnal and Chelsea both dropping points!

Now's the time to go on a roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

What is the date of the everton game does anyone know? Just lookin at the premier league website and they have no game listed for us on gameweek 26. It appears to be the everton game at anfield that is missing so I was wondering if this game has been shifted into a different gameweek but just hasn't been announced yet or whatever. This kind of info could give me a little boost in the old fantasy footie in the next couple of weeks..:D

Also to whoever said in the past few days that Adam does not have the second most assists in the league this season I would like to rectify that by saying that Adam does indeed have the second most assists of anyone in the league this year. Booya! Come on guys, credit where credit is due in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

mormank wrote: »
    What is the date of the everton game does anyone know? Just lookin at the premier league website and they have no game listed for us on gameweek 26. It appears to be the everton game at anfield that is missing so I was wondering if this game has been shifted into a different gameweek but just hasn't been announced yet or whatever. This kind of info could give me a little boost in the old fantasy footie in the next couple of weeks..:D

As far as I know the Everton game was listed for the same date as League Cup Final and has yet to be rescheduled. Could be wrong though.

Knex. wrote: »
    As far as I know the Everton game was listed for the same date as League Cup Final and has yet to be rescheduled. Could be wrong though.

Ah, I figured it was something to do with the CC final alright. Gotta findout when that derby is gonna be played so I can stock up on Pool players for that gameweek!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Cisse....bloody hell...some people have short memories!

In fairness to Cisse he stepped up in Istanbul and slotted home. The importance of that can never be overlooked.

In fairness to Cisse he stepped up in Istanbul and slotted home. The importance of that can never be overlooked.

Also scored in the FA cup final and if I recall correctly it was a good finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Him and Baros both. Could of got both for cheap like. Sure f*ck it sack Kenny and bring Houiller and Evans as joint managers. :)

What ever happened to the joint manager situations? Don't see it much now.

Nice to have Cisse back in the premiership though. Adds a bit of colour with his enviable hairstyles and impressive artwork.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement