Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Game Recommendations??

Options
  • 17-01-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Getting a new laptop and was wondering what recommendations people would have. Doesn't have to be genre specific. Just games that can be played easily enough on a laptop without an external mouse or keyboard. Haven't played PC games in a good while. Have stuck to the PS3.

Specs of the laptop are as follows:

XPS 14Z

Memory
    4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]

Video Card
    1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 520M Graphics Card with Optimus

Hard Drive
    500GB (7,200rpm) SATA Hard Drive

2nd generation Intel® Core™ I5-2430M processor 2.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.00 GHz (1GB Gra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Minecraft is always good, you don't really need a keyboard and mouse for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

joshrogan wrote: »
    Minecraft is always good, you don't really need a keyboard and mouse for it either.
    Thanks i'll have a look. Was thinking of minesweeper there first!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

I've played Portal on a laptop, you can get away with it without too much trouble. I'd imagine any RTS's will be your best bet, as well as football manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Civ IV or V are perfect on laptop, haven't tried Skyrim on mine but I reckon it's better left to desktop PC unless you've an insane laptop. Would be lost without Football Manager on my laptop tbh!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Using the mouse pad will definitely limit what games you can play properly, as it's really not suited for gaming. But try some RTS's and see how you find them. Company of Heroes, World in Conflict and the Warhammer series are all great. As others said, Football Manager would also be good if you like sims.

You could pick up a mouse for nothing, and your choice would improve massively.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the recommendations will have look lads. Not against using a mouse but usually just have the laptop on the bed or my lap. Half afraid to get into Football Manager again!

Keep any recommendations coming lads. Don't suppose theres been any point and clicky Broken Sword type games worth playing recently?

Also can you port a PS3 controller to use on a laptop?

Anything Final Fantasyish either

Also is Dragon Age: Origins laptopable?

Also is Dragon Age: Origins laptopable?

I have this, played it on my desktop, but I game on my laptop too. I would think so, as you mostly play by using the spacebar to "pause" the game mid battle, pick a tactic or target or item to use, and space bar to unpause. I'd imagine it's doable on a mousepad. I'd second what was said about skyrim, and would question how easy it'd be to pay it with a mousepad. Still, if you want to give it a go, I'd suggest trying out oblivion first to see what that's like on it. As well as probably running better than skyrim on a laptop, you haven't blown €50 on a game that might be horrible to play with a mousepad.

I have this, played it on my desktop, but I game on my laptop too. I would think so, as you mostly play by using the spacebar to "pause" the game mid battle, pick a tactic or target or item to use, and space bar to unpause. I'd imagine it's doable on a mousepad. I'd second what was said about skyrim, and would question how easy it'd be to pay it with a mousepad. Still, if you want to give it a go, I'd suggest trying out oblivion first to see what that's like on it. As well as probably running better than skyrim on a laptop, you haven't blown €50 on a game that might be horrible to play with a mousepad.
    Thanks will see if I can pick up Dragon Origins cheap. Probably leave Skyrim for the PS3

• Advertisement

Probably leave Skyrim for the PS3

Take this from a playstation fanboy, don't. It suffers from terrible lag and stuttering as well as other issues. 3 seconds of googling will show you. New Vegas was similarly shite on ps3 as well, and Bethesda have lately claimed that there isn't enough memory available for their games, yet that doesn't seem to stop other developers from bringing some stellar games to the platform.
    /rant

tl:dr version: skyrim is horrible on ps3. :(

edit:also, you can use ps3 controllers on laptop, wired and over bluetooth. It's a little tricky, but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Skyrim would run on that laptop.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Thanks lads. Have heard about issues alright. Might pick up a mouse and go for it so. Wasnt sure if it could handle it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

IF your a football fan then, Football Manager 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

You could try the Total War series.They are very good games and easily playable with a mousepad and your laptop will have no problem playing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

The Binding of Isaac has been driving me nuts on and off over the last few weeks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Fallout 3 and NV and mod the crap outta them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Malice wrote: »
    The Binding of Isaac has been driving me nuts on and off over the last few weeks.

The amount of time i've spent on this game! I keep nearly finishing it but continuously fail, I won't say how many hours I have logged. :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

oh and the stalker series !

dreamers75 wrote: »

Twould. TBH I didn't look at the laptop spec :o was just trying to think of games that would not suffer from using a touchpad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Keep any recommendations coming lads. Don't suppose theres been any point and clicky Broken Sword type games worth playing recently?

Broken Sword 5 is in development apparently ! Can't wait, one of my favorite series.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You could always get an xbox controller and play whatever game you want on the laptop.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Civ 5 would be fine with the touch pad of a laptop.

ScumLord wrote: »
    You could always get an xbox controller and play whatever game you want on the laptop.

Is it easy to configure a PS3 controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Got the wife a Lenovo laptop for xmas and it the mousepad is on the right hand side making WASD and mousepadd possible.

Even has a numberpad!

No relevance to OP just thought i would share that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Is it easy to configure a PS3 controller?
    I tried to do it a week ago. I got the thing to work and it picked it up and all the controls were being recognised correctly. This will help getting that setup. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/45610/how-to-use-your-ps-3-controllers-as-a-joystick-for-your-windows-pc/

But when it came to games I found it very difficult to get the controller working. In L4D2 for example to look up and down it used the accelerometer instead of the analog, obviously that's not usable. Got it going pretty well with Battlefield 3 but then got sick of getting all the settings working properly so just stopped trying :P

As for Skyrim with a mousepad, it's fine. I have the XPS 17 and this new line of XPS's have very good trackpads which might help. But I have 100+ hours of Skyrim on my laptop and so has my brother, it's fine. Skryrim isn't exactly a fast paced FPS or anything. Other games I have played on my laptop are Portal 2 and Half-Life 2 runs pretty well with a mousepad.

Advertisement