Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tools ye use for grass measuring

• 17-01-2012 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

never took this grass measuring seriously but am this year, wonder what tools ye use to this job and where would i get cheap shears, scales, quadrat etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭topgeas

me 2 eyes. works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzIWy9RxWYlRv5SaYsR6RgLTzk3G9SFB9wyrHUaRD_Nu4LKKVe8X6BwhM

just these:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

quadrant is a bit of a pain in the arse, need to cut a representative area of the field then guess the dm of the grass

plate meter is accurate, but time consuming

eyeballing is quick, but not as accurate, depends on your mood, same field will have more on it on a sunny day than a dull wet day!!!!

teagasc use a a4 sheet with 4/5 boxes on it great for beginners.
    put each paddock into one of the boxes depending on the amount of grass, easy and very little second guessing yourself

i would eyeball them, but bring the plate meter along with me, measuring the one just grazed for residual, next one to be grazed to see what cows are eating, and a few more along the way just to keep the eye in check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I use a technical pair of eyes for it, much better than the average eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

hows every one for grass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

stanflt wrote: »
    hows every one for grass

very low, made the last rolly late saturday night.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

Haven't done any measuring yet but there a lot out there cows going out as soon as I have enough of them calved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I picked up clippers in LIDL a couple of years ago. they come on the end of a handle but thats detachable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

case 5150 wrote: »
    never took this grass measuring seriously but am this year, wonder what tools ye use to this job and where would i get cheap shears, scales, quadrat etc etc
    If you want to contact the Irish Grassland Association on 087 9626483 or go to the website

http://www.irishgrassland.com/

They had a grass measuring pack last year for 40 euro, everything you need there except the quadrant, which you can make yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

draw up an oul ruler on your welly boot. does the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

contact eamon egan in teagasc roscommon. i saw the grass measuring stick at a sheep information night recently . it will cost you very little and he is a very helpful nice man.

Advertisement