Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would a new modem router help?

• 17-01-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, I'm currently using a standard eircom wireless router modem for the house. Unfortunately where we are we are limited to roughly 1mb download. As it stands running a games console, iPhone, iPad and 2 laptops off this is causing serious speed problems. It is liveable bar the games console-serious lag can be encountered. I was in pcworld and they did recommend buying a n300 router modem to help the situation. Just wondering is this just salesmans talk or is there truth to this? I know it wouldnt increase the speed but would it help the spread? Btw I see that there's a Netgear Wireless N300 Modem Router Phone Line for sale at Argos for 79.99 which seems a good deal. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

I had wireless problems & the suggested solution was similar to yours. I bought a Belkin n300 router at PC World.

It certainly increased the range of the wireless signal (i.e. very strong signal all over the house) and there's an improvement in the signal quality.

Funny thing, my Eircom bundle is for 3mb broadband but, on occasions, I've speed tested & recorded speeds in excess of 4mb.

Maybe Eircom are getting ready to give me next generation broadband??? :confused: :cool:

Anyone from Eircom like to address this??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

First I would reccomend avoiding Belkin, they are very poor in expierience, and I'm not alone with that view! Second if your limited to 1meg your going to find using multiple devices to be slow.
    If your connection is poor you may have latency issues, this would effect your online gaming. A poor wireless signal will also effect gaming. I would try the console wired in to the modem to see if the problem is the internet connection/or wireless issues. You can use "Homeplugs" or "Power Lines" which may help with this.
    Bottom line is I don't think a new modem/router will help much, well it depends on the wifi signal but I'd be pointing the blame at the connection. You may not even be getting the full 1meg even!
    I'll move this over to Broadband which is a more appropriate forum for this kinda discussion :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

OP, what else are you doing with the other devices when you start experiencing your lag? If you're doing bandwidth intensive things on the other devices thats certainly going to have a knock on effect on such a low speed. What kind of upload speeds are you getting?

Have you tried running a speed test to see what your results are, both when the connection is good and when you encounter issues?
    Anyone from Eircom like to address this??
    In the Talk To Eircom forum, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Cooldrim

OP, what else are you doing with the other devices when you start experiencing your lag? If you're doing bandwidth intensive things on the other devices thats certainly going to have a knock on effect on such a low speed. What kind of upload speeds are you getting?

Just mostly browsing, bit of you tube also thrown in and music downloads.

Have you tried running a speed test to see what your results are, both when the connection is good and when you encounter issues?

Running speed test on this shows downloads between .5 and .8. Uploads have never gone above .2. The ping is normally around 85 to 105. This would prob be during good and bad times.

yoyo wrote: »
    Bottom line is I don't think a new modem/router will help much, well it depends on the wifi signal but I'd be pointing the blame at the connection. You may not even be getting the full 1meg even!
    I'll move this over to Broadband which is a more appropriate forum for this kinda discussion :)

I've exhausted all avenues with eircom re this. I'm at the extreme edge of the exchange and eircom are surprised I can even get the broadband here. No other broadband provider eg Vodafone will even take me on due to the line. What I have I'm stuck with and if I can improve it anyway at all (cheaply!) it's worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Remember too that a wireless 'n' model will only offer benefits if all the items in the network are also 'n'

Have you made sure that everything else (if there is anything else) is properly filtered?

dub45 wrote: »
    Remember too that a wireless 'n' model will only offer benefits if all the items in the network are also 'n'

Have you made sure that everything else (if there is anything else) is properly filtered?

You've lost me now. Can you explain further please?

Advertisement