Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick business that have put up prices over VAT increase?

• 17-01-2012 9:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

So what places around town have put up there prices

Heard of a few cafes and pubs

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

HMV insisted on an extra 40-odd cent when I tried the 2 for €12 offer last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Big_Evil

HMV insisted on an extra 40-odd cent when I tried the 2 for €12 offer last week.

HMV are in dire need of the money :rolleyes:

Fairly sneaky way of trying to bump up prices...everybody knows they are struggling and prob wont survive another 12 months

Not surprised to hear some pubs have snuck in a price increase too, albeit a pretty daft move - weekends in Limerick seem to be getting a lot quieter of late - and it is not just down to the usual Jan blues either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Heard of a few pubs in town putting 10 cent on to drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

Cafés/restaurants should surely be basing prices on the 9% rate that applies to the hospitality sector, excluding soft drinks and alcoholic beverages?

Perhaps increases in electricity etc are hitting some harder than others, and the only way is to pass it on to the customer rather than absorb the cost.

Wrong move Mr.Noonan, wrong move.

Front page of the Chronicle with the local pubs saying VaAT increase will ruin the industry

Dont raise prices so try encourage people to come in

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/vat_increases_could_ruin_pub_industry_in_limerick_1_3426086

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

bigpink wrote: »
    Front page of the Chronicle with the local pubs saying VaAT increase will ruin the industry

Dont raise prices so try encourage people to come in

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/vat_increases_could_ruin_pub_industry_in_limerick_1_3426086

You do realise that whether the pubs or any business for matter raises their prices or not they must still pay the VAT increases to revenue, I serioulsy doubt that there are many pubs that can afford to take the hit.

Yes i see that point of it but i just hope places dont try more than 2 %

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

bigpink wrote: »
    Yes i see that point of it but i just hope places dont try more than 2 %

Kind of like when we moved from the £ to the €. Nearly every other business rounded up the amount to the nearest 10c instead of the correct exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

From that Leader article:

"....The 2% increase would average at about seven cent on a pint, but publicans have been forced to add ten cent to the price for common sense reasons, increasing to €4.10 for a pint of stout and to €4.50 for a pint of lager......"

"Forced", I doubt if they could wipe the smile off their mugs saying that. So for "common sense" reasons they're going to magically pocket 3 cents per drink while habitually whining about the dwindling numbers in pubs. How about absorbing the 7c instead? Of course not, "Oh no, not us, we're above the little people, we can't be hurt"

Every other business in the country has cut prices to stay in business. Few if any publicans have made any effort to offer value for money, those who do, cut price drinks on nights when few people are out (although credit to them for at least doing something).

Publicans seem to think prices can only move in one direction. During the Celtic Mad-times when taxes were not increased the pubs and breweries shoved up the prices frequently without giving a damn for customers or the effect their prices were having on tourism.

And yet, while I was talking to a pub owner over the w/e, all he bitched about was the smoking ban, supermarkets, takeaways and drink-driving rules, when I broached any possibility of even a "Happy Hour" he said it was "impossible, Guinness and the LVA would have me shut down".

tbh, they're fooling themselves, this 10 cent rise will soon become 20 cent as the publicans will use the "common sense, less small change in your pocket" argument. Drink and in particular, drinking in pubs, is fast becoming a luxury.

If the monoplies (Brewers and the Vintners' Association primarily) can't see the wood for the trees then more pubs will shut up shop. Bring down yer prices and cut your cloth to measure like everyone else has had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Voy

Do people generally base their decisions to go to a pub based on price though?

I mean, even if one pub had particularly lower prices, if people are staying at home to save money, they're always going to make a saving over even the cheapest pub anyway. The majority of people will go to the popular pubs, which don't become popular because they're serving cheap drink. As much money as publicans claim to be losing, if they don't see it necessary to drop their prices to keep their business going, why would they?

• Advertisement

Well, I hear what you're saying Voy and as regrds customers you make valid points throughout.

However the Publicans are only ones I hear constantly complaining about trade being down, in most other businesses traders will look at how their prices are affecting trade and act accordingly - this is something the licenced trade seems to think they're above.

What people are fearing is that the price of say Guinness, which was €4.00 on average, now trades at €4.10.....will during the summer climb to €4.20 and slyly meander up to €4.50 by this time next year on that "common sense" theory known only to the virtual monopoly that controls the drinks industry.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a vastly overpriced product even at current prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

europa11 wrote: »
    From that Leader article:

"....The 2% increase would average at about seven cent on a pint, but publicans have been forced to add ten cent to the price for common sense reasons, increasing to €4.10 for a pint of stout and to €4.50 for a pint of lager......"

"Forced", I doubt if they could wipe the smile off their mugs saying that. So for "common sense" reasons they're going to magically pocket 3 cents per drink while habitually whining about the dwindling numbers in pubs. How about absorbing the 7c instead? Of course not, "Oh no, not us, we're above the little people, we can't be hurt"

Every other business in the country has cut prices to stay in business. Few if any publicans have made any effort to offer value for money, those who do, cut price drinks on nights when few people are out (although credit to them for at least doing something).

Publicans seem to think prices can only move in one direction. During the Celtic Mad-times when taxes were not increased the pubs and breweries shoved up the prices frequently without giving a damn for customers or the effect their prices were having on tourism.

And yet, while I was talking to a pub owner over the w/e, all he bitched about was the smoking ban, supermarkets, takeaways and drink-driving rules, when I broached any possibility of even a "Happy Hour" he said it was "impossible, Guinness and the LVA would have me shut down".

tbh, they're fooling themselves, this 10 cent rise will soon become 20 cent as the publicans will use the "common sense, less small change in your pocket" argument. Drink and in particular, drinking in pubs, is fast becoming a luxury.

If the monoplies (Brewers and the Vintners' Association primarily) can't see the wood for the trees then more pubs will shut up shop. Bring down yer prices and cut your cloth to measure like everyone else has had to.

You should really educate urself and get a broad based sense of what is going on before posting, while I fully appreciate that you are entitled to your opinion, what you have posted above is nothing more than your opinion, with the odd specific point and couldn't be further from the truth in many cases in pubs throughout limerick. Feel free to call in any day for a tea or coffee on the house and a true insight to the pub business in limerick. Oh btw we didn't increase the vat. A Guinness is still below €3.50, I won't actually quote the price and I haven't seen a publican with a smile on his face in a very long time. U might correct me on a incidental point but not on the majority......

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheEntertainer

Im still trying to figure out why there was 3.6bn in cuts etc when a few weeks before the budget they more or less just happened to find 3.6bn lying around under a mattress or as they called it human error in the NTMA and department of finance. And this is what i found really stupid "The correction has reduced the national debt by 2.3% but will not have any impact on next month's Budget" (RTE, 2011). Its like me saying I won the euromillions but sure il go to work anyway :p

You should really educate urself and get a broad based sense of what is going on before posting...... A Guinness is still below €3.50, I won't actually quote the price .........

OK, Ken, maybe I'm drinking in the wrong places, so educate me. Where will I find a pint Guinness for less than €3.50 in Limerick?

(Leaving aside Sarsfield Barracks and we are talking about Guinness, not Beamish)

Going by my experience over the weekend, and I was out Fri/Sat and Sun, I had pints in a total of ten pubs, all city centre based, I will quote the prices - of those in which I bought a round in - all charged variously €4.00 / €4.10 / €4.50 per pint, so if there are bargains to be had, please do tell.

As for increasing the VAT, well of course you didn't increase it, the Governmant only have that power, however, a 2% rise comes to 7 cent, What the publicans did do was to "top up" by an additional 3 cent - a la the same rounding-up procedure that we experienced during the euro-changeover.

Am I also wrong btw, in not thinking that this rise will be the last one?, or as I suspect (correct me by all means), are prices set to increase further from the brewers/publicans in the coming months?

Thanks for the free coffee offer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭skyguy19

there a price increase also coming next month on all drink. the vinituers are putting it up as they said it hasnt risen in 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

You should really educate urself and get a broad based sense of what is going on before posting...... A Guinness is still below €3.50, I won't actually quote the price .........

OK, Ken, maybe I'm drinking in the wrong places, so educate me. Where will I find a pint Guinness for less than €3.50 in Limerick?

(Leaving aside Sarsfield Barracks and we are talking about Guinness, not Beamish)

Going by my experience over the weekend, and I was out Fri/Sat and Sun, I had pints in a total of ten pubs, all city centre based, I will quote the prices - of those in which I bought a round in - all charged variously €4.00 / €4.10 / €4.50 per pint, so if there are bargains to be had, please do tell.

As for increasing the VAT, well of course you didn't increase it, the Governmant only have that power, however, a 2% rise comes to 7 cent, What the publicans did do was to "top up" by an additional 3 cent - a la the same rounding-up procedure that we experienced during the euro-changeover.

Am I also wrong btw, in not thinking that this rise will be the last one?, or as I suspect (correct me by all means), are prices set to increase further from the brewers/publicans in the coming months?

Thanks for the free coffee offer. :)

Oconnells, men's pub for 3.30 and it is good Guinness :)

Posted from my phone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheEntertainer

I dont know but I think theres a pub called O Connells that sell Guinness for 3.30 a pint. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭adaminho

skyguy19 wrote: »
    there a price increase also coming next month on all drink. the vinituers are putting it up as they said it hasnt risen in 2 years.

The vintners don't put up the price. Price increases either come from the Government (vat) or the Brewery's (wholesale cost).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Im still trying to figure out why there was 3.6bn in cuts etc when a few weeks before the budget they more or less just happened to find 3.6bn lying around under a mattress or as they called it human error in the NTMA and department of finance. And this is what i found really stupid "The correction has reduced the national debt by 2.3% but will not have any impact on next month's Budget" (RTE, 2011). Its like me saying I won the euromillions but sure il go to work anyway :p

There is a big difference between national debt and the budget deficit however. It is like comparing apples and oranges in a way - the debt has no impact on the deficit - so even if we 'found' €20bn, we would still have to cut the deficit as even with the cuts we are spending €8-10bn too much every year which is obviously unsustainable.

I don't think the VAT increase was a good move however given how retail is finding it very tough at the moment as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭skyguy19

adaminho wrote: »
    The vintners don't put up the price. Price increases either come from the Government (vat) or the Brewery's (wholesale cost).

and the Vintners represent the publicians, look wait and see it will be announced in the next few weeks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are just putting another nail in their own coffin. More and more people will just go to the off licence/supermarkets for cheap booze and drink it at home. You can see it on Saturday nights, pubs that used to be packed are now half empty.

I dont know but I think theres a pub called O Connells that sell Guinness for 3.30 a pint. :-)

Good, not knowing who Ken is I didn't make the link (that and not having had drinks there since the Old Quarter days), but will be happy to support someone with a more realistic notion of the products actual value. I'll skip that coffee ;) roll on Friday.

Anyone else following this example, or is it a solo run? Pleasantly surprised the LVI and Guinness aren't whining about underselling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Or the Publican (profit)

Who told you that? Of course they have put on price inceases, usually in tandem with the breweries.

This latest rise was the first VAT/Excise increase in donkeys years. All increases during the Tiger madness came courtesy of the brewers and/or the vintners.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Good, not knowing who Ken is I didn't make the link (that and not having had drinks there since the Old Quarter days), but will be happy to support someone with a more realistic notion of the products actual value. I'll skip that coffee ;) roll on Friday.

Anyone else following this example, or is it a solo run? Pleasantly surprised the LVI and Guinness aren't whining about underselling.

Guinness is €2.95 in Synotts (O'Connells!!) in Annacotty for the month of January as far as I know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

In fairness it feels at times that ken is the only one willing to put on GOOD offers to actually draw people in.

The steak deal in Annacotty, the soup and sandwich deal in town, table quiz Monday nights with cash prizes and cheap drinks in town.

It doesn't seem that any other bars in the city are going to as much bother as ken is to draw in the punters.

The closest I can recall is the Locke doing free finger food at 5 on a Friday!

Everyplace else feels like a rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

source wrote: »
    In fairness it feels at times that ken is the only one willing to put on GOOD offers to actually draw people in.

The steak deal in Annacotty, the soup and sandwich deal in town, table quiz Monday nights with cash prizes and cheap drinks in town.

It doesn't seem that any other bars in the city are going to as much bother as ken is to draw in the punters.

The closest I can recall is the Locke doing free finger food at 5 on a Friday!

Everyplace else feels like a rip off.

not to mention too but that on said quiz nights, the price of a good pint of guinness, actually, no, one of THE best pints of guinness in the town, is only €3.00! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭SnoopyGunner

Yes, really good Guinness at O'Connell's and their evening menu from 5 to 7pm is buy one get one free! Great value, and I agree that sometimes Ken does seem to be the only publican offering a good deal to customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭diol07

Price rounding is not as simple as you make it out to be. Rounding from 7cent to 10cent is common sense. The days when cashiers and customers deal with pennies are long gone and this is commonly accepted. Give a customer 3cent change and they either walk away and tell you to keep it or it goes straight in to the charity box. From a business perspective, it makes a big difference in till management and when cashing up at the end of the evening, counting pennies is both time consuming and a pain in the ass. It's just not practical anymore. For retailers, do you honestly think they are going to re-price a bag/shoe/clothing from say €65 to €66.30? No chance, it'll be €67. You price it at €66.30, you have customers saying "I don't have the 30 cent, you'll hardly take it off me!". You have a sale with say 20% off, the €66.30 becomes €53.04 - inconvenient pricing that just isn't practical in a busy, fast paced store. A nightmare for the staff and management when it comes to sale pricing, sourcing price tickets etc too.

Today at work we received a letter from one of our European suppliers (German) instructing us to increase everything by €2 due to the Irish VAT increase. That came from the supplier, not the retailer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

diol07 wrote: »
    PFor retailers, do you honestly think they are going to re-price a bag/shoe/clothing from say €65 to €66.30? No chance, it'll be €67. You price it at €66.30, you have customers saying "I don't have the 30 cent, you'll hardly take it off me!".
    Why not E66.50?

Advertisement