Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog had heat in August bleeding again??

• 17-01-2012 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Our dog was in heat in August she bled for a couple of weeks. Now she has started to bleed again. Is this normal so soon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yeah thats normal. They usually comes in roughly every 6 months but can be anywhere between 4 & 8 months. My bitch is in season now and was in season in july.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

andreac wrote: »
    Yeah thats normal. They usually comes in roughly every 6 months but can be anywhere between 4 & 8 months. My bitch is in season now and was in season in july.

How on earth do you prevent her mating with your male Rottie - is he entire ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yeah he is. Hes not that interested in her at the moment as shes not that far in yet and as hes mated before he knows when they are ready. I usually get to day ten before he changes completely then one or other goes off to my parents. But they are never alone together. The female is currently on crate rest so shes in there most of the time and if shes out hes in the crate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

OP - what breed is your dog? Smaller breeds tend to have shorter heat cycles so it is not unusual at all for a small breed to come into heat every 4 months. The average is 6 months but (just like human females!) each dog has its own individual cycle pattern.

If you are planning on neutering (I know, you didn't mention it but just a tid bit of info!), you will need to do it in the middle of her heats - so if (on average) she is coming into her every 4 months, or 16ish weeks, you will need to wait 2 months/8 weeks after her first day of heat to get her spayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Thanks she is a collie akita mix not small. After I posted I realised that it had been a couple of months so wasn't too worried just seems like no time ago really. Yeah we are thinking of getting her neutered, anyone know if its free for unemployed person? I'm working but my girlfriend isn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

You can get it for €20 on the dogs trust scheme, ask your local vet for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Thanks she is a collie akita mix not small. After I posted I realised that it had been a couple of months so wasn't too worried just seems like no time ago really. Yeah we are thinking of getting her neutered, anyone know if its free for unemployed person? I'm working but my girlfriend isn't
    sorry to add my bit but this makes me so mad, if your working, though your girlfriend isnt why should you get it done on any scheme. dog trust vouchers are a god send for people that really needs them. what happens that when they are abused like this the dogs/people that really need them usually dont get them as they have ran out as there is only a certain amount each yr.
    dont get me wrong not just getting at you but if your working please DONT abuse this scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

sorry to add my bit but this makes me so mad, if your working, though your girlfriend isnt why should you get it done on any scheme. dog trust vouchers are a god send for people that really needs them. what happens that when they are abused like this the dogs/people that really need them usually dont get them as they have ran out as there is only a certain amount each yr.
    dont get me wrong not just getting at you but if your working please DONT abuse this scheme.

I can see how this annoys you. I'm working for basic wage on 3 month contract as company wont commit to anything longterm, my gf gets €90 a week from social welfare she is also 9 months pregnant we have expenses just like everyone else so basically I'm just looking for anyway to save money if we can. Our priority now is saving our extra money for our baby.

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    I can see how this annoys you. I'm working for basic wage on 3 month contract as company wont commit to anything longterm, my gf gets €90 a week from social welfare she is also 9 months pregnant we have expenses just like everyone else so basically I'm just looking for anyway to save money if we can. Our priority now is saving our extra money for our baby.

while i DO understand what your saying me and my oh are the same. his on basic wage and i dont get anything cos we live together. we are saving at the moment to get are st bernard spayed, which is costing us €250. while i could i suppose get her done on my parents pension book i would not do this as he is working. we also have everyday expenses, plus 2 kids still living with me. sorry but i just dont think its right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Who, exactly, loses out if this person claims under this scheme?

Given the amount of dogs out there, €20 is sufficient payment for anyone to get a dog neutered. The ridiculous costs of vets are a big reason why so many people never get animals neutered.

If a person is unemployed, having been previously employed, then get your dog treated under the scheme. We pay a hell of an amount of tax, and because we pay so much tax is not a justifiable reason why we should pay more than is necessary for a service. (My P60 makes my eyes water to see the deductions.)

• Advertisement

Gophur wrote: »

Given the amount of dogs out there, €20 is sufficient payment for anyone to get a dog neutered. The ridiculous costs of vets are a big reason why so many people never get animals neutered.

If a person is unemployed, having been previously employed, then get your dog treated under the scheme. We pay a hell of an amount of tax, and because we pay so much tax is not a justifiable reason why we should pay more than is necessary for a service. (My P60 makes my eyes water to see the deductions.)
    by doing this you are cheating a charity out of money that could be used for other dogs who are more in neeed. dogs trust is a animal charity has nothing to do with your p60. yeah if this scheme was run by the goverment yeah i would be the 1st to agree with you but as i said its not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

The charity that pays for it loses out, and the other animals that they could possibly help if so many people didn't abuse the scheme. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the government. In my view, its the same as asking other people to pay for it, as that is who is paying, from the donations the charity gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Could be wrong but I have heard that there are only a certain amount of vochurs available each year? Also to qualify you must be on means tested social welfare payment e.g if you are on job seekers benefit you are not eligible for a vochure. Check out dogstrust website. On the other hand if Hobbitfeet's other half is on a means tested payment and social welfare know their circumstances surely they qualify for a vochure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

The charity and other people who genuinely need these vouchers lose out, there are only a certain amount given to vets each year and once they are gone they are gone. I could be mistaken but I thought I had heard somewhere that they no longer could afford to carry on with this service anyways (or maybe they are cutting back on the number of vouchers given out).

As for you saying €20 is sufficent to cover costs in a vets it certainly isin't. You have so many factors to consider when coming up with a price, they don't pull wild figures out of the air and make a killing doing spays and neuters. You have the vet's/nurse's time/wage, the cost of drugs & anaesthetic, the cost of sterilising the equipment used, the cost of all the little things used such as syringes, swabs, hibiscrub, catheters, cotton wool, the cost of buying the actual instruments and equipment (op table, anaesthetic machine, kennel, autoclave to sterilise the instruments) to make back plus a hundred and one other costs that all add up to ensure the practice actually stays afloat.

I agree costs are a major reason why an awful lot of people don't get their pets neutered but blaming it on the vets I think is a bit harsh. If my dog went lame tomorrow I could most likely have him seen by a vet, x-rayed, results of the x-rays back and seen by vet, bloods taken and results back and depending on the problem I could have it sorted and him ready to go home by the evening time!

I had still have a dodgy knee and wrist, I had to get an appointment at the doctors for a few days in advance because clearly they are too busy to see me the same day (:rolleyes:), have it examined by the gp, then get an appointment for what I think was at least a week if not a few weeks later to get it x-rayed and then wait a few more days for the results of the x-ray before finally being told their not broken (this was 2 separate issues about a year apart), here's an anti-inflammatory cream off you go. It takes I think 7-10 days for results of bloods to come back. So I think compared to if I went lame (can you use that word for a human :o) in the morning vets offer a pretty good service compared to gp's/hospitals! :D

Anyways apologies that is completely off topic! If your worried about costs OP ring around different vets as the price does vary a lot, also ask if you could pay in installments if that would be easier.

Advertisement