Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More fees?

Options
  • 17-01-2012 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone just wondering did anyone else get a letter to pay additional fees? Today I got a letter to say I have an overdue ammount of €171 I dont know what this is for as i paid the full ammount of what they asked me at the start of the academic year? I'd appreciate any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I dont know if its coincidence but I think the cost of a repeat exam is €171...

It could be a mistake though, contact SAA is your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    I dont know if its coincidence but I think the cost of a repeat exam is €171...

It could be a mistake though, contact SAA is your best bet.

Oh Jesus. Well I'm fcked anyway!! I've never failed an exam do you think this could be from the Christmas exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

They would not be advising you that it is "overdue" if it was for a repeat probably just a admin error. Repeat letters don't go out until June. Call SAA in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

am, is it safe to assume if we haven't received a letter, we have not failed an exam?

Hope whatever it is Templar Knight that it works out for you anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

1huge1 wrote: »
    am, is it safe to assume if we haven't received a letter, we have not failed an exam?

Hope whatever it is Templar Knight that it works out for you anyway

You will never receive a letter after Christmas exams only the Summer ones, to advise you of the repeat process if you have failed any module in Semester one or two, the only way to know is wait until the 19th and Log on.

Fail is (F) grade, if you get a D1/D2 and your QCA is still above 2.0 you get a email advising you that you can repeat if you wish but not compulsory.

Even in the summer the letters can arrive later than the results day so it's never safe to assume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hybrid_Theory

I got a letter today too asking me to pay fees but I rang the SAA and they told me that it was an administration error and to ignore it, it is prob the same for you. :) Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I got a letter citing an overdue balance of 2072 euro :eek: That's the fee in its entirety, if memory serves.

I've emailed some documentation which shows I've paid, and am awaiting a reply....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I was going to start a new thread but this is similar, I also got a letter today saying i need to pay the €72 fee for 2011/12.
    I get the grant so thats all i paid for first year. Do you have to pay it again for second year? and if so why is this the first letter im getting about it. My results will prob be locked now because of this. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I got one too saying I needed to pay 2000!

I phoned up and they said it didn't matter anyway cause I have my grant. It's just a mistake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

garv123 wrote: »
    I was going to start a new thread but this is similar, I also got a letter today saying i need to pay the €72 fee for 2011/12.
    I get the grant so thats all i paid for first year. Do you have to pay it again for second year? and if so why is this the first letter im getting about it. My results will prob be locked now because of this. :(

The 72e charge was introduced this year. You have to pay it even if you get the grant. It's a UL levy AFAIK.

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The 72e charge was introduced this year. You have to pay it even if you get the grant. It's a UL levy AFAIK.

Bit late them telling me this now :( will most likely have to pay it before i get my results.

garv123 wrote: »
    Bit late them telling me this now :( will most likely have to pay it before i get my results.

You can pay it online with a Laser card if you have one I think. Go into the student portal the same way you would check your results.

And I understand how you made the mistake. The forms were worded terribly, I only paid the 72e because I thought it'd be easier to get it refunded than to not pay it.

You can pay it online with a Laser card if you have one I think. Go into the student portal the same way you would check your results.

And I understand how you made the mistake. The forms were worded terribly, I only paid the 72e because I thought it'd be easier to get it refunded than to not pay it.

Thanks il have a look at that.

This is the first letter i got off UL since the repeats letter so i didnt know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I got one for 2000 euro today too :/
    Said I never had any outstanding balance on Student Portal :/

I got one for 2000 euro today too :/
    Said I never had any outstanding balance on Student Portal :/

Probably just an admin error. Ring them and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

An expensive one at my expense!
    I'll give them a ring tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

It definately wasn't introduced this year, I had to pay it last year as well.

yesno1234 wrote: »
    It definately wasn't introduced this year, I had to pay it last year as well.

Oh... maybe... I don't really remember what I paid last year tbh so it's quite possible I'm mistaken.

Either way, you pay that whether or not you get the grant. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I got one yesterday saying i owe €28. I was a bit confused as to what it was for.....I applied as a mature student, so back in July i think, I had to pay €100 to accept the course. Then i was told that this €100 covers the €72 payment required at the start of the year.

Now 100 - 72 = 28..........so WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Called into the fees office today. Turns out the €171 is for a summer school I was at in which I got a B2. I wasn't even in Ireland the time of the repeats or my results but somehow I was registered for a repeat. A repeat they wouldn't even be able to hold since the school I was at is in germany. Still waiting for a call to see if I "have" to pay. It's a joke at this stage now. Thanks for the replies! Goodluck tommorow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

The €72 is a Student Union levy, paying for student union capital expenditure(building, boathouse, etc) afaik... And it has to be paid every year, whether you get the grant or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Robo_Mike wrote: »
    The €72 is a Student Union levy, paying for student union capital expenditure(building, boathouse, etc) afaik... And it has to be paid every year, whether you get the grant or not!

I know but i already had that paid so whats the extra €28 for?

Could be worse i suppose, they could be looking for a couple of grand off me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Robo_Mike wrote: »
    The Students' Union does not get this money. It is a levy agreed by referendum, which you will likely be asked to vote to extend for a 4th time some time in the next academic year to improve student facilities.

It has in part or (almost) in full provided the following in various guises over the years:
    • Original Stables Complex
    • Student Centre
    • Arena
    • Boathouse

ninty9er wrote: »
    The Students' Union does not get this money. It is a levy agreed by referendum, which you will likely be asked to vote to extend for a 4th time some time in the next academic year to improve student facilities.

It has in part or (almost) in full provided the following in various guises over the years:
    • Original Stables Complex
    • Student Centre
    • Arena
    • Boathouse

FOUR MORE YEARS! FOUR MORE YEARS! :D

Out of sheer curiosity, what was the "Original Stables Complex" compared to what's there now?

FOUR MORE YEARS! FOUR MORE YEARS! :D

Out of sheer curiosity, what was the "Original Stables Complex" compared to what's there now?

It was the Stables, everything in that courtyard, a bit of what is now Ulster Bank and the Paddocks

It appears the error was that everyone who had paid fees got a letter stating how much they owe, but was actually what they've paid, instead of people who hadn't being billed outsting amounts.

Advertisement