Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Feel like I got skanked, do I have to pay?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

RickRoll wrote: »
    Consumables would be the wipers I presume?

What exactly was the €5 wiper fill?

Water/screen wash for the wipers

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Labour 150
    Consumables(?) 13
    Oil Filter 9
    Oil 24
    So, €150 labour to change the oil filter? That sounds a bit steep to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭questionquick

the_syco wrote: »
    Labour 150
    Consumables(?) 13
    Oil Filter 9
    Oil 24
    150+ 13+ 9+ 24=196 as well.. Not 220?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭questionquick

Labour 150
    Consumables(?) 13
    Oil Filter 9
    Oil 24

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

they're trying to shaft you big time, threaten them with a solicitor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Job Description:
    To carry out full service replacing the engine oil, oil filter and air filter. Check and clean and adjust the brakes front/rear. Check the lights and levels replacing wiper blades as required. Topping up the coolant and washer bottle. Check the suspension and tyres carrying out two punctures, wash and hoover and road test.

This is what first scared the bejaysus out of me, all that work?!? Here's the breakdown of the pricing.

Labour 150
    Consumables(?) 13
    Wiper Refill 5
    taken out after we talked
    Air Filter 17 taken out after we talked
    Oil Filter 9
    Oil 24
    You asked for a simple oil change (plus check source of noise) and they did a full service?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

€196 + vat would probably put it close to €220. Its 3am i'm not doing maths at this hour

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Il go out on a limb here and say you were ripped off to the tune, of around 100 Euro (labour)

What they did takes no more than 1 hour tops. Unless of course they broke something and it took longer.

Still no wiser as to what the 'fuel tank repair' was.

But yes i do believe you were ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,237 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

OP, if you have a friendly guard you could ask to come around with you whilst in uniform I think you'd find yourself getting a much more reasonable bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It kicked off again there, I made a few errors here. 'Wiper Refill' charge is seemingly the changing of the wiper and not the reservoir refill (very embarassing for me:o). No accusations were made but it ended on sour terms and the car is still down there. I left fuming but probably because I just didn't get my way. Am I been out of line? The place has a good reputation so I'm expecting to be told that this is the price I'll have to pay.

RickRoll wrote: »
    Consumables would be the wipers I presume?

What exactly was the €5 wiper fill?
    bfocusd wrote: »
    Water/screen wash for the wipers

Read the posts lads in fairness...

It looks like on their invoice that they have it down as a "full service" not just an oil change. Anyway, if you asked for oil change and that's it you should pay no more than around €80 or there abouts. If you specifically said not to do anything else then they were way out of line. I wouldn't be paying.

• Advertisement

> Double post <

gpf101 wrote: »
    Read the posts lads in fairness...

It looks like on their invoice that they have it down as a "full service" not just an oil change. Anyway, if you asked for oil change and that's it you should pay no more than around €80 or there abouts. If you specifically said not to do anything else then they were way out of line. I wouldn't be paying.

Full service would warrant Plugs too no ? Air Filters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

His response is to change the oil and to check the noise, fixing the leak, road test, etc. When I tried to minimise the labour costs by saying I wanted the labour assigned to the tyres, wipers, suspension test, light tests etc. he said 'sure they take no time at all':rolleyes:
    VAT inclusive
    darokane wrote: »
    they're trying to shaft you big time, threaten them with a solicitor
    I'm really not in a position for that
    Esel wrote: »
    You asked for a simple oil change (plus check source of noise) and they did a full service?
    I asked to check the noise from the engine too, he still claims a full service wasn't done.
    listermint wrote: »
    Il go out on a limb here and say you were ripped off to the tune, of around 100 Euro (labour)

What they did takes no more than 1 hour tops. Unless of course they broke something and it took longer.

Still no wiser as to what the 'fuel tank repair' was.

But yes i do believe you were ripped off.
    Never asked yesterday, forgot to. I will today when I reluctantly pay :(. Also, as mentioned above when I queried the time taken, I got the investigate noise excuse. It's all funny when I think about the first day I queried it to the secretary and other mechanic and they were full of nothing but agreement with me :rolleyes:

Basically, I'm not in any position to bring police or a solicitor, know neither. Need my car desperately. Will go down and have one last chat with him and see if I can get it down to another amount. Pay it, then let him know about the poor service I received after years of no questions asked payment from me and the holding the car ransom is a disgrace in my opinion. A week I haven't had it now. The fact he's been so brazened about the fact that he thought he was 'doing me a good service' trying to make it out that I'm been unreasonable is infuriating. Live and learn, selling the car next month anyway, I just hope bicycle repair shops aren't as stressful as mechanics :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

This garage sound like a pack of assholes to be honest. If i were you i would put an add on gumtree "looking for a garage person for general duties €18 p/h no experience required phone: xxxxxx ask for xxxxx"

They will be bombarded with calls from people, that will learn them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,237 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ah, that'd be a bit unfair on all the poor lads thinking they might have finally found somewhere to do their apprenticeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

If you have to pay I would tell them that it doesn't end here and that you are taking it to the small claims court. That might rattle them a bit and if they don't buckle a bit then I would actually follow through. It only costs 18 euro and I think you have a good case, you could also bring up the fact that they kept your car for a few days as ransom.

Don't let it lie, we are too much of a pushover in this country and that's why cowboys like this exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

RoboRat wrote: »
    Don't let it lie, we are too much of a pushover in this country and that's why cowboys like this exist.

+10. so true, we need to follow through with claims/threats we make about not taking things like this

alexlyons wrote: »
    +10. so true, we need to follow through with claims/threats we make about not taking things like this

After I pay, do I still have a right to get legal? I mean I need my car now today and can't see any other way of getting it released. It's all a shame, myself and my family go back a long way with this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

After I pay, do I still have a right to get legal?.
    Yes just make sure you keep all papework relating to it, if you could get a copy of what they wrote down when you booked it in that would help too but id ask for this before you mention small claims!

Name and SHAME!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

ay ye i don't see why not at all. you need your car and therefore must pay, but its still not right or legal, he has done work you told him not to do and therefore its his mistake and he must pay for it.

the grey area is the labour for the repair.

you really need to find out exactly what was repaired and how it was repaired, and get a second (and third if possible as it will stand better to you) opinion of time taken to carry out the repair. don't worry to much about a second opinion on cost.

the way i see it working is if you take it to the small claims court, you can say to the judge look, i told him not to do any of this, I have two other opinions on what time is involved in doing this, and the judge should put a value on his time and therefore what he should have charged / been paid.

My line of attack would be a complete refund for you, paying for nothing due to the hassle of not having a car due to keeping it ransom, and the expense in time and money to keep going back to the garage to sort it.

Trust me I've seen this outcome before, and got a similar one myself. If you don't ask you don't get, worst that can happen is that they say no you must pay for what should have been done and thats that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

darokane wrote: »
    Name and SHAME!

No naming and shaming.

EPM wrote: »
    No naming and shaming.

:pwas just looking for somewhere to bring the car for a good servicing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

You can still lay claim after you pay as long as you state that you NEED your car and you were being held to ransom.

Keep all documentation and get an evaluation from another garage of the work that needed to be done. Small Claims Court generally side with the plaintiff and I think you have a very good case as they are being very vague about a lot of things.

To be honest, I think the threat of SCC is usually enough to force the hands of companies that are ripping off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

FWIW OP, if you wanted to take it further, you can go through the small claims court given the amounts involved. Its only €18 and you dont need a solicitor.

Right, down I go for one last battle! My plan is to try feebly to reduce it again then after that fails ask for the final bill and breakdown (€220), the original bill and breakdown (€300), the write up when I handed it in (if it existed) and a full breakdown of what the labour consisted of and what exactly was the problem with the leak and what exactly was fixed, all in writing.

After that I'll reluctantly pay saying that it's a shame the way it's ended, car been held ransom etc. I won't mention anything about legal proceedings at the moment because all you lot have heard is my side and I can promise you I haven't left anything out or exaggerated anything (I've kept asking myself have I as it all sounds so ridiculous but I haven't, if anything I've left things out for the sake of anonymity) but this mechanics seems to be very respectable with a good rep and it shocks me that he'd behave like this for the sake of €200. That's why I'll take all documentation to another couple of dealers and ask for their professional advice.

Can't wait to use my new wipers though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

For the love of god, do not pay for work you did not ask for

Tallon wrote: »

he has to pay to get the car returned. he can deal with following up SCC afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

In fairness it did need to be said twice....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

In fairness it did need to be said twice....
    lol, damn boards 403 errors :(

Advertisement