Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conditions in limerick prison

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0117/limerickprison.html
    Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time.

Alternatively: If you treat people like animals, don't be surprised if they act like animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

at least its better than life in limerick on the outside

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

Thats Limerick citaay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Im more alarmed at the amount of hospitals that are dirty and unhygienic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭wintersolstice

they would never put the money they are taking out of hospitals and schools into limerick prison......................would they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

No but they have shampoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Shur god love 'em. Its still cleaner than the rat holes they came from...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Einhard wrote: »
    Alternatively: If you treat people like animals, don't be surprised if they act like animals.

No, No, No...
    This is not the chicken and the egg quandary... They're in there because they broke the law, they're not breaking the law because the prison is sh1t..

We shouldn't worry so much about what life on the inside is like but rather that people don't get sent down for soft crimes like TV license etc..

So what's the solution ??
    Bigger rooms, wider screens, softer bunks, xbox and play station ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

You've got to feel sorry for the prisoners if the conditions in prison are up to scratch. It leads you to question whether it's even worth of bother of murdering somebody anymore :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

^^^WTF???

If people act like animals, threat them like animals.

bbam wrote: »
    No, No, No...
    This is not the chicken and the egg quandary... They're in there because they broke the law, they're not breaking the law because the prison is sh1t..

We shouldn't worry so much about what life on the inside is like but rather that people don't get sent down for soft crimes like TV license etc..

Call me crazy, but I believe that most people have the capacity to change, and prisons should be both a place that punishes people for their crimes, and seeks to rehabilitate them if possible. Rehabilitation, which benefits society in the long run, can't occur if we treat people like animals. Your way would see a prisoner released after ten years with no change in his outlook; my way wouldat least allow the possibility of his having changed his ways. But no, better to wallow in tabloid outrage and the cheap satisfaction that that brings, than actually think about the situation and address it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

if this is the part of the prison where the DANGEROUS prisoners are kept, then fair play. if there are people in those sections for just fines and silly things though :(

Call me crazy, but I believe that most people have the capacity to change, and prisons should be both a place that punishes people for their crimes, and seeks to rehabilitate them if possible. Rehabilitation, which benefits society in the long run, can't occur if we treat people like animals. Your way would see a prisoner released after ten years with no change in his outlook; my way wouldat least allow the possibility of his having changed his ways. But no, better to wallow in tabloid outrage and the cheap satisfaction that that brings, than actually think about the situation and address it.

You're crazy

Guill wrote: »
    ^^^WTF???

If people act like animals, threat them like animals.

Firstly: not all prisoners acted like animals.

Secondly, treating them as such precludes any possibility of positive change. So the prisoner comes out as he came in. How the hell does that benefit anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

F*** 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

"Limerick Prison" is an anagram of:-

"Lick Rim Or Penis"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Ideal conditions for breedin bad ass rappurz that experience'll put words in their mouth fo shiz .. Fire in their bellyz. Nurturing the arts 21st century style

give us some examples of the kinds of people you are talking about here and what they have done to end up in prison.

:mad::mad::cool::pac:
    fedor.2. wrote: »
    You're crazy

woop woop :D:rolleyes::(:eek:

• Advertisement

Secondly, treating them as such precludes any possibility of positive change. So the prisoner comes out as he came in. How the hell does that benefit anybody?

Perhaps if you became a victim of crime whilst on your hug a thug adventures you would have a different attitude

Exactly, they should not come out. Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

No, No, No...

Many are recidivist offenders because they are dehumanised by the system and have little incentives inside or out to live a life within the law.

WindSock wrote: »
    Many are recidivist offenders because they are dehumanised by the system and have little incentives inside or out to live a life within the law.

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows indeed

Perhaps if you became a victim of crime whilst on your hug a thug adventures you would have a different attitude

Perhaps if you actually read my posts and weren't so quick to resort to tabloid exaggeration you might have a different attitude.

Exactly, they should not come out. Agreed.

So...nobody who has ever been imprisoned should ever be released? Right...

Sometimes it seems that the rightwing looney nutjob wing of the Republican party would have a better natural constituency right here on AH than in even the most conservative states in America!

I would have thought that NOT going to a prison where they are treated like animals would be incentive.

Maybe we should raise the standard of the prison so they all have cushy cells with TV and Xbox and great food, maybe even regular parties and sports days, that'll be incentive for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

"Lick Rim Or Penis"

You sir are a modern day prophet.

Exactly, they should not come out. Agreed. :p
    So...nobody who has ever been imprisoned should ever be released? Right...

Fixed my post...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The state still has a duty of care to prisoners AFAIK. It serves the interests of nobody that prisoners be kept in squalor.

If a prisoner gets ill from the conditions then it will fall back on the tax-payer to make him better again adding to the cost of incarceration.

So to the people saying 'let them rot' I say open your wallet and shut your mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

"Lick Rim Or Penis"

i'll take Penis please bob.

I've no sympathy at all for prisoners. of all areas to have funding cut, that should be the first. special needs assistants...teachers....frontline healthcare workers... all being cut back, and we're talking about prisons needing to be cleaner. **** off

Einhard wrote:
    IM0 wrote: »
    give us some examples of the kinds of people you are talking about here and what they have done to end up in prison.

answer this or stfu ;)

The state still has a duty of care to prisoners AFAIK. It serves the interests of nobody that prisoners be kept in squalor.

If a prisoner gets ill from the conditions then it will fall back on the tax-payer to make him better again adding to the cost of incarceration.

So to the people saying 'let them rot' I say open your wallet and shut your mouth.

Awh bless

I would have thought that NOT going to a prison where they are treated like animals would be incentive.

Maybe we should raise the standard of the prison so they all have cushy cells with TV and Xbox and great food, maybe even regular parties and sports days, that'll be incentive for them.

Yeah prison is so cushy you see people literally queuing up to get in. I see chaps all the time committing crimes, waiting for the fuzz to show up and plead guilty in court. Can't get in there quick or often enough they can't.

The sad thing about your attitude is that, even were conclusive evidence produced linking rehabilitation to reduced recidivism and thus reduced crime rates, it likely wouldn't change. You'd prefer to make prisons as hellish as possible rather than see improvements in recidivism rates through improvements in conditions.

• Advertisement

I think your tag says all that needs to be said about this post: Stupid post is stupid.

The sad thing about your attitude is that, even were conclusive evidence produced linking rehabilitation to reduced recidivism and thus reduced crime rates, it likely wouldn't change. You'd prefer to make prisons as hellish as possible rather than see improvements in recidivism rates through improvements in conditions.

Ill read that evidence if you have it handy, no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Or we could have if you prefer chain gangs/hard labour/birching .

But why go from one extreme to the other ? Is it too much to expect that a prison cell should be clean and dry with fresh air and proper toilet facilities ?

Yeah prison is so cushy you see people literally queuing up to get in. I see chaps all the time committing crimes, waiting for the fuzz to show up and plead guilty in court. Can't get in there quick or often enough they can't.

What are you, 16? ''the fuzz'' :rolleyes:

answer this or stfu ;)

I'm talking about the empirical studies which show that some forms of rehabiliation in prisons reduces the incidence of prisoners resorting to crime once released. There are ample studies which back this up. If you're really interested in the topic, do a google search.

I'm not stating that prisons should be places of luxury. Indeed, I wrote that they should be places of punishment. But refusing to even attempt to rehabilitate people when we have the chance is idiotic. Why wouldn't we want to reduce crime rates?

• Advertisement

Ill read that evidence if you have it handy, no bother

Yeah I have it handy...google it. How much more handy could it be? There's loads out there.

I'm talking about the empirical studies which show that some forms of rehabiliation in prisons reduces the incidence of prisoners resorting to crime once released. There are ample studies which back this up. If you're really interested in the topic, do a google search.

I'm not stating that prisons should be places of luxury. Indeed, I wrote that they should be places of punishment. But refusing to even attempt to rehabilitate people when we have the chance is idiotic. Why wouldn't we want to reduce crime rates?

Why didnt you just say that in the first place

Meaning what?
    What are you, 16? ''the fuzz'' :rolleyes:

Meaning what?

I didn't realise using slang terms were that juvenile...

Thanks for letting me know and making your argument in this thread more robust.

Yeah I have it handy...google it. How much more handy could it be? There's loads out there.

I want the ones you've read to be honest, i want to see where you're coming from

Meaning what?

Meaning what?

I didn't realise using slang terms were that juvenile...

Thanks for letting me know and making your argument in this thread more robust.

No worries kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

No, No, No...

What!? Fixing broken windows that fill the cells with rain and giving them a lick of paint, maybe improving the hygiene is the solution to this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I like how they still have to slop out in most Irish prisons. Im pretty sure this is something most of the Irish public are un aware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Shocking to think that their perfect gentleman like conduct, landed them in the midst of such a mire. How could this have happened?...Oh the injustice of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

He's obviously talking about the ones with neck tattoo's.

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I like how they still have to slop out in most Irish prisons. Im pretty sure this is something most of the Irish public are un aware of.

Dont think it would bother most people to be honest

• Advertisement
Advertisement