Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom Phonewatch and UPC switch

• 17-01-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I have eircom phone watch monitored wired alarm. It was installed in 1995. I want to move to UPC for phone and broadband but am told that I need to replace the control panel along with a GMS link to maintain the service when I disconnect my phoneline. The cost is €459.

Can I get a monitored alarm through my UPC or something similiar?

Any ideas or experience here.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its lies , an alarm can be monitored no problem over a UPC line. Furthermore offering GSM as an alternative, without informing you of the risks of jamming, is very bad advice.
    Take a lok at this thread for more information.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056490337
    Also remember any licenced company can monitor your alarm. You have no reason to be forced into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 burnsie1

Thanks for that. To be honest the conversion looks easy but I kind of got lost after wiring it up. Might need an electrician here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭altor

burnsie1 wrote: »
    I have eircom phone watch monitored wired alarm. It was installed in 1995. I want to move to UPC for phone and broadband but am told that I need to replace the control panel along with a GMS link to maintain the service when I disconnect my phoneline. The cost is €459.

Can I get a monitored alarm through my UPC or something similiar?

Any ideas or experience here.

What system have you installed ?

It is a wired system from 1995!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What's the make/model?

• Advertisement

It was installed by phonewatch in 1995. It was manufactured by Scopetronics Europlex Technologies. There are no model numbers on it.

You can get any licensed company to monitor this for you. You could also connect a generic voice dialer to self monitor.

Thanks. I assume I just need to wire in the UPC phone

Yes. As described in the other thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭altor

burnsie1 wrote: »
    Thanks. I assume I just need to wire in the UPC phone

If you want to do like other people have done and prove P.W wrong, wire in the UPC to the alarm, then activate the alarm. Post back up your results for us all to see :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement