Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to University through the HEAR scheme

Options
  • 17-01-2012 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I done the leaving cert last year and I remember that some people had delusions about what the HEAR scheme could do for them.

Some people thought that they were Guaranteed to get into their course with the HEAR scheme, some thought that once they got 300 points they would get in.

So I thought I would put up some basic information. I was originally only going to say about the points but I ended adding a bit more.

The Higher Education access route is for school leavers from a disadvantaged background.

The bassis on which you will be accessed are:

1. Income - Did your familys income fall bellow the set level during the Year Ended 31 December 2010

2. Medical Card - Did you hold a medical card or a GP visit card on 31 December 2011

3. Social Welfare Payments - Has your family received a means tested social welfare payment during 2010 (Minimum of 26 weeks)

4. Socio-economic Group - Do you belong to a group that is under-represented in higher education based on the occupation and employment status of your parent(s) or guardian(s). At the moment the group includes non-manual workers; semi & unskilled manual workers and agricultural workers.

5. School - For the past 5 years have you attended a DEIS school.

6. Do you live in an area that is considered disadvantaged. Eg high crime and unemployment levels.

You must meet a certain combination of conditions to be considered for HEAR.

You must meet :

Indicator 1 plus 2 plus either 4 or 5 or 6
    Indicator 1 plus 3 plus either 4 or 5 or 6
    Indicator 1 plus 4 plus either 5 or 6
    Indicator 1 plus 5 plus 6

You can apply online via the CAO before March 1st at 17:15, but you must apply for the CAO prior to February 1 at 17:15.

The full list of colleges that participate is available here http://www.accesscollege.ie/hear/participate.php

What Can the HEAR Scheme do for me?

Reduced Points: - you can compete for your chosen course on a reduced points basis. This does not mean that there is a set level of points for your course, or that you are guranteed to get in, instead you will be competing with other students who also qualify for the HEAR scheme.

You must get a minimum of 300 points and you must meet the matriculation requirements (eg Orginary C3 in Maths or Higher D3, English, Irish etc etc)

If you are the only person who qualified for the HEAR scheme who applied for that course then you will have no one to compete against and so if you get over 300 points and meet the requirements then you will get the place (even if the course was 550 points).
    However, the average person will get a points reduction of 15-30 points.

You are not guaranteed a points reduction.

The following supports are not available at all colleges.

*Orientation programmes to introduce students to university or college

*Advice about grants and Scholarships.

*Extra tuition if needed

*One-to-one meetings with student advisors,

*Social Gatherings

*Mentoring

*Bursaries when available.(Money)

*Help with study skills and exam preparation

Speaking about Maynooth in Particular being a HEAR student is a great advantage. During the orientation you find out about a lot of things that other wise you would have had to find out for yourself. You get to know your way around campus and you meet some really good new friends.

Once you are started they offer great support. If you are having any problems (personal or academic) you can always just drop into the access office and they would be happy to help if it is at all possible for them to do so. Its also really easy to talk to them, they are really understanding.

They give you financial support this year they gave a €200 book voucher and €800. (The amounts can change slightly)

I think that's pretty much it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Great post!

And for anyone applying through HEAR or DARE, there is no need to be embarrassed about it! I've noticed that some people have said they feel there is a stigma attached to it, and that they will be treated differently. Seriously, you will not. There is no shame whatsoever in getting into college through either scheme, if anything you should be proud of it! They are there to help people go to college who may not be able to attend due to financial or other constraints.

I met some of my best friends through the orientation week, and I definitely wouldn't have made it through college to got my degree if it weren't for the help of the access office. So don't cut yourself off from supports for fear of how others may react.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Yes no one will think any different about you at all.

Also no one will know that you got in through the HEAR or DEAR schemes unless you tell them. None of the lecturers or other students will know how you got in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

This is some great info. Might be worth reposting it in the Leaving Cert forum as well?

Reposted in LC fourm. Quoted Your Text Here's post in it.

GarIT wrote: »
    Does anyone know the chances of qualifying for number 4, the socio-economic group? I qualify for 1, 2 and 3 but im not sure about 4 and I don't qualify for 5 or 6.

That depends on your parents occupations. Its not just a lucky draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 In_Fairness

If only one of your parents is a member of the target groups do you still meet indicator 4?

Advertisement