Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science (Maths/physics)

Options
  • 17-01-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Im hoping to do science in UCD next year and go straight into the maths/Physics side. What i was wondering is if i get to choose which courses exactly i want to do in my first year. I mean if i didnt want to do astronomy or geology(which is listed in the maths/physics courses) would i have to do them? Am i required to sample everything in first year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I think you're actually looking at that wrong. It's showing you pathways for years 2,3&4 and they are all separate degrees, not modules. Physics & maths isn't one degree together, you pick either or. In first year you will have a choice by the looks of it, but you still might have to do some modules during your course that maybe you wont like, but that happens to us all. Make sure you don't let modules you may not like put you off though, it's part of life, and usually they are related in some way & might come in useful later even if you don't think so at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Muir wrote: »
    I think you're actually looking at that wrong. It's showing you pathways for years 2,3&4 and they are all separate degrees, not modules. Physics & maths isn't one degree together, you pick either or.

Not exactly, you can have a double honours degree in Maths and Physics if you wanted to. You have to consult the relevant schools first.

Most of the time, people who are interested in both math AND physics, and want a degree in which these disciplined are very interlinked, usually go on to pursue a BSc in either "Theoretical Physics", "Applied and Computational Mathematics" or "Mathematical Sciences".
    In first year you will have a choice by the looks of it, but you still might have to do some modules during your course that maybe you wont like, but that happens to us all.

Not really the case either. There is a wide choice you can take within the science scream. The OP doesn't need to choose geology or the astronomy and space science modules if she/he doesn't want to. In fact, if he/she is more interested in Maths/Physics, then he/she would probably be taking ACM, MATH and other PHYC modules. Astronomy/Astrophysics modules aren't compulsory for those who do not wish to pursue a degree in "Physics with Astonomy and Space Science".

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I see, they don't really make that obvious in the prospectus.

I didn't just mean specifically astronomy or whatever, just in general, I'm sure most people in college have had at least one core module they disliked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I see, they don't really make that obvious in the prospectus.

I didn't just mean specifically astronomy or whatever, just in general, I'm sure most people in college have had at least one core module they disliked.

Well naturally, but the OP won't really need to take in modules from other disciples, say geology, if he/she doesn't want to do it as option modules. There is still quite a broad range of choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fhfm

Thanks for the help guys

• Advertisement
Advertisement