Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of Airports in ireland

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

From todays paper, contingent on a business plan I'd say and subject to no more subsidies ever...together with a windfall clawback clause.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/no-more-kicking-can-on-shannon-3002529.html
    Transport Minister Leo Varadkar said Shannon Airport's €100m debt would be either reduced substantially or written off completely to enable the airport to have a future.

Mr Varadkar claimed he would give the beleaguered airport "certainty" by Easter. Shannon owes €100m to the state-owned Dublin Airport Authority. "No matter what happens, there will be no more temporary arrangements and no more kicking the can down the road," Mr Varadkar said.

This journalist, is a moron :D

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/local-news/4129-future-of-shannon-to-be-known-by-easter.html
    The results of the Booze Report on the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

EIWF could have done so much better if on the north bank of the Suir, such as east of Mooncoin between the N24 and the rail line where the terrain looks reasonable.

But then it would have been in a different county so GAA jerseyites would have been distraught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

dowlingm wrote: »
    EIWF could have done so much better if on the north bank of the Suir, such as east of Mooncoin between the N24 and the rail line where the terrain looks reasonable.

But then it would have been in a different county so GAA jerseyites would have been distraught.

I think that situation is improved now given the very good road that was built linking the M9 with the new bridge to the airport road in Waterford. Its a very quick and easy drive now.

Trotter wrote: »
    Its a very quick and easy drive now.

And Dub Airport is 2 Hours away.
    Oh http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66591630#post66591630

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Sponge Bob wrote: »

I have yet to meet someone who lives 2 hours away from an airport being happy about that. I may be wrong though!
    I don't expect to be flying Waterford to New York any day soon but looking at the chart earlier in the thread, its clear that theres one large section of the country without the kind of access to a jet aircraft enabled runway that would make european flights viable.

I dont expect anyone who does live in Dublin, Cork, or close to Shannon or Knock to agree with me anyway. We have the population numbers for an airport in the south east with UK/European flights but we won't get any help from the Cork or Dublin direction. Thats why I hope it becomes an airport thats even more secure without the input of government. Waterford is a gateway city in the national spacial strategy I believe so that airport is viable.

I am two hours from Shannon and Knock in rush hour traffic. I don't expect jets into Galway ...never did.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I have yet to meet someone who lives 2 hours away from an airport being happy about that. I may be wrong though!

So, what? Surely they are happier than people who live 3 hours plus from one?

I don't expect to be flying Waterford to New York any day soon but looking at the chart earlier in the thread, its clear that theres one large section of the country without the kind of access to a jet aircraft enabled runway that would make european flights viable.

The map shows an oversuply in the west half of the country which has made all of the westren airports less viable.... And you want to do the same for the south of the country?
    I dont expect anyone who does live in Dublin, Cork, or close to Shannon or Knock to agree with me anyway. We have the population numbers for an airport in the south east with UK/European flights but we won't get any help from the Cork or Dublin direction. Thats why I hope it becomes an airport thats even more secure without the input of government. Waterford is a gateway city in the national spacial strategy I believe so that airport is viable.

The national spacial strategy is a polical mess of a document -- it is of little real value.

Whay population numbers do you have and what do you think is the min numbers for an airport with services to the UK and The rest of Europe?

Btw deal with the facts and forget who lives where.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Is there any case to be made for selling off Shannon Airport to Ryan Air? Or to any other party for that matter, that may be interested. Anyone think that Ryan Air would be interested?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Michael O 'Leary has stated they are not in the airport business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Current plan is to sell AerRiannta to pay off Shannon's debts and then give it a more autonomous structure within state ownership or part owned by local groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Current plan is to sell AerRiannta to pay off Shannon's debts and then give it a more autonomous structure within state ownership or part owned by local groups.
    I thought that was the plan for ORK a few years back and then suddenly no, ORK has to keep its debt and the thumb of the DAA firmly on it?

In any case, I don't love the idea of SNN in "community ownership". It's an ETOPS24 airport, it should be operated (note leased not owned) by a serious player (not Ferrovial, we don't want SNN closed because they scrimped on weather gear). Such a player might for instance contemplate staying open on 25 December...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭serfboard

Galway Airport making another attempt to keep itself relevant.
    Galway Airport has handled over 150 flights in the past number of months, including a charter of high-level SAP executives for last week’s jobs announcement.

Despite the scaling-down of services at the airport earlier this year, the Galway Independent can reveal that demand for flights through the airport has continued for both business and leisure purposes.

In addition to SAP Galway and other local multinational companies, Galway Airport has also facilitated a number of flights for meetings in relation to next month’s Volvo Ocean Race Finale and Michael Coyle of Galway Chamber has said that there is a still a key role for the Carnmore airstrip to play.

“Galway Airport is still very much open for business, as can be seen by the number of flights that can still coming through. We would have a small number every week, whether it is for business such as the SAP executives last week, leisure visitors coming in on golf trips or medical flights.

Then comes the reality bit ...
    “While it wasn’t really working as a commercial airport due to the proximity to Knock and Shannon and the development of road infrastructure, the last few months have shown that there is a function there that it can provide.”

... and some history ...
    Nine staff were laid-off from Galway Airport in February following a steady decline in business and the withdrawal of commercial flights by Aer Arann last year.

A last-gasp agreement with Bank of Ireland has kept the airport in business until now and PricewaterhouseCoopers were engaged earlier this year with a view to securing an investor for the airport.

At present, Galway Airport is operating on a 9am to 5pm basis from Monday to Friday but Mr Coyle said that the recent expansion of multinational business in Galway demonstrated serious potential for the facility. [...]

Acting General Manager of Galway Airport John Madden said there was still an enduring demand for the airport’s services, particularly within the business sector.

“The recent expansions of SAP and Cisco and the resulting creation of new jobs in Galway has been welcome news for the whole area and having an airport is a key factor in a lot of these decisions.

... and finally, a bit of hyperbole ...
    “The multinational companies are using Galway Airport quite frequently and it is imperative that it survives and continues to service the multinationals giving them access to Galway because without it, it just doesn’t bear thinking about it.”
    [/QUOTE] link

You mean it doesn't bear thinking about the fact that you won't have a job?

Finish the M18 (Gort->Athenry) and Shannon will be no further in transport time from Galway than most cities are from their airports.

Fine, keep your little airporteen for your charters - just don't come looking for my taxes to subsidise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,686 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The whole "airstrip big enough for a small bizjet" being important for trade isn't deniable; its why Donegal was built - the commercial flights only happened because it was there.

The need for the infrastructure and staff that go with one the size of Galway, however, is...

Advertisement