Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sonnen V Bisping Jan 28th

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Bisping ko/tko win
    pauldoo wrote: »
    I thought the commentry was poor, rogan and goldie especially were trying to make the fights sound a lot more interesting that they really were. The whole fox thing is a nightmare, full of adds and american type hype

The only way to watch it is to Sky Plus it and then watch it on Sunday morning, it's unwatchable live due to ad breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Bisping ko/tko win
    Sonnen won but it was a close fight-no rip offs at all

if it had gone the other way i would say the same thing, it was not decisive and to me Chael had done just enough, after the fight i was not definite who won, that say's enough for me that it was close.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭p to the e

Sonnen submission win
    Did anyone see the Joey Beltran knockout? I've never seen a guy get knocked out on his feet and continue to stand there for another five seconds before falling. Looked like he was Mexicuted!
    The Nik Lentz vs Evan Dunham fight definitely deserved fight of the night. Some solid grappling and stand up action.
    I can see John Olav Einimo being cut after this loss which is a shame because I have a soft spot for the guy but that was a big win for Russow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I was hoping Bisping would win. I dont like the guy, he comes across badly almost every time he speaks, but I do like to watch him fight. I think he can bang, he can also be beaten, but in fairness to the guy he goes for it. Silva would destroy him so I'm not sad to miss that fight, but Sonnen . . . meh. Wasn't impressed in any way in this fight.

The interview after wasn't funny and made him look like a fool (I'm not a fanboy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Bisping ko/tko win
    I think people are misusing the term "robbed" here. So one judge gave it 30-27, so what? it was a unanimous decision was it not? So what does one judge's opinion matter in the context of thedecision? Nothing in this case.

In my opinion, Sonnen did enough to win the fight. I gave it 29-28 to Chael. Bisping really didn't do anything decisive during the fight so there isn't much argument for him winning it other than "He held Chael up against the cage" etc.

On another topic, I really wish Gateth A. Dickface would be more professional and stop with his HUGE Bisping and UK fighter bias. Yes, I can understand he might be a little biased but come on, he goes on like a bad loser every time a British fighter loses a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

By Mark Wayne | January 29, 2012
    Source: F4WOnline
    What was in the water last night in Chicago?

It was reported by UFC president Dana White shortly following the UFC on Fox 2: Evans vs. Davis event had concluded that Chris Weidman, who stepped up on short notice to take on Demian Maia on the night's main card, had not beaten Maia by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27), as was initially announced by Bruce Buffer, but had actually defeated the Brazilian by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27).

This morning, F4WOnline reports that the Weidman-Maia decision wasn't the only judges' decision to be rendered or read incorrectly, as apparently there was an error in getting across the correct result of the night's co-main event, which pitted middleweights Chael Sonnen and Michael Bisping against one another.

Originally and controversially read as a unanimous decision in Sonnen's favor, with scores of 30-27, 29-28, and 29-28 all going for the Oregonian. As it's being reported, the actual scorecards show a different story, one that much better reflects what happened in the fight. According to F4WOnline, two judges gave rounds one and three to Sonnen, with Bisping taking the second, while the third judge scored it unanimously for Bisping.

This throws up an even greater judging error... What judge was smoking crack when he scored the 3rd round for Bisping????
    MrStuffins wrote: »

Gareth A. Dickface
    I lol'd! You're on the money about that tosser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Sonnen submission win

On another topic, I really wish Gateth A. Dickface would be more professional and stop with his HUGE Bisping and UK fighter bias. Yes, I can understand he might be a little biased but come on, he goes on like a bad loser every time a British fighter loses a decision.
    I hate that guy, he is always going on about bisping.

Bisping ko/tko win
    Originally and controversially read as a unanimous decision in Sonnen's favor, with scores of 30-27, 29-28, and 29-28 all going for the Oregonian. As it's being reported, the actual scorecards show a different story, one that much better reflects what happened in the fight. According to F4WOnline, two judges gave rounds one and three to Sonnen, with Bisping taking the second, while the third judge scored it unanimously for Bisping.

Now, if this REALLY is the case then 30-27 to Bisping is a bigger joke than 30-27 to Sonnen. There's no way Bisping won that last round

Now, if this REALLY is the case then 30-27 to Bisping is a bigger joke than 30-27 to Sonnen. There's no way Bisping won that last round

The judging is really beyond a farce at this stage if a guy gives a round to a fighter who spent about 4 of the 5 mins on his back, gave up his back and got mounted.. Are these guys even watching the fight? How bad does it have to get before something is done?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Bisping ko/tko win
    My blog for the night, thanks for the idea for it. Short, sweet and mmmm omnyomynom http://www.setanta.com/ie/Blogs/Tom-Murphy/2012/January/Steak-And-Eggs/

Bisping ko/tko win
    Just gave your blog a quick read there Dev.

I agree with the event, it ended up being a horrible night of fights. Jones seemed so uncomfortable presenting (and reading from his sheet). He must've learned his media skills from Tito Ortiz. Randy was aweosme as always though.

I understand Fox need to have a recognised presenter fronting their shows (I presume he's a recognised presenter) but the show was crying out for Jon Anik and Kenny Florian or Ariel Helwani. Or all 3.

Anyone but Gus Johnson!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Bisping ko/tko win
    Have to say, I don't think I'll be watching events live if they're all gonna be in the FOX format from now on. It's atrocious.

I know there was some bother with ESPN, but will the majority of events going forward follow the old, uninterrupted format?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Bisping decision win
    Am I the only one who wasn't really bothered with the FOX presentation? I've watched enough American football, baseball and ice hockey to know that's how American sport is done - personally I find it very slick, fast paced, easy on the eye. I thought it added polish to the whole UFC package, which to be honest is quite stale. We've been spoiled by ad free pay per views tbh, so putting up with FOX isn't that big a deal, but I can understand people's annoyance with it when all they're used to is Pay Per Views.

That being said, don't ever, EVER have Jon Jones on the show again. Dear god he was so nervous and just not suited to the role at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Roar wrote: »
    Am I the only one who wasn't really bothered with the FOX presentation? I've watched enough American football, baseball and ice hockey to know that's how American sport is done - personally I find it very slick, fast paced, easy on the eye. I thought it added polish to the whole UFC package, which to be honest is quite stale. We've been spoiled by ad free pay per views tbh, so putting up with FOX isn't that big a deal, but I can understand people's annoyance with it when all they're used to is Pay Per Views.

It was absolutely atrocious from a fight sport stand point. I've never liked the way Fox broadcast sport. Why go to a break in between rounds? It shows an important factor in fights. You get to see the condition of the fighter an insight to what their corner thinks. Why go to a break during the walk ins? Watching them walk in and getting an overview of the fighter from the commentators sets the tone. And worst of all, why go to a break before the decisions? It's such a waste of time and slows down the night.

What annoyed me was that it was a 3 hour card starting at 1am. It was nice to have an early start and I assume they would show prelim fights in the extra time. After all, 3 hours for 3 fights is more than enough time, even if they go the distance. Dana White said in an interview that there would be more fights and less talking. Just another lie from White.

I won't be staying up to watch Fox events in the future.

Bisping decision win
    american TV is all about getting as much advertising in as possible, hence the breaks between rounds, before decisions etc. They have to maximise their advertising revenue, and advertising in between rounds is a very effective way of doing that - you're not going to change channel for 40-60 seconds in between rounds while they go to commercial.

As I say it doesn't bother me at all as I'm accustomed to it. It's a small price to pay for free fights IMO

• Advertisement

Dear god, the robots fighting at the start of the broadcast..:( I knew it would be a downhill slide from there!
    american TV is all about getting as much advertising in as possible, hence the breaks between rounds, before decisions etc. They have to maximise their advertising revenue, and advertising in between rounds is a very effective way of doing that - you're not going to change channel for 40-60 seconds in between rounds while they go to commercial.

As I say it doesn't bother me at all as I'm accustomed to it. It's a small price to pay for free fights IMO

This is very true, just tough for hardcore fans to let go of what made the organisation great and see FOX hacks bungle around and fcuk it up. I can see from a corporate standpoint they are doing exactly what they should be doing. Anyhow, we still have a lot of PPV's that will remain to a large extent in the old format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

I'm aware of the reasoning behind it but it's still awful. The constant breaks and in studio analysis take away from the momentum of a fight night. I'm all for free fights but that format will not keep me up at night to watch them. I prefer the PPV format. As you pointed out though, it comes with the territory, they need to make up for lost sales and need to advertise.

The whole point of the fox cards are to attract more fans. I know they will attract alot more due to this venture. I'd just prefer if they showed more fights. They had a 3 hour slot and only managed 3 fights. There were much more exciting fights on the prelim card. Why not show them rather than listen to Couture and Jones analyse fights.

Bisping ko/tko win
    CageWager wrote: »
    Dear god, the robots fighting at the start of the broadcast..:( I knew it would be a downhill slide from there!

Was it just me who thought the fighting robots were awesome? :o

Bisping decision win
    I'm sure American fans were glad to get the event for free with ads instead of shelling out 50 bucks or whatever it is for a normal PPV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Bisping submission win
    DeVore wrote: »
    My blog for the night, thanks for the idea for it. Short, sweet and mmmm omnyomynom http://www.setanta.com/ie/Blogs/Tom-Murphy/2012/January/Steak-And-Eggs/

Nice one, i think that about summed it up when Steak and Eggs are more interestin than a fight you been lookin forward to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Sonnen submission win
    CageWager wrote: »
    This is very true, just tough for hardcore fans to let go of what made the organisation great and see FOX hacks bungle around and fcuk it up. I can see from a corporate standpoint they are doing exactly what they should be doing. Anyhow, we still have a lot of PPV's that will remain to a large extent in the old format.
    The free fightnights that they showed on Spike in the US were pretty much exactly the same format except they played generic metal music instead of the fox sports music. The only difference is the extra table with the guest announcers but i dont think it makes a massive difference probably just puts the brodcast inline with other sports that are broadcast on Fox/Network TV.

They always had commercials between rounds on the free cards.

Plus who doesnt like robots? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We've been spoiled by ad free pay per views tbh,
    We're not spoiled, that's the way it should be done. If anything the Americans have been shafted by their TV.

Advertisement