Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian 457 Visa megathread (sponsorship)

Options
  • 28-09-2011 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Just curious if I applied for a 457 tomorrow how long would it be before I am allowed to go to aus/nz.

Presume I have had a job offer.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Please do a search on the forum, a lots of discussions around 457.

Can take between 2 days and 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It depends, have the company been approved for standard business sponsorship? Has your nomination been approved? If not the process will be lengthened, worry about gettign a job offer and not the time it wil take

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

It is as much about the documentation that you need to provide as opposed to the actually application.

Do you have a family, are you single? All this will be a factor but typically it can take up to 2 Months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Brown Trout

My 457 visa including my girlfriend as a defacto took 3 weeks to come through once I had all the necessary paperwork submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dclewis

My wife has a job with Harvey normans. So she can get a transfer. I will be hoping to go on her visa. It will be just the 2 of us. We want to go in march, would we be better starting the application process before or after christmas

• Advertisement

Definitely before, why would you wait? There isn't a time limit on it or anything.
    If you start in Janurary there is a real chance that it won't be approved before march, even if it is then you are booking last minute flights

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

dclewis,

just wondering how you got on? hoping to be in a similar situation soon

Firstly I would just like to say that I have read through all the posts and I'm sorry if I have missed the answer to the questions I'm asking.

I will be graduating in May this year with a Civil Engineering degree and I have a company that will possibly sponsor me on the 457 visa.

My questions are the following:

Do I need to have a certain amount of experience in my field or can I be a recent graduate? I have read in a few places that the potential employee needs to have relevant experience but I cant see anywhere that puts a number on it. I have 6 months experience over the last 2 years.

Also, I will potentially be getting this sponsorship as a friend of mine who works for the company is vouching for me. He got sponsored last year. Because he got sponsored only last year I know that the company is an approved standard business sponsor. Does this mean that they can completely skip step 1 which is "Employer applies to be a sponsor" and move on to step 2 which is "Employer nominates a position".

I should also mention that I used my WHV a good few years ago. As well as that I will be hoping to get my fiancee defacto on my visa. I have plenty of evidence to prove that we've been together for years.

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Happy reading

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/eligibility-employee.htm#e

Basically you need to do a skills assessment

thanks for the reply zambia but i think that the skills assesment is more for trades such as carpenters and electricians. maybe i'm wrong:confused:

• Advertisement

You will need to prove you are qualified in what you are being sponsored for.

On the FAQ there is as link to a guide to bodies who assess your skills.

memaul wrote: »
    thanks for the reply zambia but i think that the skills assesment is more for trades such as carpenters and electricians. maybe i'm wrong:confused:
    What line of work are you in? The skills depend on that, e.g. IT cv and references are usually good enough

have skills, qualifications, experience and an employment background which match those required for the position

Skills assessment

Australia requires visa applicants to have the skills required for their nominated positions. Where necessary for safety or to prevent fraud, Australia will undertake more extensive skills assessments to confirm skills claimed by applicants.
    Australia requires formal skills assessments of some trade occupations. This arrangement commenced on 1 July 2009 and will be extended as capacities are increased.
    More information on this new skills assessment process is available on the Trades Recognition Australia website
    thanks for the replys folks, i got the above from the governments website,

i'm still fairly confused as i cant find anything that nails down exactly whats needed. wouldn't the fact that i'll have a degree prove that i would have the skills required. with regards the experience i will only have 6 months spread out over 2 years. as far as i can see the skills assesment is for trades only and i dont see anything for assessing civil engineers.

Its like applying for a job you basically have to prove your skills with degrees past work exp etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

thanks for the replys folks, i got the above from the governments website,

i'm still fairly confused as i cant find anything that nails down exactly whats needed. wouldn't the fact that i'll have a degree prove that i would have the skills required. with regards the experience i will only have 6 months spread out over 2 years. as far as i can see the skills assesment is for trades only and i dont see anything for assessing civil engineers.

If you are an Engineer then EA is where you should be looking.

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/about-us/migration-skills-assessment

The skills assessment will determine whether you have the skills required, a degree is only a piece of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 John Vevers

Hi,

In most instances you will only be required to undertake a skills assessment if you are either A) applying for General Skilled Migration or B) you are applying for a 457 and nominating a specific role, and you are from a particular country.

From memory, engineering roles do NOT require a skill assessments for 457 Visa applications. In order to satisfy the Department, you will generally have to demonstrate a qualification related to the nominated role, as well as three (3) years work experience.

In order to sponsor you, the Employer / SBS-holder must firstly nominate you in the role and then you would need to apply for the visa. Two stages, provided the SBS is still valid.

I hope this helps,

John

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Hi,

In most instances you will only be required to undertake a skills assessment if you are either A) applying for General Skilled Migration or B) you are applying for a 457 and nominating a specific role, and you are from a particular country.

From memory, engineering roles do NOT require a skill assessments for 457 Visa applications. In order to satisfy the Department, you will generally have to demonstrate a qualification related to the nominated role, as well as three (3) years work experience.

In order to sponsor you, the Employer / SBS-holder must firstly nominate you in the role and then you would need to apply for the visa. Two stages, provided the SBS is still valid.

I hope this helps,

John (MARN 1067816)

Am I right in saying that the time spent in college counts as experience in this instance?

s.c wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that the time spent in college counts as experience in this instance?
    Work experience yes, but college in general nope

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

hussey wrote: »
    Work experience yes, but college in general nope

Just wondering as when I got sponsored (Civil Engineer), I had a total of about 18 months work experience. 4 x 3months(summer work) + 6 months with the company that sponsored me and I did not need to get a skills assessment.

s.c wrote: »

Hi,

Work experience undertaken during your time at college can certainly count towards the three year requirement.

John

• Advertisement

thanks for all the replies people

Hi,

Work experience undertaken during your time at college can certainly count towards the three year requirement.

John

Hi John,

Can you tell me if they are strict on the three years experience. Also if they are strict, is there any other options for me. I will only have 6 months experience but will have a company who is willing to sponsor me.

Thanks

Hi there,

The actual 457 Visa Application requires applicants to provide details of 'employment over the past three years'.

I have reviewed the Regulations and found that the Department must only be satisfied that the applicant has the relevant skills and experiences (makes no mention of 'three years').

In light of this, perhaps you may be eligible to apply for a 457 without having a full three years work experience provided you have the 'skills' and some 'experience' over the past three years.

In a way, it is open to interpretation - you must remember however that with experience may come varying pay levels and awards. Some applicants who have minimal years experience may not qualify for the TSMIT and, therefore, although skilled enough to do the job, will not meet the Department's salary criteria and therefore not be elgibile for a 457.

Perhaps a suggestion to you would be to gain further employment overseas in order to a) fulfil the 'experience' requirement and b) ensure you meet the TSMIT and Market Salary Rates component of the 457 process.

John

Hi there,

The actual 457 Visa Application requires applicants to provide details of 'employment over the past three years'.

I have reviewed the Regulations and found that the Department must only be satisfied that the applicant has the relevant skills and experiences (makes no mention of 'three years').

In light of this, perhaps you may be eligible to apply for a 457 without having a full three years work experience provided you have the 'skills' and some 'experience' over the past three years.

In a way, it is open to interpretation - you must remember however that with experience may come varying pay levels and awards. Some applicants who have minimal years experience may not qualify for the TSMIT and, therefore, although skilled enough to do the job, will not meet the Department's salary criteria and therefore not be elgibile for a 457.

Perhaps a suggestion to you would be to gain further employment overseas in order to a) fulfil the 'experience' requirement and b) ensure you meet the TSMIT and Market Salary Rates component of the 457 process.

John

thanks very much john for looking into it, and thanks to everyone else for their replies

Also, I will potentially be getting this sponsorship as a friend of mine who works for the company is vouching for me. He got sponsored last year. Because he got sponsored only last year I know that the company is an approved standard business sponsor. Does this mean that they can completely skip step 1 which is "Employer applies to be a sponsor" and move on to step 2 which is "Employer nominates a position".
    This was touched on above but just to clarify.
    The SBS approval is time-limited, so it may have run out in the time between his applyign and your applying. If he was the first person they sponsored, then the SBS would still be valid, but if they sponsored other it may have run out.
    It should make a difference really, all 3 steps can be lodged together. If it has run out then it will only add a small bit of time to processing, if at all.

Mod Guys we have a Skilled Migration megathread .. can we keep GSM questions there rather than a 457 thread?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76575109

Mod Okay it seems like every day people are asking a few simple questions: Can I get sponsored and How can I start this process.

I'm going to merge a few recent 457 threads to here. Hopefully will be a central location for questions.

The first place to look for info is obviously here
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭zuzuzu

hey there, sorry for butting into the topic but just a small question to put my mind at ease, Been working in my position as a Project Engineer with a company for four month now and they have said they'll sponsor me on a 457 visa and have new contract signed off.

Going through the paper work at the moment and in regards to qualification I have a two year Higher certificate in Civil Engineering and was just wondering what would i class this as an equivalent over here.... I have five years experience in my position plus numerous courses completed with the company since i started with them so i think the process should be fine....

Just anxious that if i don't rate my qualification high enough it could be rejected and if i rate it too high i could be cancelled for providing false information. Need a bit of advice to put my nerves at rest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I am expecting an offer of a job which will be on a 457 visa. Do I need a skills assessment on this. Also what is the story with the medical assessment, I am a type 2 diabetic will that go against me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

No6 wrote: »
    I am expecting an offer of a job which will be on a 457 visa. Do I need a skills assessment on this.

You have not put any details as what your occupation etc is so its hard to know, you should consult a migration agent or even the migration agent your prospective employer might appoint.
    No6 wrote: »
    Also what is the story with the medical assessment, I am a type 2 diabetic will that go against me?
    I doubt diabetes would have any bearing on a 457 as its not as if you are emigrating here or anything, might be a different story for a migrant PR visa.

Afaik the medical for 457 these days is for those who work in healthcare and is to check that you dont have any nasty diseases.

Advertisement