Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian 457 Visa megathread (sponsorship)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

No6 wrote: »
    Also what is the story with the medical assessment, I am a type 2 diabetic will that go against me?

All i had to get was a chest X ray and sent it over by registered post to the immigration place.

Your diabetes will not be a problem I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I am expecting an offer of a job which will be on a 457 visa. Do I need a skills assessment on this. Also what is the story with the medical assessment, I am a type 2 diabetic will that go against me?

As you know, i'm on a 457 also. And from a similar background to yourself.
    I didn't do a skills assessment, my specific job title is architect. And I didn't do a medical either.

The fact that you are applying off shore might mean its required, but I don't think it would matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Mellor wrote: »
    As you know, i'm on a 457 also. And from a similar background to yourself.
    I didn't do a skills assessment, my specific job title is architect. And I didn't do a medical either.

The fact that you are applying off shore might mean its required, but I don't think it would matter.

Did you get the 457 when you were over there? My new role will be Building Surveyor, so I am curious if a skills assessment is required or not, obviously the people who are going to hire me are happy with my level of experience base on my CV and interviews.

Did you get the 457 when you were over there? My new role will be Building Surveyor, so I am curious if a skills assessment is required or not, obviously the people who are going to hire me are happy with my level of experience base on my CV and interviews.

I was already over here and had been working for them for c.6 months.
    A big part of the application was their statements about the job description, the work I was doing etc
    for the council job, they will write the job brief. So you shold be fine if they want you.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Changing your 457 sponsored position, i was not aware that you could be on a 457 and move to another company in a different position. It seams you can!
    It seams all the new company has to do is put in a new nomination for your position. (Correct me if im wrong)

Very happy about this :D:D

Applying for a new visa or changing employer

If you have an employee who wants to apply for a new visa (where their current visa is about to expire), the employee must lodge a new visa application.
    If you want to change employer or position (within the validity of their current visa), you are not required to apply for a new subclass 457 visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/how-the-visa-works.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Changing your 457 sponsored position, i was not aware that you could be on a 457 and move to another company in a different position. It seams you can!
    It seams all the new company has to do is put in a new nomination for your position. (Correct me if im wrong)

Very happy about this :D:D

Applying for a new visa or changing employer

If you have an employee who wants to apply for a new visa (where their current visa is about to expire), the employee must lodge a new visa application.
    If you want to change employer or position (within the validity of their current visa), you are not required to apply for a new subclass 457 visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/how-the-visa-works.htm

Yes in theory it is very simple but the new company would need to go through almost the same process the initial sponsoring company, so its a lot of hastle for them. Then again of course if you have a skill, etc that they desire then they may be willing to do so..

I dont see how its any more than them submitting a nomination for a new role which is pretty straight forward and then transferring your visa, this part i am still looking into

I dont see how its any more than them submitting a nomination for a new role which is pretty straight forward and then transferring your visa, this part i am still looking into

Ok so.

helpfull bud keep up the good work :D

They would also need to be an approved standard business sponsor (SBS). if they weren't already that would add to the processing.

• Advertisement

helpfull bud keep up the good work :D

You don't seem to need help. You appear to know it all. bud.

Thought that was covered somewhere else in the thread Mellor, thanks. The new part to my knowledge was being able to change your job, i assumed you were locked into same job for the duration of the 457.

Thanks s.c youve been great, google knows all not me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Transferring your visa becomes a 2 step process rather than the initial 3 step process, the 1 process that gets dropped is the 'you' part.

If the company has not nominated before it's as much hassle as the 457, and I know a few companies who just applied for a new 457 rather than transfer

I know 2 people who have done it, 1 had a 3.5 week wait (as company never sponsored before, the other was a few days

I understand the nomination part and the part about the company being a registered business sponser but to transfer a sponsorship what is the second part?
    I mean after the new companies position nomination is approved, what is the next step?
    Iv been looking all over immi.gov.au and cant find the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I understand the nomination part and the part about the company being a registered business sponser but to transfer a sponsorship what is the second part?
    I mean after the new companies position nomination is approved, what is the next step?
    Iv been looking all over immi.gov.au and cant find the answer!

3 Steps

1. Business registers to be an approved sponsor
    2. Business Nominates an Applicant for sponsorship (or Nominates a holder of subclass 457 visa)
    3. Applicant applies for 457 visa.

If the new employer is already currently approved to be a sponsor then they don't need to register as an approved sponsor (part 1) but the only need to do step 2.

If the new employer is not an approved sponsor and wants to take over the employees sponsorship then they need to do do Step 1 & 2.

If an employee is already sponsored then they use the existing visa (part 3) and this step doesn't need to be repeated.

If the Employer has never sponsored before and the employee has never been sponsored before then Steps 1,2 & 3 apply.

mandrake04 wrote: »

If an employee is already sponsored then they use the existing visa (part 3) and this step doesn't need to be repeated.

Ok sorry if im not getting this but the employee is on 457 and lets say the New nomination goes through what does the new employee have to do after that to move to new company?

From the immigration site ive see they do not have to go through another 457 application

So new nomination is approved then ????

Cheers.

Well if the new nomination is approved and the employee already granted a 457 then it's all good to go

Thanks for the info, i had a read over the nomination form and in part B it asks for current visa details so this must be where the visa is transferred.

I didnt even notice this part when filling out the nomination the first time as it didnt apply to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

So I'm going to be lodging my application in the next few weeks. Just letting people know what Engineers Australia view is on the skills assessment for the 457 visa.

They state that "Engineers who come to Australia on temporary 457 visas do not have their qualifications assessed by an assessment authority. Provided that their visa application is accompanied by [FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]an employer’s acceptance of their qualifications, this is deemed sufficient support to fill the [/FONT][FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]position offered by the employer." [/FONT]

I wont be getting my skills assessed and I'll let ye know if they request me to do so when I submit my application.

memaul wrote: »
    So I'm going to be lodging my application in the next few weeks. Just letting people know what Engineers Australia view is on the skills assessment for the 457 visa.

They state that "Engineers who come to Australia on temporary 457 visas do not have their qualifications assessed by an assessment authority. Provided that their visa application is accompanied by [FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]an employer’s acceptance of their qualifications, this is deemed sufficient support to fill the [/FONT][FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]position offered by the employer." [/FONT]

I wont be getting my skills assessed and I'll let ye know if they request me to do so when I submit my application.
    There is no skills assessment for a 457 visa. Only for PR visas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

if say you got sponsored by OZ employer and made the move down under only to find you dont like it/OZ isnt for you etc, are you contracted or obliged to stay with employer for certain lenght of time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

No nobody can force you to work for them. However you would have to leave the country unless you got another sponsor.

Zambia wrote: »
    No nobody can force you to work for them. However you would have to leave the country unless you got another sponsor.

Oh right okay sounds good then!

say it didnt work out you left employer, then you are there without visa so how long do you get to get new sponsor and visa sorted have you any idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

28 days

Thanks for your help most helpful :D

Could you help with this one...

my mate is in OZ on a whv only there a few weeks, his wife is applying for a skilled visa to head over and will be including him on hers as well, so can he be in OZ on his whv while the skilled visa is being approved? so when its approved his wife can just meet with him or is it as simple as that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

trixyben wrote: »
    if say you got sponsored by OZ employer and made the move down under only to find you dont like it/OZ isnt for you etc, are you contracted or obliged to stay with employer for certain lenght of time?

If I leave my job before two years I'll have to pay back the relocation allowance!!

But that's a contract issue between you and them. Not a visa issue, same with visa PR costs for ENS.

I've no obligatons to my company if I want to leave, but on the other hand. I didn't get any benefits when sponsored. (other than the obvious)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

hi
    my gf is an enviromental scientist and we are heading over in jan. because of my age ill only get a one yr whv. what if she gets sponsorship , could i get some kind of a partner visa when mine runs out. her friend is doing something like that but we dont know the in's and out's of it
    any help would be great
    paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ross1986

Hi Guys,

Quick question about eligibility for 457 visa, I am currently working as a recruitment consultant and am going to Sydney on a 1yr whv (I'm 25). There are loadz of recruitment companies offering 457 sponsorship but I only have 1 yrs exp in recruitment. Would this be an obstacle?

I don't have any degrees etc but have 3 and a half years exp in Insurance. I would prefer to stay in recruitment but would be willing to go back to insurance in order to gain a 457.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Advertisement

Ross1986 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Quick question about eligibility for 457 visa, I am currently working as a recruitment consultant and am going to Sydney on a 1yr whv (I'm 25). There are loadz of recruitment companies offering 457 sponsorship but I only have 1 yrs exp in recruitment. Would this be an obstacle?

I don't have any degrees etc but have 3 and a half years exp in Insurance. I would prefer to stay in recruitment but would be willing to go back to insurance in order to gain a 457.

Any help would be appreciated!

I would say you have a better chance of getting sponsorship in recruitment than insurance, although 1 years experience is not much and if you don't have many qualifications not many bargaining chips to play with

I suppose if you have a bit of luck its doable.

Advertisement