Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian 457 Visa megathread (sponsorship)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

hi
    my gf is an enviromental scientist and we are heading over in jan. because of my age ill only get a one yr whv. what if she gets sponsorship , could i get some kind of a partner visa when mine runs out. her friend is doing something like that but we dont know the in's and out's of it
    any help would be great
    paddy

Read up here
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/eligibility-family.htm
    You can indeed get a partner visa if you are in a relationship

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Diddlydoubt

can anybody tell me whether accountancy is an area which people are getting sponsored in at the moment?

moving to Oz in the new year and had planned to get the WHV.

I attended a jobs expo held by Visafirst last week about Australia, and I left my CV and details with the people who held the expo and they said they would contact me this week.

Got an email yesterday telling me that i would be eligible for an Australian 457 Sponsorship Visa. I wasnt aware that this would be an option for me at this point and had only considered the WHV.

Can anybody tell me whether this information is accurate or whether i might be eligible for the 457 visa?

I have done ACA Chartered exams, and worked in Big 4 Audit Financial Services Department.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

can anybody tell me whether accountancy is an area which people are getting sponsored in at the moment?

moving to Oz in the new year and had planned to get the WHV.

I attended a jobs expo held by Visafirst last week about Australia, and I left my CV and details with the people who held the expo and they said they would contact me this week.

Got an email yesterday telling me that i would be eligible for an Australian 457 Sponsorship Visa. I wasnt aware that this would be an option for me at this point and had only considered the WHV.

Can anybody tell me whether this information is accurate or whether i might be eligible for the 457 visa?

I have done ACA Chartered exams, and worked in Big 4 Audit Financial Services Department.

Cheers

Hi Diddlydoubt,

Accountant is an occupation that is eligible for the 457 visa. Naturally you need to have a job offer from an employer in this occupation before you can lodge your application. The job offer is a key requirement as explained at the seminar.

If you do not have a job offer, then you could consider the 190 state sponsored visa option or the WHV.
    For the state sponsored visa, - you select a state that has your occupation on their demand list and get sponsored by the state.
    This will give you permanent residency and will take time to be processed compared with the 457 visa

Going down the route of the WHV visa is a faster route and while you are on the WHV, it is a great way to get working with an employer and try to secure a sponsorship while working for him on the WHV.

But definitely if you have a job offer - the 457 visa is a great option in and will allow you to remain there for up to 4 years.

So there are different options available to you as a qualified accountant.
    I imagine the assistant from VF tried to contact you by telephone first to run down through the options and then dropped you a brief e-mail when they couldn't reach you - that is the process with them.

Drop them an e-mail for a call back and they will happily assess your situation and explain your options in detail and answer any questions that you have.

Regards,
    Declan Clune

Hi Diddlydoubt,

Accountant is an occupation that is eligible for the 457 visa. Naturally you need to have a job offer from an employer in this occupation before you can lodge your application. The job offer is a key requirement as explained at the seminar.

If you do not have a job offer, then you could consider the 190 state sponsored visa option or the WHV.
    For the state sponsored visa, - you select a state that has your occupation on their demand list and get sponsored by the state.
    This will give you permanent residency and will take time to be processed compared with the 457 visa

Going down the route of the WHV visa is a faster route and while you are on the WHV, it is a great way to get working with an employer and try to secure a sponsorship while working for him on the WHV.

But definitely if you have a job offer - the 457 visa is a great option in and will allow you to remain there for up to 4 years.

So there are different options available to you as a qualified accountant.
    I imagine the assistant from VF tried to contact you by telephone first to run down through the options and then dropped you a brief e-mail when they couldn't reach you - that is the process with them.

Drop them an e-mail for a call back and they will happily assess your situation and explain your options in detail and answer any questions that you have.

Regards,
    Declan Clune

thanks for the reply Declan.

I dont actually have a job offer at the moment anyway. Is there a way i could try and obtain an offer at the moment or would that be difficult considering i am in Ireland and it would be unlikely someone would offer me a job without having met me first for an interview etc?

Also what states have accountants on their demand lists or how would i find this out?

and i have only really started looking into jobs in Australia so I guess for the moment my best option is probably to get the WHV and try and get a job when i get over to Oz.

In terms of the visa, i had only really planned on going on the WHV and seeing how i liked it. I hadnt considered staying beyond the WHV but the fact that i might be eligible for sponsorship and the attractive salaries that seem to be on offer in australia in comparison to here make it an option that might prove attractive to me

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

I dont actually have a job offer at the moment anyway. Is there a way i could try and obtain an offer at the moment or would that be difficult considering i am in Ireland and it would be unlikely someone would offer me a job without having met me first for an interview etc?

Also what states have accountants on their demand lists or how would i find this out?

and i have only really started looking into jobs in Australia so I guess for the moment my best option is probably to get the WHV and try and get a job when i get over to Oz.

In terms of the visa, i had only really planned on going on the WHV and seeing how i liked it. I hadnt considered staying beyond the WHV but the fact that i might be eligible for sponsorship and the attractive salaries that seem to be on offer in australia in comparison to here make it an option that might prove attractive to me

Hi Diddlydoubt,

The ease of getting a job offer from outside of Australia depends on a number of factors including the type of occupation, the level of experience you have after you are qualified etc. As an accountant - this is an occupation that you should be able to secure a sponsorship visa in but it would take a bit longer to secure.

We have got a number of people placed from Ireland - including diesel mechanics, welders, nurses, engineers, quantiity surveyors, chefs to name a few. So it is possible to do this. Accountants is not an area that we have focused on to date.

Accountants (221111) are currently on the demand list for each state across Australia. Different states each have differing requirements in terms of number of years of post qualification experience and IELTS score.

The WHV will get you over fast, the state sponsored visa will keep you there or the sponsorship visa will give you a few years there once you have an employer. So you definitely have a range of options as an accountant.

Get back to VF if you need them to clarify exactly what each of the state requirements are or the conditions are for the WHV or 457. The 457 and 190 visas can be arranged while you are in Oz.

With the FX rates =- you might find overseas registered agents currently better value compared with Oz registered agents.

Best of luck with whatever route you proceed.
    Regards,
    Declan

• Advertisement

Personally I would say this is your best offer, getting a job from Ireland is difficult and I know several people who came over working for a accountant firm on a 457 only to find out they were under paid.

accountancy is on the skills list, but there is a lot of competition out here for jobs.
    If you are unsure then get a WHV, see if you like it and then try to stay. Getting a skilled visa takes time and money ($3000+) and if you go with an agent add another 2k on to that.

on a mod note, I have moved these questions into teh 457 thread.
    and for the sake of clarity, Declan is a registered agent for VisaFirst.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Me and the missus are heading back to Melbourne in under two weeks. We'll looking to find an employer to sponsor us. Thing is, sponsorship isn't that common in hospitality over here. One of us will have to be offered a managerial role to be eligible as well... We better hit the ground running so :pac:

hussey wrote: »
    Personally I would say this is your best offer, getting a job from Ireland is difficult and I know several people who came over working for a accountant firm on a 457 only to find out they were under paid.

accountancy is on the skills list, but there is a lot of competition out here for jobs.

If you are unsure then get a WHV, see if you like it and then try to stay. Getting a skilled visa takes time and money ($3000+) and if you go with an agent add another 2k on to that.

on a mod note, I have moved these questions into teh 457 thread.
    and for the sake of clarity, Declan is a registered agent for VisaFirst.

similar to this my girlfriend who has qualified as a nurse from college got a call from VF yesterday too telling her that she was eligible for sponsorship. They tld her that her visa would cost €310 plus €50 for an induction pack and then a further €200 for a medical test in Dublin.

I was wondering how accurate this information might be?

Again i would assume her availability for sponsorship would be based on the premise that she would have to have a job offer to be eligible for the visa?

i still think we would both be better going on the WHV first to see how we like it over there and then when we get sorted with work if we want to stay then try to get sponsored whilst over there. would this be cnsidered the best option?

similar to this my girlfriend who has qualified as a nurse from college got a call from VF yesterday too telling her that she was eligible for sponsorship. They tld her that her visa would cost €310 plus €50 for an induction pack and then a further €200 for a medical test in Dublin.

I was wondering how accurate this information might be?

Again i would assume her availability for sponsorship would be based on the premise that she would have to have a job offer to be eligible for the visa?

i still think we would both be better going on the WHV first to see how we like it over there and then when we get sorted with work if we want to stay then try to get sponsored whilst over there. would this be cnsidered the best option?
    if your GF is a nurse, then you'll have no problem getting a visa, they are wanted over here. Also you are not suppose to pay for the 457 visa, that is employer sponsored. So you need a job offer. I would not take that, you have not been offered a job yet, and you are getting quotes. Something isn't right there.
    I would still recommend getting a WHV then deciding where you want to live, and under what conditions. And certainly don't pay for a 457

I've been through Immi website but can't seem to find the info I'm looking for. My situation is that I worked for a hotel during the 1st year of my Working Holiday Visa. Previously they said they looked at sponsoring us but couldn't as the suitable roles weren't available. I think I read somewhere that if you previously worked for an employer under another visa it isn't possible to be then sponsored by that employer under the 457 visa. Is this correct??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think I read somewhere that if you previously worked for an employer under another visa it isn't possible to be then sponsored by that employer under the 457 visa. Is this correct??
    That's not true at all.
    I worked for my current 457 employer on my WHV. I know lots if people who did, in fact thats how most people get sponsored.

Mellor wrote: »
    That's not true at all.
    I worked for my current 457 employer on my WHV. I know lots if people who did, in fact thats how most people get sponsored.

Yeh I know you can go from a WHV to sponsorship. For some reason I thought if you previously worked for a company and come back you then can't get sponsorship with them - i.e if you want to be sponsored with a company it has to be your first time working with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

No anyone can sponsor you, once they are approved. You previous jobs have no bearing on who sponsors you.
    The only issue may be if you worked in previous job for 6 months, then you would have to lodge a form to breach your 6 month constraint and one of the acceptable reasons for this is waiting on 457...

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭darcy07

Hi guys need as much advice as possible im working for the past 5 months as a business analyst for australia post i am contracted by an agency to australia post

my contract ends next month i am on a one year visa havent been farming and have a level 8 honours degree in accounting im 23 with 2 years office work experience and worked in retail for 5 years previous

the company want me to stay but hr said it would be difficult what are my options do i apply for a different visa etc i need several options to present them with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Presume you are on a WHV, so that means you can only work for them for 6mths, the only way you can stay working for them is

1) They sponsor you, used to be called a 457 visa not sure what it is now
    2) They nominate you for permanent residency was a 186 visa I think
    3) You apply for permanent resident by yourself was known as a 175 or 176 visa.

They are your 3 options that I know of.

of the 3 options whats the easiest etc ? they may sponsor me but not sure if they able to as the role of business analyst isnt a role that cant be fullfilled by an ozzie

option 2/3 i doubt i would get as ive been here 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

darcy07 wrote: »
    they may sponsor me but not sure if they able to as the role of business analyst isnt a role that cant be fullfilled by an ozzie

Labor Market Testing has been removed from the 457, an employer is no longer required to give preference to Australians or Permanent residents and does not have to prove that they could not find a local.

Really it has never been as easy to be sponsored provided

(a) You meet the criteria for the visa and Position.
    (b) The employer meets the criteria to Sponsor.
    (c) The position pays a min of $51400 pa.

(a) what criteria do i need to match
    (b) what criteria do they have to match
    (c) thats not a problem

i know hr are starting to look into this but only have a few weeks left so i wanted to see if i could do anything to help it along or do i just sit back and let them do everything ?

darcy07 wrote: »
    (a) what criteria do i need to match
    (b) what criteria do they have to match
    (c) thats not a problem

i know hr are starting to look into this but only have a few weeks left so i wanted to see if i could do anything to help it along or do i just sit back and let them do everything ?

It not hard to find its on the website

(a) http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/eligibility-employee.htm
    (b) http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/eligibility-employer.htm & http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/eligibility-nomination.htm

Pay attention to the qualification and relevant experience requirements under the Eligible occupations section

No anyone can sponsor you, once they are approved. You previous jobs have no bearing on who sponsors you.
    The only issue may be if you worked in previous job for 6 months, then you would have to lodge a form to breach your 6 month constraint and one of the acceptable reasons for this is waiting on 457...

Nah, I just read it on the website, you can only get sponsored on the 457 visa if you are working for the company for the first time.

• Advertisement

Nah, I just read it on the website, you can only get sponsored on the 457 visa if you are working for the company for the first time.

Can you link to where you read that.
    As I mentioned I worked for my company before I got sponsored by them.

Can you link to where you read that.
    As I mentioned I worked for my company before I got sponsored by them.

He is right, I never noticed that before it must be a new condition, its like the rule change for Labor Market Testing was removed but people are still under the impression that you can only be sponsored if no local can fill the postion.... that ruling used to be written right there. Now gone.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/eligibility-employee.htm

Eligibility to apply for this visa

You can apply for a subclass 457 visa if:

you have relevant skills and you been nominated by an approved business to work in an eligible occupation in Australia, and you:
    • are working for the company for the first time
    • are being transferred from another position within the same company outside Australia
    • currently hold a subclass 457 visa which is about to expire.
    • you will be a representative of a supplier of services who is located outside Australia
    • you are a person recommended for entry by the Australian Minister for Foreign Affairs
    • you are a member of the family unit of a skilled worker who has been nominated for this visa
    • you meet other eligibility requirements applicable to all visa applicants.

Yeh its a bit of a kick in the teeth! Means I now can't work for any of the hotels in the Rydges Group (which is a pretty large group) if I want to look for sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

What about if you are currently working for the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

mandrake04 wrote: »
    He is right, I never noticed that before it must be a new condition, its like the rule change for Labor Market Testing was removed but people are still under the impression that you can only be sponsored if no local can fill the postion.... that ruling used to be written right there. Now gone.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/eligibility-employee.htm
    Yeah wait a sec, this is getting confusing, I was looking over this too as the company I work for mentioned the need for someone like me over there (without my input the position would likely go to another APAC region, not Oz).
    What way is "working for the first time" meant to be taken? Logically nearly everyone working for a company at the moment is working for them "for the first time". If its referring to people that had a job, moved job, then moved back to the earlier employer, thats a very obscure and hard to understand rule..?!

However if it meant that to get a 457 you have to be a new employee to a company (hired specifically for 457), then it conflicts with the second entry option: "are being transferred from another position within the same company outside Australia".

Does it mean in or out of Australia? I assume in Oz, as would they care (or know about) outside Australia.

Also;
    A more general question, I know the 457 eligibility needs to match an occupation on the CSOL. I know the 457 Applicant has to "demonstrate skill or ability to undertake the task" however I just want to be doubly sure that 457's dont actually need Skill Assessment (from the likes of ACS).

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Yeah wait a sec, this is getting confusing, I was looking over this too as the company I work for mentioned the need for someone like me over there.

What are you asking?

Are you working for a company in Ireland and then maybe transferring to Australia within the company?

If so then it seems you are covered, website is pretty clear.
    Eligibility to apply for this visa

You can apply for a subclass 457 visa if:

you have relevant skills and you been nominated by an approved business to work in an eligible occupation in Australia, and you:
    • are working for the company for the first time
    • are being transferred from another position within the same company outside Australia
    • currently hold a subclass 457 visa which is about to expire.

Also;
    A more general question, I know the 457 eligibility needs to match an occupation on the CSOL. I know the 457 Applicant has to "demonstrate skill or ability to undertake the task" however I just want to be doubly sure that 457's dont need Skill Assessment (from the likes of ACS).

Did you read the website? seems pretty clear.
    Skill requirements
    Subclass 457 visa applicants are required to demonstrate that they have the skills and experience necessary to perform the nominated occupation.

The evidence that you can provide is listed in the Document checklist for visa applicants ( 76KB PDF file).

[I]If your nominated occupation is a trade occupation you may be required to undertake a skills assessment.[/I] To determine if you will be required to do so, refer to the Trades Recognition Australia website.

For certain Trade occupations and countries .... Yes

Other Occupations it seems that they have an online search, you pick your occupation and it will tell you what qualifications and experience is expected of you. (This is new as well)
    A description of the qualifications and experience required for each of the eligible occupations is at 1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition, Revision 1.

This opens a search page to help you locate your nominated occupation. This will help you identify the level of qualifications and work background you are required to have.

For example an Engineering Manager (ANZSCO code 133211) will have either a relevant bachelor degree or higher qualification (or equivalent) or at least five years relevant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Hmm, as you say "its pretty clear" what Im asking as I spelled it all out right there.
    What are you asking?
    Are you working for a company in Ireland and then maybe transferring to Australia within the company?

If so then it seems you are covered, website is pretty clear.
    Yeah thats my personal angle and I seem fine, but I want to understand this "first time" lark too, I dont do anything half cocked with blinkers on.
    Did you read the website? seems pretty clear.
    Clearly I read the website or I wouldnt know anything about CSOL, ANZSCO, Assessement bodys, there is no need to get snippy.

It says you need to match up to a position on the CSOL. The CSOL lists professions and in the same table lists the accessing body for most of the professions. The 457 site specifically mentions Trade assessments but refers everyone else to CSOL, which refers to the an Accessing body and then to the ANZSCO list, which itself lists a variety of "should have" experience and qualifications, but all in a vague qualifiable (vs quantifiable) tense.

However I know from reading other forums that 457 applicants did not get asked for Assessment as they effectively are creating or bringing a job with them, it would be counter-productive to make it hard for 457 applicants. My understanding is a 457 applicant has to provide evidence in a manner more akin to an indept and extended CV with references on letterheaded paper etc.

but I want to understand this "first time" lark too, I dont do anything half cocked with blinkers on.

Who knows but its in there for a reason otherwise why put on the website, maybe its the case that they found a high level of fraud or abuse among applications who were trying to return to work for previous employers.

Clearly I read the website or I wouldnt know anything about CSOL, ANZSCO, Assessement bodys, there is no need to get snippy.

I am just being transparent, same as the website.

It says you need to match up to a position on the CSOL. The CSOL lists professions and in the same table lists the accessing body for most of the professions. The 457 site specifically mentions Trade assessments but refers everyone else to CSOL, which refers to the an Accessing body and then to the ANZSCO list, which itself lists a variety of "should have" experience and qualifications, but all in a vague qualifiable (vs quantifiable) tense.

Their example of Engineering Manager (ANZSCO code 133211) is pretty clear
    will have either a relevant bachelor degree or higher qualification (or equivalent) or at least five years relevant experience

other occupations are not as clear, but if you have relevant qualifications and experience it should not be a problem

When I was sponsored the agent asked for all my qualifications and a complete CV, I guess its not a formal skills assessment like that you would use for Skilled Migration but something that the Case Officer ticks off as meeting the criteria.

If you are looking to be sponsored in the IT industry for instance, then a qualification or a couple of years experience in IT would meet the Criteria.

A qualification in Art and 3 years working in a chip shop probably wouldn't.

My understanding is a 457 applicant has to provide evidence in a manner more akin to an indept and extended CV with references on letterheaded paper etc.

as above

Yeah thats my personal angle and I seem fine, but I want to understand this "first time" lark too, I dont do anything half cocked with blinkers on.
    It's a case of working for them for the first time OR transferring from over seas.

The rest is fairly straight forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

It's a case of working for them for the first time OR transferring from over seas.

The rest is fairly straight forward.

So does that mean that people coming over on WHV's with the aim of working for a company for 6 months to prove themselves for a 457, can't then be sponsored as they won't be working for the company for the first time?

It is quite confusing...

Advertisement