Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian 457 Visa megathread (sponsorship)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Plug wrote: »
    Hello people. im in the process of getting sponsored. i have provided everything they wanted but now they are looking for a police clearance from Ireland and Australia. what is the best way of getting one from back home? Can my father go to the local garda station and apply for one. My 6 months work will come to an end on the 21 of next month. should i apply for a bridging visa? Im on a whv currently.
    thanks
    Whose asking for police clearance?
    Immigration or an agent.

The application for a 457 includes a bridging visa by the way. A bridging visa is needed when your visa expires before a decision is made. It's not what you need here.
    You need an extension. There's a form on the immi website. Or you can apply in writing with a letter or in person. Very quick and simply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Mellor wrote: »
    Whose asking for police clearance?
    Immigration or an agent.

My visa agent forwarded an email to me from immigration saying they wanted a police clearance from Ireland and Australia. When i filled out the form 80 i had to tell them about a dd charge that happened two months ago in Perth so i reckon that's why they want it. Also i rang the visa agent and he told me that's why they want the police clearance. Got my father to apply for the clearance just there. how long do ye reckon that will take? I'd just prefer not to apply for an extension.
    The application for a 457 includes a bridging visa by the way. A bridging visa is needed when your visa expires before a decision is made. It's not what you need here.
    You need an extension. There's a form on the immi website. Or you can apply in writing with a letter or in person. Very quick and simply.

I understand it now. So how long into the next 4 weeks should i apply for the extension if the Irish police clearance is taking its time?

Thanks very much for your help, im starting to breed again...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 imagine_08

My visa agent forwarded an email to me from immigration saying they wanted a police clearance from Ireland and Australia. When i filled out the form 80 i had to tell them about a dd charge that happened two months ago in Perth so i reckon that's why they want it. Also i rang the visa agent and he told me that's why they want the police clearance. Got my father to apply for the clearance just there. how long do ye reckon that will take? I'd just prefer not to apply for an extension.

I understand it now. So how long into the next 4 weeks should i apply for the extension if the Irish police clearance is taking its time?

I have just finished applying for my 457 Visa today online. I never got any police clearance from Ireland or New Zealand where I lived for 1 year. Is this something that immigration will ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You don't need a clearance form for a 457, unless you have previous convictions.

hussey wrote: »
    You don't need a clearance form for a 457, unless you have previous convictions.

Phew!! Fantastic. Thanks for that!! Fingers crossed. Waiting game now.

• Advertisement

I'd wait, the extension should be almost instant. So I'd wait until the last week if you'd rather avoid it.

When i applied for my 457, I went straight to a bridging visa E - where I can't legally work.

Lodged 457 on Friday
    Went into immi on monday afternoon. And filled out a work permission form. Was granted instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Doing the 457 visa application at the moment. The company have done the sponsor and nomination part so now I have to complete my section. Just wondering who is supposed to pay for my section of the application, me or the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Doing the 457 visa application at the moment. The company have done the sponsor and nomination part so now I have to complete my section. Just wondering who is supposed to pay for my section of the application, me or the company?

Thats between you and your company. Doesn't matter to immigration.

457 application is all done and submitted now. Am wondering should I get something by email confirming that my application has been submitted? It's been 2 hours now and nothing!

Also when I track my application online it says I have been granted a bridging visa, yet I have received no email about this, and it completely contradicts what Immigration told me about it taking 2 weeks for them to manually process the bridging visa!

457 application is all done and submitted now. Am wondering should I get something by email confirming that my application has been submitted? It's been 2 hours now and nothing!

Also when I track my application online it says I have been granted a bridging visa, yet I have received no email about this, and it completely contradicts what Immigration told me about it taking 2 weeks for them to manually process the bridging visa!

I assume they will email once its approved (or not)

I applied 2 weeks ago - Never received an email confirming the application was submitted but received an email requesting more info last week from the case manager. Waiting game now !

• Advertisement

It's processed automatically online not manually. Even if its a paper application and its done manually, its done while you stand there.
    If you submit before your visa runs out, you'll be granted BR when it expires.

Even if your WHV has expired, you'll be granted a bridging visa on the spot to remain legal while its processed.

They might of meant 2 weeks to be assigned a case officer. If the tracking online shows that its lodged, and BV granted then your fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 minsbarron

Pisco Sour & imagine_08, please update us as to your progress as & when ye know anything further. Our's will be going in next week & I'm keen to know how long applications are taking now. Cheers.

minsbarron wrote: »
    Pisco Sour & imagine_08, please update us as to your progress as & when ye know anything further. Our's will be going in next week & I'm keen to know how long applications are taking now. Cheers.

Applied for mine on 21/11/2012 - they requested extra docs on 27/11 and got approved yesterday 06/12/2012 so happy days!

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gabberific

Hello!
    Long long long time reader first time poster.
    I'm about to apply for my 457 with a large company in Perth who have already sponsored people in the past. It's all very hopeful, but I have one little worry.
    Does anyone know if, for some reason, my 457 visa was not approved, would the final 6 months of my WHV be void?
    I'd really appreciate if anyone has any insight into this!

Thanks a million!

No. It wouldn't, if you don't get the 457 you still have the WHV

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gabberific

No. It wouldn't, if you don't get the 457 you still have the WHV

Oh great, thanks for that! Now I feel a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 minsbarron

Any word Pisco Sour?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

The construction company I work for want to sponsor me on a 457 as a Estimator. What evidence would immi ask for as proof of my qualifications and experience?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Pisco, your making the work more than it needs to be.

They don't need to be certified copies. Standard scans where fine for me.
    You don't need the health cover if you have a ROI passport. If its a UK passport, you need to register for medicare and scan or photograph the card.

However with regards what the company needs to provide theres no checklist and I've had to dig through a lot of waffle. The below needs to be provided by the company to prove they are a lawfully operating business:

ABN and ACN if they have it should be fine. The rest really only apply to very large companies.
    The total staff wages is also asked soemwhere.

Its far simpler than that. There's no checklist, different companies will provide training is different ways. There's a section to include a statement about training. Just detail all the training the companies provides, or might provide in the future. Courses staff attend, in house training etc.
    You don't need evidence at this stage.

Did you do all the legwork for the visa yourself Mellor? I'm working for a company here and I reckon if I asked them to sponsor me I reckon they might, and I think the position would qualify under the SOL, even though it isn't the exact title it's identical to one of the positions listed. I don't they'd have sponsored anyone before so it means I'd have to start from scratch; I doubt they'd be willing to shell out for a migration agent. Aside from gathering all the documentation together, was there any cost other than the actual application fee from your side, the $420? Was there a charge for the company assessment part?

There's the company's application to be a sponsor, if they've sponsored others they prob already have this done.
    The nomination fee and the visa fee.

Altogether it cost a few hundred with no other costs.

• Advertisement

Has anyone here, or anyone you know of, had a 457 decision since the new year? My application was sent in last year, the company got approved early/mid December with a further info request for the nomination. Sent in the info almost immediately and haven't heard anything since. Of course i knew once xmas hit i wouldn't be hearing anything for a couple of weeks. Just wondering if there's still maybe some sort of holiday backlog or does anyone know of 457s being granted so far this year?

Why don't you email/ring he case officer and see how the nomination is coming along?

Got my 457 this morning. In total it took 5 weeks, which is pretty quick given that a fair chunk of that time was Christmas holidays.

Got my 457 this morning. In total it took 5 weeks, which is pretty quick given that a fair chunk of that time was Christmas holidays.

congrats! Mine has been 6 weeks so far so really expecting something any day now. I did it through a visa company so i don't know my case officer or app number or anything. The visa company did say they'll contact my case officer to check up on it but i don't think they have yet. Ah well all i can do is wait i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Got mine today thank christ. Took about 1.5 weaks since I got everything together. But took about 2 months to get everything together.
    Delighted anyway, I can relax and order a new XR6 turbo:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Kind of a tricky question. I'm entering Australia in a holiday visa. And while I'm there, my old employer who sponsored me 2 years ago, said she will sponsor me again. Great news. I looked on the immi.gov.au website, and it said her sponsor status is valid for 3 years.

That 3 years is up I'm April. If we get the application in before then will we get away without doing the sponsor application? Or does she need to renew it after the 3 years?

Mackman wrote: »
    Kind of a tricky question. I'm entering Australia in a holiday visa. And while I'm there, my old employer who sponsored me 2 years ago, said she will sponsor me again. Great news. I looked on the immi.gov.au website, and it said her sponsor status is valid for 3 years.

That 3 years is up I'm April. If we get the application in before then will we get away without doing the sponsor application? Or does she need to renew it after the 3 years?

The SBS approval lasts for 3 years. It only needs to be valid at the time of lodging. She doesn't have to maintain it for the length of sponsorship. So they could sponsor you with the current approval. It would be best to lodge nomination and application together.

However, you may run into issues regarding coming over on a holiday visa to get work and a new visa. You are really supposed to apply from home.

The SBS approval lasts for 3 years. It only needs to be valid at the time of lodging. She doesn't have to maintain it for the length of sponsorship. So they could sponsor you with the current approval. It would be best to lodge nomination and application together.

However, you may run into issues regarding coming over on a holiday visa to get work and a new visa. You are really supposed to apply from home.

What kind of issues? I won't be working when I apply for it. I'll wait till I get it to start work. Can I not apply for it while on a holiday visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mackman wrote: »
    What kind of issues? I won't be working when I apply for it. I'll wait till I get it to start work. Can I not apply for it while on a holiday visa?

Apparently not. http://www.immi.gov.au/gateways/agents/pdf/subclass-457-visitors.pdf
    An applicant seeking to overstay their visitor visa or to remain in Australia on a subsequent visa is not considered a genuine visitor.

• Advertisement

I would read that as someone who applies for a 457, then comes to Australia on a Visitor Visa and waits for the 457 to come through.

On the 457 booklet is states:
    Limitations on visa applications
    If you are in Australia, you may be prevented from making an application if you do not hold a substantive visa (which is any visa other than a bridging visa, a criminal justice visa or an enforcement visa) and the last substantive visa held by you was a subclass 771 (Transit) visa or a special purpose visa.

Doesn't say anything about Visitor Visa. IMO its perfectly applectable to presume I come to Aus visiting, run into someone who offers me a job and agrees to sponsor me.

Advertisement