Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

teagas or private consultants

• 17-01-2012 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭

hi i am after taking over running of farm at home its 50 cow suckler farm and was thinking about either getting teagas or private consultant to help me out on things like nitrates and other paper work things and for genaral farm stuff, which do you have and what would you think is best, and what is the going rate. any advice is welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭David brown

valtra2 wrote: »
    hi i am after taking over running of farm at home its 50 cow suckler farm and was thinking about either getting teagas or private consultant to help me out on things like nitrates and other paper work things and for genaral farm stuff, which do you have and what would you think is best, and what is the going rate. any advice is welcome
    I have used both and tbh its down to how good the actual adviser is.one advantage teagasc has at the minute is discussion groups whereby a group of farmers is formed in close proximity and then meet up at alternate times in a different members farm.i find this system works well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I have used both and tbh its down to how good the actual adviser is.one advantage teagasc has at the minute is discussion groups whereby a group of farmers is formed in close proximity and then meet up at alternate times in a different members farm.i find this system works well.

+1,
    looks like there is a grand in it this year which should cover fees as well. Was in a teagasc discussion group when I was milking and found it v beneficial. The beef men seem to be a lot more cagey as they seem to think they might be giving something away to the 'competition.'

Try to find out how good the local teagasc beef advisor is first.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

blue5000 wrote: »
    The beef men seem to be a lot more cagey as they seem to think they might be giving something away to the 'competition.'

;) my important info is only shared with a couple of people I know wont be dragging it around the country. After all, the more efficient my practices are the more I can bid day in day out at the mart over my rivals :rolleyes:

I would recommend a consultant that also is a farmer as they will know what its like in the real world. Is there much work out there for consultants at the minute? how many have consultants? and on what issues do you use them for?
    is it more to do with form filling or actual day to day operation of the farm

Advertisement