Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lonely in Kilkenny - advice?!

Options
  • 17-01-2012 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi everyone,

I'm male, in my mid 20s and have recently moved to Kilkenny City for work.

I'm sure there are a lot of friendly people around out there in the city, but I haven't met them yet. Mostly because I haven't really met anybody yet, and don't know what to do about it.

I would love to meet some guys and girls to be able to go for a drink with on a Friday night, or catch a movie with during the week or whatever. It's always nice to make new mates, and you never know, even a woman.

It probably sounds a little pathetic and desperate even to advertise for friends on Boards.ie haha :) but I'm only checking it out, see what people can suggest!

All ideas/PMs welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Do you play any sports or have any interests (alcohol and films, OK)? There's loads of clubs to get you sorted there. If not, there's some good pubs to get to know people, I don't really know about the weekend as I never go out due to work or playing sports but midweek, Ryans is good on a Wednesday night, Pump House is would be another good spot to meet people your age. You like films, Billy Byrnes on John's St. has a movie night on Wednesdays. I think they'd be the best places for someone your age to get chatting to someone. The users of this forum don't meet up ever, we'll there was this one time we had a Christmas party but the dust hasn't settled yet so it mightn't happen for a while yet :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ArchTech86

I like to play the guitar - but I'm only good enough for my own amusement kinda thing, I plan to join a gym shortly (when I get paid from new job... monthly!), and I'm open to taking up some new hobbies/interests to meet people, not precisely sure what I'd like to do, more of a case of I'd hear something and think "hmm. yeah. maybe I'll try that!"... if that makes any sense???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Ryans has an open mic night every second Wednesday. If you take up cycling let me know but that's about where my help goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Used to live in Kilkenny myself for a while with work. There was a snooker hall down the town, the locals used give me a game and it helped break the week up. Don't know if it's still there though(that was ten years ago).
    Always had great time for KK people after my six months there, I found them friendly and open to out-of-towners.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Welcome to Kilkenny

I have some contact with these chaps, nice cross section very helpful.

http://www.archery.ie/kilkenny.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I've started playing poker (Texas Hold'em) in O'Loughlin Gaels

Its a strange kind of social outlet but works well, there are people inthe room! you can drink! or not. Chat if the mood takes, you as you move tables personalities change etc

It's Thursday nights

I would have liked a poker night in my own place like they used have in The Odd Couple but hasnt happened sofar

There are also voluntary organisations etc

regarding cinema, Kilkenny cinena is crap in what it shows but the Film Club in Set Theatre is quite good, though people don't tend to interact

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Going to Billy Byrnes of a Wednesday night is your best bet for the most social type of cinema experience in Kilkenny.

If drama is your thing, there are a lot of different groups/companies/musical societies that organise a lot of events. Great way to meet women too.

In terms of music, Ryans open mic on Wednesday would be a really good way of meeting people and if you're handy for a few tunes, you should sign up. Also, the trad session in Cleere's of a Monday night has a very friendly atmosphere, a lot of people would head down on their own and it's good craic.

I know I probably shouldn't jest but:

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

I've started playing poker (Texas Hold'em) in O'Loughlin Gaels

Its a strange kind of social outlet but works well, there are people inthe room! you can drink! or not. Chat if the mood takes, you as you move tables personalities change etc

It's Thursday nights

I would have liked a poker night in my own place like they used have in The Odd Couple but hasnt happened sofar

There are also voluntary organisations etc

regarding cinema, Kilkenny cinena is crap in what it shows but the Film Club in Set Theatre is quite good, though people don't tend to interact

The Poker night in O'Loughlin's sounds interesting. What sums of money are usually won or lost? Is there a minimum/maximum bet amount, or is it just playing for the fun of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

DerryRed wrote: »
    The Poker night in O'Loughlin's sounds interesting. What sums of money are usually won or lost? Is there a minimum/maximum bet amount, or is it just playing for the fun of it?

Its 30euro , and option for extra 20 euro top up

Prizes depend on how many there, last i played were 3 tabes , i got a 100 for coming third - 1st-5th got cash

also poker in riverboat club on Parliament Street,

also over Village Inn but I neever played there

so of those play cash games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 clichedgeek

I am in a similar situation as you and I am also a male in my mid-20s, just been in Kilkenny a bit longer.

Billy Burns on a Wednesday is great for a pint, a movie and some free snacks. The range of movies shown is good to from Another Year, last week, to Run Lola Run tonight. Sometimes there is a good gig there.

Ryans is good on a Friday and Saturday, mostly good music and a good crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

A friend of mine was in a similar situation. Single, mid 20's and looking for a social outlet to meet some new people.
    Anyway, about 6 months ago he joined "Macra Na Feirme". Don't immediately dismiss it. There is a bit of a stigma attached to Macra, & you might have the impression its only for farmers & culchies!! I was speaking to my mate recenlty and he's delighted he joined. There are numerous activities every week like, indoor soccer, tag rugby, bowling, poker, snooker, darts, cinema and so on. Theres a good mix of fellas and girls. If you need more info PM me and I'll put you in touch with my mate. Otherwise check the website:

http://www.kilkennymacra.com/

Best of luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Hmm, not one of you has offered to meet the poor chap for a pint. :D

I'm curious. Is everyone that posts in this forum is Kilkenny born and bred or are most of you blow-ins?

Born and bred. Went swanning around Europe in my twenties but returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Hmm, not one of you has offered to meet the poor chap for a pint. :D

I'm curious. Is everyone that posts in this forum is Kilkenny born and bred or are most of you blow-ins?

I'm a blow-in but my wife is from Kilkenny. Would offer to meet for a pint but we have a 3 year old and a 6 week old at home so my free time is limited at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Kilkenny born and bred :D Free time is non existence for me as i am doing alot of travelling now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

When I first moved to Dublin I was in the same boat. I decided to share a house with a few strangers and became friends with them and the group of people I'd hang out with grew from that + people I made friends with in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭countryliving

hiyah, i admire you admitting you are lonely. i totally understand i have lived away from kilkenny and yep i have felt lonely so i understand.
    in fact when i moved back to kilkenny i felt lonely i remember joining a gym and nobody spoke to me! i was in a gym in dublin knew a lot of people so i was disappointed... i got to know people i joined fit for life in the watershed and i have got to know a few single girls like myself. i am way older than you otherwise id meet up with you. so - yep if i was around that age i would join macra - i used steer clear of it being a farmers daughter i was running from it years ago but i hear it is great and very social and good people involved. for sure it is hard as well to get out there and make new friends so my advice is stick with it - you will make new friends and find your own.... all you need is just one friend and you are sorted. i notice in the watershed there are lots of soccer groups playing..mayb you are not into sport? but i have no interest personally in drama or acting but i understand that there are a few good groups in kilkenny. there are also night classes watch out for some in the kilkenny ormonde college. i am probably not much use but i hope you find a few new friends and enjoy your time in kilkenny, be brave and go for it - you'll find new friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭DeeRottie

Do you have a dog? I've always found it a great way to get talking to people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

it can be tough to get to know ppl in a new place alright

but what was said above is very true, pubs like ryans, pumphouse, billy byrnes cleeres etc.. are full of friendly easy going locals who would be more than happy to have a chat to you. staff too, especially if you're on your own.

i would definitely recommend joining a gym, you'll get chatting to peole a lot easier as most ppl who are working out will come over to spot you if you are on your own, places like dragons lair and top pro could be looked into too as they run a whole variety of classes which will include people from all walks of life in kilkenny.

theres also plenty of theatre and arts groups and societies, volunteer work, plenty of charity shops in kilkenny that are always looking for staff, even if you could only work couple of hours a week, it'd get you out and about talking to people

alternatively, you could start wearing dark clothes hating your parents abandon washing yourself and indeed all forms of hygene and just hang around outside dunnes, seems to work wonders for all those emo kids on kieran street.

• Advertisement

ayatollah wrote: »
    alternatively, you could start wearing dark clothes hating your parents abandon washing yourself and indeed all forms of hygene and just hang around outside dunnes, seems to work wonders for all those emo kids on kieran street.

Why so down on those kids. For the most part they're a nice bunch and maybe if the skate park got off the ground they could go and congregate there instead. There's not much for kids that age to do in Kilkenny - too young for pubs and too old for summer camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭She Who Dares Wins

Do you know anything about hurling? Its pretty hard to bond with the locals if you dont!

http://www.meetup.com/The-Kilkenny-Social-Club/

Join Kilkenny Tennis Club or the Active Club gym

Excuse me for bumping an oldish thread but I came across this and thought it would be helpful for newcomers to Kilkenny and even those that want to broaden their social circles.

The Kilkenny Social Club

It has lots of possibilities on the link. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Not for everyone but Kilkenny based , good bunch of lads (and ladies) and a very sociable sport.
    http://www.facebook.com/pantherairsoft.kilkenny?ref=ts

Advertisement