Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student in Nursing

Options
  • 17-01-2012 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi
    I am interested in Nursing in WIT as Mature student and would like some advice on how to go about it. I have been on various websites including nursingcareers.ie, however, some personal views would be appreciated.

I am 33 year old man. My background was in construction till three years ago when i was made redundant which gave me the opportunity to do a fetac level 5 coarse in healthcare after which I gained full-time employment as a healthcare assistant in a nursing home. As a result I have developed an interest to further myself in the medical industry and would like to study nursing.
    Also I'm just wondering on how people financially go back as mature full time students, any information on the NCC written assessment.

any advice would be most appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

To apply as a mature student you need to apply through the CAO before the deadline with the relevant mature nursing codes. Once your application is complete the nursing career centre will send you out an introductory booklet about applying as a mature student. You will need to go for their aptitude test then in April as far as I remember. Your score from this will directly determine whether you get your first choice or not.

As for finances, it is possible to keep a part time job on weekends while studying , as a student nurse you will be eligible right away to do HCA work whether you have fetac level 5 or not. This allows for better paid part time work so that's very handy. You could see if the nursing home that you're working in will keep you on for weekends when you're studying. There is also BTEA if you are unemployed (which you have stated you are not) so that's not much help or the grant from your county council or county VEC. If you earn under a certain threshold you could be eligible for a maintenance grant or your registration fees to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shaz30

hello, new to boards. i have recently decided that i would like to do a general nursing course as i have worked in health care for 10 years so far. i would be applying as a mature student as i am 30. i have a young family and i was looking for feedback from other parents doing a course like this, can you study hard and juggle small children with family life? i have completed a pharmacy technician course but it was through distance learning and the papers i had to do and study sometimes was a challenge to get time. i have missed the cut off for cao so i have applied for a fetac nursing course instead. i am hoping that this will help me decide if nursing is for me. any feedback would be great!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭elainerut

hey, i'm a 29 yr old 3rd yr general student-on a yr out at mo as just had baby no 3 in july-and i manage fine with the family. support is the key, i'm very lucky that my hubby is fantastic, he sorts the kids out in the mornings so as i can get on with things. on the financial side of things, i qualified for btea and was also in receipt of the grant (you can only receive one or the other now)
    the ncc exam has changed since i done it, so no help to ye on that one!!!

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Maxiebaby

Hey just wondering if any of you got WIT for nursing this year? I've been offered General Nursing, I'm also 33, with 2 children..... I have just completed a FETAC level 5 in Nursing studies and I found that tough enough to juggle, however my hubby has been made redundant since so I am hopefull!:rolleyes:! that he'll sort the kids dinners etc so I can get on with it, I'll be traveling up and down to WIT every day (the reality of that is starting to sink in :eek:) but hey if I don't do something now I never will! :o found the fetac course took a lot of study and very intresting but worried that I might find the going very hard.....

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lc7777

i am praying that the colleges are more accomadating to mature students, i am sure they will be as they know people have kids etc!!! i have to keep a evening and weekend job and have hour and half commute every day, as no grant or anything so totally self funded and if no work no college!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 shaz30

so i am back on to say i am starting nursing studies plc next week! woo! im very excited and nervous...went for induction day and it was like starting secondary school all over again! i have organised my husband and kids for study times etc and they are very supportive. looking forward to getting going on this new journey...:)

anyone else starting this year?

Advertisement