Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Water

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

ben101 wrote: »
    As for the CWU rep its not a union matter so if he is not delivery staff he proabably wouldn't know anything about it.

He's delivery staff so yes he would know about it and believe me they are quick in his office to check the delivery terms ( whether they all have to be delivered that day or can be spread over 2 days ) when large mailings of items came into his office .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Who has told them? As already described, there is no logical reason for them to be returned.

I have been in touch with An Post about items of post addressed to the occupier etc they replied ...

" our staff cannot delay the delivery of mail items and must deliver all items of mail when possible."

(Tony Finn | Customer Services| An Post |Ground Floor | GPO | Dublin 1)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bagwanscottie

This is all getting a little muddled. What's happening here is that mail address to 'The Occupier' , of a block of flats for example, is imposible to deliver and gets returned to sender. All other mail gets delivered. It would be impossible to deliver one item marked 'The Occupier' to a 20 apartment building or 15 items to 20 apartment ansd work out who got what. Items marked 'The Occupier' to a regular address get delivered. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

This is all getting a little muddled. What's happening here is that mail address to 'The Occupier' , of a block of flats for example, is imposible to deliver and gets returned to sender. All other mail gets delivered. It would be impossible to deliver one item marked 'The Occupier' to a 20 apartment building or 15 items to 20 apartment ansd work out who got what. Items marked 'The Occupier' to a regular address get delivered. Simple.

As far as I can see, IW are using a variety of databases (including the LPT). Each of the letters would be addressed to a unit within the block e.g. 6 Water Towers. As each envelope has a unique address, I can't see why there would be a problem in delivery. The name is largely irrelevant once the address is correct.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Question: if a water meter was installed I presume it is visible to the householder?

Or could a meter be installed somewhere without the householder knowing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Question: if a water meter was installed I presume it is visible to the householder?

Or could a meter be installed somewhere without the householder knowing?

It's generally outside your property and on the pipe connecting your house to the main. You couldn't just locate it anywhere unless you reroute the incoming pipe.

However, I know of one street nearby where the meters are installed on a parallel street. So the folks on the other street have two meters outside their doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

Road near me has all the metres on one side. So two outside every house on one side, and none on the other side.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Also, they are using some with metal covers where they fall on a driveway so it might not look like a meter, and also need a special key to open it for inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Irish water running costs

Has anyone seen a breakdown of the costs of running IW?

As I see it, there are some capital costs eg 30 million to provide a plant in Leixlip providing 80 million litres per day
    And a cost of running the treatment plant

Then a general improving old and doddgy pipes cost
    A fixing burst mains cost

So assuming there is a will to actually fix mains, so they don't leak or burst,
    What is the expected running cost of IW likely to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Irish water running costs

Has anyone seen a breakdown of the costs of running IW?

As I see it, there are some capital costs eg 30 million to provide a plant in Leixlip providing 80 million litres per day
    And a cost of running the treatment plant

Then a general improving old and doddgy pipes cost
    A fixing burst mains cost

So assuming there is a will to actually fix mains, so they don't leak or burst,
    What is the expected running cost of IW likely to be?
    from figures that were mentioned last year, historically it was costing a shade over a billion a year to provide and pipe clean water, and treat the waste water, by local authorities.

Not sure of the breakdown in that is, but water of drinking quality most definitely is not readily available for "free" as many like to think.

Which of course anyone getting their water, metered and not free, off a group scheme for the past years would be more than aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I can find the overall budget, it's how much it costs to treat the water;
    How much to fix leaks;

So if in 10years we have modern pipes which won't burst, and are only using 50% of the water,
    What will the costs be?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

I can find the overall budget, it's how much it costs to treat the water;
    How much to fix leaks;

So if in 10years we have modern pipes which won't burst, and are only using 50% of the water,
    What will the costs be?

It will probably depend on how much debt the company still has from the debts it incurred to upgrade the system. Is part of the reasoning for the current structure to allow the company to borrow, but for the debts to stay off the National Debt?

Advertisement