Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

land beside old shopping centre

Options
  • 17-01-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

does anyone know who owns or is in charge of the place beside the old shopping centre where the circus usually sets up when in town? is it the council or were would ya go to enquire about it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I would assume it's still belong to Iarnrod Eireann ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Yip Tesco owns it along with the whole shopping center

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

With Pairc na Gael under 'reserve' too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Nesta99 wrote: »
    With Pairc na Gael under 'reserve' too

What ever happened with that deal Nesta? Last i heard was that the Gaels were offered serious money for the site.They identified a new spot up at/behind/close to Ladywell Terrace as their new home but apparanly that was marsh ground and nothing could be done on that site:confused: I cant remember,but i'm sure the truth lies somewere in between what i'm saying or maybe i'm wide of the mark with that gossip?

• Advertisement

What ever happened with that deal Nesta? Last i heard was that the Gaels were offered serious money for the site.They identified a new spot up at/behind/close to Ladywell Terrace as their new home but apparanly that was marsh ground and nothing could be done on that site:confused: I cant remember,but i'm sure the truth lies somewere in between what i'm saying or maybe i'm wide of the mark with that gossip?

The gales wanted to much money, So that deal fell flat on its arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The gales wanted to much money, So that deal fell flat on its arse.

It's this type of false statement that feeds rumours. :mad:

There were local objections to the proposed new development that the GAA Club was being offered as part of the deal and so it fell through.

The field is no longer under reserve by Tesco.
    {No personal involvement in the Club myself BTW}

Tesco own the unsed Car Park beside the Shopping Centre.

It's this type of false statement that feeds rumours. :mad:

There were local objections to the proposed new development that the GAA Club was being offered as part of the deal and so it fell through.

The field is no longer under reserve by Tesco.
    {No personal involvement in the Club myself BTW}

Tesco own the unsed Car Park beside the Shopping Centre.

its not a false statement.

Yes it is a false statement!

Few issues, the land behind Ladywell Terrace, called Balmers Bog is a designated nature area and therefore is unlikely to be developed due to the minefield of objections from various groups (consider the difficulties facing the development across from Dundalk Stadium), thus where else can Dundalk Gaels move to without infringing on other clubs' territory. Id have thought a move to the proposed DKIT stadium could be/have been a runner as tis neutral enough between Na Piarsaigh, Irelanders, and Geraldines and is still close enough to their traditional base. Also Mourneview - where the old opel garage is across from Ladywell i thought would have worked and cleaned up that mess and scumbag hangout and is across the road from current home??

Tesco were, and i presumed it was still the case, paying an annual fee to the Gaels to prevent the expansion of the Marshes into that area as much as wanting Pairc na Gael for actual development themselves. It wasnt a huge amount but nice for a club the size of the Gaels (5 figures).
    Anyhow the Gaels were offered a new ground, with a development far surperior to what they currently have + a few quid to sweeten things further. I doubt that offer would have been rejected if an alternative home could have been found. If it fell through i'm sure it was due to objections from within GAA circles.

These agreements must have expired (i am currently out of the loop due to being exiled up until recently). Current economic sh*te isnt conducive to the football pitch being coveted by either developer now.

To add to all of this is there not something where GAA HQ actually have ownership or some stake in club grounds therefore could claim a % of sale money - im not sure on this tbh though.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

so if you were interested in using the land would you contact tesco in the shopping centre directly or go through a head office?

• Advertisement

Id contact the centre manager if there is one, or enquire with the tesco store manager otherwise. Depending on what ye want it for and that there are no public liability issues, id say it could be available for use assuming rent isnt an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Nesta99 wrote: »
    ...if ... otherwise. Depending on ... id say ... assuming ...

I've pulled the above words out of Nesta's reply, not as any form of criticism of Nesta, but just to demonstrate the futility of the question. The original question was fair enough (who owns the land?) but once it was answered, it was totally pointless to ask here how to go about getting permission to use it. In the highly unlikely event of a person who has authority to give permission reading it, they're not going to give it (permission) here. Everybody else who reads it is, by definition, unable to answer the question, and can at best offer vague advice like Nesta did.

Trixiben: You know who owns the land now. Go ask them if you can use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

I've heard that Tesco were planning to build a temporary store on this site while they were redeveloping the Old Dundalk Shopping Centre.

Don't know how true this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

When are they planning on re-developing the Old Shopping Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

From what I heard they hope the knock it and build a new shopping unit on stilts with parking underneath, something like Clarehall in Dubaland I guess.

I think they have palnning, was in the papers last year but I'm sure somebody else on here knows more that I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

James__10 wrote: »
    When are they planning on re-developing the Old Shopping Centre?
    ASAP, once all appeals are out of the way, the shopping centre is getting really rundown now

I've pulled the above words out of Nesta's reply, not as any form of criticism of Nesta, but just to demonstrate the futility of the question. The original question was fair enough (who owns the land?) but once it was answered, it was totally pointless to ask here how to go about getting permission to use it. In the highly unlikely event of a person who has authority to give permission reading it, they're not going to give it (permission) here. Everybody else who reads it is, by definition, unable to answer the question, and can at best offer vague advice like Nesta did.

Trixiben: You know who owns the land now. Go ask them if you can use it!

I see your point Lm but i think you are being overfussy on some principled basis. If Trixiben needs spoonfeeding so be it! Maybe if i had started my post with 'if i were you i'd find out if there is a store manager etc..'

In fear of the wrath of Loco 'id presume' that the demolition of the petrol garage and the ground works going that major work will follow suit. It makes sense that to keep trading that Tesco will build half the development then move into it before the rest of the shopping centre is demolished for the second phase to begin. The shops still open in the centre will get units in the new place.

Advertisement