Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic Design in Melbourne

Options
  • 18-01-2012 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hey,

I've read through every imaginable post in this forum and can't seem to find any relevant info on my topic so posting a thread :o

Basically I'm a graphic designer, 5 years exp, 28 yrs old and have friends in Melbourne. Am planning to move over early 2013 and would love love LOVE to hear anyone's experiences re: this field. I've been researching the market for jobs and doing a comparative analysis with my cv/portfolio and I'm quite positive with regards my ability. What would really help is hearing any advice from Irish ppl who went to Melb for design work, re: portfolios, chances of sponsorship on a WHV, anything really!!

Have subscribed to a few relevant blogs to soak up as much info as possible.
    Even if you could link me to a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend who's worked/working in the industry I'd be really appreciative :p

Many many thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Lush Puppy

nothing? :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

2 years ago, an Australian pal moved from Sydney to Melbourne as graphic designer. Don't know too much about his role but he lasted less than a year. He had about 15years experience and the job was in South Yarra. Admittedly there was a bit of a lull in a lot of sectors around that time so there was a drop in advertising, which meant he had a huge workload as they fired less qualifieds.
    He hated work in Melb. Moved back to Sydney and found a great job after 2 months back there.
    He seemed to think it was a better market for creatives in Sydney, more job choice and a bigger scene.
    To be honest, don't limit yourself to Melbourne alone

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Killian1

hey,
    Im working in a design role in Perth. Its not specifically graphic design but furniture/industrial design. There is an element of graphic design to it but its a small part. I got sponsored after arriving on a WHV and the company sponsors lots of people as it is to there advantage,at the moment I'm trying to get PR sorted out. Theres often jobs cropping up in the area from time to time. Keep an eye on www.seek.com.au. Theres also http://www.wjobs.com.au and http://westjobs.com.au/ which are specific to WA but im sure Melbourne has an equivilant. Heres two other design associations which might be of interest
    www.agda.com.au
    http://www.dia.org.au/

not sure what other information you need, but this might help some bit.

Advertisement