Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you Buy Tesco value products or equivelant ( like Dunnes )?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    No, I find their products are below standard for sub humans similiar to that lovely KVI brand that disappeared along time ago.

I like to purchase the brands that I am familiar with that have gone to the trouble of using vibrant eye catching packaging.

Don't get me wrong I'll go for the deals.

Has aynone ever used the "clubcards" I have one for Tesco, Dunnes & M&S
    I've been having them scanned every purchase for years but have never done anything with the cards.

What are they for and what can I get for 5+ yrs of scanning the card but never using it spending roughly 120+ a week on food if not more ??

You're doing it wrong...

I get vouchers every 3 months? Got up to e30 before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Acacia wrote: »
    Ha! Yeah, I think it just works on a subconcious level cause the packaging is so horrible, the customer assumes the product will also be awful.

What I dislike most about 'Tesco Value' and similar ranges is when they're blatantly ripping something off they won't even bother to give it a decent new name they'll, just describe what it is , like Value Hula Hoops are just "Flavoured Potato Rings". Depressing :pac:

I do have a weird thing though where I feel sorry for inferior products, like the afore-mentioned potato rings, so I'll buy them out of sympathy. I just think they're trying to be as good as the real thing, but they just can't do it. I imagine they have low self-esteem and I want to help them out (yes, I'm crazy, don't judge me). it's kinda like a pity-fcuk but with shopping.... a pity-purchase!

Sometimes I'll see a really-cheap looking product from a no-name company that has big-brand rivals, and I'll think of all the people involved in creating and packaging the product, and imagine how sad they must feel knowing they can't compete with the big names and feel sorry for them.
    Though I can't say my sympathy often leads to a pity-purchase!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Birneybau wrote: »
    You're doing it wrong...

I get vouchers every 3 months? Got up to e30 before.

3 months is correct. I only have a tesco clubcard, and I find it pretty damn handy to have with the clubcard deals they do. In the last 6 months I've exchanged clubcard vouchers for €10 Milanos token, Free Dublin zoo tickets, and a winter service voucher with Advance Pitstop. Not too shabby :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I miss KVI and Yellowpack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Sometimes I'll see a really-cheap looking product from a no-name company that has big-brand rivals, and I'll think of all the people involved in creating and packaging the product, and imagine how sad they must feel knowing they can't compete with the big names and feel sorry for them.
    Though I can't say my sympathy often leads to a pity-purchase!

Ha, that's exactly what I do, everybody I've told about it thinks I'm crazy! At least you have the restraint not to pity-purchase- I'll just bring home any auld inferior product!;)

Sometimes i go one step further and actually personify the product... like Mr. Flavoured-Potato-Ring feels really sh1tty next to Mr.Hula-Hoop. I just want to make the underdog feel good about himself, ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Interesting list in the op of this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70930797

I have no real brand loyalty,especially these days.When you realise who makes the own label stuff it can be an eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Acacia wrote: »
    Ha, that's exactly what I do, everybody I've told about it thinks I'm crazy! At least you have the restraint not to pity-purchase- I'll just bring home any auld inferior product!;)

Sometimes i go one step further and actually personify the product... like Mr. Flavoured-Potato-Ring feels really sh1tty next to Mr.Hula-Hoop. I just want to make the underdog feel good about himself, ha!

My strongest emotional reaction to bargain products is reserved for knock-offs, particularly of kids' toys.
    I get so depressed when I see the obvious rip-off action figure of the latest kids' cartoon craze in a pound shop, or see some little boy wearing a fake Man. United jersey.

I feel sorry for the company who obviously can't be making that much money from them.

I feel sorry for the parents who don't know it's a knock-off or, worse, do know but can't afford the real deal.

But most of all, I feel sorry for the kids who have to pretend they love this crappy thing they know is fake to spare their parents' feelings! Especially in the case of fake jerseys, which they have to parade around in public.

Man I'm depressed now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭yellow hen

gurramok wrote: »
    Tesco milk does be good, the quality has come a long way over the years. I actually find it lasts fresher in the fridge than some of the main brands.

Has the NDC mark aswell which most own brands don't have.[/Quote]

The 1 litres are ndc but I think the 2litres are not.

yellow hen wrote: »

The 1 litres are ndc but I think the 2litres are not.

I would only ever buy 2 litres and they definitely are

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i used to buy the tesco value bumwad cause i dont see the point in payng over the odds just to wipe my brenda. now i just but it in bulk in musgraves

i still buy the value bran flakes cause they are lovely and the value coke is very nice too

Advertisement