Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Portable landline phone

Options
  • 18-01-2012 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I have a Panasonic walkabout landline phone. I am unable to use it as the is a lot of interference caused by my Broadband Router. I discovered this by a process of elimination, i.e, pulling out Broadband line while on phone and hey presto, no interference. Can any Techie out there help me with this problem, or what's causing the blip? Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Do you have a broadband filter on your phone line?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DanFWalsh

Thank you God's toy for reply, I don't know, what is a filter, or how would I recognise it, should I change router?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What you have is what's known as a cordless phone. If it's Panasonic there is probably a channel setting in the base unit and handheld unit which can be changed in order to eliminate interference with nearby units.

Check the two units, you'll probably see an A/B/C setting and as long as the base unit and handheld are set to the same channel, the system will work no problem. Experiment to see if changing the channel will get around the problem you're having.

Last time I had a Panasonic cordless unit, the channel switch on the handheld unit was just below the earpiece, behind the plastic strip covering the piece of paper where you wrote the phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I've recently started to have a similar problem with a Panasonic Dect cordless phone, the base unit has been in the same position, about 2ft. away from my wireless router for the last 18 months and before a month ago I never had any problems.

But then out of the blue I started to get bad "radio interference" on the phone.

Anyway seeing your post inspired me to try and find a solution, so I got a 15ft. telephone extension cable and moved the base station so that it is now about 12ft. away from my wireless router.

It hasn't totally cured the problem but it is 95% better now than yesterday. I still get a little intermittent interference but even that is not as strong as it was before.

I'd suggest that you try to do something similar.

It might not be related but I remember reading recently that we are now around the peak of the 11 year cycle of sunspot activity which has a large influence on radio reception, perhaps that has something to do with the sensitivity to interference?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DanFWalsh

Thanks guys for reply, I think I've solved problem, got on to Eircom Tech. Support Division, the guy there suggested I put a filter on both Router and Base station, which I did, there was a filter on the Router, didn't know what a filter was until I looked in my spares box. So I have 2 filters fitted. Perfect reception now. Thanks again for taking trouble to reply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement