Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help picking a router

Options
  • 18-01-2012 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Currently a Customer of upc 20mbs broadband. The netgear router they sent out about 5 years ago packed it in so I need to pick up a new one.

I'm just wondering will any router plug into the modem I have? In particular I'm looking at this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002YETVTQ?qid=1326848527&sr=8-4 ?

Any help would be appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Yes, any router should work with it, I presume you have the old Scientific Atlantic UPC modem.

Have a look for the Cisco E4200. It's a brilliant router. Here's a link to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I'm in the same boat as OP, I was looking at this TRENDnet router, but that Cisco one you linked looks very good.

My two main requirements are range of the signal and compatible with PS3. The Cisco marketing blurb says it works with PS3, my one concern would be with the internal antenna, what do people think of them? are they as effective as the likes of the TRENDnet router which has three external aerials?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

I use 2 xboxes and a ps3 on the e4200 and all of the consoles work flawlessly, all are on open NAT straight out of the box. The signal strength is as good as if the antennae we on the outside, there isn't a very noticeable difference. I've tried to see how far i can connect to the router, i've tested connecting from our shed, which is about 30 meters from the modem, and i've got 3/5 bars

Advertisement