Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owayn's Can't Sleep Reading Log

Options
  • 18-01-2012 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭

First up is a re-read of a classic Terry Pratchett book featuring possible the best group of recurring characters, the city watch.

The book is the second int their series within a series, Men At Arms.

A nob discovers that the old royal line is still going strong and looks to rework the social order to include kings again. He using a 'gonne' to try an achieve this.

I think this is one of the best discworld books, mainly because the cast is so strong. We have Gaspode the wonder dog, Death and the new watch characters - Deitrus, Angua and the originals Vimes, Carrot, Nobbes and Colon.

Only about 80 pages in at the moment and it's the first time I've read it in like ten years. I think it might awaken a Terry Pratchett spree, as I'm already eying up All Gods.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Also struggling through The City and The City by China Meiville, about 70 pages in.

Cannot grasp why I can't just start reading it at my regular pace.

Its my first Meiville novel and hopefully not the last as I ordered Perdido Street Station the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I forgot who the killer was in Men at Arms! My memory is useless.

Overall a food Terry Pratchett book. Vimes isn't really Vimes yet and for a Watch book he wasn't in that much compared to the later books. It's seems like the first few watch books were more of an ensemble piece and in later books Vimes is the main card, Snuff really shows this.
    Best scene is the one with Deitrus in the pork futures warehouse.

Up next Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett. Looks like I'm on a Pratchett marathon after the slight disappointment that was Snuff.
    Going to try read Chris Beckett's 'Dark Eden' as well.

Advertisement