Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite/The best Irish song?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

The solo in Emerald by thin lizzy makes me orgasm every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭migemo

Beautiful affair by Stockton's Wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

The green fields of france, as sang by Finbarr Furey.
    I'm not a big fan of that type of music, but that song is nothing short of a masterpiece!

Although synonomous with Irish trad, that song was written by a Scotsman called Eric Bogle. It's original title is No Man's Land. Bogle also wrote And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda, which I'm sure is another favourite among trad enthusiasts.

For me, any song sang by Luke Kelly is a masterpiece. He was simply a vocal genius. I wish he was alive during my lifetime. Some of my favourite songs that he sings are Monto, Hand Me Down My Bible and On Raglan Road. I seem to switch favourite song every few months and listen to it ad nauseum, but at the moment it's The Town I Loved So Well, originally written by Phil Coulter. Such a powerful song, that's universal and can relate to so many, beyond what it's portraying. There have been many great singers in the world, but I think Luke Kelly trumps the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭johnny_cash

I was drinking with 4 other lads in a pub in manchester a few years ago.The pub was packed and had a jukebox in it which nobody was using.My mate went over and turned that on lol we couldn't keep the locals off the jukebox after that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Here's one you might not know by name, but have a listen - an Irish classic for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    For me, any song sang by Luke Kelly is a masterpiece. He was simply a vocal genius. I wish he was alive during my lifetime.
    I used to see him on Upper Leeson Street in the early 1970s (I worked there.) I think he lived in Dartmouth Square.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

have this on repeat at the moment.Probably not the best Irish song ever though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Still get goose bumps. Joe Mcdonnell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybcgc8BQlQQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

Oops you're right. It was an English couple, June and Phil Colclough. Could have sworn it was a Scotsman!

It's about Ireland though!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

"I remember that summer in Dublin,
    And the Liffey as it stank like hell,
    And young people walking down Grafton Street,
    Everyone looking so well.
    I was singing a song I heard somewhere,
    Called 'Rock'n'Roll Never Forgets',
    When my humming was smothered by the 46A and the scream of a low flying jet
    So, I jumped on a bus to Dun Laoghaire, stopping off to pick up my guitar,
    When a drunk on a bus told me how to get rich, I was glad we weren't going too far.
    ."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I hope this worked ok (never posted a You Tube clip before). Anyway Peggy Gordan is my favourite Irish song because by Dad used to sing it to me when I was young.

I've seen Teenage Kicks mentioned on this thread and from an adult :cool: point of view I do love this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Well it was never gonna be the Virgin Prunes for you was it, tish ... ;- ;-

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Well it was never gonna be the Virgin Prunes for you was it, tish ... ;- ;-

Ok you're freaking me out now. How well do you know me???:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 phurryphace

The Island

• Advertisement

Paz-CCFC wrote: »

For me, any song sang by Luke Kelly is a masterpiece. He was simply a vocal genius. I wish he was alive during my lifetime. Some of my favourite songs that he sings are Monto, Hand Me Down My Bible and On Raglan Road. I seem to switch favourite song every few months and listen to it ad nauseum, but at the moment it's The Town I Loved So Well, originally written by Phil Coulter. Such a powerful song, that's universal and can relate to so many, beyond what it's portraying. There have been many great singers in the world, but I think Luke Kelly trumps the lot.

I agree and it is great to see post likes yours. Luke Kelly was such a great singer maybe not in the conventional way but it is hard to fault with a vocal prefomance of his. It is something that should be remembered and celebrated as part of our culture/heritage. One of favourite songs of his is Scorn not his Simplicity, maybe not very PC in this day and age of ours but it is such a powerful song (lyrics by Phil Coutler).

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_YaD83detU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Joe McDonald

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

kincsem wrote: »
    I used to see him on Upper Leeson Street in the early 1970s (I worked there.) I think he lived in Dartmouth Square.

Just in passing or would you get to see him play as part of your job?

I love being 20, but if there'd be one reason that I wish I was born 20-40 years earlier, it'd be so I could've had the chance to see Luke play in the flesh.

TishyO wrote: »
    I agree and it is great to see post likes yours. Luke Kelly was such a great singer maybe not in the conventional way but it is hard to fault with a vocal prefomance of his. It is something that should be remembered and celebrated as part of our culture/heritage. One of favourite songs of his is Scorn not his Simplicity, maybe not very PC in this day and age of ours but it is such a powerful song (lyrics by Phil Coutler).

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_YaD83detU

That's another fantastic song. I don't see what's very un-PC about it.

I think that Luke Kelly and Phil Coulter were a great team. Phil is a fantastic lyrical wordsmith and can write extraodinary songs. Luke could bring them to life and make the lyrics more powerful than could be thought possible.

Is there anything around Dublin (or the rest of Ireland) named after Luke? Any concert halls or opera houses? Or are there any statues of him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Declan O'Rourke, Galileo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I don't like this music, I just wanted to throw a spanner in the works, they are Irish like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Tombo2000

I couldnt say what the best is, or even what my favourite is.

But if I was to name one utterly brilliant Irish song deserves to be listened to a lot more than it is, that would be:

Dr Millar, St Stephen.

Couldnt even find a youtube version.

Though Pearl on Phantom did play it a few weeks back; hats off Pearl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

How oft do my thoughts in their fancy take flight
    To the home of my childhood away,
    To the days when each patriot's vision seem'd bright
    Ere I dreamed that those joys should decay.
    When my heart was as light as the wild winds that blow
    Down the Mardyke through each elm tree,
    Where I sported and play'd 'neath each green leafy shade
    On the banks of my own lovely Lee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Advertisement