Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neogaf's videogame soundtracks of the year

Options
  • 18-01-2012 4:39am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Thought this would give some food for thought and discussion. Really good list I have to say and great to see Xenoblade rate so highly. Can agree with all the choices although one glaring omission is the Tactics Ogre soundtrack.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459262

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Phew thought Catherine hadn't made the list for a second there! Thought the music fit the game perfectly. Didn't expect anything less from Shoji Meguro though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Some great soundtracks in there, although i've not listed to quite a few of them. Will give me something to listen to in work today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Needs more VVVVVV

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Love the Xenoblade soundtrack, but this is my favorite track of the past year. A masterpiece imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭BeefyS

same. I really loved the Deus Ex soundtrack. just been listening to a few xenogears songs too, really good, inspiring me to get the game now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've not played the gae yet but the Deus Ex soundtrack really is something else, probably soundtrack of the year for me.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've not played the gae yet but the Deus Ex soundtrack really is something else, probably soundtrack of the year for me.

I've not played it either but it features some of the most breathtaking compositions I've heard within a game. Some that sound like they should be in an Oscar winning film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No Child of Eden?!

Haven't played the top two yet, but the Zelda score is divine, especially the romance theme!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I've not played it either but it features some of the most breathtaking compositions I've heard within a game. Some that sound like they should be in an Oscar winning film.

I'm sick of games trying to ape film scores and when not done by a really amazing composer they all sound generic. Think Deus Ex stands out with it's own identity. It's a bit Vangelis but not quite, the only piece of music that Ithink it resembles is an obscure saturn game called Baroque and even then it's very different, which is what I like about it.
    No Child of Eden?!

Yep that's a pretty big omission

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

No love for MW3, thought Brian Tyler did a good job on it, its not a patch on Hans Zimmer's MW2 score but it has its moments.

Skyrim and Deus Ex are the years best for me, listen to both of them constantly.

• Advertisement

It was just generic hollywood bombast with no standout tracks at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Shame on them for not putting Rayman Origins' soundtrack higher. I'm just glad that we have at least one game that doesn't have an overblown orchestra providing the music.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep that's a pretty big omission

While most of the other soundtracks are great, Child of Eden is the only one that actively involves the player in the music. Indeed, it's well beyond even Guitar Hero or Rock Band in terms of musical interaction. The last level was such a transcendent clash of sound, visuals and gameplay that it propels the soundtrack into the realms of timelessness. Nothing came close.

That said, serious goosebumps on Christmas Day when this kicked off:

Was listening to the Bastion Soundtrack today as I'd not heard any of it before those posted in the link in the OP, but track 4 (below) I noticed a tune that I'd heard it ages ago on a Five US ident...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I like this track, plays during the plane crash mission, a lot of it is generic but it suits the on screen action, which is also generic :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Deus Ex 3 and Bastion have two of the best soundtracks I've heard in years. Skyrim does a good job, the music has much more flavour than Oblivion did, although it feels like half the good tracks were just taken from Morrowind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The music that played
    when price and Yuri jumped out of the van in juggernaut armour
    was ****ing epic. Really got the blood pumping for what was to come. Still my favourite game ending of the past year.

EDIT: Found it. You really need to be unloading a light machine on some guys to appreciate it fully :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Deus Ex is my number 1, this song is just portrays the game so perfectly to me, and it's a cracking bit of composition! Love listening to it on my Sony in-ear headphones, as they have extra bass!

Advertisement