Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have we hit rock bottom?

Options
  • 18-01-2012 5:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭

Lots of people applying for mortgages.

What do you guys think 2012 holds?

😎

Have we hit the bottom? Residential property to decrease.. 163 votes

More then 10%
    0% 0 votes
    Decrease but no more then 10%
    82% 135 votes
    Stablise at current levels.
    12% 21 votes
    House prices to rise.
    4% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Nobody has a feckin clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

prices will fall for another 5-10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

No way have we hit bottom, and it will be several years before we do.

Even to-day, for instance, rent subsidy for those on low income / social welfare was cut pretty drastically. This will affect approx. 96,000 households, and ultimately their landlords, who will either have to reduce the rent charged or seek new tenants.

Lower rent subsidy >> lower capacity of a large number of households to pay rent, combined with an over-supply of rental properties in most areas >> fall in average rent >> further downward pressure on property prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Lots of people applying for mortgages

How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No one knows , Who cares ? Tune in next week to the zany threads of 'have we hit rock bottom'.....

*find out what happens next week by staring into the crystal ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Improbable wrote: »
    Nobody has a feckin clue.

I disagree - prices 99.99% certain to continue dropping this year, has been discussed at great length on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Brendan O'Connor hasn't voted yet i see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Look at it from a logical point of view. Unemployment and emigration is still increasing, banks are not lending, more taxes and levys on the way in the next few budgets, it's inevitable that CPA will have to go and if it doesn't then cuts will be made once expired, so civil servants will have less income, income tax will rise in next few budgets, water, fuel & household charges will leave people with less disposable income, a lot of uncertainty in the markets with a lot of economists forecasting the end of the euro.

Rock bottom is not even close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

gurramok wrote: »
    How do you know?

http://www.ftadviser.com/2012/01/18/mortgages/mortgage-data/mab-mortgage-applications-up-per-cent-6g6vhRPbi73A56GbvyMpYJ/article.html

Mortgage applications up in 2011 and for first few weeks of 2012, however nobody said anything about approvals going up;) Banks won't lend until prices bottom off, sadly thats up to them, chicken and egg.

😎

http://www.ftadviser.com/2012/01/18/mortgages/mortgage-data/mab-mortgage-applications-up-per-cent-6g6vhRPbi73A56GbvyMpYJ/article.html

Mortgage applications up in 2011 and for first few weeks of 2012, however nobody said anything about approvals going up;) Banks won't lend until prices bottom off, sadly thats up to them, chicken and egg.

That's in the UK!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

That's in the UK!

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Good research

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

With at least another three years of cuts and tax hikes it would seem unlikely that their would be a increased demand for mortgages to justify prices bottoming out. Plus, its becoming more and more obvious to people of my generation(20-30) that buying a house is not the guaranteed investment that everybody always assumed it was.

right guys understood i made a mistake, big deal, build a bridge and get back on topic!! If everyone was so smart the market wouldn't have crashed. Bet ye were not as quick to point out your own mistakes then:D

The important fact is 80% of applications are refused. People want to buy, the banks don't let them. So whats the point in applying, so really the application stat is irrelevant, the stat of approvals is the important one.

For the record applications were up about 4 or 5 % in 2011.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

i see alot of people are going back to living in mobile homes, as house prices are still a rip off they are bricks and mortar a place to sleep in i think its still over looked by greed

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's impossible to say really. Availability of mortgages and household budgets appear to remain constrained for the next few years anyway, so who knows?

There is talk of "pent-up demand" that would be released if the banks were free to lend, but people are still making the mistake in thinking that mortgages will be handed out like sweets as they were before. Even if the banks make more capital available to lend as mortgages, there's nothing to say that they won't lend at more sane levels which don't meet asking prices.

I do know one thing though anecdotally - there are still plenty of of people in the 25-35 age bracket who are sitting it out at present, but who don't want to be renting for the rest of their life. Renting is still not seen as a long-term thing by many Irish, probably due to our tradition of wanting to own, and our poor tenancy laws.
    Though they may have no choice except to rent in the long-term.

The important fact is 80% of applications are refused. People want to buy, the banks don't let them. So whats the point in applying, so really the application stat is irrelevant, the stat of approvals is the important one.

For the record applications were up about 4 or 5 % in 2011.

Source? ;):)

Anyway, that 80% refusal rate is from here. http://budget.breakingnews.ie/?jp=eyidkfkfmhql&c=ireland&h=lenders-rejecting-id-out-of-kfau-home-loans
    The Professional Insurance Brokers Association (PIAB) said the main reasons clients were refused mortgages was because 35% of applicants had no savings, 32% did not qualify for the amount required, there were fears over job security for 29% while another 29% had a bad credit history.

Down to the individual as I can see there rather than the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭pavb2

Some good points and that's it, are we any better off than we were 3 years ago?

24/7 media coverage of economic debate, insightful opinions etc etc.

IMF & Euro bail out,bank bail out,austerity measures, change of Govt and we still don't know if the worst is over or yet to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Nobody knows when. But when we do, as the economy recovers, it will be enough irish people back in to stabilize the prices. Then foreign investors will be looking at the rate of increase in prices and start to buy property here. There will be a tipping point where they pile in and prices rocket again. Eventually there will be another recesion and the merry go round goes around again.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

zef wrote: »
    Brendan O'Connor hasn't voted yet i see.

Oh Yes he has!

• Advertisement

Down to the individual as I can see there rather than the banks.

It is very easy for the bank to say that now. Almost any job can be regarded as having job security fees, I have a family member who's large multi-national company with 13 directors is now down to 5, nobody is safe.

Secondly what exactly is a bad credit rating, when you don't want to loan people money. I over used my credit card last year in france and got charged 8 euro fine for the privilege, that probably counts me out of the "select" few.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Not even close. Wait till NAMA starts to offload its portfolio.

It is very easy for the bank to say that now. Almost any job can be regarded as having job security fees, I have a family member who's large multi-national company with 13 directors is now down to 5, nobody is safe.

Secondly what exactly is a bad credit rating, when you don't want to loan people money. I over used my credit card last year in france and got charged 8 euro fine for the privilege, that probably counts me out of the "select" few.

As for multi-nationals, can you elaborate on that family member? Are they a director? It sounds an extreme case.

The general case is that if you have been in a permo job for at least a year and not in a vulnerable sector(construction etc), you should be ok. A colleague of mine a got a mortgage last year while in the IT sector, he's been in his job for at least 5 yrs who obviously didnt borrow beyond his means. And yes nobody is safe, a bank would not really know that outside the vulnerable sectors.

As for the CC, you should really know to be careful on it as any mortgage application will be scrutinised for prudence. If you're worried, get a credit check from the ICB http://www.icb.ie/. 6 euro fee to put your mind at rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I cant see a reason for prices to stop dropping any time soon. Even when they do, its likely they will remain stagnant for a few more years, if they do in reality they will still be dropping, as inflation will continue but house prices wont rise.

When we do hit rock bottom, you will only realise it in a thread called "did we hit rock bottom 8 months ago?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

right guys understood i made a mistake, big deal, build a bridge and get back on topic!! If everyone was so smart the market wouldn't have crashed. Bet ye were not as quick to point out your own mistakes then:D

manyy,many people on boards.ie pointed out the scam that was the "celtic tiger". they were told to go commit suicide, by our prime-minister!!!.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Then foreign investors will be looking at the rate of increase in prices and start to buy property here. There will be a tipping point where they pile in and prices rocket again.

foreign investors woud'nt touch anything here with a 40 foot pole, or wont for many a long day. the balance has shifted,the circus has upped and left and will be very,very slow in returning. they're minds are focussed elsewhere now,mainly the East.
    no piont in deluding ourselves...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 BowlingLad

As for the CC, you should really know to be careful on it as any mortgage application will be scrutinised for prudence. If you're worried, get a credit check from the ICB http://www.icb.ie/. 6 euro fee to put your mind at rest.

Dd not know of that facility. that is useful.

Washman3 makes a valid point.Dubai and Doha is where things are movng.However that will also not last. 3 or 4 oil rich countries running their own airlines and building the tallest buildings in a how big is your dick competition, unsustainable.

Learn chinese if you want to make some real money, but then again they say the chinese growth will hault soon too.:o

Cheers gurramok, will pay the 6 euro, hopefully the card wont bounce back.

My point was though that any excuse will do, of the 20% of loans they allowed I bet they didnt offer many of them their requested amount!

In the good times the attitude to a few credit card issues would have been"ah sure dont worry about that, sure you can pay all that off with this money anyway....sign there.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A "hitting the bottom" thread would never be complete without wild speculation and calculations based on huge assumptions.

In 2007, the average disposable income (income after tax) per couple was €47,988. The average house asking price was €370,000. Assuming a 92% mortgage, the banks were lending money at a rate of roughly 7:1 between income after tax and the mortgage amount.

The average disposable income per couple in 2010 stood at 44,336. Assuming a drop of 7.5% in 2011 between taxes and wage cuts, the average gross income per couple is probably around €41k. The average house asking price is €179,080.

Anecdotally bank are providing at most 85% of the finance and lending about 3.5 times your disposable income. This means that your couple in 2011 with €41k to spend, can borrow at most about €143k to buy a house for ~€169k. This falls about 5% short of the average asking price.

However, it does require a couple to have substantial savings - I don't know anyone with €25k sitting in a bank account - and tighter lending rules mean that they would both need to be in stable jobs over a longer period of time. Which means that on average a new borrower cannot borrow enough to meet the average asking price, and the pool of available borrowers is massively reduced.

So to further speculate wildly, property needs to drop at least another 5% before it becomes "affordable" again. However with taxes going up and wages going down, it's still a race to the bottom. By the time prices have dropped another 5%, there is less income available to meet this price.
    Plus, house prices will probably dip below the "bottom" before correcting. So you're looking at a minimum drop of another 10-15% before people's borrowings can meet what sellers are asking.

Add in a two-year lead time for people to scrape together sizeable deposits, and you're talking about a "bottom" sometime early next year followed by stabilisation/return to normal lending/growth around 2014/2015

/end wild speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Anyone see this last night...

House Prices: How low will yours go?
    Tune in Wednesday at 10pm on TV3

Hilarious stuff....two fat cats with flashy watches and flashy cheap suits telling people to buy now and house prices will rise again soon.

While the other guy sitting on the couch who is a financial expert started shaking his head furiously nearly laughing at this idiot...saying it will in his honest opinion be another 3/4 years before any real stability happens.

How could TV3 have to CEO's from these two sham estate agencies with vested interest with personal property portfolios give out bad advice like that.

Advertisement