Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training for Half Marathon

Options
  • 18-01-2012 9:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I would consider myself relatively fit. 5'10", 70kg 29 year old male. I go to the gym usually 3 times per week, for 90 mins each time..a mix of threadmill (8-10km run or HIIT) and weights (mix of machines and loose)

I've signed up to the half Connemarathon and so want to take my running more seriously. I'm trying to make out a training plan.

How does this sound?

Monday: HIIT (20 mins, 5km) followed by some weights
    Tuesday: 8km run on threadmill followed by weights
    Wednesday: 12km run outdoor
    Thursday: HIIT plus weights
    Friday: Swim
    Sat or Sun: 10km outdoor

The run is on April 1st so I plan to increase my Wednesday long run by 0.5-1km each week.

Does this sound like too much (or too little)?

My diet is good although I tend to binge drink on a Saturday night (and maybe a few guinness on Sunday for the cure). Will be cutting down on this closer to race.

Thanks for any advice/constructive criticism/tips!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

Hey i'm in the same boat as you. just signed up for the half. really looking forward to it.
    I suppose the 1st bit of advice is stop thinking in terms of kms. get into the mindset of mile. I know it a silly but the race is 13.1 miles all markings are in miles, maybe its just me!
    Again i'm only a newbie at this and prob giving the wrong advice but maybe ditch the gym and work exclusively on the road. gym running is very different to the road.
    also i think its all about hill when running if you can find a good hilly course (dundrum/Goatstown/Killmacud are quiet hilly) you be flying
    also maybe shorten runs during the week and increase the miles at the weekend.
    my plan is
    Mon 3.3m as fast as possible, plenty of hills. (increasing to 5.5m over 10 weeks)
    Tues 5.5m hilly course try to increase to 8m over 10 weeks
    Wed Astro
    Thurs Footy Training
    Fri rest
    Sat 8m (increasing to 12m over the course of the 10 week plan.)
    Sun rest

thats only a rough guide to my plan but i'm basically doing a 13 week plan increasing miles per week from 1 week 1 to 36 week 13.

any suggestion for a seasoned pro on my routine??

Advertisement