Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

substitute teaching

• 18-01-2012 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine in college wants to earn a little money subbing short term. Is this possible? They were thinking of covering sick leave and looking for anything from a day or two to a week or two.
    They have a dip. Do they also need to be registered with the TC?
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know it will depend on what subjects and so forth he has, but from personal experience, I wouldn't expect much in terms of sub work; I've been sending CVs around for 18 months now and can tell you sub work is not easy to come by right now. You've got every newly qualified teacher in the country who hasn't emigrated or moved job sectors looking for sub work, so the chances of earning some money in the short term seems slim....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

new regs at moment mean we cannot employ anyone not registered with the TC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

If your friend is serious about teaching they need to register and start looking for fulltime work... If theyre doing a masters they need to get a CV ready for jobs that will start been advertised in June for September start

Substitution doesnt exist anymore... teachers in the school will very few hours are getting most of the subbing hours... With the exception of sick leave and maternity leave, where competition is very tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

lestat21 wrote: »
    If your friend is serious about teaching they need to register and start looking for fulltime work... If theyre doing a masters they need to get a CV ready for jobs that will start been advertised in June for September start

Substitution doesnt exist anymore... teachers in the school will very few hours are getting most of the subbing hours... With the exception of sick leave and maternity leave, where competition is very tough.

I was under the impression that there was site where you register for substitute work. In our school if a teacher is out for more than a day an outsider is brought in, but I never asked how they got the job, (sometimes its a relative of the principal or vice principal, but sin sceal eile). Maybe they just sent in cold cvs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

In our school there is very little outsider substitution work. There are so many of us not on full time contracts that it takes a large amount of teachers absent to come close to getting us all on full hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

In our school there is very little outsider substitution work. There are so many of us not on full time contracts that it takes a large amount of teachers absent to come close to getting us all on full hours

so an insider covers a teacher for up to a week?
    I worked in a school once where teacher were not allowed to supervise free classes. this was given to hall monitors who would even sometimes try to teach, although not really their remit.It led to a lot resentment between the two groups.

Advertisement