Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you wear clothing with the British Flag on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nodin wrote: »
    You haven't answered the question. Would you wear Republican symbols?
    I don't think you're comparing like with like - the union jack isn't just about historical oppression. I personally associate it with mod culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't think you're comparing like with like - the union jack isn't just about historical oppression. I personally associate it with mod culture.

Indeed, my post was a reply aimed directly at Nodin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

LordSutch wrote: »
    The Union Flag is the flag of the United Kingdom, and as such it appears on items/produce made and/or produced in the UK. Food packaging, Car bodies, Van's & Lorries, Engines, Buses, Motorcycle frames, Bicycles, Clothing, Coats, Jackets, Knickers, Trainers, Bags, Shoes & Hats, you get the picture . . . It appears on many things that we in Ireland buy in the shops, and yet there are those here on this forum who will make an issue out of the fact that a UK flag label/sticker may be on a given product !!!

Oh look, there's a British flag/label on my boxers, 'Help', cut it off now, no feck it, don't buy it "WHY"? because its got a British Flag on the label :(

Emm, no people are saying that they wouldnt wear a union jack on their clothes, which is very different. I wouldn't wear lots of symbols including the union flag, a peace symbol, a nazi swastika, a soviet hammer and sickle, and american flag, a french flag, actually nearly any flag bar (pun) black flags' logo, a red poppy, edelweis, red ribbons, white ribbbons, blue/white/yellow wristbands, white/red/green laces in me docks because none of them are my gig. If they are your gig that's fine but don't go blaming other people when you're misunderstood for wearing it in the wrong place and context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I don't think you're comparing like with like - the union jack isn't just about historical oppression.

...to some, it is. If you were a kenyan getting the shite knocked out of you in the 1950's, or some lad from Aden who lost people during their liberation struggle, you wouldn't necessarily have Paul Weller at the forefront of your mind when you saw it.

I personally associate it with mod culture.

Thats f***king worse.

I see a nice shirt in a shop and I go "oh thats nice" then I see the ben shermen logo and my inner rocker kicks in and I drop it back on the rack in disgust. f****kin mods. Hairdryer riding posers :pac:

I don't think you're comparing like with like - the union jack isn't just about historical oppression.

...to some, it is. If you were a kenyan getting the s[SIZE="2"]hit[/SIZE]e knocked out of you in the 1950's, or some lad from Aden who lost people during their liberation struggle, you wouldn't necessarily have Paul Weller at the forefront of your mind when you saw it.
    I know, it means different things to different people - hence I personally don't see an issue with it.
    For me, the uj represents Britain - Britain represents too vast a cannon for me to narrow it down to one thing: historical oppression.

Bambi wrote: »
    Emm, no people are saying that they wouldnt wear a union jack on their clothes, which is very different. I wouldn't wear lots of symbols including the union flag, a peace symbol, a nazi swastika, a soviet hammer and sickle, and american flag, a french flag, actually nearly any flag bar (pun) black flags' logo, a red poppy, edelweis, red ribbons, white ribbbons, blue/white/yellow wristbands, white/red/green laces in me docks because none of them are my gig. If they are your gig that's fine but don't go blaming other people when you're misunderstood for wearing it in the wrong place and context.

Dear Lord, I don't know where to start with this one^

All I'm saying to the OP is that I have a pair of Reebok Trainers, and they have a British flag badge on them, and that's cool by me. My wife has a shopping bag with a (deliberately) faded Union Jack Flag on it, and she's cool with that too . . . .

GOODNIGHT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Dear Lord, I don't know where to start with this one^

All I'm saying to the OP is that I have a pair of Reebok Trainers, and they have a British flag badge on them, and that's cool by me. My wife has a shopping bag with a (deliberately) faded Union Jack Flag on it, and she's cool with that too . . . .

....and some people aren't. It's a shame you can't be 'cool' about them in similar fashion.

Post #89 was one of the posts which got me going . . . . .

GOODNIGHT, really Nodin, Goodnight . . . . . .

Z Z Z z z z z z z z z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Never wear the butchers apron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Post #89 was one of the posts which got me going . . . . .

GOODNIGHT, really Nodin, Goodnight . . . . . .

Z Z Z z z z z z z z z

How can we really believe any of your posts when you really said good night 23min ago? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Did you used to be ginger?

bollocks, you've outed me:o

...to some, it is. If you were a kenyan getting the shite knocked out of you in the 1950's, or some lad from Aden who lost people during their liberation struggle, you wouldn't necessarily have Paul Weller at the forefront of your mind when you saw it.

would you wear something with the Spanish flag on it, or the French one, or the Dutch one?

What about the US flag, the German one, the Belgian (They're back again) or the Portugese?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

would you wear something with the Spanish flag on it, or the French one, or the Dutch one?

What about the US flag, the German one, the Belgian (They're back again) or the Portugese?

They never oppressed my nation.

gurramok wrote: »
    They never oppressed my nation.

Maybe not.

I'm just curious if Nodin is as concerned about the plight of the Congolese, the Algerians, the Phillipinos or the Incas as he is about the Kenyans.

Maybe he is only worried about nations when it suits his bigoted political agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Thats f***king worse.
    I see a nice shirt in a shop and I go "oh thats nice" then I see the ben shermen logo and my inner rocker kicks in and I drop it back on the rack in disgust. f****kin mods. Hairdryer riding posers :pac:

I'd sooner be seen as a smartly dressed well turned out individual on my hairdryer than be associated with scruffy greasy unkempt rockers :cool:

"what you give is what you get" :D

p.s. you must be the first one to openly curse the mods and not get banned :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I have an Australian sweater which has the Union Jack on it as part of the Aussie Flag and I have no problem wearing that, However otherwise I would not really see a reason to wear the flag of a country which did so many despicable things to my countrymen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Yes, I have.
    I hate Britain. I have never felt British despite being born there. I always felt Irish, due to being born to Irish parents; and raised as Irish.
    Children of the Irish diaspora often have this hatred of their country of birth, and become polarised. As we feel we are something different and do not belong to our country of birth; we reject and hate anything associated with it, and embrace anything that relates to our parents nationality.

hatred of all countries or just the uk??

maybe its because they're brought up with a chip on their shoulder like you that they're not willing to mix with people of their adopted country

EarlERizer wrote: »

p.s. you must be the first one to openly curse the mods and not get banned :pac:

I've been rumbled, bugger :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Yes sadly the red white n blue of either the yank or brit flags are considered fashionable, in 3rd world in particular. The former is sexy n the latter rocks, apparently..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I wouldn't wear clothing with any national flag other than Irelands. The British flag doesn't sit well with me. It reminds me of Johnny Adair type pricks during the summer up north. It reminds me of rangers football club. It reminds me of why our country is split and it reminds me of British imperialism.

I don't find the English flag or the Scottish flag or the Welsh flag a problem at all though. Its the union i don't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

When I was a kid I had this cool tee shirt it's was kind of like the stars and stripes only instead of stars it's had skulls and blood basically it was a protest teeshirt about nicaragua and the **** that had gone on there, as for the union jack I have a hoodie with a union jack on it, any one complains I'll say well fec you and you Liverpool/Manchester jersey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Korvanica wrote: »
    Why is everyone mentioning the Parka Jackets ? Its not like the Germans ever did anything to us ...

Tell that to anyone who grew up in the North Strand in the early 1940's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I am British... I dislike anything British... and I would not wear anything with the British flag on it...

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Tell that to anyone who grew up in the North Strand in the early 1940's

My family was from there, my old man was born late 30s not far from where the germans dropped a few. None of them had anything against fritz. :confused:

CamperMan wrote: »
    I am British... I dislike anything British... and I would not wear anything with the British flag on it...

good lad, you learn fast (been in ireland long??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Would I wear clothing with the British Flag on it?
    I wouldn't even walk on it, if it was on fire.
    Tell your wife to bring it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

It depends how stuck I am for clothes.

As a rule, I wouldn't wear it. But I'd have just as much an aversion to wearing the Irish one.

Flags suck ass. They reduce grown men to fighting over stripes and colours.

gcgirl wrote: »
    When I was a kid I had this cool tee shirt it's was kind of like the stars and stripes only instead of stars it's had skulls and blood basically it was a protest teeshirt about nicaragua and the **** that had gone on there
    Yeah, symbols can be played around with - I like that idea.

later10 wrote: »
    It depends how stuck I am for clothes.

As a rule, I wouldn't wear it. But I'd have just as much an aversion to wearing the Irish one.

Flags suck ass. They reduce grown men to fighting over stripes and colours.

What always amuses me, is that i could put on my England football shirt, go to Tesco and expect to get around five comments such as "You've got a nerve" or "you're ****ing brave".

If I did the same thing in my England rugby shirt, no one says a thing.

go figure.

to be honest though, I don't wear either very often, because I'm all grown up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

No I wouldnt, not for hatred of the english though, just don't get it, why would irish people be walking around advertising the english flag. Always annoys me when english chain stores like topshop etc over here are full of stuff with the union jack printed on it. I don't even get their obsession with making stuff with it on it in the first place :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I blame the original punk rockers for making it fashionable, thought they were only deriding it you can bet today's kids will be doing it wrong.

Eh .. Gotta blame the latter.

My family was from there, my old man was born late 30s not far from where the germans dropped a few. None of them had anything against fritz. :confused:

No one I know that fought in WWII has anything against Fritz either. They accepted that 90% of Germans were no different to them.

That same logic doesn't seem to work with regards Britain and Ireland though, There seems to be a belief that Tracy from Essex was alive and kicking and therefore responsible for the famine in the mid 19th century, whereas Sinead, whose great great great grandfather was a wheat farmer in tipperary at the time, was a completely innocent bistander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

My fave Def Leppard t-shirt has the Union Jack on it... I don't care what people say to me when I wear it.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    No I wouldnt, not for hatred of the english though, just don't get it, why would irish people be walking around advertising the english flag. Always annoys me when english chain stores like topshop etc over here are full of stuff with the union jack printed on it. I don't even get their obsession with making stuff with it on it in the first place :confused:

British flag.

The Union Jack, or to be correct, the Union Flag (It is only called the jack when it is flying from a Royal Navy vessel) is the flag of Britain. The English flag is the cross of St George.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

What always amuses me, is that i could put on my England football shirt, go to Tesco and expect to get around five comments such as "You've got a nerve" or "you're ****ing brave".

go figure.

Totally agree,i can walk around London with an Ireland jersey and not an look will be passed,in fact quite the opposite.

It's time for Ireland and the Irish to grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A few months ago, Tesco in Abbeyfeale were selling trying to sell stick-on GB plates, but for some peculiar reason which escapes me, no-one seemed to be buying them.:confused:

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Totally agree,i can walk around London with an Ireland jersey and not an look will be passed,in fact quite the opposite.

It's time for Ireland and the Irish to grow up.

if only:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

ejmaztec wrote: »
    A few months ago, Tesco in Abbeyfeale were selling trying to sell stick-on GB plates, but for some peculiar reason which escapes me, no-one seemed to be buying them.:confused:

Same with that rangers shirt that's been knocking around my local JJB for the past 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 onedaysoon

Scumbags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Same with that rangers shirt that's been knocking around my local JJB for the past 10 years.

Might have antique value now, get in there quick.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

British flag.

The Union Jack, or to be correct, the Union Flag (It is only called the jack when it is flying from a Royal Navy vessel) is the flag of Britain. The English flag is the cross of St George.

so insert british flag where I accidentally said english flag and read the post again. The point is the same whether you choose to be pedantic about it or not ¬_¬

British flag.

The Union Jack, or to be correct, the Union Flag (It is only called the jack when it is flying from a Royal Navy vessel) is the flag of Britain. .

Actually, it is the flag of the United Kingdom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

go figure.

That's terrible Fred, letting you away with that... goes to show the Irish people who shop in Tesco are traitors :pac:

In all seriousness I think you're quite right. People seem to know it's only symbolic, and yet at the same time because it's only symbolic they let their hearts rule their heads. If they were truly offended, you'd expect them to be as offended at your football shirt as your rugby shirt as at the RBS Ulster Bank logo, which although encompassing GB, itself based on the Union flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Actually, it is the flag of the United Kingdom

The term Britain is widely accepted and widely used to refer to the United Kingdom as a whole. You know this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yes, I have.
    I hate Britain. I have never felt British despite being born there. I always felt Irish, due to being born to Irish parents; and raised as Irish.
    Children of the Irish diaspora often have this hatred of their country of birth, and become polarised. As we feel we are something different and do not belong to our country of birth; we reject and hate anything associated with it, and embrace anything that relates to our parents nationality.

I know quite a few people with the views above, even 3rd generation, including myself.

Why are people so up in arms about the comparison with the Nazis? The British invented concentration camps for God sake, they're hardly angels.

bwatson wrote: »
    The term Britain is widely accepted and widely used to refer to the United Kingdom as a whole. You know this.

Accepted by some, but factually incorrect.. you know this, of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

fryup wrote: »
    hatred of all countries or just the uk??

maybe its because they're brought up with a chip on their shoulder like you that they're not willing to mix with people of their adopted country

Hatred of their country of birth. Like I said.
    I have not got a chip on my shoulder. I hate Britain and British people.
    I prefer to mix with Irish, as I have always felt Irish not British.
    Some of my London-Irish cousins married English people, and some of them married Irish. I find English people to be culturally different to Irish people, and having lived and worked in both England and Ireland, I prefer Ireland and Irish people.
    What you have to understand is that London-Irish children of the Irish diaspora like me are something different; like an ethnic minority. We don't feel British, we feel Irish. We are hybrids between the two cultures, but our hyphenated identity does not have a sense of belonging as we do not feel a bond to our birthplace. This is not having a chip on our shoulder, it is yearning to feel a sense of belonging, a sense of identity which we cannot get in Britain. It is the same with many children of the Italian diaspora in London. They don't feel British either, and hate Britain. They feel Italian, they are London-Italians. I suppose you think they have a chip on their shoulder too?
    The reality is that children of any ethnic group will want to mix with their own as they are displaced from a sense of belonging with their birth place. I was born in London, but I don't call it home. Ireland is my home.
    Like many I am polarised, it goes with being a child of the diaspora. When your parents are immigrants you feel you hate your country of birth, and yearn to belong to their country of origin.
    I was brought up in London in an Irish community. My friends at school were Irish, not English. I never felt I had anything in common with the English children. I have been to Ireland twice a year, every year of my life. From when I was a child I wanted to live in Ireland not London.
    When I moved to Ireland 3 years ago, everything felt right. I had a sense of belonging. I will never go back to Britain as I hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

brummytom wrote: »
    I know quite a few people with the views above, even 3rd generation, including myself.

Why are people so up in arms about the comparison with the Nazis? The British invented concentration camps for God sake, they're hardly angels.

You hate Britain and you reject anything associated with Britain? Why not leave back to your motherland? I'm sure it would be very much appreciated if you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

bwatson wrote: »
    You hate Britain and you reject anything associated with Britain? Why not leave back to your motherland? I'm sure it would be very much appreciated if you did.
    Because I'm 18 and still at school. I intend to leave this year, depending on Universities.

• Advertisement
Advertisement