Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you wear clothing with the British Flag on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

brummytom wrote: »
    The British invented concentration camps
    Earl Kitchener afaik - born in north Kerry.

I think the original idea was a relatively benign one though - to use them as kinda refugee camps during the Boer War... but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Because I'm 18 and still at school. I intend to leave this year, depending on Universities.

Out of interest, what has been the cause of your hatred of Britain? It's rather peculiar I feel. We are the exact opposites of each other. I have been a member of this board for a month or so and have seen on a number of occasions that I am Irish and that I should learn to understand this as fact. It is however something I do not accept. You however have grown up in Britain and yearn to be an Irishman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

later10 wrote: »
    That's terrible Fred, letting you away with that... goes to show the Irish people who shop in Tesco are traitors :pac:

In all seriousness I think you're quite right. People seem to know it's only symbolic, and yet at the same time because it's only symbolic they let their hearts rule their heads. If they were truly offended, you'd expect them to be as offended at your football shirt as your rugby shirt as at the RBS Ulster Bank logo, which although encompassing GB, itself based on the Union flag.

think the RBS logo is based on the scottish flag only. he should be safe with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Dudess wrote: »

I think the original idea was a relatively benign one though - to use them as kinda refugee camps during the Boer War... but I could be wrong.
    Haha, fair cop!

Yeah, as far as I understand, they were basically just to try and prevent guerrilla attacks, but thousands ending up dying as a result of conditions? Damn wikipedia being down :pac:

bwatson wrote: »
    Because I'm 18 and still at school. I intend to leave this year, depending on Universities.

Out of interest, what has been the cause of your hatred of Britain? It's rather peculiar I feel. We are the exact opposites of each other. I have been a member of this board for a month or so and have seen on a number of occasions that I am Irish and that I should learn to understand this as fact. It is however something I do not accept. You however have grown up in Britain and yearn to be an Irishman.
    Yeah I don't understand hatred of Britain - it's so diverse, the days of John Bull are long gone.

Hatred of their country of birth. Like I said.
    I have not got a chip on my shoulder. I hate Britain and British people.

:D There is something seriously disturbing about you. Maybe its the way you can make such statements in such a blunt, candid manner.

It's not a yearning per se, I don't want to be Irish, because obviously I can't, but I don't want to be British. An identity crisis you could call it. I don't know why to be honest with you, it hasn't been passed down to me from my parents. Who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

I can sum up the difference.
    Your favourite film would be The Iron Lady.
    My favourite film would be Hunger.
    We are different people with different views, values, and morals.
    Some of it is nature, some of it is nurture.
    My parents were Irish Roman Catholic Republicans.
    When they found out I was dating an English girl at 21, whose religion was Church of England (Protestant) they gave me an ultimatum; either dump her or they would disown me as their son.
    I carried on dating her and they disowned me for the rest of their lives.
    When I was 21 I didn't hate the British. I am 35 now, and I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's not a yearning per se, I don't want to be Irish, because obviously I can't, but I don't want to be British. An identity crisis you could call it. I don't know why to be honest with you, it hasn't been passed down to me from my parents. Who knows.

You should build your own island somewhere between Rosslare & Fishguard. :D

There's a fair bit of distance between not feeling a part of something and actively hating it though! It must lead to a rather miserable existence I would have thought. I don't feel Irish, but don't hate the Irish as a people (just a select few) or begrudge anyone the right to call themselves Irish if that is their wish. Its just something to accept and get on with.

• Advertisement

When they found out I was dating an English girl at 21, whose religion was Church of England (Protestant) they gave me an ultimatum; either dump her or they would disown me as their son.
    Which British?

There's a fair bit of distance between not feeling a part of something and actively hating it though! It must lead to a rather miserable existence I would have thought. I don't feel Irish, but don't hate the Irish as a people (just a select few) or begrudge anyone the right to call themselves Irish if that is their wish. Its just something to accept and get on with.
    Maybe I was a bit extreme. I hate those who are proud of Britain/nationalists, and everything Britain as a nation has done. There are plenty of sound people, but I disagree with them when it comes to national identity. I couldn't believe the amount of hate I got when I refused to wear a poppy.

Yeah ok. Its already become fairly clear something is deeply wrong with your personality. It seems your parents might very well be to blame. Very unfortunate. And my favourite film is Elf.

When I was younger I used to think that as you got older, you became wiser & more relaxed. But it's odd how some people become more angry & backward thinking.

You are a child of the Irish diaspora. You are Birmingham-Irish, that is why you don't feel Irish or British. You are a hybrid of the two cultures, and don't feel a sense of belonging to your place of birth. That is the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Hatred of their country of birth. Like I said.
    I have not got a chip on my shoulder. I hate Britain and British people.
    I prefer to mix with Irish, as I have always felt Irish not British.
    Some of my London-Irish cousins married English people, and some of them married Irish. I find English people to be culturally different to Irish people, and having lived and worked in both England and Ireland, I prefer Ireland and Irish people.
    What you have to understand is that London-Irish children of the Irish diaspora like me are something different; like an ethnic minority. We don't feel British, we feel Irish. We are hybrids between the two cultures, but our hyphenated identity does not have a sense of belonging as we do not feel a bond to our birthplace. This is not having a chip on our shoulder, it is yearning to feel a sense of belonging, a sense of identity which we cannot get in Britain. It is the same with many children of the Italian diaspora in London. They don't feel British either, and hate Britain. They feel Italian, they are London-Italians. I suppose you think they have a chip on their shoulder too?
    The reality is that children of any ethnic group will want to mix with their own as they are displaced from a sense of belonging with their birth place. I was born in London, but I don't call it home. Ireland is my home.
    Like many I am polarised, it goes with being a child of the diaspora. When your parents are immigrants you feel you hate your country of birth, and yearn to belong to their country of origin.
    I was brought up in London in an Irish community. My friends at school were Irish, not English. I never felt I had anything in common with the English children. I have been to Ireland twice a year, every year of my life. From when I was a child I wanted to live in Ireland not London.
    When I moved to Ireland 3 years ago, everything felt right. I had a sense of belonging. I will never go back to Britain as I hate it.

Apparantly closet homosexuals say the same thing when they first have sex with anoher man.

Not quite benign, it was akin to rounding up all the nationalists in Northern Ireland so that the IRA didn't have any safe houses. It got pretty messy though when a Cholera epidemis swept through the camps killing 20,000 people.

Still, it is somewhat different to rounding up and gassing 8,000,000 Jews, Romas, Communists, disabled people.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Thats very interesting and i think more Irish could do with understanding that. But its hard to tell the difference because nobody plastered themselves in the union jack more than the Gallagher brothers from Oasis. Both their parents were 1st generation Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

what a thread, I was posting my arguments today while waiting in the hospital for my wife to be induced :)

now my second child has been born a healthy baby girl, I couldn't actually give a flying fcuk about the union flag as all this sh1t pales in comparison to the miracle I just witnessed

but this thread was fun thanks lads and ladies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Those Protestants... Up to no good as usual. :pac:

• Advertisement

So you parents raised you in London, but didn't let you mix with any English people.

Then, when you met a local and fell in love with her, your parents disowned you because she wasn't an Irish catholic.

And it's the British that are the bastards?

i think your problems lie closer to home.

Auvers wrote: »
    what a thread, I was posting my arguments today while waiting in the hospital for my wife to be induced :)

now my second child has been born a healthy baby girl, I couldn't actually give a flying fcuk about the union flag as all this sh1t pales in comparison to the miracle I just witnessed

Well, on behalf of the red, white and blue parts of boards, I'd like to offer my heartfelt congratulations.

A union jack romper suit is in the post:D

Now get off and wet that baby's head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Get off Boards and go be a Dad!!!!:p

Yeah ok. Its already become fairly clear something is deeply wrong with your personality. It seems your parents might very well be to blame. Very unfortunate. And my favourite film is Elf.

Are you a psychiatrist?

Many congratulations. What are you calling her? I really like Lizzie ;)

All the best to your family.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Get off Boards and go be a Dad!!!!:p

ah well what can I do

the auld head is buzzing cant sleep, so what else can I do?

I have to wet the babies head

• Advertisement

woodoo wrote: »
    Are you a psychiatrist?

Obviously not. Its a combination of guesswork and confidence. :pac:

I don't think its normal as a thirty-five year old man to come out with such strange and crude statements though.

You should not speak ill of the dead.
    My parents were both tragically killed by a drunk driver 7 years ago.
    You weren't to know that so I will forgive you.
    My parents were wrong to disown me for dating a Protestant girl. However they made their choice, and I made mine. I respect them for standing by their beliefs to the end.
    There is nothing wrong with my personality. I just have beliefs which are different to yours. It doesn't make me right and you wrong.
    I base my opinions on personal experiences. I am fortunate that I have had the opportunity to have lived and worked in both England and Ireland, so I am in a position to make up my mind about which I prefer.
    I respect that if I had been brought up in Northern Ireland in a Protestant community, then I would have your views about the British; and wearing an item of clothing with the Union Jack flag on it.
    The main reason I don't like the Union Jack flag is that in modern times it represents sectarianism. You see I hate to see it used at Rangers matches at Ibrox, the same way I hate to see the tricolour used at Celtic matches.
    I hate British culture, and British people. I have never felt that British culture or people are something I identify with.
    Culturally I feel Irish, and I identify with Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Not quite benign, it was akin to rounding up all the nationalists in Northern Ireland so that the IRA didn't have any safe houses. It got pretty messy though when a Cholera epidemis swept through the camps killing 20,000 people.

They also slaughtered their livestock, poisoned their wells, salted their feilds and burnt down their farm houses. The Boers consider it their holocaust.
    2. Background

The Second War of Independence was fought from 1899 to 1902 when England laid her hands on the mineral riches of the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek (Transvaal) under the false pretence of protecting the rights of the foreigners who swarmed to the Transvaal gold fields.

On the battlefield England failed to get the better of the Boers, and decided to stoop to a full-scale war against the Boer women and children, employing a holocaust to force the burghers to surrender.

http://www.boer.co.za/boerwar/hellkamp.htm
    Still, it is somewhat different to rounding up and gassing 8,000,000 Jews, Romas, Communists, disabled people

The Nazi Barbarism was on a greater and crueler scale but that doesn't make what was done in the name of Britain any less barbaric - especially from the point of view of it's victims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

ah well what can I do

the auld head is buzzing cant sleep so what else can I do, have to wet the babies head

Just kidding Papa bear, congrats!!!

Obviously not. Its a combination of guesswork and confidence. :pac:

I don't think its rational as a thirty-five year old man to come out with such strange statements though.

I diagnose good old fashioned ANGER

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Baby Jack?

Baby Jack?

hhmm maybe Jacqueline

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

I can not visit my parents home wearing any top or clothing with red/white/blue pattern, my dad would ask me to change it! :p

He is a republican and still believes that wearing any clothing that may represent
    'the butchers apron' as he calls it, does not go down well.... :(

personally I don't like any items with national flags on them apart from sportswear when a country is representing at the olympics etc..

http://www.know-britain.com/general/union_jack.html

Thats very interesting and i think more Irish could do with understanding that. But its hard to tell the difference because nobody plastered themselves in the union jack more than the Gallagher brothers from Oasis. Both their parents were 1st generation Irish.

In the Brit pop era of the 1990's it was Blur who plastered themselves with Union Jack's, not Oasis.
    Liam and Noel are proud of the fact they are Manchester-Irish.
    When they were asked to write and perform an new England Football song for the World Cup, they refused to do so; publicly declaring they were Irish not English.
    I suppose you will bring up John Lydon (Johnny Rotten) for using the Union Jack on Sex Pistols artwork like God Save the Queen, even though he was London-Irish?
    For the record Shane McGowan also used to wear a Union Jack shirt to Sex Pistols gigs, before he formed The Pogues. John Lydon always used to berate him for doing this as he was Irish.

My parents were wrong to disown me for dating a Protestant girl. However they made their choice, and I made mine. I respect them for standing by their beliefs to the end.
    There is nothing wrong with my personality. I just have beliefs which are different to yours. It doesn't make me right and you wrong.
    I base my opinions on personal experiences. I am fortunate that I have had the opportunity to have lived and worked in both England and Ireland, so I am in a position to make up my mind about which I prefer.
    I respect that if I had been brought up in Northern Ireland in a Protestant community, then I would have your views about the British; and wearing an item of clothing with the Union Jack flag on it.
    The main reason I don't like the Union Jack flag is that in modern times it represents sectarianism. You see I hate to see it used at Rangers matches at Ibrox, the same way I hate to see the tricolour used at Celtic matches.
    I hate British culture, and British people. I have never felt that British culture or people are something I identify with.

Do you hate me? Do you hate David Mitchell? Do you hate Huw Edwards? Do you hate Jermain Defoe? Do you hate Ian Bell? etc, etc.

I just cannot get my head around the whole "I hate British people" thing. I don't understand why simply not identifying with a culture or relating to a people would suddenly cause such a feeling. I could possibly understand if you said you hated the way of life or something similar although I wouldn't necessarily agree. Its the hating of the people which I don't get. There are 62 million individuals there. Do you hate those Islamic extremists who are British but say they hate Britain? It is really quite confusing. Do you hate the baby of the Polish immigrants who has a British passport? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The UK actually fought Nazi Germany too.

Yes, after the British state collaborated with them for six years in a very popular British policy known as appeasement.

For the love of god, how can you just hate British people?
    And British culture is massive!

LordSutch wrote: »
    90 years ago we had just finished fighting ze Germans!

90 years ago would have been January 1922 and you had just finished fighting the Irish. Ooops.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Battle of Britain?

A joke, compared to the Russian sacrifice. 43,000 British died in Operation Sealion/Battle of Britain v. 20,000,000 Russians who died during Operation Barbarossa/Nazi invasion of Russia.

Only in British nationalist post-War propaganda - you know, the same propaganda which likes to overlook 6 years of British state collaboration with the Nazis and demonisation of communists that is politely termed the policy of appeasement - are the two comparable.

Typically, the British poppy doesn't commemorate this massive Russian sacrifice. Only the dead of the British Empire's forces are worthy of commemoration to the rabidly British nationalist types who wear poppies.

Congratulations dude! I got you a present for your new born. Just PM me your address & I'll post it on... http://www.babyonce.com/images/products/babylegs/union-jack_l.jpg

• Advertisement

In the Brit pop era of the 1990's it was Blur who plastered themselves with Union Jack's, not Oasis.
    Liam and Noel are proud of the fact they are Manchester-Irish.
    When they were asked to write and perform an new England Football song for the World Cup, they refused to do so; publicly declaring they were Irish not English.
    I suppose you will bring up John Lydon (Johnny Rotten) for using the Union Jack on Sex Pistols artwork like God Save the Queen, even though he was London-Irish?
    For the record Shane McGowan also used to wear a Union Jack shirt to Sex Pistols gigs, before he formed The Pogues. John Lydon always used to berate him for doing this as he was Irish.

Maybe i was just mortally offended that they wore a union jack at all. :D

Seanchai wrote: »
    A joke, compared to the Russian sacrifice. 43,000 British died in Operation Sealion/Battle of Britain v. 20,000,000 Russians who died during Operation Barbarossa/Nazi invasion of Russia.

Only in British nationalist post-War propaganda - you know, the same propaganda which likes to overlook 6 years of British state collaboration with the Nazis and demonisation of communists that is politely termed the policy of appeasement - are the two comparable.

Typically, the British poppy doesn't commemorate this massive Russian sacrifice. Only the dead of the British Empire's forces are worthy of commemoration to the rabidly British nationalist types who wear poppies.

Yeah and the British would have you believe defeating Hitler was all down to them.

Congratulations dude! I got you a present for your new born. Just PM me your address & I'll post it on... http://www.babyonce.com/images/products/babylegs/union-jack_l.jpg

love it, thanks :)

I suppose I need somewhere to put the soiled nappies

Seanchai wrote: »

Oh good lord.

The point of the remembrance period is to: "commemorate the contribution of British and Commonwealth military and civilian servicemen and women in the two World Wars and later conflicts".

Every nation on earth pays its respect for those from their own towns, cities and families who have paid the ultimate sacrifice. Do you boycott the easter lily on account of it not paying sufficient respect to those Russians killed by the Wehrmacht?

Do you hate me? Do you hate David Mitchell? Do you hate Huw Edwards? Do you hate Jermain Defoe? Do you hate Ian Bell? etc, etc.

I just cannot get my head around the whole "I hate British people" thing. I don't understand why simply not identifying with a culture or relating to a people would suddenly cause such a feeling. I could possibly understand if you said you hated the way of life or something similar although I wouldn't necessarily agree. Its the hating of the people which I don't get. There are 62 million individuals there. Do you hate those Islamic extremists who are British but say they hate Britain? Ires really quite confusing. Do you hate the baby of the Polish immigrants who has a British passport? :(

I lived in London for 28 years. I lived in Oxford for 4 years when I attended University there. I moved to Ireland 3 years ago.
    I am well educated, and well travelled; having visited over 20 countries.
    I have dated both English and Irish girls.
    I was not racist until I came to Ireland. Now I am racist. When I left Britain 3 years ago, I hated what it had become. Multiculturalism in Britain has not worked. I think Britain, like Ireland; has been too lax on immigration. There are now too many immigrants in both countries. My parents were immigrants, part of the Irish diaspora that left Ireland in 1960 and went to work in London.
    I decided that 50 years later, I would do the same thing in reverse; and leave London to live in Ireland. I hate what Britain has become, and British peoples attitudes. Yes, that includes British born children of immigrants.
    I feel I would be a hypocrite saying there are too many immigrants living in Britain, when my parents were immigrants and lived there too. I have no more right to live in Britain than anyone else born there. Rather than say they don't belong, I have no problem returning to Ireland; where I belong, as I am Irish.
    There is a cultural difference between Irish people and British people. It is not just about race, or religion. It is cultural, that is something different.
    I feel that Irish culture fits me, and my identity. British culture does not.
    I have lived with, worked with, and dated British people; so I know the difference. I do not like multiculturalism, and think that people should mix with their own cultures and ethnic groups.
    Personally I am Irish, and I like living in Ireland; and mixing with my own people. If I felt the same in Britain, then I would do so.
    It is partly nature, and partly nurture. Some of our parents values, morals, and beliefs influence us as adults, but not all.
    For example, my parents were Roman Catholics. I am an Atheist.
    My parents were Republicans. I vote Labour.
    It is personal preference at the end of the day. We are all different.

Yeah and the British would have you believe defeating Hitler was all down to them.

No, they really wouldn't.

What you don't like is that the British are proud of the role their military played - first in fending off the Luftwaffe and saving the nation from invasion, and then the contribution made on the western front.

Britain may not have won the war - I don't believe you think that is actually a commonly accepted notion in the UK - however Britain certainly contributed to the defeat of Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy and the Japanese Empire. This cost us half a million men. We have every right to honour and respect them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

ridiculous statement,The British are proud of their service men,the sacrifices they have made over the past 100 years or so.They're one of the most,if not the most progressive Military outfits in the world today and are led by a great chain of command unlike the one's whole actually won the war.

For the love of god, how can you just hate British people?
    And British culture is massive!

I don't just hate British people.
    I also hate Africans, Roma Gypsies, and Asylum Seekers that have been refused entry to the UK, then come to Ireland instead of returning to their country of origin.
    Yes, British culture is massive, so is American culture. But I am not a fan of globalisation. Ireland has lost its sovereignty and identity. We are no longer Irish, we are European. I think the Irish have lost their identity, and Ireland has too many immigrants.
    I prefer Irish culture to British culture. That's my personal choice, and I respect that not all Irish feel the same. Maybe its because I was born in London and lived there for a long time, so British culture reached saturation pint for me.

I am well educated, and well travelled; having visited over 20 countries.
    I have dated both English and Irish girls.
    I was not racist until I came to Ireland. Now I am racist.

As I said before, what a waste of an education & experience if all it has taught you is to be a racist & to hate.

Your parents drove you away with their hatred based on religion & now you're all set up to carry on the tradition, albeit based on other beliefs.

I think you need counselling - it's not good to be so angry all the time, especially at groups of people as it is not only absurd, but unhealthy. You have some serious issues, that if they are not addressed, then you are likely to pass them on to your kids, which would be very unfair on them.

What your parents did to you was terrible, but there's no reason why you can't break that cycle if you put your mind & some effort into it.

And I say that with all sincerity - I'm not having a go at you here, you sound like someone who's in a world of pain & probably doesn't even realise it. But standing from the outside, it'd pretty clear for most people to see that from your posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I don't just hate British people.
    I also hate Africans
    Would you ever fuck off.

Advertisement