Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you wear clothing with the British Flag on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

fryup wrote: »
    oh ya, take a look at this :cool:

proud to be irish my arse

Noel had a Union Flag guitar he used on tour around 95/96 as well. Both the lads embrace their Irish roots but they do consider themselves British.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

No I couldnt wear the butchers apron.
    Tbf, all flags are drenched in blood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Noel had a Union Flag guitar he used on tour around 95/96 as well. Both the lads embrace their Irish roots but they do consider themselves British.

and there's nothing wrong with that, but don't be telling me they're paddys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

And quite rightly. Both of them, like me, were born in Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

No I wouldn't and I don't wear reebok runners either because of it, may sound stupid but I don't like the Union Jack (both what it stands for and the actual design). I live in London but I don't have any allegiance towards Great Britain or anything.

Seanchai wrote: »
    About the most retarded thing imaginable in a world of retarded things that the Union Jack is put on - starting with all that food in shops like Tesco. They must have some fairly shíte insecurity about their identity when they have to put a Union Jack on their food in order to sell it, just like they have to describe their films as "British" in order to sell them. :rolleyes: Cringe. Last refuge and all that. Tribal bastards.

So we mustn't describe British food and films as being "British"?

Yep, that makes sense.

ICANN wrote: »
    I live in London but I don't have any allegiance towards Great Britain or anything.

God help us if you ever get called up to fight for Britain in a war.

And I like Reebok. The company was founded in my hometown of Bolton.

In the Brit pop era of the 1990's it was Blur who plastered themselves with Union Jack's, not Oasis.
    Liam and Noel are proud of the fact they are Manchester-Irish.
    When they were asked to write and perform an new England Football song for the World Cup, they refused to do so; publicly declaring they were Irish not English.

tumblr_lhpiop43gu1qam50k.jpg

Liam%2BGallagher%2BBeady%2BEye%2BIsle%20%2Bof%2BWight%2BFestival.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

Batsy wrote: »
    God help us if you ever get called up to fight for Britain in a war.

And I like Reebok. The company was founded in my hometown of Bolton.

I wouldn't be called up to fight for ye bacause I'm Irish :P

I've been here 8 months and have yet to speak to someone born and bred here!!!

• Advertisement

No I couldnt wear the butchers apron.

i don't know i think their quite fetching :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

The people who ignored the codes are responsible, the victims are not.

People who lock doors and charge fleeing people to leave should also saddle the blame.

People sat five hundred miles away who are in no way connected to the tragedy share no blame at all, but for some reason, they keep getting the finger pointed at them.
    I always thought your comment that the famine shouldn't be called a famine was the craziest thing you have ever said about that event, the above in bold beats it.
    How you can state a government whose policies resulted in an event cannot be blamed for that event is beyond me and any right minded person.

In the analogy those sat 500 miles away are the ones who made the rules to ignore the "codes" resulting in the tragedy, ie the bosses.
    Those who "locked the doors" were those who made the (protectionist) rules regarding imports and exports, ie the bosses.

I'm not getting into this discussion with you again because it's like trying to discuss religion with a fundamentalist or race with a member of the BNP, utterly impossible due to a totally closed mind and distorted view of reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I remember having this same conversation back in Australia 15 years ago and the answer people were saying there was 'no way' but 'would I me hole' is much funnier :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

ICANN wrote: »
    I wouldn't be called up to fight for ye bacause I'm Irish :P

I've been here 8 months and have yet to speak to someone born and bred here!!!
    london is a very much a international city even in the late 60s it was hard to find a englishman living there,the area manager of the brewery i worked for in 1968[one of the biggest] then told me ,;i was the only english barman in his pubs in the west end. met plenty of irishmen yes ,even the pub managers were irish,because of my manchester accent i was often asked which country i was from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The ones sat 500 miles away I was referring to is the Tracey from Essex, not the government.

The government were to blame, not the people.

If you read what I wrote you would realise that. Instead you are just (yet again) looking to engage in some sort of childish pissing contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

If it was a tiny little flag like the OP said id wear it no problem, honestly who gives a **** these days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Out of respect for the people who died for this country i would not, i dont hate Britain i just respect the sacrafices people made so we could self determine and like it or not the sight of the Union jack still does not sit right with alot of people. St.Georges flag on the other hand wouldnt bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

The ones sat 500 miles away I was referring to is the Tracey from Essex, not the government.

If you read what I wrote you would realise that. Instead you are just (yet again) looking to engage in some sort of childish pissing contest.
    kudos for the composed response to that one.

The misrepresentation of your words, and simulatneous likening of you to a BNP member or a religious fanatic - while not seeming to break forum rules -was kinda impressive in itself really.

On a side note, the UK went from being a world superpower to being the little brother of a superpower largely because of its conflict with germany - which was pretty damn recent in comparison to a lot of things being discussed here. I think their problems with Germans or Germany seems to extend to a level of rivalry in soccer (coupled with respect for Germany's success in the same).

Fair enough. See Fred, unlike you I am man enough admit when I am mistaken ;)

Not a pissing contest just putting you right when you make your tedious "Tipperary" comments.

The misrepresentation of your words,
    I suppose you never made a mistake?
    and simulatneous likening of you to a BNP member or a religious fanatic
    You see it's not the first time we have met.
    - while not seeming to break forum rules -was kinda impressive in itself really.
    Thank you very much.

billybudd wrote: »
    Out of respect for the people who died for this country i would not, i dont hate Britain i just respect the sacrafices people made so we could self determine and like it or not the sight of the Union jack still does not sit right with alot of people. St.Georges flag on the other hand wouldnt bother me.
    to a lot of old dears in the UK the irish flag represents republican terrorism,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

getz wrote: »

Only in certain parts.

And I wonder would those that castigate people for not wearing the union flag/colours, do the same for those old dears if they refused to wear the green white and orange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Likewise there'd be some in Ireland for whom the union jack represents the UFF/UVF etc. What is your point ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

So that's 800 to me, 4 to you.

In any sport, I think that's what's called an emphatic victory.

except golf maybe;)
    kylith wrote: »
    I wouldn't wear any item of clothing with any flag on it, even the Irish one, because I think it looks tacky.

However I can't believe how many shops sell Union flag t-shirts, mugs, cushions, and even Christmas tree decorations. Whatever about a pair of shoes with a wee British tag on them how many Irish people are going to buy a matching set of Union flag cushions, decorate their tree with Union baubles and sleep under a Union duvet cover?

dont forget smyths with their british army merchandise
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    I think that is what it is called on a map. So you can't blame people using Londonderry.

depends on the map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Seanchai wrote: »
    A joke, compared to the Russian sacrifice. 43,000 British died in Operation Sealion/Battle of Britain v. 20,000,000 Russians who died during Operation Barbarossa/Nazi invasion of Russia.

Only in British nationalist post-War propaganda - you know, the same propaganda which likes to overlook 6 years of British state collaboration with the Nazis and demonisation of communists that is politely termed the policy of appeasement - are the two comparable.

Typically, the British poppy doesn't commemorate this massive Russian sacrifice. Only the dead of the British Empire's forces are worthy of commemoration to the rabidly British nationalist types who wear poppies.
    What drivel.

You forget the Russians had an agreement with Nazi Germany at first and they even invaded Poland together. To try and have a go at the UK for trying to keep the peace with Hitler early on is sad.

You also forget the leader of the Soviet Union was Joseph Stalin who was prepared to throw his men in front of Germany tanks and not one step backwards. Stalin sacrificed a lot more men than was needed.

To try and claim that as some sort of military achievement over the UK is really bizarre. The war effort was an effort by all the allies. You can't just cherry pick and say "Well those Russians lost a lot more men, they did better than the UK". It is such drivel, its amazing you thought of it.

Morlar wrote: »
    Likewise there'd be some in Ireland for whom the union jack represents the UFF/UVF etc. What is your point ?
    so in your eyes the UFF/and the UVF use the union flag as a banner that makes it bad,yet the republic terrorists use the irish flag thats ok, just see them for what they both are, the flags only represent the two nations not terrorists of either side,you can expect old dears to not understand this,but not a adult in 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

thats because the brain starts to decay after 45 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

KeithAFC wrote: »
    What drivel.

You forget the Russians had an agreement with Nazi Germany at first and they even invaded Poland together. To try and have a go at the UK for trying to keep the peace with Hitler early on is sad.

You also forget the leader of the Soviet Union was Joseph Stalin who was prepared to throw his men in front of Germany tanks and not one step backwards. Stalin sacrificed a lot more men than was needed.

To try and claim that as some sort of military achievement over the UK is really bizarre. The war effort was an effort by all the allies. You can't just cherry pick and say "Well those Russians lost a lot more men, they did better than the UK". It is such drivel, its amazing you thought of it.

Yeah it was the Germans who attacked the Russians, not the other way around. Pre-Gorbachev, the USSR was an aggressive expansionist power, just like Nazi Germany, which was guilty of systematically slaughtering millions of innocent people, just like Nazi Germany.

If you take the main players of WW2 to be Germany, the USSR, Japan, the UK and the USA - well the UK come out very much as paragons of virtue compared to the others. The bombing of Dresden is fully included in that assessment too.

And I wonder would those that castigate people for not wearing the union flag/colours, do the same for those old dears if they refused to wear the green white and orange?
    who on this thread has castigated a irishman for not wearing a union flag, as usual you are making things up,

thats because the brain starts to decay after 45 ;)
    i am in a mess i am 71,but you dont see many people out there of my age bombing and killing others,maybe thats because the brain does not mature untill you are over 45, a good spanking across my knee ,thats what you need, you young whipper snappers have no respect

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

i am in a mess i am 71,but you dont see many people out there of my age bombing and killing others,maybe thats because the brain does not mature untill you are over 45, a good spanking across my knee ,thats what you need, you young whipper snappers have no respect

I imagine said spanking might cause a whole new trauma to rail against

so in your eyes the UFF/and the UVF use the union flag as a banner that makes it bad,yet the republic terrorists use the irish flag thats ok, just see them for what they both are, the flags only represent the two nations not terrorists of either side,you can expect old dears to not understand this,but not a adult in 2012

Not at all.

That post was a response to you equating the Tricolour with the Provisionals (in the eyes of 'old dears' as you put it). I simply highlighted the ridiculousness of your claim. No one has said that clothing with a union jack is offensive on the basis of the UFF / UVF. Associating a national flag with paramilitaries is equally irrelevant, whether it is the union jack with the UFF/ UVF or the Irish Tricolour with the Provisionals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

George Osborne confirmed this morning that Britain would provide around £7bn to support Ireland as part of the international rescue package requested last night.”

“British taxpayers face a multimillion pound bill to help bail out Ireland which last night asked for an international financial rescue package of as much as €90bn (£77.3bn), after seven days of denying it would need to succumb to the humiliation of a bailout for its crippled banking system.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I wouldn't have a problem with it, per se, but I probably wouldn't for the very reason that you'd probably get a load of f**kwits coming up to you going "'ere why you wearin' dat?", meanwhile, as pointed out before, they are wearing Liverpool or Chelsea tops, places that are IN THE UK.

I quite like the union flag to be honest. For me it reminds me of the Britpop music era of the 90s, Noel Gallagher's union flag guitar, Patsy & Liam's bedspread on the Vanity Fair cover... its also the swinging 60s, swinging London, and all that.

I can understand why people are against it and what it (used to?) represent(s), but the US flag could represent far worse yet plenty of people would be prepared to wear clothes with that flag on it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Wearing something with a British flag on it wouldn't bother me, however I would be reluctant to wear it because of the opinion of other Irish people who may take offense to it being worn. I wouldn't be offended by someone wearing it because I was born and spent five years of my life in England before coming over to Ireland. :)

Brilliant !

Chinasea wrote: »
    George Osborne confirmed this morning that Britain would provide around £7bn to support Ireland as part of the international rescue package requested last night.”

“British taxpayers face a multimillion pound bill to help bail out Ireland which last night asked for an international financial rescue package of as much as €90bn (£77.3bn), after seven days of denying it would need to succumb to the humiliation of a bailout for its crippled banking system.”

now all you Brit-Bashers what do you say to that,,,,

There are no brit-bashers here, and it is irrelvant to the discussion. What say you 'westbrits' to that ?

Morlar wrote: »
    There are no brit-bashers here, and it is irrelvant to the discussion. What say you 'westbrits' to that ?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Great British altruism again. C'mon Keith, ........... explain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Going straight out now to get myself a pair of reeboks with the union jack on them, that should show how gratefull weI am :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It wasn't charity, it wasn't free money and as said before it was loaned out to keep British banks afloat. Next question.

gurramok wrote: »
    It wasn't charity, it wasn't free money and as said before it was loaned out to keep British banks afloat. Next question.

ya well they could have easily told ireland to go sink but they didn't

now on the other hand would the irish bail out the british....nope

Can you read?

Ireland cannot sink as Britain would sink too, too many billions are owed to silly British banks who invested in the ponzi pyramid.

Due to the relative scales of the Irish and British economies Ireland is not and never would be in a position to 'bail out' the British economy. So that is a bit of nonsensical question. Britain didn't 'bail out' the Irish economy - they made a loan. The reasons for that loan included the economic reliance between both economies. Ireland accounts for a significant percentage of British exports.

• Advertisement

As fryup has been living in a cave, i'll help you out.
    http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1022848.shtml
    It estimates that UK banks are owed a total of $178bn by Greek, Irish and Portuguese borrowers, of which Irish borrowers account for $135bn. That's equivalent to 25% of UK banks' capital

Yes you read that right, $135bn of debt the British banks are up to their necks in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

im not a brit basher, but you seem to have spectacularly missunderstood the implications, causes and consequesnces of the bailout in relation to british investments in ireland.

I suggest starting at looking at what happened when Iceland didnt garuntee british deposits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

kylith wrote: »
    However I can't believe how many shops sell Union flag t-shirts, mugs, cushions, and even Christmas tree decorations. Whatever about a pair of shoes with a wee British tag on them how many Irish people are going to buy a matching set of Union flag cushions, decorate their tree with Union baubles and sleep under a Union duvet cover?

TK Maxx usually have a lot of this type of thing. For some reason it doesn't seem to sell very well over here, which is great for me because then it goes in the sale after Boxing Day and I usually buy it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I was speaking to a friend who works in a bookshop in Dublin over Christmas and they were saying the latest Jamie Oliver book had been a complete flop in Ireland while all his previous books had been massive sellers.

The conclusion was that it was largely to do with the union jack on the cover.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Feisar

I always thought your comment that the famine shouldn't be called a famine was the craziest thing you have ever said about that event, the above in bold beats it.

But there was no famine as such. A famine is when there is no food in a country.

Beef and grain was being exported out of Ireland at gun point.

It was an ethnic cleansing of sorts.

First they came for the socialists...

• Advertisement
Advertisement