Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you wear clothing with the British Flag on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Buy the missus a big jumper with Pakistani flag on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Auvers wrote: »
    are you a confirmed Ulster unionist? as Keith is always banging on about, in case we forget

the only thing I would care about is your dress sense judging by that post
    dress sense,leave that kind of thing for the posers or the pimple faced brats.to day i am going to put on my man U shirt ,green socks,white trainers,and jeans .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

even if it was to walk into your local lodge? or would I have to double the fee?
    Sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I wouldnt wear Reebok, because there stuff is ****e. But yet I've wore FCUK stuff and wear Chelsea gear reguarly.

I couldnt care less if theres a Union Jack on my clothing or any other part really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

bronte wrote: »
    Presumably you also refuse to visit Britain or watch any programme broadcasted by a British TV channel or use any product that comes from Britain as well......in case you catch the Britain off them?

Immature stance tbh - wearing another nations flag is a different ball game to watching a program from that country or using a program from that country. In this case, we're talking what can be a highly emotive subject for people still.

I don't have any issue with England/Britain. I felt immensely proud when the Queen of England visited our shores last year. I have many English friends and colleagues. Still, I won't wear an item of clothing with a Union Jack or Georges cross.

And asking myself the question: "Would you wear the flag of another nation other than England?"... The answer is still no, why would I want to do that?

I actually genuinely do not see why you'd have such a problem with wearing another nations flag. If you went to the carnival in Rio and someone gave you a t-shirt with the flag on it ...would you refuse to wear that?
    Some people have little to worry about.

Breaking news:

Some people have opinions and beliefs that don't match yours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Keyzer wrote: »
    Immature stance tbh - wearing another nations flag is a different ball game to watching a program from that country or using a program from that country. In this case, we're talking what can be a highly emotive subject for people still.

I don't have any issue with England/Britain. I felt immensely proud when the Queen of England visited our shores last year. I have many English friends and colleagues. Still, I won't wear an item of clothing with a Union Jack or Georges cross.

And asking myself the question: "Would you wear the flag of another nation other than England?"... The answer is still no, why would I want to do that?

Oh now it's immature.
    Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Melion wrote: »
    I have an England football jersey and wear it regularly because i like the shirt, whats the problem?

I do too. A 1982 shirt. Some thicko Dublin bus driver milling around a stop with a fellow colleague one day took offence to me wearing it. Nearly came to blows. I was wearing it under a jumper too (not as if I was parading it around), but he noticed the distinctive collar. Absolute ball-bag.

So you're telling me that ".....in case you catch the Britain off them?" is a mature statement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

No never. Even Reebok and the likes have a bad marketing awareness with their runners regularly having the tab on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I tend to swish around london in a swanky SS uniform (Hugo Boss made some classy gear back then) and I tell you what, there's some right immature twats over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I wear whatever the hell I feel like. If people don't like it, then fuck them - that's not my problem.

As for the OP telling his wife what to wear - that's very disrespectful in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

get your wife an Irish history book, end of argument
    ...or an Indian history book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Nah wouldn't wear it either. But then again I won't wear Lacoste clothing either due to my inane hatred of alligators (the sneaky bastárds)..... oh ya and the French, I hate them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Heres a question. would you object to wearing something with the autralian flag on it, which has the union flag included?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

As for the OP telling his wife what to wear - that's very disrespectful in my book.

dont think that is the problem here it, was his wife's reaction to the OP saying he didn't feel comfortable wearing the Union flag

I too would choose not wear the union flag because what it represents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Washout wrote: »
    SO my wife is Indian...and was over there on a trip home.

she brought me back a jumper with a little patch of the British flag about 2cm by 1cm.

I said to her, I cant wear that with the flag on it ill get a different patch to cover it. (you cant just simply remove it).

The argument that ensued was unreal.

Just wondering if there is Irish ppl out there who would wear it and am I just being totally pedantic.

Why wouldn't you wear it?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

no, but I wouldnt wear something with an irish flag on it either, tacky as hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I possess a pair of Reebok trainers and they have a British flag on them :eek:

Come to think of it, my wife has a designer shopping bag with a (deliberately) faded British flag on it too . . .

Nothing against the British flag at all, mind you I wouldn't wear a Union Jack T-shirt, but if its tucked away on a clothing label or a key fob (Land Rover) comes to mind, then I don't have a problem at all, and why should I ?

Keyzer wrote: »
    So you're telling me that ".....in case you catch the Britain off them?" is a mature statement?

I think the poster was paraphrasing the message in your post...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I actually genuinely do not see why you'd have such a problem with wearing another nations flag. If you went to the carnival in Rio and someone gave you a t-shirt with the flag on it ...would you refuse to wear that?
    Some people have little to worry about.

Again you are choosing you ignore the point of your own post and my comment to that post.

Good luck to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

krudler wrote: »
    no, but I wouldnt wear something with an irish flag on it either, tacky as hell
    why ? i often walk with my bully wearing my cork gaa shirt on the beach at blackpool, and the only comments i get are from irishmen.

I bought a t-shirt for my gf before Christmas and after, a colleague pointed out that it had a British flag type design on it. My gf is Brazilian and my colleague thought it would be really cruel to "send her out in public" wearing it, without "realising the implications"... I understood his point but I think it was sad that I had to be mindful of other peoples reactions to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Funny that your Indian wife bought it for you, most Indian people I know are even more anti-British than the Irish.

I don't see the problem tbh. Having a small flag on a piece of clothing wouldn't make me not wear it. I wouldn't wear a piece of clothing where a flag was the main focus of it (like being entirely patterned like the flag or with a huge flag on the front of it), but then that would be true of any flag, including the Irish one. Flags do not lend themselves to stylish clothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Never have and never will. The association with oppression of Irish people throughout our history and also Northern Loyalist sectarian bigotry are too strong.

As a side note most British people I know would never wear anything with a french flag or German flag (or an Eu flag for that matter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Seen as I watch British tele, follow their footy, read their papers, speak their language, love their literature, art and culture. I identify with them so I wouldn't give a twuppenny fkuc if an item of clothing contained their flag.

I think anyone that wouldn't is insecure about being Irish.

dont think that is the problem here it, was his wife's reaction to the OP saying he didn't feel comfortable wearing the Union flag

I too would choose not wear the union flag because what it represents

I don't blame his wife reacting in the manner she did. She is his wife - someone who should be treated with respect, not be told what to wear or not to wear.

If he has a problem with the flag, then that's his problem, not hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

I saw a guy about 2 months ago wear a t-shirt with a picture of the twin towers burning with the slogan "Get over it" in big writing.

Now, I wouldn't wear something like that. A tiny little Union Jack would be no bother. I wouldn't wear soemthing with a huge Union Jack on it or a picture of the queen, but for jaysus sake, I don't see why a small little UK flag is such a problem.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    My gf is Brazilian and my colleague thought it would be really cruel to "send her out in public" wearing it, without "realising the implications"... I understood his point but I think it was sad that I had to be mindful of other peoples reactions to it

But what are the implications? Seriously, what is the the problem in this day and age, bearing in mind that we are now in anew dispensation of friendly relations between Britain & Ireland? I honestly thought all that anti-British guff had evaporated in recent years . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

wouldnt wear anything with a flag. Wore an Ireland polo shirt a couple of times under a coat, that was about it. And no way would i wear a GAA jersey, do people not realise how ridiculous they look? The girls who wear them along with o Neills track suit bottoms that are too long and let them drag along the ground behind their Dubes should be given a good talking to. And the eejits who wear GAA jerseys in other countries, the minute they step off the plane in Melbourne they're going "where's da Irish bar lads". Fúcking idiots.

• Advertisement

I don't blame his wife reacting in the manner she did. She is his wife - someone who should be treated with respect, not be told what to wear or not to wear.

If he has a problem with the flag, then that's his problem, not hers.

she bought him a jumper with the flag on it

where did he tell her what to wear :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I wouldn't wear one. Nothing to do with hating Britain or England, it's just I associate the Union Jack particularly with Imperialism and the upper class landed gentry who, from my history lessons I am opposed to on a moral basis. Don't have any problem with anyone else wearing one though.

I don't feel the same way about the St. George's Cross though. I'd have no problem wearing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

When I was younger I had a sex pistols patch with a union flag on it on a pair of trousers but never got any grief because of it.

Then when i was older some knob in galway tried to start a fight with me for wearing a red t shirt with a white cross on it (ala the swiss flag) because of what the native americans went through :confused:

There was also an incedent where some gobdaw was roaring at a house to 'take down that bleedin union jack' in the window. said flag was australian.

People are dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

My sister got me a Haynes t-shirt like this and I've no problem wearing it.

But then again my wife is British and I've been to England a lot. But times have changed too and this anti-British crap is a load of bull imo.

LordSutch wrote: »
    But what are the implications? Seriously, what is the the problem in this day and age, bearing in mind that we are now in anew dispensation of friendly relations between Britain & Ireland? I honestly thought all that anti-British guff had evaporated in recent years . . . .

Most of the vehement anti-British sentiment in this country comes from young males - none of whom were even alive during the Troubles and the majority of whom have absolutely no connection to anyone or anything from those days.

They have a very one-sided view of the history of the two countries & refuse to acknowledge that the history itself is not black & white, but many shades of grey.

It's mostly just young bucks looking for somewhere to vent their pent-up anger.

LordSutch wrote: »

the Union flag represents British oppression and imperialism worldwide

as pointed out before it is similar to wearing a swastika or an old South African flag

she bought him a jumper with the flag on it

where did he tell her what to wear :confused:

Apologies - I mis-read the opening post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

MJ23 wrote: »
    ...And the eejits who wear GAA jerseys in other countries, the minute they step off the plane in Melbourne they're going "where's da Irish bar lads". Fúcking idiots.

The minute I stepped off the plane in Sydney I was complimented on an Irish shirt by an aussie airport bag handler. Many Irish people in Oz tend to want to point out the fact that they are not brits. Australians are not that great at telling us apart & Irish in my experience are way more popular.

as pointed out before it is similar to wearing a swastika or old South African flag

Classic :D :rolleyes:

You will do waz I say, or you will be exterminated, you swine - Heil QEII Hitler.

• Advertisement

To some people it does, but not to most.
    as pointed out before it is similar to wearing a swastika or old South African flag

It's not similar at all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

You don't have to wear clothing to show your gratitude and dependence anyway.

Sure you do your bit to support British arts and culture anyway with your obsession with the Premier League, the BBC, Sherlock and Downton Abbey ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

if you were a true republican you wear kitted aran sweaters while playing soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭simit

No, I wouldn't either. You should buy your wife a gift, wrap it in a Pakistani flag and see how she reacts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

as pointed out before it is similar to wearing a swastika or an old South African flag
    This is stupid, Britain is a first world developed country which guarantees equality and freedom to all it's citizens to compare it to regimes like Nazi Germany or the old South Africa shows how little you actually know about the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Why is everyone mentioning the Parka Jackets ? Its not like the Germans ever did anything to us ...

Wouldn't wear something with the British Flag myself.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    This is stupid, Britain is a first world developed country which guarantees equality and freedom to all it's citizens to compare it to regimes like Nazi Germany or the old South Africa shows how little you actually know about the UK.

maybe Britain is that country now

go back 90 years and the picture is not that rosy, imperialism is what the Union flag represents

was the empire was built on equality and freedom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Has anyone mentioned giving the wife something with a Pakistani flag on it, yet?

Good. Glad I got in there first with that one.

maybe Britain is that country now

go back 90 years and the picture is not that rosy, imperialism is what the Union flag represents

was the empire was built on equality and freedom?

90 years ago we had just finished fighting ze Germans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The UK actually fought Nazi Germany too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Can you get union jack toilet roll?

• Advertisement
Advertisement