Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you wear clothing with the British Flag on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The UK actually fought Nazi Germany too.

So did ze russians, only they beat them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

I cut them off & burn them :D :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Morlar wrote: »
    The minute I stepped off the plane in Sydney I was complimented on an Irish shirt by an aussie airport bag handler. Many Irish people in Oz tend to want to point out the fact that they are not brits. Australians are not that great at telling us apart & Irish in my experience are way more popular.

Bigots often get on well with bigots.

I rather suspect that you were just able to associate with intolerant, prejudiced Australians who told you more or less what you wanted to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Strange what people refuse to wear. Some wouldn't wear anything with a little patch with a union jack, but a Manchester/Liverpool/Chelsea jersey is ok.

I remember a guy in my class in school wore an England jersey in (around 1994) and he was beaten up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I would not wear anything with the union jack on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

yeah Britain never committed and war crimes or funded its empire through slavery

and what was flying proudly from the masts of her ships while ferrying over all these slaves to the colonies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Bambi wrote: »
    So did ze russians, only they beat them. :)
    Battle of Britain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

bwatson wrote: »
    Bigots often get on well with bigots.

I rather suspect that you were just able to associate with intolerant, prejudiced Australians who told you more or less what you wanted to hear.

There is nothing bigoted about wearing an Irish shirt. Nor is there anything bigoted about the fact that Irish people are generally more welcome (not just in Australia) than brits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

I well wear anything with the u.s flag. But don't why you op are giving out about wearing clothing when irish people wear jerseys of english teams like man u, liverpool etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Auvers wrote: »
    yeah Britain never committed and war crimes or funded its empire through slavery

and what was flying proudly from the masts of her ships while ferrying over all these slaves to the colonies?

Empires have come and gone, Roman, British, Ottoman, even the USA Empire? France had colonies, Holland, Portugal too, and Germany started two World Wars . . .

So whats you point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Same here.
    One reason is that I don't think it's possible to design a piece of clothing with a union jack on it that I would like.

cena wrote: »
    I well wear anything with the u.s flag. But don't why you op are giving out about wearing clothing when irish people wear jerseys of english teams like man u, liverpool etc.

Thing is though if Irish people did not wear local uk football teams shirts they would be criticised for being anti british. If they do they are criticised for that too.

There is a clear difference between supporting a regional team and wearing a national flag. Places like Liverpool and Manchester have thriving Irish populations, use Irish players etc.

LordSutch wrote: »
    So whats you point?

its what the union flag represents to me, so hence I would never wear it

isn't that the point of the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

Thing is though if Irish people did not wear local uk football teams shirts they would be criticised for being anti british. If they do they are criticised for that too.

There is a clear difference between supporting a regional team and wearing a national flag. Places like Liverpool and Manchester have thriving Irish populations, use Irish players etc.

But there still an english team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

seamus wrote: »
    Funny that your Indian wife bought it for you, most Indian people I know are even more anti-British than the Irish..

Really? Do you know many?

I wouldn't wear a union jack tee shirt because I think it is tacky.

I have a few things with the union flag on them but only small ones.

Personally I can't get away from the association between the National Front and the Union flag, you are much more likely to see me wearing the cross of St George, buy that is limited to football/rugby attire.

As for Reebok, when I was in NY a few years ago, the Union Jack was quite cool and I saw a lot of clothing with it on. More as a fashion thing rather than any great love for the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

No I wouldnt wear it, I wont wear reebok either because of the flag. My ex even freaks out if the kids dress in red, white and blue. A bit of a pain in the arse in the summer when all of the nautical clothes come in to shops :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

The missus got a christmas present of a hot water bottle with the Union Flag all over it, I've relocated it up north (the attic).

There is nothing bigoted about wearing an Irish shirt. Nor is there anything bigoted about the fact that Irish people are generally more welcome (not just in Australia) than brits.

The dubious anecdotal evidence of a poster with an obvious agenda does not count as a fact.

Wearing an Irish shirt isn't at all bigoted, but it is slightly crass and tacky. The elevated opinion the Irish have of themselves when abroad is very odd. "Sure they all love us here, everyone loves the Irish".

• Advertisement

Pretty much every town and city in England has a thriving Irish population. Would it not just be easier to just support your local team?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

No chance, the north is still occupied by the Brits and the Irish up North are as Irish as any of us.

NinjaK wrote: »
    No chance, the north is still occupied by the Brits and the Irish up North are as Irish as any of us.
    Sorry, I will go back to Scotland tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I wouldn't be able to wear the Union Jack as it represents the Act of Union.

I have known a few indian people, sikh, hindu and muslim and in my experience they are generally very cynical towards all things british-empire related.

Personally I can't get away from the association between the National Front and the Union flag,

I'd agree with much of that except I think the association is probably more towards Sectarian loyalism than NF.
    you are much more likely to see me wearing the cross of St George, buy that is limited to football/rugby attire.

I think the cross of St. George has also been hijacked but not to the same extent. I think it'd be a shame if English people were not of a mind to wear it on that basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

cena wrote: »

But there still an english team.

How many people on the teams are actually English?

Where the team is based doesn't matter a f*ck at that level.

• Advertisement

Pretty much every town and city in England has a thriving Irish population. Would it not just be easier to just support your local team?

I am not a soccer fan fullstop, never have been.

I just think it's inconsistent how Irish people /Republicans can get criticised for not being prejudiced against all things british, for being open to elements of british culture (like their football teams despite the fact that there is often a clear Irish connection).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Meh. The 800 years thing, I've made my peace with it.
    It's the 15 years of exporting Brand Britain (from Ginger Spice's Union Jack dress to every pop wannabe draping themselves in the flag every November) all over the world that annoys me. Cultural colonialism by stealth, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Does this mean these are a no-no then?.:(

...back to the drawing-board...............:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

NinjaK wrote: »

and as british as the rest of the UK too. thye don't all want to be irish, you know.

I was a firm believer in a united ireland, until i moved to Ireland.

the bitterness and shiite that is spilled by people over here is a joke. The country would be fecked without Britain, deal with it. I can now see why most in the north want to be british. there isn't the resentment and clinging on to bygone history that you have down here.

You're all obsessed with the UK, you spend more time talking about it than you do your own country. The comparison is that to most Brits, Ireland is an utter irrelevance, a country with a population about the size of greater Manchester, with little to offer in terms of trade, an education system that is inferior, no decent healthcare, and a political system based on who your daddy was. You're the plucky little outsiders we all cheer for when England aren't playing, and that's as far as our concerns usually go.

Personally I can't get away from the association between the National Front and the Union flag, you are much more likely to see me wearing the cross of St George, buy that is limited to football/rugby attire.

As for Reebok, when I was in NY a few years ago, the Union Jack was quite cool and I saw a lot of clothing with it on. More as a fashion thing rather than any great love for the UK.
    You could say the same thing about the Tri colour and Sinn Fein/IRA. Every time I see it, that is what I think. Probably similar to when some people see the Union flag and see the British Empire.

• Advertisement

I have known a few indian people, sikh, hindu and muslim and in my experience they are generally very cynical towards all things british-empire related.

I'd agree with much of that except I think the association is probably more towards Sectarian loyalism than NF.

I think the cross of St. George has also been hijacked but not to the same extent. I think it'd be a shame if English people were not of a mind to wear it on that basis.

Big difference between being cynical of the British Empire and being anti British.

The cross of St George is in danger of being hijacked, but I think there is a real desire for that not to happen. English nationalism is on the increase again, but this time the unsavoury side will hopefully be kept in its box.

SV wrote: »

That is where the money goes, that is where the club's individual identity comes from, that is where the majority of match going fans come from. Try telling fans of any Premier League team in England that the town or city of their club is completely irrelevant to the club itself. You will be laughed out of the place.

There was uproar among Tottenham fans because it was proposed that they would move three miles to a different borough of the same city, which shows just how important locality is to even the biggest clubs with big foreign support.

You could say the same thing about the Tri colour and Sinn Fein/IRA. Every time I see it, that is what I think. Probably similar to when some people see the Union flag and see the British Empire.

So does this mean that you & Bwatson etc would not wear any piece of clothing with an Irish tricolour flag on it ?

If the accusation is that Irish people who refuse to wear a union jack are bigots then surely that would work both ways no ?

SV wrote: »

OK, go and ask someone from Moss Side in Manchester to support Liverpool. Or someone from Sheffield to support Leeds.

This is a perfect illustration of how most irish people do not understand english football. loyalties are built on where you are from, for your local team for the majority of fans. The irish should follow LoI teams, they have no connection to manchester, liverpool or anywhere.

As an englishman, I don't choose to be a Real Madrid fan because Beckham once played for them, but apparently that's a good enough reason for someone to support United because paul mcgrath used to play there??? Utter rubbish. Wish those day trippers would stay at home and let real fans have a seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

I would.
    That said I wouldn't wear any shirt with any German bank's on it.

I've a bigger problem with the problems represented by symbols than the symbols (which also represent positive things too) themselves.

I wouldn't want anyone naively wearing a shirt with any british or irish symbol who walked down the street getting a beating or abuse thrown at them by an uppity outraged moralist.

But by all means, obsess on the past if you must. Its not like we live in a time with real problems that need attention. :rolleyes:

summerskin wrote: »
    This is a perfect illustration of how most irish people do not understand english football. loyalties are built on where you are from, for your local team for the majority of fans. The irish should follow LoI teams, they have no connection to manchester, liverpool or anywhere.

have a read about the GAA

I think Irish people can grasp the concept of local team support
    As an englishman, I don't choose to be a Real Madrid fan because Beckham once played for them, but apparently that's a good enough reason for someone to support United because paul mcgrath used to play there??? Utter rubbish. Wish those day trippers would stay at home and let real fans have a seat.

whats is the largest group of non indigenous people to reside in Mancheaster\Liverpool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

OK, go and ask someone from Moss Side in Manchester to support Liverpool. Or someone from Sheffield to support Leeds.

Yes, because only people from Liverpool support Liverpool, and famously only people from Manchester support Manchester Utd. I mean...it's not like these clubs spend untold millions marketing themselves to a global fanbase.

Yes, you, as 'an englishman' get to decide who supports your football teams. Maybe drop a memo into the marketing department of every major team in the Premiership though, strangely they've gone off and dreamt up their own renegade ideas about appealling to a wider fan base without even bothering to talk to you. I know, incredible right ?

whats is the largest group of non indigenous people to reside in Mancheaster\Liverpool?
    You aren't seriously suggesting Irish people support Liverpool or Man Utd because a lot of people from either city might have links to the Island?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I don't have an issue with the English flag but I don't favour the British flag as its a symbol to me to the empire; the invaded and occupied countries but saying that if it was a symbol on a label or on a shoe I'm really not going to angered by a design or branding choice, saying that I don't have anything with that symbol I wouldn't look for it but if I discovered it was on something I bought I wouldn't have a melt down.

It would be regressive to let this create anger, if someone wants to wear that symbol they should not be attacked and looked down upon because they are not the ones to blame for what you're angry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

I have great respect for many English people, the land they live in and many of their politicians. But I don't admire the people that flag represents.

Wearing a foreign flag on your clothes is at least weird. It's not a nationalistic thing. It's about being able to wear that flag with some degree of pride for it.

• Advertisement

You aren't seriously suggesting Irish people support Liverpool or Man Utd because a lot of people from either city might have links to the Island?

well support goes back through the generations and this is usually passed down i.e like a political party

that's why they are the two most supported British soccer teams in Ireland

much like the Unionist support of Rangers and the Nationalist support of Celtic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

well support goes back through the generations and this is usually passed down i.e like a political party

that's why they are the two most supported British soccer teams in Ireland

Not to mention the fact they're the two most successful clubs in England...

nuxxx wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact they're the two most successful clubs in England...
    Yeah. If Real Madrid or Barcelona played in England, they would support Real Madrid or Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have a bigger problem with the Germans

They never learn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Battle of Britain?

Home draw against the german B team. Got hockeyed away from home in france playing their first choice squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

and as british as the rest of the UK too. thye don't all want to be irish, you know.

I was a firm believer in a united ireland, until i moved to Ireland.

the bitterness and shiite that is spilled by people over here is a joke. The country would be fecked without Britain, deal with it. I can now see why most in the north want to be british. there isn't the resentment and clinging on to bygone history that you have down here.

You're all obsessed with the UK, you spend more time talking about it than you do your own country. The comparison is that to most Brits, Ireland is an utter irrelevance, a country with a population about the size of greater Manchester, with little to offer in terms of trade, an education system that is inferior, no decent healthcare, and a political system based on who your daddy was. You're the plucky little outsiders we all cheer for when England aren't playing, and that's as far as our concerns usually go.

well you sound like youre enjoying yourself so. why are you still here if its so crap?

Bambi wrote: »
    Home draw against the german B team. Got hockeyed away from home in france playing their first choice squad.
    Sounds like Arsenal at the moment.:(

Yeah. If Real Madrid or Barcelona played in England, they would support Real Madrid or Barcelona.

like you support a team from London and live in NIrleand

I'd say the 6.5% asian population far outweighs the irish population. i say this as someone who is from greater manchester. the irish population is miniscule in comparison.

• Advertisement

like you support a team from London and live in NIrleand
    Yeah but Arsenal don't have a huge support in N.I or anywhere on the island. I am glad about that. Every top I see is either Man Utd or Liverpool. Good to be in the middle.

Advertisement