Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you wear clothing with the British Flag on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Not completely true. I've been abused for wearing an Ireland shirt in Manchester and in Edinburgh.

:cool:

Where in England is Edinburgh??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

ah, don't be getting all intellectual on us
    Sorry.
    I wouldn't wear the fucking butchers apron if the queen herself licked my arse*, because of the 800 years of shite forced on the poor noble Irish people by the heathen Saxon devils. Better? :)

*Actually I might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Worked in Poland for 6 months about 6 years ago. While there I bought a lovely thick warm fleece jacket to keep out the cold that was the norm there in the winter. Loved it. :)

Cam home and the first day I put it on here was a paddys day 17th March.
    Walking through town with the girlfriend, minding my own business and out of nowhere a group of about 8 to 10 late teenage scumbags started shouting, roaring and squaring up to me with shouts of "throw him in the river", "kill the ****er" etc. I hadnt even thought about it but there was a small british flag on the back of the jacket that had abviously caught there eye and in their indignation they wanted to throw it and me still wearing it, into the river. :eek:

Managed to push my way past them, pretending to ignore them while all the while waiting for the thumps/slaps/or kicks to follow. Didnt happen thankfully but frightened the hell out of me. Never wore it again despite loving that jacket. Toe-rags of the highest order who likely had never read a history book but had been brainwashed that all things english were bad except football teams. Turns out it was a Reebok jacket but I hadnt known that or noticed that the emblem on the back was an english flag. Even if I had known I wouldnt have seen a problem with a piece of clothing so couldnt fathom the hatred it inspired that day. :confused: Its a coat for ****s sake! :(

What a terrible experience. Sadly, we will always get scumbags like this using patriotism as a scapegoat for scumbag behaviour. If they were to sit down and do an exam on Irish history, they would probably fail but they use our/their history a la carte as an excuse to act like thugs. It's sad to think that people died for yobs like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Washout wrote: »
    SO my wife is Indian

Ask your wife if she'd wear a jumper with a Pakistani flag on it back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy clothes which have any flag motif on it. Only a gobschite would imo. Though if there happened to be a flag design on an item of clothing that I liked it wouldn't put me off wearing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's in Scotlandshire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    What a terrible experience. Sadly, we will always get scumbags like this using patriotism as a scapegoat for scumbag behaviour. If they were to sit down and do an exam on Irish history, they would probably fail but they use our/their history a la carte as an excuse to act like thugs. It's sad to think that people died for yobs like that.

Just to add insult to injury, they probably didn't even realise that the flag of St. Patrick is on the union jack, or maybe they did and that's why they were offended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Just getting with the trend, just ask your wife if she'd wear a jumper with a Pakistani flag on it. :D
    fryup wrote:
    walk down any main st in england wearing a tee shirt with an irish tricolour no one will batt an eyelid

> walk down any any main st in ireland wearing a tee shirt with a union jack and there a big chance you'll get abuse FACT

who's the bigots i ask you?

We didn't rule them for 800 years and they don't give a toss about Union flag wearing Unionsts in NI, complete opposite to what occurred here. If you come across an anti-Irish English person, they are usually of the right wing Al Murray type wound up by tabloids. Many English are not of that type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Boohoo... yet another anti Brit thread, I'll give one thing to the people who post the vitriol on these threads, you are consistent... and laughable...

You should stop buying anything and everything even remotely to do with Britain... see how far you would get then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Pedantry is a truly wonderful quality to have as a person, I applaud you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

SO my wife is Indian...and was over there on a trip home.

she brought me back a jumper with a little patch of the British flag about 2cm by 1cm.

I said to her, I cant wear that with the flag on it ill get a different patch to cover it. (you cant just simply remove it).

The argument that ensued was unreal.

Just wondering if there is Irish ppl out there who would wear it and am I just being totally pedantic.
    that was my argument.. I work in tallaght close to kilnamanagh imagine scumbags seeing me wearing it..could lead to a beating.

I also pointed out to her that as an Indian would she wear something with the Pakistan flag on it in India to which er answer was your just being an idiot.

I'm on your wife's side,god love the poor woman,she's married a narrow minded snob!
    Most of the vehement anti-British sentiment in this country comes from young males - none of whom were even alive during the Troubles and the majority of whom have absolutely no connection to anyone or anything from those days.

They have a very one-sided view of the history of the two countries & refuse to acknowledge that the history itself is not black & white, but many shades of grey.

It's mostly just young bucks looking for somewhere to vent their pent-up anger.

.......and because there's no game for it on the PS3 or XBox yet!
    No I wouldnt wear it, I wont wear reebok either because of the flag. My ex even freaks out if the kids dress in red, white and blue. A bit of a pain in the arse in the summer when all of the nautical clothes come in to shops :confused:

Your ex :D you saw the light!
    summerskin wrote: »
    OK, go and ask someone from Moss Side in Manchester to support Liverpool. Or someone from Sheffield to support Leeds.

This is a perfect illustration of how most irish people do not understand english football. loyalties are built on where you are from, for your local team for the majority of fans. The irish should follow LoI teams, they have no connection to manchester, liverpool or anywhere.

As an englishman, I don't choose to be a Real Madrid fan because Beckham once played for them, but apparently that's a good enough reason for someone to support United because paul mcgrath used to play there??? Utter rubbish. Wish those day trippers would stay at home and let real fans have a seat.

I know of a very proud Sheffield man who is a life long Leeds supporter, his 4 sons are all life long Man U supporters & his Daughter a liverpool supporter ...... and that's just one family, i'm guessing there are loads more like them the lenght & bredth of England
    I'd say the 6.5% asian population far outweighs the irish population. i say this as someone who is from greater manchester. the irish population is miniscule in comparison.

Maybe directly, but the diaspora % would be greater on the Irish side than asian,the Irish diaspora is a far higher % than any other 'minority' group in the UK,minorty groups combined far outnumber true blood English,Welsh or Scottish hence the term 'Mongrel Nation'
    utter bollocks that only an irishman would spout. I'm an englishman who has moved to ireland, does that mean i should start supporting an irish team rather than the team i have supported from my local area since i was a child? it's fickle and i would never do it.

Did those irish who emigrated also start supporting england, as that was where they lived? of course not, they sat in the pub with their united shirts on and sent money back for the IRA. I sat in enough pubs and witnessed this happen. It's typical irish fickleness, you'll support anything english when it suits you, and then harp on about 800 years when it doesn't.

I'm from greater manchester, are you? no. I'd imagine that gives me a little more insight into the history of the area and even of the football clubs. Stick to your own clubs histories, you haven't a clue about english teams and the history. You don't support a team because a few irishmen played there. whoopee fnucking doo. That's like saying that because many footballers from manchester have played for teams in London that people in manchester should then support London teams.

You support a team because it means something to you, it represents your town or city, even your side of a town or city. Not because some random builder came over from ireland in 1914 and was half-decent.

Oh, I know, Paul Scholes is from oldham, and he plays for man Utd, I should now support United instead of Oldham, by your logic.

Stick to GAA.

Funny,you started this one with the phrase "utter bollocks" and ended with the word "logic" ,the first summing up the post and the second lacking in ...Logic
    I never said the country was crap. just the football fans and the constant harping on about 800 years from all the hand-wringing types who cannot take responsibility for their own actions and failures.

To be honest i'd love to move back to England, and I'm currently trying to convince my Irish wife to do so. However, family comes first, so it may not happen for a while.

Yes you did, quite vehemently too,you attacked everything from our people to our systems, backed up with loose strings of historical 'facts' , as bad a conduct of those spouting anti british bile,disgusting on both sides!

Why is your wife so against the move? Have you been unable to logically convince her of the benefits of getting out of here? Genuinely,I think she is mad to want to stay given the state we in here although things are starting to turn bleaker across the water these past months so maybe she's of the mind "better the devil"
    it is. The irish "fans" are fickle glory-hunters with no real sense of belonging to any club, they just follow the trophies. Funny how the number of coaches going to anfield from here has halved in the years where they haven't won anything...

Just the Irish fans? come on, even the most ardant die hard footie fan would have to admit that football fans in general,regardless of allegiance to any team,are the most fickle of people - "you only sing when your winning" and turn on your team when they hit a rough patch, it's not a case of nationality its a mentality!
    Ah, the patronising use of "son", despite the fact that I'm probably older than you. How clever.

Funny about the english having a bad name, i seem to recall the irish being unwelcome in vast swathes of the world. You're not seen as the happy-go-lucky, lovable rogues you seem to think.

Most irish people are sound, as are most british people. I've never been made to feel unwelcome anywhere I have travelled.

A case of the pot & the kettle and that colour black.
    i've lived in the north west of england, London, france, switzerland, the USA and now ireland. I have friends in each place and have many irish friends, of course. My family left ireland over a hundred years ago to go to the UK and the USA. I'm just sick of all the anti-british drivel spouted on here by people sitting there wearing the united/liverpool shirts they are so proud of.

i've never been a nationalistic person, funny thing is that now i feel driven to defend the UK against the constant bashing.

funnily, when i'm in manchester this weekend I'll be defending ireland in a similar manner at times when people make the usual jokes about the country.

.........is that the sound of the penny dropping?
    http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Irish-students-unwelcome-in-California-towns-100180939.html

one example. Historically the irish were excluded from many jobs in the USA as per the famous slogan INNA (Irish need not apply) No Irish need apply is NOT an urban legend.
    In the 1800's when Irish immigrants took up whole neighbourhoods in New York City, many business owners put up "No Irish need apply" signs up. Many business owners did not want Irish to apply, especially in New York City, because of the reputation they had as drinking loud mouths. Irish were also seen as dirty and disease ridden and it was a common belief that the potato blithe in the Great Potato Famine could be passed through humans and was a disease.
    Also stories have been told that New York City newsboys often fought with each other and Italian and Jewish immigrants would scream "No Irish need apply" in teasing to the Irish boys.
    Glad those days are gone, personally.

Shipped over on British vessels in squalid conditions without the basics to survive,with nowt in their pockets,hardly a few clothes to their name,having been coaxed from their land under false pretences,some say the lucky ones died before they arrived in the land of hope & glory given what many were met with once they arrived, much like another bunch plucked from their own lands and shipped across the sea.
    i've not said the country is crap, i've said some of the people are. you can't seriously expect us to sit back and see all the bile spouted against england on the thread and not defend it in any way? Were the anti-british posts rude, or does that only work one way??

But you did, read back over what you posted,it's all there, and of course you have a right to defend yourself but 2 wrongs dont make a right, best not lower yourself to those standards,it only makes you come off worse.

Bigotry is bigotry no matter what flag you stand under,spouting misinformed 'facts' and /or opinions only adds to the bile.

Galtee wrote: »
    Just to add insult to injury, they probably didn't even realise that the flag of St. Patrick is on the union jack, or maybe they did and that's why they were offended?

I've always wondered where the 'Welsh' representation is on the British flag? I know the Georges cross & scottish flag is there but I dont see any green or dragon :confused: is it more subtle that it goes unnoticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

EarlERizer wrote: »
    I'm on your wife's side,god love the poor woman,she's married a narrow minded snob!

well I don't think its snobbery if the reason I don't want to wear it is because there are people in this country who might see me wearing it, take offence and proceed to attack me.

It isn't an anti British sentiment that I have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I've always wondered where the 'Welsh' representation is on the British flag? I know the Georges cross & scottish flag is there but I dont see any green or dragon :confused: is it more subtle that it goes unnoticed.

It's to do with Kingdoms and Principalities... and lots of other mish mash involving Patron Saints..

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/Symbols/UnionJack.aspx
    The Welsh dragon does not appear on the Union Flag. This is because when the first Union Flag was created in 1606, the Principality of Wales by that time was already united with England and was no longer a separate principality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

As somebody who has lived & worked in Ireland & England it is truly shocking & saddening to see the amount of vitriol & haterd towards the British flag! Surely we live in a new era now? A new era since the Queen's visit? A new era since Cameron's loan? A new dispensation wherby Irish people are free to wear Ireland shirts & flags in England (without fear), and people in Ireland are equally free to wear anything with a British/English flag on it? Yet the hatred here (among some) for the British flag is palpable.

I find the amount of Brit bashing here disgustingly narrow minded & ill informed. So much for a new dispensation & being friends. I actuall have friends in England who visit us here on a regular basis, England Rugby shirts & flags on display (without problem), so quite why there is so much hatred for the British flag here 'on this Thread' is somewhat curious & not representitive of the larger population - I think?

I can't imagine a similar outpouring of hatred for wearing the Tricolour in England.

well I don't think its snobbery if the reason I don't want to wear it is because there are people in this country who might see me wearing it, take offence and proceed to attack me.

It isn't an anti British sentiment that I have

I was refering to your assumption that should you wear said garment in a locality such as Tallaght (in this case Kilnamanagh) that you would be lynched,implying that the area is some hot bed of knuckle dragging scum.

I've sat in a pub in Blackrock having sunday lunch with my kids,my son wearing an England jersey and almost came to blows with some well heeled ignorant arsehole locals passing remarks toward my son.

If your going to be met with some mindless crap because of what your wearing it wont be because of where you are but because of who you encounter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I would never wear anything with the Union Jack on it.

I love the rocker look and I'm always on the lookout for tshirts in that kind of style. 9 times out of 10 I see a tshirt I love and it has a Union Jack somewhere in the design so I don't buy it.

I could never wear it, it just wouldn't feel right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The Union Flag is made up of the Cross of St George (England), the Cross of St Patrick (Ireland/N.Ireland), and the Cross/Saltire of St Andrew (Scotland), and as has already been said, Wales is a principality, and it never had 'Country Status' hence its not represented in the flag for this reason!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

LordSutch wrote: »
    As somebody who has lived & worked in Ireland & England it is truly shocking & saddening to see the amount of vitriol & haterd towards the British flag! Surely we live in a new era now? A new era since the Queen's visit? A new era since Cameron's loan? A new dispensation wherby Irish people are free to wear Ireland shirts & flags in England (without fear), and people in Ireland are equally free to wear anything with a British/English flag on it? Yet the hatred here (among some) for the British flag is palpable.

I find the amount of Brit bashing here disgustingly narrow minded & ill informed. So much for a new dispensation & being friends. I actuall have friends in England who visit us here on a regular basis, England Rugby shirts & flags on display (without problem), so quite why there is so much hatred for the British flag here 'on this Thread' is somewhat curious & not representitive of the larger population - I think?

I totally agree, as neighbours go Ireland is very lucky to have such good ones in the modern era. We have always had the right to walk into their country and work, get benefits, medical care, without a visa even without a passport and even before the EU.

They have always assisted us in maritime rescue before we had that capability. To spite us IMO harbouring terrorists during the troubles they never used the heavy hand of which they were capable off. They were on our side in the negotiations with the ECB to spite other EU members like Germany and France giving us crippling terms. As you said they lent us 7 Billion to spite their own troubles.

There is so much more they have done, and like it or not we a culturally joined at the hip with Britain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I can't imagine a similar outpouring of hatred for wearing the Tricolour in England.

I wouldnt wear any irish flag in england, it's just smacks of coat dragging to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I was refering to your assumption that should you wear said garment in a locality such as Tallaght (in this case Kilnamanagh) that you would be lynched,implying that the area is some hot bed of knuckle dragging scum.

I've sat in a pub in Blackrock having sunday lunch with my kids,my son wearing an England jersey and almost came to blows with some well heeled ignorant arsehole locals passing remarks toward my son.

If your going to be met with some mindless crap because of what your wearing it wont be because of where you are but because of who you encounter!

Point taken and accepted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

.......and because there's no game for it on the PS3 or XBox yet!

What would they call it? Call of Duty : Nordy Land? God of War - The Ulster Years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

No. I would not wear that flag because it represents repression to me and people in my family.
    bwatson wrote: »
    You don't have to wear clothing to show your gratitude and dependence anyway.

Sure you do your bit to support British arts and culture anyway with your obsession with the Premier League, the BBC, Sherlock and Downton Abbey ;)

WTF is this bull****?

Regardless, I couldn't help but notice the amount of Irish people working in the BBC and UK media in general; take them out and you have an inferior product.

Indeed, take the Irish contribution to literature and the arts out of the English language and again, a much inferior product is the result.

So maybe when people like you embrace these facts, rather than holding onto an antiquated and outdated sense of self-importance for dear life, then we'll all get along a little better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

As somebody who has lived & worked in Ireland & England it is truly shocking & saddening to see the amount of vitriol & haterd towards the British flag! Surely we live in a new era now?

No, I don't think we do live in a new era, for a start not a week goes by where I don't have to correct a young British person on the internet that Ireland is not actually a part of Britian. I was even talking to to British guys a few months ago on a night out, one of them was an English teacher, he didn't realise we were our own seperate country :eek: I have English friends who live here who didn't have a clue about anything to do with our history because they were never taught it in school.
    If the British weren't so ignorant about our history and made a full apology and acknowledged the extent of what they actually did to this country and educated their children about it then I think we would move into a new era.

A new dispensation wherby Irish people are free to wear Ireland shirts & flags in England (without fear), and people in Ireland are equally free to wear anything with a British/English flag on it?

I have no problem with other people wearing the flag or jersey but personally it's not for me.

Why would there be? What have we ever done to them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

44leto wrote: »
    I totally agree, as neighbours go Ireland is very lucky to have such good ones in the modern era. We have always had the right to walk into their country and work, get benefits, medical care, without a visa even without a passport and even before the EU.

They have always assisted us in maritime rescue before we had that capability. To spite us IMO harbouring terrorists during the troubles they never used the heavy hand of which they were capable off. They were on our side in the negotiations with the ECB to spite other EU members like Germany and France giving us crippling terms. As you said they lent us 7 Billion to spite their own troubles.

There is so much more they have done, and like it or not we a culturally joined at the hip with Britain.

Jesus man, do actually believe the tripe you write? Hint, those terms are only favourable when it suits them, nothing has been charitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Tayla wrote: »
    No, I don't think we do live in a new era, for a start not a week goes by where I don't have to correct a young British person on the internet that Ireland is not actually a part of Britian. I was even talking to to British guys a few months ago on a night out, one of them was an English teacher, he didn't realise we were our own seperate country :eek: I have English friends who live here who didn't have a clue about anything to do with our history because they were never taught it in school.
    If the British weren't so ignorant about our history and made a full apology and acknowledged the extent of what they actually did to this country and educated their children about it then I think we would move into a new era.
    ?

what specifically would you like them to apologise for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Not a bother, sure I have Tee shirts with the US flag on... what of it.

But there is no outpouring of hatred towards England :confused: people are just saying they would feel uncomfortable. In fact most of the bigoted statements (by a long shot) are towards Ireland or Irish people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Would you wear clothing with the British Flag on it?

I would. It's the best national flag there is.

• Advertisement

I agree with your sentiment, I think the bile & vitriol we endure in open forums are par for the course, be it misinformed distorted or ignorant it's the individual given their tu'pence worth and for others just a chance to stir the pot or stoke the fire and for some it's their opinion to which they're entitled,we may not always like it or agree with it.

That said, I equally detest the passionate in your face flag waving proud nationalist stance that we see from some,be it at international football matches or on the balconies of holiday apart-hotels all over the med or as a symbol on patriotic pride whilst acting like animals.

I abhor the use of the Irish Tri-Colour & British flags as statements in football grounds such as Parkhead & Ibrox (you'd laugh at it's ignorance if it wasnt so sinister)

I suppose we've actually come on a fair bit these past 10-15 years but there's still a way to go yet,but for the most part we're on the right track and hopefully it'll remain so.

.........until Cameron wants his money back ;) lol Cameron's loan , love it!

what specifically would you like them to apologise for?

Vodafone Home Broadband for starters.:mad:

:pac:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Vodafone Home Broadband for starters.:mad:

:pac:

nevermind all the grovelling we're going to have to do for Jedward

Batsy wrote: »

I would. It's the best national flag there is.

There's having a sensible discussion, and then there are pointless comments like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

> walk down any main st in england wearing a tee shirt with an irish tricolour no one will batt an eyelid

> walk down any any main st in ireland wearing a tee shirt with a union jack and there a big chance you'll get abuse FACT

Here's another test:
    Walk down any main street in Ireland with a german flag on your tee shirt.
    Then try the same in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

nevermind all the grovelling we're going to have to do for Jedward

Pretty sure they're english actually. I heard they are from Harrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

SO my wife is Indian.

Get her a jumper with a Pakistan flag, all will be well.

I agree with your sentiment, I think the bile & vitriol we endure in open forums are par for the course,
    Someone says they would be uncomfortable wearing something with the union flag on it, they are then attacked and called all sorts of names along with mass generalisations about Irish people and you say you are the recipient of bile and hatred, Wow!
    One side attacks an emblem the other a people, which is worse?

Tayla wrote: »

I have no problem with other people wearing the flag or jersey but personally it's not for me.
    [COLOR=Dar
    [/COLOR]

Why would there be? What have we ever done to them?

The really sad thing, is that you probably believe all this arrogant stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Someone says they would be uncomfortable wearing something with the union flag on it, they are then attacked and called all sorts of names along with mass generalisations about Irish people and you say you are the recipient of bile and hatred, Wow!
    One side attacks an emblem the other a people, which is worse?

Not to mention the little fact that there is not one single loyalist here who would wear a Irish Tricolour Shirt unless it was on the way to a bonfire.

• Advertisement

Morlar wrote: »
    Pretty sure they're english actually. I heard they are from Harrow.

wishful thinking im afraid, theyre from Lucan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Here's another test:

have done it hundreds of times with my old parka coat and my old west germany football shirt. no problems at all, same when i wear an argentina football shirt.

Here's another test:

The response in both countries would be an overwhelming lack of interest tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

It's since the 70's apparently. (As in according to my parents). Even coming up to the formation of the Irish Free State most Irish people didn't have such antipathy as this. Remember that Nationalists were only one faction among the rebels. People could fly a Union Jack in the southside of Dublin without provoking comment.

It all comes from the Troubles in the North really.

Back to the original question: No I wouldn't wear a British flag. I'm not British. I wouldn't wear the flag of any other foreign country either. No difference for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Not to mention the little fact that there is not one single loyalist here who would wear a Irish Tricolour Shirt unless it was on the way to a bonfire.
    I did say for a million pounds.

In fairness Keith would wear one and even go to meeting in a POO lodge wearing it for a million quid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Here's another test:

Just to prove that no one would even notice it? English people wear the German parkas too, by the way, I'd imagine they were wearing them before they were fashionable in certain scenes in Ireland. I've never heard English people speak bad of the Germans outside of a jokey manner, I can't say the same for the Irish speaking of our British neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

So do you reckon the colonisation of Ireland by Britain was more or less destructive than the colonisation of Ireland by the Catholic church?

They were opposing forces after all. Surely the Catholic church were the bad guys. More oppression, more repression and more heinous crimes by them than there were by the Brits I'd have thought.

People should be proud to wear the union jack, in honour of those who stood against that evil force in our land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

> walk down any main st in england wearing a tee shirt with an irish tricolour no one will batt an eyelid

yeh, well we didnt put them through 800 years of.... ah, never mind :p

• Advertisement

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I did say for a million pounds.

It would have to be a proper flag, and not one with a huge orange bit in the middle and tiny green and white stripes either side.

Advertisement