Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you wear clothing with the British Flag on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

......and having a flag on an item of clothing is not the same as 'wearing the flag'.
    By your logic anyone who uses Tipex is a nazi sympathiser cos it has a german flag on it. :eek:

I'd Tippex that out:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Hi Nodin, you must have been tied up, its not like you to be late in having a dig at the British.

What regiments were in India at the time? Not Irish ones by any chance.

Ahhh look. Deflection and obfuscation already.

Whats next? 'But the Belgians...'?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Sometimes I wish Ireland and Britain would just get a room :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Washout wrote: »
    SO my wife is Indian...
    Get her a 100% beef burger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Nothing like a 24 page thread of Irish insecurity to keep me occupied on a dull Eastender-less Wednesday evening..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

All this stuff is in the past. I wish people would move on.

KeithAFC wrote: »

Rather odd that you make that remark without, for once, some historical thing linked in your sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Already been done.

was 20 odd pages in when i came on ...who has the time;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i wouldnt wear anything with a british flag, and im still not sure why. ive no issue with british people and i lived there for a year. i also refuse to wear a poppy over here (canada), and again i dont know why

i think nationalism and national pride is ridiculous, yet it's engrained in my mind that i simply couldn't bring myself to wear anything with a union jack on it, or something that represents their armed forces

i assume its all subconscious

• Advertisement

Me too

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16617666

so is the things you have been giving out about on other threads concerning sinn fein and elections etc but you cant seem to move on either

so is the things you have been giving out about on other threads concerning sinn fein and elections etc but you cant seem to move on either
    Well that is in the now to be fair. The whole indian thing is well in the past.

This thread will self destruct in 5 pages...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

EarlERizer wrote: »
    oh,your been serious :eek: ........... I'll reply proper when I've stopped laughing!

.......You need to read slower or with a calm mind...... I agreed with the 'sentiment' of the post in that the bull**** that comes from thread such as this (from all 3 sides) is laughable if not pathetic!

Carry On :D
    You stated that "the bile and vitriol we endure is par for the course" in response to the comment "it is truly shocking & saddening to see the amount of vitriol & haterd towards the British flag ", other comments in the post you stated you agreed with the sentiment of included, "I find the amount of Brit bashing here disgustingly narrow minded & ill informed." and "I can't imagine a similar outpouring of hatred for wearing the Tricolour in England."
    As I said most of the "vitriolic" comments or bashing has been towards Irish people. Since you never stated you agreed with bits of it but not others how are people to know? :rolleyes:

if the shoe fits.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

was 20 odd pages in when i came on ...who has the time;)

When you don't want to waste any time, you use the search function like I did.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Helix wrote: »
    i wouldnt wear anything with a british flag, and im still not sure why. ive no issue with british people and i lived there for a year. i also refuse to wear a poppy over here (canada), and again i dont know why

i think nationalism and national pride is ridiculous, yet it's engrained in my mind that i simply couldn't bring myself to wear anything with a union jack on it, or something that represents their armed forces

i assume its all subconscious

So you are saying that you really couldn't buy clothes with a British flag on the label? or what about other products, from a Land Rover to a bicycle, are you really so disgusted by the British flag that you couldn't purchase an item with a British flag/ sticker on it??? And what about British TV, British comedy, British music, British food, British football, can you watch/listen to any of them? . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

LordSutch wrote: »
    So you are saying that you really couldn't buy clothes with a British flag on the label? or what about other products, from a Land Rover to a bicycle, are you really so disgusted by the British flag that you couldn't purchase an item with a British flag/ sticker on it??? And what about British TV, British comedy, British music, British food, British football, can you watch/listen to any them? . . . .

There is a difference between watching a tv show and wearing a british flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

An Ulster Unionist saying (to paraphrase) "well that's in the past, lets forget it".
    Holy crap :eek: It's the end of the world!!!!!!!

So is the second world war, nazi germany, the old UVF Keith, and yes, Keith, the Somme.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    When you don't want to waste any time, you use the search function like I did.:P

only learning sure im still only a novice lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

So you are saying that you really couldn't buy clothes with a British flag on the label? or what about other products, from a Land Rover to a bicycle, are you really so disgusted by the British flag that you couldn't purchase an item with a British flag/ sticker on it??? And what about British TV, British comedy, British music, British food, British football, can you watch/listen to any them? . . . .

was i not quite clear about that?

i have no problem with british people, british music, british food, british tv, british comedy or anything along those lines. none whatsoever.

im not disgusted by the british flag at all either

i simply couldn't wear anything with it on it. i have no issue with the british, and ive got zero irish patriotism, so its not something that makes any great sense to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I regularly wear an I (heart) London t-shirt.
    I wouldnt have an issue with a small english flag being on any of my clothing.
    People don't want to wear it fair enough but don't feel the need to comment on my wearing of it.You're just serving to continue the pointless anti-brit hatred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I can't imagine a similar outpouring of hatred for wearing the Tricolour in England.
    Tayla wrote: »
    Why would there be? What have we ever done to them?

what have we done to them:confused:

how about the IRA bombing campaigns

and not to mention.. Terry Wogan, The Nolan Sisters, Val Donican, Graham Norton, Ed Byrne, Jedward, Mrs Brown's boys etc etc we've been responsible for alot of suffering too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Feisar wrote: »
    I'm going to get flamed for this but to me it was a symbol of colonial oppression all over the world not just here in Ireland.

I wouldn't wear it the same way I wouldn't wear a swastika.

Wft :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

old hippy wrote: »
    Sometimes I wish Ireland and Britain would just get a room :mad:

We did have a room, and we took it up the árse for 800 years

:pac:

fryup wrote: »

and not to mention.. Terry Wogan, The Nolan Sisters, Val Donican, Graham Norton, Ed Byrne, Jedward, Mrs Brown's boys etc etc we've been responsible for alot of suffering too
    True.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Nodin wrote: »
    Ahhh look. Deflection and obfuscation already.

Whats next? 'But the Belgians...'?

You know what, I had a nice witty reply typed out, but I'm not going to bother. I'm bored of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Why always with the fighting?

This is such a stupid subject to get riled up over.. really

• Most popular names 2010 in ireland jack and sophie couldnt get more british imo and yet most of you wouldnt wear the flag?
    Weird!

As often quoted on the subject nationalism last refuge of a scoundrel

be proud of your country by all means but not if it leads to blind hatred of other races

• Advertisement

You know what, I had a nice witty reply typed out, but I'm not going to bother. I'm bored of you.

It was 'But the Belgians...', then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Batsy wrote: »
    The USSR doesn't even exist.

Oh man, really? what the feck is going on!!11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I don't blame his wife reacting in the manner she did. She is his wife - someone who should be treated with respect, not be told what to wear or not to wear.

If he has a problem with the flag, then that's his problem, not hers.

His wife bought the jumper for him though. He wasn't treating her disrespectfully because he didn't feel comfortable wearing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Yawns wrote: »
    I have a pair of Reebok that have a small British flag on them. Couldn't care less. One lad made remark about it to me one day. My response to him was why did he support Man United if he was so set against anything to do with England etc. He shut up and never mentioned it again.

Man Utd are a team with a Scottish manager, American owners, mostly foreign players and they dont represent the British Army, Monarchy or Government. Off topic I know but hate when people use that as an argument against Nationalists, Republicans etc. Its like saying Bayern Munich fans cant complain about the Nazi's cos their a German club. :P

Anyway, back on topic, I personally wouldnt. I did have boots before with the union jack tab on them but scissors took care of that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

fryup wrote: »

You sure about that?

A bombing campaign perpetrated by people in the UK on other people in the UK!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

I can't imagine a similar outpouring of hatred for wearing the Tricolour in England.[/COLOR]

Maybe not in most areas but you would in some. Since were talking about The Union Jack, not The Georges Cross, try wearing a Tricolour around certain areas of Glasgow and see if there is any hatred. ;)

Fandango wrote: »
    Maybe not in most areas but you would in some. Since were talking about The Union Jack, not The Georges Cross, try wearing a Tricolour around certain areas of Glasgow and see if there is any hatred. ;)

....he can scrawl any of his anthropological observations on the path where's he found lying. There'll be a fluid medium to hand.

So to all you anti-British Republicans (and you Nodin), "what do you do when you are down the local Tesco and you see a nice succulent chicken breast in the reduced section 'with a British flag on it" :eek: can you bring yourself to buy it (and eat it), or might you gag?

Personally I think you republican minded folk need to get out more, you need more British beef in your freezer, you need more British ladies in your beds, you need more British flags on your groceries, and you really need to stop hating . . . . . :)

Its 2012 for God's sake, so what harm will a little British flag do on your Reebok trainers?

Fandango wrote: »

depends what part of the city you're in

wouldn't like to be caught wearing the UJ near celtic park

• Advertisement

So to all you anti-British Republicans (and you Nodin), "what do you do when you are down the local Tesco and you see a nice succulent chicken breast in the reduced section 'with a British flag on it" :eek: can you bring yourself to buy it (and eat it), or might you gag?

Personally I think you republican minded folk need to get out more, you need more British beef in your freezer, you need more British ladies in your beds, you need more British flags on your groceries, and you really need to stop hating . . . . .

Its 2012 for God's sake, so what harm will a little British flag do on your Reebok trainers?
    Would you buy Irish stew or Irish chicken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Pin_Cushion

1. Tesco meat is the worst quality of all of the supermarkets.
    2. Wouldn't want to eat meat sourced abroad especially when local options are available.
    3. Combining 1 & 2 and then taking into consideration that it's reduced, I wouldn't touch it with a bargpole.

I would certainly gag, and I'm not a staunch republican by any means.

Would you buy Irish stew or Irish chicken?

Yes.

I actually have a lovely lump of cheese in my fridge with a Tricolour on it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'd eat and kill it...kill 'em all i say, its in my blood. Chicken that is by the way ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Couldn't give a shyte. If its a nice top then why not

Yes.

I actually have a lovely lump of cheese in my fridge with a Tricolour on it :eek:
    :pac:

My christmas turkey package had one on. I panicked. :o

• Advertisement

Personally I think you republican minded folk need to get out more, you need more British beef in your freezer, you need more British ladies in your beds, you need more British flags on your groceries, and you really need to stop hating . . . . . :)

Why is it it that in most pronouncements from one side of the issue, we have the other set up as rabid xenophobes in the preamble?

An Ulster Unionist saying (to paraphrase) "well that's in the past, lets forget it".
    Holy crap :eek: It's the end of the world!!!!!!!

you could direct the same sarcastic comment for irish republicans:cool:

(as most of them still live in the past going by the evidence on this thread)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

gurramok wrote: »
    You sure about that?

A bombing campaign perpetrated by people in the UK on other people in the UK!:D

Nice to see you see the humour in that side of it.

Remembering the crude nature of your posts in the past and the obvious hatred you have of Britain, I wonder do you dismiss what you percieve to be as injustices against catholics in Northern Ireland as "a campaign perpetrated by people in the UK on other people in the UK" and end it with a little green laughter smiley? " :D ".

Nodin wrote: »
    Why is it it that in most pronouncements from one side of the issue, we have the other set up as rabid xenophobes in the preamble?

Come on Nodin, a little British flag on your carton of soup, would you buy it & sip it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I didn't know that farm animals could be taught to be British but I guess it's not beyond the bounds of imagination.

• Advertisement
Advertisement