Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you wear clothing with the British Flag on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

LordSutch wrote: »
    Come on Nodin, a little British flag on your carton of soup, would you buy it & sip it?

....possibly. Doubtless I have on previous occassions and never noticed. That would be (fairly fucking obviously I would have thought) because its a rather different thing to having it on clothing as a symbol/decoration.

I didn't know that farm animals could be taught to be British but I guess it's not beyond the bounds of imagination.

You cull the troublesome ones and give the compliant ones more feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

bwatson wrote: »
    Nice to see you see the humour in that side of it.

Remembering the crude nature of your posts in the past and the obvious hatred you have of Britain, I wonder do you dismiss what you percieve to be as injustices against catholics in Northern Ireland as "a campaign perpetrated by people in the UK on other people in the UK" and end it with a little green laughter smiley? " :D ".

I love Britain, i was born there!

What have you got against the colour green? :D Perhaps petition the site to have the smiley's colour changed to red white and blue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The phrase 'burn everything british except their coal' springs to mind :

To be honest when I am shopping I tend to buy Irish.

This has nothing to do with Nationalism, more to do with a social conscience.

I prefer to support Irish jobs in Ireland.

That goes for all other countries too not just refusing to buy British.

I'd rather buy Irish vegetables than spanish or mexican or israeli.

I'd rather buy Irish meat products than British or French or whatever.

It's got nothing to do with a hatred or any of that shíte, it's more to do with supporting Irish jobs.

Unemployment in Ireland at the moment is sky high and it all helps. Also, from an ecological point of view it is more enviornmentally friendly to buy local produce than something shipped by air freight or container ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Nodin wrote: »
    Doubtless I have on previous occassions and never noticed. That would be (fairly fucking obviously I would have thought) because its a rather different thing to having it on clothing as a symbol/decoration.

Well done, we'd be lost without your contributions.

I wonder are they still doing those Tricolour/IRA T-shirts on the SF website? that's clothing of a kind isnt it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

The British flag is a Christian symbol as it incorporates the flag of St. George, the flag of St. Andrew and the flag of St. Patrick. It symbolises the common Christian heritage of England, Ireland and Scotland, so I cannot understand why anyone would object to or be offended by someone wearing a British flag on their clothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

realies wrote: »
    No I wonder wear it either, Yet I often wore a Parker jacket (yeras ago)with a german flag on it ???? strange but true.

I think you mean Parka jacket.
    Parker make very good fountain pens.

Well done, we'd be lost without your contributions.

I wonder are they still doing those Tricolour/IRA T-shirts on the SF website? that's clothing of a kind isnt it?

It is indeed. I presume you don't wear one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Im about as far from a hardline republican as you'd find, but I wouldnt wear clothes with a Union Jack. I might make an exception for runners when they have to show the UK shoesize on a little label inside the tongue, but thats about it!
    Its weird because I completely get where people are coming from when they say, "FFS its just a little image on a tshirt or whatever, get over it!" but I just couldnt do it. Its something primal and deep-rooted! :pac: Its too loaded, a symbol of an entity which caused so much pain and suffering on this island.
    No way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

KeithAFC wrote: »
    All this stuff is in the past. I wish people would move on.
    Ah, it's fun. It's like how some backward people call Derry "London Derry"...

• Advertisement

Clareboy wrote: »
    The British flag is a Christian symbol as it incorporates the flag of St. George, the flag of St. Andrew and the flag of St. Patrick. It symbolises the common Christian heritage of England, Ireland and Scotland, so I cannot understand why anyone would object to or be offended by someone wearing a British flag on their clothing.

You could start here....
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/21/mau-mau-torture-kenyans-compensation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

the_syco wrote: »
    Ah, it's fun. It's like how some backward people call Derry "London Derry"...
    I think that is what it is called on a map. So you can't blame people using Londonderry.

Washout wrote: »
    SO my wife is Indian...and was over there on a trip home.

she brought me back a jumper with a little patch of the British flag about 2cm by 1cm.

I said to her, I cant wear that with the flag on it ill get a different patch to cover it. (you cant just simply remove it).

The argument that ensued was unreal.

Just wondering if there is Irish ppl out there who would wear it and am I just being totally pedantic.

I am London-Irish, born in London to Irish parents.
    I would never wear anything with the Union Jack flag on it (in Britain or Ireland).
    My advice is to divorce your wife.
    I find the concept of a wife buying her Irish husband and item of clothing with the Union Jack on it an insult.
    I remember as a teenager my London-Irish cousin bought a t-shirt with all the flags of the world embroidered into the front of it. When my Uncle saw it had the Union Jack on it he threw it straight in the bin. He was right.
    An Irish man should never wear the Union Jack in any form. We are Irish. Wearing the Irish tricolour flag is acceptable, but no other flag.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I think that is what it is called on a map. So you can't blame people using Londonderry.

Peter Robinson calls it Derry.
    He is a member of Derry Flute Band and for that reason has said publicly that he has no problem with it being called Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I am London-Irish

Do you mean you're from London-Derry?

Oh my God, I've just discovered a very small British flag/label on the inside of my M&S suit jacket :eek:

Looks for scissors . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Peter Robinson calls it Derry.
    He is a member of Derry Flute Band and for that reason has said publicly that he has no problem with it being called Derry.
    Neither do I. But I don't care what people call it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

I am London-Irish, born in London to Irish parents.

Is this line really necessary as an introduction for every second post you make?

Stating that a man should divorce his wife because she brought him back a jumper which he didn't really like also seems a bit extreme. You really come out with some odd things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

EarlERizer wrote: »
    I've always wondered where the 'Welsh' representation is on the British flag? I know the Georges cross & scottish flag is there but I dont see any green or dragon :confused: is it more subtle that it goes unnoticed.

It was united with England so there flag is the St. George's Cross. If it was not united with England the flag would be ruined. The Welsh flag was the flag of St. David and not the Dragon. The Flag of St. David is a gold cross with a black background.

• Advertisement

Oh my God, I've just discovered a very small British flag/label on the inside of my M&S suit jacket :eek:

Don't run back to the keyboard with the scissors to answer this, but, in your own time....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76592513&postcount=412

Clareboy wrote: »

The Irish tricolour is a symbol of peace between the Irish (green), peace (white), Orange (Orange Order Protestants).
    You try telling that to Loyalists in Northern Ireland though.
    You have to respect that what the Union Jack and Tricolour symbolise in Ireland and the UK are different things.
    Sectarianism.
    Just look at a Celtic and Rangers match at Ibrox.
    You will see the modern day meaning of the Union Jack flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

The USSR doesn't even exist.

The Crimson Flag still inspires.

See if you can listen to this (Paul Robeson) without getting teared up: www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2jnX2y30DE

Scissors?
    You need a can of petrol and a lighter.

Scissors?

Never bought any British products while growing up in London then, did you?

Do you mean you're from London-Derry?

No, I mean I am London-Irish. Born in London to Irish parents.
    Unlike American-Irish for example, I can't call myself British-Irish due to the history of the conflict between the two.
    We have to call ourselves London-Irish. Manchester-Irish, Liverpool-Irish, Birmingham-Irish; as children of the Irish diaspora.
    Derry is something different.
    People born in Derry are Northern Irish.
    Derry has nothing to do with London, it should not be called any thing other than Derry.

• Advertisement

Scissors?

Wow. You've some hatred for your country of birth and citizenship.

Don't run back to the keyboard with the scissors to answer this, but, in your own time....

He is under no obligation to answer your question. Who on earth do you think you are?

Interesting that he calls himself Johnny "Foreigner" too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Derry has nothing to do with London, it should not be called any thing other than Derry.

Doire, perhaps!?

He is under no obligation to answer your question. Who on earth do you think you are?

Somebody who asked a question.

Who do you think you are? Just as a matter of interest like...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Agreed, my Dad used to tell me about the large support in Dublin for England in the 1966 World Cup, and then the troubles arrived, the poison set in, and everything changed, that is until the las few years (or so I thought) :(

Fair enough, but would you go to the extreme of hacking off the Union flag from your Reebok trainers? Or peeling off the Union flag from the inside of your motorcycle helmet (because you hate the flag sooo much)?
    No hatred there. It's more like the way I wouldn't wear something saying I was a librarian - just because I'm not a librarian. Or a thing saying my name is John - my name's not John. Or wear a t-shirt with the name of a film I hadn't seen, or band I didn't know much music of....

I'd just feel silly because it would be misrepresentative. I'd feel like I was portraying myself as being something I'm not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

I scratched the "British Made" label off my tin whistle :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Mikel91

My Girlfriend as a bag that has the Union Jack on it so every time she has it nI blast her with piss!

Oh god I hope she never sees this hah hah

Is this line really necessary as an introduction for every second post you make?

Stating that a man should divorce his wife because she brought him back a jumper which he didn't really like also seems a bit extreme. You really come out with some odd things.

It is entirely relevant to state that I am London-Irish (as it makes people aware I was born in Britain). Therefore one can have the informed perspective from someone who has dual nationality; both British and Irish.
    When discussing national flags, your nationality is of the utmost relevance.
    I would not stop at divorce personally. I would take things further than that.
    I regard it as a personal insult if someone gives an Irish citizen a Union Jack in any form. One has to be sensitive and aware of the history of conflict between Britain and Ireland.
    Would you give an Israeli a t-shirt with a Palestinian flag on it? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 OpTiMuS Pr1mE

You did the right thing I would in me bollix wear that.

I scratched the "British Made" label off my tin whistle :p

It's impossible to get it off oul orange flutes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

no way would I wear it. saying that i wont wear any flag

It is entirely relevant to state that I am London-Irish (as it makes people aware I was born in Britain). Therefore one can have the informed perspective from someone who has dual nationality; both British and Irish.
    When discussing national flags, your nationality is of the utmost relevance.
    I would not stop at divorce personally. I would take things further than that.
    I regard it as a personal insult if someone gives an Irish citizen a Union Jack in any form. One has to be sensitive and aware of the history of conflict between Britain and Ireland.
    Would you give an Israeli a t-shirt with a Palestinian flag on it? No.

Out of interest, why do you have dual nationality?

You have already suggested that you would take the rather peculiar course of action of burning a marks and spencer suit simply for having a union flag on the inside pocket. This to me suggests a certain level of anger (as well as mental instability). How can you tolerate a British passport?

The fact that you don't appear to be joking when stating that you "would not stop at divorce personally. I would take things further than that." is also really rather disturbing. All that over a jumper? I hope to god that women have the good sense to steer clear of you.

Yes, I have.
    I hate Britain. I have never felt British despite being born there. I always felt Irish, due to being born to Irish parents; and raised as Irish.
    Children of the Irish diaspora often have this hatred of their country of birth, and become polarised. As we feel we are something different and do not belong to our country of birth; we reject and hate anything associated with it, and embrace anything that relates to our parents nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Reebok Classics kid!

• Advertisement

Yes, I have.
    I hate Britain. I have never felt British despite being born there. I always felt Irish, due to being born to Irish parents; and raised as Irish.
    Children of the Irish diaspora often have this hatred of their country of birth, and become polarised. As we feel we are something different and do not belong to our country of birth; we reject and hate anything associated with it, and embrace anything that relates to our parents nationality.

Reminds me of something else, but that's not for here.

Agricola wrote: »
    Doire, perhaps!?

I am prepared to accept that as an alternative.
    Personally I prefer SaorDhoire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

All Reeboks wearers in Carrick on Suir black the flag out with marker...Well they did years ago anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 coyotefitzy

I worked in a high end clothes shop in Cork a few years ago, we got in a load of new stock to be displayed, and in the batch was a wool hat with the Union Jack embroidered on the front. My manager, (She was Scottish) suggested I put them at the back of the rail, and the floor manager (He was Polish) suggested we just put them behind the counter. They went on the display on the floor, hidden behind other hats, there was no issue for me to display & sell them, as I was working in a British chain store.
    I would not buy it or wear it, and I'm guessing it would be the same as asking a Polish person if they would wear something with the German or Russian flag on it.

I am prepared to accept that as an alternative.
    Personally I prefer SaorDhoire.

LondainDoire.

Well done, a bit of humour from you for once :)

Quick, back to the barricades . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

charlemont wrote: »
    All Reeboks wearers in Carrick on Suir black the flag out with marker...Well they did years ago anyway.

Why would somebody buy the damn things in the first place if they're going to do that? :confused:

Feckin eejits

Out of interest, why do you have duel nationality?

You have already suggested that you would take the rather peculiar course of action of burning a marks and spencer suit simply for having a union flag on the inside pocket. This to me suggests a certain level of anger (as well as mental instability). How can you tolerate a British passport?

The fact that you don't appear to be joking when stating that you "would not stop at divorce personally. I would take things further than that." is also really rather disturbing. All that over a jumper? I hope to god that women have the good sense to steer clear of you.

Duel: Fight.
    Dual: Two.
    I have dual nationality as I was born in Britain.
    I have an Irish passport not a British one. I choose not to avail of the option of a British passport.
    I think for a wife to buy her Irish husband an item of clothing with the Union Jack flag on it is a disgrace. I regard it as a personal insult. During the IRA's bombing campaign in Britain during the 1980's as a child I witnessed the discrimination and prejudice Irish people experienced in London from the English. On public transport the Irish had to hide their accents for fear of abuse. I feel very strongly that people should be aware of the history of conflict between Britain and Ireland. The Union Jack and tricolour flags are symbolic; not just of nationality; but also of sectarianism. One needs to be sensitive about the ramifications of an Irish man wearing a Union Jack flag.
    For the record, I have an Irish girlfriend who respects my views.

Duel: Fight.
    Dual: Two.
    I have dual nationality as I was born in Britain.
    I have an Irish passport not a British one. I choose not to avail of the option of a British passport.
    I think for a wife to buy her Irish husband an item of clothing with the Union Jack flag on it is a disgrace. I regard it as a personal insult. During the IRA's bombing campaign in Britain during the 1980's as a child I witnessed the discrimination and prejudice Irish people experienced in London from the English. On public transport the Irish had to hide their accents for fear of abuse. I feel very strongly that people should be aware of the history of conflict between Britain and Ireland. The Union Jack and tricolour flags are symbolic; not just of nationality; but also of sectarianism. One needs to be sensitive about the ramifications of an Irish man wearing a Union Jack flag.
    For the record, I have an Irish girlfriend who respects my views.

Firstly, I have reported your post for picking up on a spelling error. Secondly, so you don't have dual nationality? You don't have a British passport and evidently don't feel even the slightest attachment to the nation. Why did you lie?

Thirdly, I find it rather amusing that you would be so unapologetically intolerant of Britain and the Union Flag due to the history of the relationship between the countries, yet you express anger at people on British buses being hostile towards the Irish in the middle of an Irish bombing campaign. Hilarious. Do you not see any sort of comparison there?

Lastly, I'm just thankful your Irish girlfriend respects your views. Otherwise you may chuck her out, or worse...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

an Irish bombing campaign.

IRA bombing campaign.

Bombs don't have a nationality.

Advertisement