Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic / Rangers - off field Matters

• 18-01-2012 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭

A new thread for discussion on matters not specifically linked to the football side of both clubs........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

attachment.php?attachmentid=12557&d=1287528280&thumb=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I'm just posting in here to say that I won't be posting in here! ;)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Religion forum <<<<< thata way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭dahat

celticbest wrote: »
    A new thread for discussion on matters not specifically linked to the football side of both clubs........

I am going to tell you a secret pal,this is a soccer/football forum,don't tell anyone though and they might let you keep this thread

Is there any way that the title of this thread can be changed so that RFC are given their real name - THE Rangers?

We don't want KeithAFC to go off on a sulk now do we?!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Is this the I'm No A Billy And He's A Tim thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

dahat wrote: »
    I am going to tell you a secret pal,this is a soccer/football forum,don't tell anyone though and they might let you keep this thread

:eek: No way !!

The reason this thread has been created is for that very purpose.

If you read the current threads related to both clubs you would see most of the talk is related to crap that is ongoing of the pitch, this thread was created in order to allow all the off field talk to go into one specific place and allow the current threads to be more specific to the playing side of both clubs, ie, Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours as per there titles,

Rangers FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Although this thread is still soccer related it is not specific to on field goings on....

I'm just posting in here to say that I won't be posting in here! ;)

Is there any way that the title of this thread can be changed so that RFC are given their real name - THE Rangers?

We don't want KeithAFC to go off on a sulk now do we?!:D

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Can I just take this opportunity to say that Rangers fans eat the children of Irish immigrants

Thank you.

Can I just take this opportunity to say that Rangers fans eat the children of Irish immigrants

Thank you.

WTF.....

Bad taste, very bad taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

dahat wrote: »

This a hundred times.

Unless this is a thread about how each team trains, eats, and sleeps "off the field" (which I suspect it isn't), there shouldn't be a place for it here.

Non-football Celtic/Rangers talk means religion, politics, or bullshíttery. I'm sure there are forums that cater to each. The less of it we get infesting the soccer forum, the better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I wanted to write something that summed up my feelings on Celtic and Rangers, but Mr Bongos did it perfectly for me. Personally, I care little for the on-field aspects of Scottish football, and care even less for the off-field aspects.

Personally speaking, growing up in a town where the decision to support a club was based almost solely on peer pressure and hatred of a different religon/country, it's easy for me not to care these days.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I wanted to write something that summed up my feelings on Celtic and Rangers, but Mr Bongos did it perfectly for me. Personally, I care little for the on-field aspects of Scottish football, and care even less for the off-field aspects.

Personally speaking, growing up in a town where the decision to support a club was based almost solely on peer pressure and hatred of a different religon/country, it's easy for me not to care these days.

Funny how you don't care much about any of it, yet still felt the need to post in here to tell us.... erm... how little you care. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭dahat

:eek: No way !!

The reason this thread has been created is for that very purpose.

If you read the current threads related to both clubs you would see most of the talk is related to crap that is ongoing of the pitch, this thread was created in order to allow all the off field talk to go into one specific place and allow the current threads to be more specific to the playing side of both clubs, ie, Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours as per there titles,

Rangers FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Although this thread is still soccer related it is not specific to on field goings on....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

You see this for me shows the ignorance of non Rangers or Celtic fans. I did not start supporting my team for any of the reasons you have given and while I know people that did the biggest majority of people I know that are Rangers or Celtic fans started supporting their team for football reasons

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

You see this for me shows the ignorance of non Rangers or Celtic fans. I did not start supporting my team for any of the reasons you have given and while I know people that did the biggest majority of people I know that are Rangers or Celtic fans started supporting their team for football reasons

As I have stated very clearly in my post, these are my personal experiences when growing up. I am not saying that every Celtic or Rangers supporter started supporting their team for religous/political reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I know that are Rangers or Celtic fans started supporting their team for football reasons

That's not true for a lot of people...especially in rural towns and villages where people would support an English team or sometimes even an Irish team but will insist of having a "second club" that is always Celtic! Add a few from the "fúck the huns" Celtic all the way crew and you've a rather nice group there.

I'd write more only I'm sick as a hound here at home and falling asleep.

As I have stated very clearly in my post, these are my personal experiences when growing up. I am not saying that every Celtic or Rangers supporter started supporting their team for religous/political reasons.

You are not alone there, mate. Exact same issue here.

Maybe fans who take the time to come online and talk about their team on a forum don't fit into this category, but anyone saying "Most Celtic fans don't follow for these reasons", when talking about Irish people, is talking total nonsense. The vast majority in this country support them because they're told they should.

Trilla wrote: »
    That's not true for a lot of people...especially in rural towns and villages where people would support an English team or sometimes even an Irish team but will insist of having a "second club" that is always Celtic! Add a few from the "fúck the huns" Celtic all the way crew and you've a rather nice group there.

I can speak on the less-rural side of things. Brought up in the dreggs of north Dublin suburbia myself, and if you didn't follow Celtic, you "weren't a football fan" were I was from. Total peer pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dumbo thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

stovelid wrote: »
    Dumbo thread.

Well done you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

"second club"

That's all i need to see from that quote.

I often say Everton is my "second club" or my "English team" - should my actions and opinions be used to gauge those of the people who follow Everton week in week out? Of course they shouldnt.

Yes, due to the politics and issues of Ireland, and their unfortunate links to Scotland the Old Firm pick up a fair few idiots along the way, however the vast majority of those who support either club want nothing to do with those people as they are the ones that lead to the unfair assesment of both sets of fans.

Don't get me wrong, both sets of fans have their issues, but they are hugely amplified by those taggers on and by the fact that they are two huge clubs in a small country which means the media coverage is way out of whack with what it really should be.

carlcon wrote: »
    The vast majority support them because they're told they should.

I can speak on the less-rural side of things. Brought up in the dreggs of north Dublin suburbia myself, and if you didn't follow Celtic, you "weren't a football fan" were I was from. Total peer pressure.

Who tells them??

:confused: I'm originally from the North side & always got abused saying I know nothning about soccer because I support Celtic, they all seem to think you need to follow Man U, Liverpool or chelsea in order to be a 'REAL' football supporter............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

stovelid wrote: »
    Dumbo thread.
    I agree. Who started it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

How about you give us some matters to discuss regarding non footballing matters with regards to both teams, what do you propose we discuss?

Proposing a thread like this and then not giving input into your ideas is pretty poor IMO.

Also, IMO, this been the Soccer Forum, only Soccer related discussions should occur but its not for me to decide.

gavredking wrote: »
    How about you give us some matters to discuss regarding non footballing matters with regards to both teams, what do you propose we discuss?

Proposing a thread like this and then not giving input into your ideas is pretty poor IMO.

Also, IMO, this been the Soccer Forum, only Soccer related discussions should occur but its not for me to decide.

To be fair (And i agree with you in most resepcts) it has started an open conversation regarding peoples reasons for supporting/disliking the old firm. Something that usually ends up in childish remarks and petty insults (although i'm sure the "SPL's ****e" brigade will appear soon) so if nothing else, it has that going for it!

I agree. Who started it?

Me, 'cause I'm sick of going into the Celtic thread and reading crap not related to the fotball side of the club, per the following example,(Since 7:58 today)
    PauloMN wrote: »
    The thread name hasn't been agreed on, sure the thread hasn't even been agreed. But I'm sure we could come up with something suitable.
    Isn't it kinda ironic that possibly 20-100 posts have gone by here without much mention of football, because a discussion of sectarianism is going on? Why don't you start another thread on it and get a general consensus??
    If you can, will you also tell me what Sectarian acts Celtic and their fans are involved in. We are in the Celtic thread after all.

How dare rival fans 'snipe' at eachother, now we're going to suffer the wrath of a moderator.
    How about this ?

Celtic / Rangers - off field Matters

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056521288
    Ah thats right the Tic fans are all angels not a sectarian slur in sight. I have never been on the recieving end of chants from these angels :rolleyes:
    'Hun' is not sectarian (if it was then how come you guys used to call us the 'huns'? and how come every other team in Scotland calls you guys 'huns'?)

Orangeism is not a religion.
    Bobby calling us Orange Bastards is sectarian as the OO is part of the Protestant faith
    As for Hun I proved it was and still is sectarian after the last Rangers Celtic game but you decided to ignore it

Also if it was only us you called huns then just maybe you could get away with it but the fact you use the term against Hearts and Kilmarnock fans as well puts an end to that

If you don't believe me go and shout at a Scottish policeman that Rangers fans are huns you will soon see if its sectarian or not
    I'm still working on that mate - I think I said I'd get you info in the New Year... maybe it's time for me to put up or shut up so!:D

I'll try and find it and post it here today!
    All you need to do is go into that thread I posted the relevant article mate :p
    RoryMac wrote: »
    Nice to see James Forrest get mentioned in a FIFA list of young players to watch in 2012. The guy has a bright future ahead.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1567609.html
    Wrong way around - the OO is not part of the Protestant faith BBE. Being Protestant is simply an entry requirement to the OO.

The OO is a disgrace to Protestantism.

(That's my last on the matter, sorry I should have posted it in the other thread).
    We're going to be a fight in future to keep a hold of him, that's for sure. Wonder how long we'll get out of him?

He's been fantastic for us this season, and is definitely part of the reason we're now top of the league.
    Why didn't you just delete it before clicking 'post'? By other thread does that mean there is now a new thread up and running??
    If I wanted to bring up rangers fans singing about Celtic Boys Club at the recent Celtic rangers game would that go in here, next door or the new sectarian thread?

So far 2 posts related to on field matter & 10 not.......

Need I say more?

I know that are Rangers or Celtic fans started supporting their team for football reasons

In Ireland yes but not Scotland where believe it or not most Rangers or Celtic fans come from. It was only when I returned to Ireland I witnessed shag you ae talking about
    Sorry I should have made my original post a bit clearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Eirebear wrote: »
    That's all i need to see from that quote.

I often say Everton is my "second club" or my "English team" - should my actions and opinions be used to gauge those of the people who follow Everton week in week out? Of course they shouldnt.

Personally speaking, 80-90% of the people were I grew up that had Celtic as their first or second club always spouted non football related reasons for supporting/following them.

Naturally, proper supporters of Rangers and Celtic get annoyed by this and the frequent labelling from other supporters, .but to say it a lot of this peer pressure and nonsense bull**** sectarianism talk does not exists is wrong. I've seen it in Dublin, in my home town, other posters have seen it in their area. It exists.

There was never an argument that all Celtic or Rangers fans are like this. It is fair to say that a lot of them are however judging from my own and others experiences.

I really should sleep now!

Who tells them??

Mostly, it was the ol' lads with the dodgy tattoo'd Irish flags on their arms, in my experience. It was almost entirely a sectarian stance, in terms of it being a mash-up of religion, nationalism/republicanism, and a general disregard for "the Brits".

Just remembering now... because I wasn't a Celtic fan, I was a "West Brit". That's apparently how people inside the pale were divided where I was from - "True Irish Celtic fans", or, well... you know the rest.

Again, only speaking from my own experience in the suburbs of North Dublin, where it was a very uneducated, anti-brit, pro-IRA, pro-Sinn Fein stance... while pretty much knowing nothing about what they believed... but just believing it because everyone else did. Or rather, "most did".

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »
    To be fair (And i agree with you in most resepcts) it has started an open conversation regarding peoples reasons for supporting/disliking the old firm. Something that usually ends up in childish remarks and petty insults (although i'm sure the "SPL's ****e" brigade will appear soon) so if nothing else, it has that going for it!

I dont support either and I wouldnt say I dislike the SPL, I have no genuine reason too.

I agree with most on here regarding both sets of fans, the majority of fans are genuine supporters that dont deserve to be tarnished by the reputation that they've been given over the actions of a miniority.

My thoughts on the SPL, and I'm no expert, is that it has becomre more competitive in the last few years and this can only be a good thing for the overall structure of the league.

There can be too much emphasis, by some sections of the media put on the political and religious side of things, which is unfortunate as both clubs play the game we all know and love.

gavredking wrote: »

How about :
    * Martin Bains Suing Rangers
    * Rangers & HMRC onging dispute
    * The Green Brigade & what songs should / should not be sung @ CP

Did I mention that all Celtic fans enjoy it when British citizens, be they military, police or civilian, get blown up by terrorist bombs.

The first was mildly funny, that's pushing the boundaries a bit there I think. :(

The first was mildly funny, that's pushing the boundaries a bit there I think. :(

Report sent....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Personally speaking, 80-90% of the people were I grew up that had Celtic as their first or second club always spouted non football related reasons for supporting/following them.
    They're usually the type of person who only ever watches the old firm game anyway. Any other day of the year and they wouldn't say a word about either team, but on old firm day they give it loads. I have a special sort of disdain reserved for them.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Problem is, reporting it might end up getting this thread closed as a "troublesome" thread. Best let the WUMs vent for the first day or two, then the thread will settle down into what it should be.

• Advertisement

As long as theres a reasoned debate thenthe thread shouldnt get closed over the actions of the odd poster here or there.

Its a decent conceot once it doesnt descend into the usual spats that see most rival club threads closed.

Fair enough, I'll delete it, but I'm sure that sooner or later this thread will end up with a post not a million miles from that or my first one.

They're usually the type of person who only ever watches the old firm game anyway. Any other day of the year and they wouldn't say a word about either team, but on old firm day they give it loads. I have a special sort of disdain reserved for them.

Like Utd fans who you don't hear a peep from when they are playing Wigan or Bolton, but who'll be giving it loads v Liverpool or City.

It happens in every league, none of this is confined to the SPL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Fair enough, I'll delete it, but I'm sure that sooner or later this thread will end up with a post not a million miles from that or my first one.

Yeah but it most likely won't come from a Celtic or Rangers fan!

RoryMac wrote: »
    Yeah but it most likely won't come from a Celtic or Rangers fan!

That's very true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

This thread is silly IMO.

You're obviously talking about Rangers so.

:pac:

Thought you werent posting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm interested to what Rangers supporters esp Glaswegian Rangers supporters feel about the whole scottish independence thingy....surely being so pro-british they're against it? yes/no??

whats the word on the street?

fryup wrote: »
    i'm interested to what Rangers supporters esp Glaswegian Rangers supporters feel about the whole scottish independence thingy....surely being so pro-british they're against it? yes/no??

They're pro-Queen as well, but they don't pay the Queen's taxes. ;)

fryup wrote: »

There's a thread about Scottish Independence:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056515566#

Oh dear here we go typical generalisations about Rangets fans all being pro British and loving the queen I have never sang GSTQ at a Rangets game and I know many others haven't. As for independence the Rangers forum I use had a poll about this and the last time I looked it was 70 to 30 percent against independence, now that's a fair amount for it IMO like every other club we have a mix of fans but yes many are pro British but many would like Scotland to be independent to

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement