Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which CCTV system

Options
  • 18-01-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭

Hi all, few burglaries ajnd oil thefts around the area so I am looking at fitting CCTV. I've looked round the forum and it seems there are a lot of different systems, from basic hard wired, wireless, pc connected, sim card text message systems out there also do I connect to a p.c. hard drive or DVR?

It would be nice to continually monitor but not essential, really looking for it to act as a deterrant and if worst comes to the worse have images of perps.

I could buy a kit and install myself or get a company to supply and fit so as a general overview what should I be looking for. Standard rectangular 2 storey detached house.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Have a google for oil guard, this can be connected to an alarm system to monitor the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

Hope to be installing one myself later in the year.
    You mention the deterrant factor,the way I see it is,if some scumfewk wants to take something and see a camera,they will simply disguise themselves,and take it. If they don't see the camera,there's less chance of them disguising themselves,and more chance of you getting an image. So,imo,putting up visible cameras,is a bit of a daft thing to do. Go for the hidden cams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Rangi wrote: »
    Hope to be installing one myself later in the year.
    You mention the deterrant factor,the way I see it is,if some scumfewk wants to take something and see a camera,they will simply disguise themselves,and take it. If they don't see the camera,there's less chance of them disguising themselves,and more chance of you getting an image. So,imo,putting up visible cameras,is a bit of a daft thing to do. Go for the hidden cams.

I'm open to correction here, but I remember being told when I put up my own cctv system in 2010 that you had to have visible warning signs on your property to the effect that cctv is in operation.
    Apparently, under Irish law, thieving scum have a legal right to know that they are being recorded as they carry out their business.
    If you don't have the appropriate warning notices in place, then footage or stills cannot be used in court for evidentiary purposes.
    Now, all that said, I chose not to hide my cameras and I didn't bother with the notices- and I can tell you things have got very quiet around my house.
    All I can tell you is that it was the best €399 I ever spent!
    Hope this helps the OP.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'm open to correction here, but I remember being told when I put up my own cctv system in 2010 that you had to have visible warning signs on your property to the effect that cctv is in operation.
    Apparently, under Irish law, thieving scum have a legal right to know that they are being recorded as they carry out their business.
    If you don't have the appropriate warning notices in place, then footage or stills cannot be used in court for evidentiary purposes.
    Now, all that said, I chose not to hide my cameras and I didn't bother with the notices- and I can tell you things have got very quiet around my house.
    All I can tell you is that it was the best €399 I ever spent!
    Hope this helps the OP.

There is no requirement to notify. Think about it , you are being recorded on CCTV on almost every street you walk & almost every premises you enter. Signs are there by choice as a deterrant.We have supplied tons of fottage that has been used without any warnings be shown. If the images are didital & there is no digital watermarking these can be dismissed ,in court, as being unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Commercial premises are meant to have signs and contact details on them.
    Full details on the data protection website but it is not enforced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Here is a link to the CCTV location on the data protection site, there case studies make good reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Putting up the correct signs will also act as a visual deterrent

Advertisement